Cryopod Changes in ASA

iDash

• Volunteer Moderator
48 minutes ago, Noricha said:

People will wait till December then.  You’re all calm now, but wait till you start hand feeding your first baby Dino, and getting up early to imprint it before you go to work, and when you get home it’ll have died from starvation because you missed it by 5 minutes.  If only you had a cryopod…

What's interesting is, this time around, people on the Xbox platform can jump on and feed/imprint using Cloud Gaming and a phone. 

Wish I had that back in the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will be hard going in to the caves with small tames or without tames as tames you are used to - do not pass entrance.

Will be hard to tame new dino and get it alive  across the map to safe base.

I guess how i will perform on gen2 quests with so bad  movement speed. It was already hard, now it will be impossible 

Edited by Noa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/7/2023 at 1:11 AM, Noricha said:

People will wait till December then.  You’re all calm now, but wait till you start hand feeding your first baby Dino, and getting up early to imprint it before you go to work, and when you get home it’ll have died from starvation because you missed it by 5 minutes.  If only you had a cryopod…

December 2024, and that is extremely optimistic. If they release a map each 3 months I would be surprised
I would expect Extinction spring 2025 earliest
Of course this is all moot point. The functionality exists in the game, so Dino Storage mod will highly likely show up soon after launch, just like various stacking and weight reduction mods. Ark players dont like adversity in their survival game, they want it nice and easy 😁
Cryopod enjoyers just need to put their big girl pants on and wait a bit

2 hours ago, Ragefury said:

The functionality exists in the game, so Dino Storage mod will highly likely show up soon after launch, just like various stacking and weight reduction mods.

You can't seriously think that the bulk of people complaining about cryopods are playing on servers that can use mods. Yeah, of course there are remedies on unofficial/private/single-player servers, it should be pretty obvious that the people who are complaining the most about this are people who like to play on official servers. The fact that mods can make up for this is 98% a moot point.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ragefury said:

December 2024, and that is extremely optimistic. If they release a map each 3 months I would be surprised
I would expect Extinction spring 2025 earliest
Of course this is all moot point. The functionality exists in the game, so Dino Storage mod will highly likely show up soon after launch, just like various stacking and weight reduction mods. Ark players dont like adversity in their survival game, they want it nice and easy 😁
Cryopod enjoyers just need to put their big girl pants on and wait a bit

You're probably part of an alpha tribe. 

Fact is this change is going to make it so that only a few of the biggest tribes on a given server are going to be able to have dinos.

Every smaller solo or duo is going to get tame sniped or raided in a day or two.

Cryopods allowed for everyone to be able to enjoy having a vast array of dinos, especially those in small hidden bases.

This change sucks and I guarantee cryopods are going to get reintroduced into the game before the end of the year because not having them is going to screw over 85% of the player base

• Like 1

I won't be playing ASA until the Dino Storage mod or something like it is available. So no cryopods is not an issue for me, since I never use them.

Also I agree, why don't they have different settings for stuff like this for PvP and PvE

Most things nerfed or removed for PvP make absolutely no sense to be the same in PvE.

• Like 1

While i certainly miss the good ole "early ark" experience at times, Cryopods at this point is a deffo must have. I play on Single Player, and the catch and breed aspect is my favorite part of the game, so im not thrilled about possibly have 500+ tames taking up insane amounts of space and creating lag and confusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As someone who looks forward to getting cryopods again, I'm enjoying the experience of not having them for now. I'm sure that later when I start delving into crazy mutations and such I'll very quickly start changing my mind, though. If anything, not having any form of dino storage for now is going to make us appreciate it a bit more when it gets here with Extinction. I wanted to move my base closer to the Redwoods and I had to do a huge back-and-forth caravan to get all my stuff moved the old-fashioned way instead of podding up all my dinos and flying over to the new spot. If I want to "store" any of my dinos, I'll probably have to bring them all the way to an obelisk for upload.

Granted, I primarily play PvE and single-player, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I can't really speak for the PVP experience.

Cryopods we’re introduced in extinction so that’s when they’ll arrive if they stick to they’re word. Until then it’ll be like it was in the beginning when we first started playing beta on ASE. As for PVP think of it as a blessing takes longer for uploading and downloading of dinosaurs when cross server raiding as for PVE management of large amounts of dinosaurs is something you’re going to have to plan around especially when it comes to breeding and without offline raid protection keeping you dinosaurs on neutral or inside a walled area will help. As for the big breeders on PVE you never cryoed up your stuff anyway.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:16 AM, skeeta said:

To be honest, the first time I ever saw dino cap messages on an official server was in my Ragnarok base. How long after launch was that?

Two weeks is probably a tad pessimistic sir. I believe cryopods will be in the game way before caps are threatened.

Not with trying to force 70 players per server. I know that limit existed before but there were plenty of servers to move to that had less so it was often 40 or less at a time. This time they have too few servers forcing the population to max which means less dinos per players because I would bet that server dino cap (5500) is still the same.

5500/70 = 78.57 which is oddly close to the 100 cap they started with. 

I welcome the challenge of no pods. I like rules that make games harder...for the fun of it.  Ark is a marathon anyway. Enjoy it. Stop complaining. Roll up your sleeves and figure it out. Strategize. Use time wisely. Position yourself for success.  Build two bases to spread out the herd. Breed on weekends. Tribe up and take turns babysitting. Build a community on the server so you don't all breed rexes.  Specialize and trade.  Think smart. Survive. You can do it. Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

My understanding is cryopods are just waiting until the map they came out with, the devs did say that content will be released alongside the appropriate maps. I think that means Extinction will add Cyropods? This is how Ark was for years, it's a bit annoying and servers probably could up tame limits to compensate in the meantime, but it's not a permanent issue either.

Well, there is a mod (well a couple) that already add the Cryopods back into the game. No Dino Storage mod, but one Cryopod mod even has a gun similar to Dino Storage. This is great for people like me that play on unofficial servers. 

I'm a bit surprised by how many and how fast mods were created. Some are junk of course, but many already work very well.

• slejo changed the title to No CRYOPODS in ASA is very bad idea!

Wildcard really dropped the ball by not rebooting offical PvE to be drastically different. The fact that you can't get rid of any other players structures really ruins the gameplay. I don't understand why wildcard didn't do anything to resolve the way toxic players destroy public servers with building spam... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Legitarkplayer23 said:

Wildcard really dropped the ball by not rebooting offical PvE to be drastically different. The fact that you can't get rid of any other players structures really ruins the gameplay. I don't understand why wildcard didn't do anything to resolve the way toxic players destroy public servers with building spam... 

My theory is they really don't want PvE players to play on official servers, so no reason to improve this.

The game is fine if you rent, run, or join an unofficial community server. That is how I play and I almost never see any pillars. If there are, the admin is quick to remove them. They simply are not allowed per the rules of almost all unofficial servers.

BTW, there have been plenty of discussions on how to improve PvE on officials. As far as I've read, not one working solution has been found. Many were tried in Atlas (really a ARK clone with ships). Nothing works short of good server admins which ARK will never have.

Edited by wildbill

23 hours ago, wildbill said:

BTW, there have been plenty of discussions on how to improve PvE on officials. As far as I've read, not one working solution has been found. Many were tried in Atlas (really a ARK clone with ships). Nothing works short of good server admins which ARK will never have.

One solution not tried is Home instances much like in Palia. They are not really trying to fix the problem. They only care that you keep playing. Cryopods were a step in the right direction and their poor judgement lead to this, unless they have a better implementation that is not ready yet.

On 11/6/2023 at 11:52 AM, Legitarkplayer23 said:

What you seem to be hinting at is not PVE. Most PVE players HATE PVP not just dislike it. They do have a mechanic to remove other players structures and it is time based and material based. The problem now is too few servers and constant rollbacks resetting timers. Plus in my experience when a server goes down is doesn't just set the time back to the rollback but also seems to rollback to a minimum of 12 hours. I am not sure if this is still happening but this is probably a grace period because of game stability.

As far as players being toxic well that is just selfish human nature. No update can change that. PVP is for selfish people they should play there.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Cinnamongod said:

One solution not tried is Home instances much like in Palia. They are not really trying to fix the problem. They only care that you keep playing. Cryopods were a step in the right direction and their poor judgement lead to this, unless they have a better implementation that is not ready yet.

Home instances have not been tried, but they have been discussed, and dismissed as a good solution for this game. Solutions that work well in other games will not necessarily work well in ARK, and using home instances is one of those not-good-for-ARK solutions.

Home instances are great... in some games, but they would look and feel pretty wonky and out of place with ARK. Open-world-sandbox-built-whatever-you-want isn't the kind of game that lends itself to home instances, they don't go great together.

• Volunteer Moderator
18 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Home instances have not been tried, but they have been discussed, and dismissed as a good solution for this game. Solutions that work well in other games will not necessarily work well in ARK, and using home instances is one of those not-good-for-ARK solutions.

Home instances are great... in some games, but they would look and feel pretty wonky and out of place with ARK. Open-world-sandbox-built-whatever-you-want isn't the kind of game that lends itself to home instances, they don't go great together.

They were pretty terrible when they did it in WoW as well.