Welcome our new Argy overlords! (Beaver vs Argy)

DarthaNyan

I think it is about time for someone to bring up the issue that Argies post TLC will greatly outclass beavers in utility:

++ Argies can fly (beavers can swim tho)
+ Argies have higher base weight which means that they gain more per wild level AND they gain more weight per domesticated level (5.5% on argies vs 4% on beavers).
+ Argies will be capable of rapid healing by killing stuff.
+ Argies can carry dinos.
= Argies will gain weight reduction to some materials, probably same set or close to beaver's.
= smithy saddle on both.
- beavers can farm wood (but outclassed at it by other creatures)

So as a portable smithy weight-trained Argy will be vastly superior to Beaver: 50 wild levels + 100% imprint + 50 tamed levels on a beaver is 2160 weight, same setup on an argy is 3600 weight.

Due to flyer change, Argies do not spend points into speed making it way easier to find ones with 55+ points into weight.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

i actually prefer beavers over mammoths for wood. may try getting a mammoth though, been awhile sense i used one

Mammoths are a lot better for Wood. They get -75% reduced Weight of Wood (compared to -50% of Beaver), and have a much higher Carry Weight potential. They can also knock back smaller/medium sized dinos when fighting.

7 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

I think it is about time for someone to bring up the issue that Argies post TLC will greatly outclass beavers in utility:

++ Argies can fly (beavers can swim tho)
+ Argies have higher base weight which means that they gain more per wild level AND they gain more weight per domesticated level (5.5% on argies vs 4% on beavers).
+ Argies will be capable of rapid healing by killing stuff.
+ Argies can carry dinos.
= Argies will gain weight reduction to some materials, probably same set or close to beaver's.
= smithy saddle on both.
- beavers can farm wood (but outclassed at it by other creatures)

So as a portable smithy weight-trained Argy will be vastly superior to Beaver: 50 wild levels + 100% imprint + 50 tamed levels on a beaver is 2160 weight, same setup on an argy is 3600 weight.

Due to flyer change, Argies do not spend points into speed making it way easier to find ones with 55+ points into weight.

So if argie has smithy saddle with extra weight than beaver, this would give potential to make some of the larger saddles that wont fit into beaver or thorny? I have an ascendant casteroid that wont fit into beaver or thorny but if you get same weight reduction with argy I could fit it into 3600 weight argie. 

38 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Ideally, the weight reduction will be for materials that aren't widely reduced by other creatures (i.e. Obsidian, Crystal).

Logically, it should be materials commonly used in smithy.

Although i do believe that Obsidian reduction should be added to Doed and Crystal to Ankylo.

And yes, smithy saddle on a flying mount sounds silly imo - imagine yourself pounding that anvil in the midair.

10 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Logically, it should be materials commonly used in smithy.

Although i do believe that Obsidian reduction should be added to Doed and Crystal to Ankylo.

And yes, smithy saddle on a flying mount sounds silly imo - imagine yourself pounding that anvil in the midair.

If they move forward with the smithy saddle, they gotta add a noise where the Argy squawks indignantly whenever you use it.

Obby to Doed and Crystal to Anky makes sense, but I'd be fine if it were added to something else. That'd create a system similar to the Theri + Mammoth harvesting, where you mass harvest with the Theri then dump it onto the Mammoth.

2 hours ago, gsneale said:

So if argie has smithy saddle with extra weight than beaver, this would give potential to make some of the larger saddles that wont fit into beaver or thorny? I have an ascendant casteroid that wont fit into beaver or thorny but if you get same weight reduction with argy I could fit it into 3600 weight argie. 

That's not a saddle problem, that's a smithy problem. WC can fix that with a tiny patch to smithys. I'd add that personal-inventory-craftable items should be directly craftable from smithys too so you don't have encumbrance issues crafting in your inventory.

1 hour ago, Showeryfever1 said:

Wonder what new sized dino's they'll be able to carry... Doed would be cool, about the same size as a Megaloceros/Beaver as well

i'm pretty sure that they will be able to carry in claws same set of dinos they currently have. And additionally small creatures (the set ptera can carry) in beak.

1 hour ago, Milsurp said:

I'd add that personal-inventory-craftable items should be directly craftable from smithys too so you don't have encumbrance issues crafting in your inventory.

If you put blueprint in dino's inventory and all the mats as well - you can craft from it.

29 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Give quetzals the ability to get Stam in the air

You already can do that. Feed them high stamina custom food (use a stack of rare mushrooms to cook and name it "Jet Fuel" for clarity) and they'll regen stam mid flight as long as you dont sprint.

29 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

and ptera a barrel roll without a cool down and sime extra steam and speed for both 

i doubt they introduced barrel roll cooldown just to remove it again and Ptera/Quetz dont really need higher stam or speed for what they are: a starting flying mount/scout and a flying hauling machine.

1 hour ago, SmokeyB said:

Can't wait for ptera and quetzals tlc now. 

Give quetzals the ability to get Stam in the air and ptera a barrel roll without a cool down and sime extra steam and speed for both 

Both of these used to be true on these dinosaurs before the Flyer Nerf.

Pteranodon without a cooldown on it's Barrel Roll was considered too oppressive. It could be used to fly faster than base, and with the damage it does, it made it a very lethal flyer.

Quetzal used to regenerate Stamina when you would dismount it mid-air, but having to never land during a raid maid them also oppressive.

10 hours ago, Showeryfever1 said:

Wonder what new sized dino's they'll be able to carry... Doed would be cool, about the same size as a Megaloceros/Beaver as well

Yeah, I agree. I always thought it weird the Doed couldn't be carried as it's quite small. Had to make up an excuse in my mind that the shell and build of it made it massively heavy :P

4 hours ago, Bigphule said:

You can't do that on official.  Custom Food does not effect tames.  

Have you tried it? Because i double checked it in un-modded single player with default settings before posting. There is no reason for it to not work on dedicated servers. It doesn't affect HP or food, but stamina regen works (albeit very slowly).

11 hours ago, Milsurp said:

That's not a saddle problem, that's a smithy problem. WC can fix that with a tiny patch to smithys. I'd add that personal-inventory-craftable items should be directly craftable from smithys too so you don't have encumbrance issues crafting in your inventory.

I've always thought when building that should be possible. Even if you could build non smithy items out of storage container or vault. Just dump all mats into storage container and craft away. Do a couple hundred walls at a time without having to move mats from different dinos.

4 hours ago, Bigphule said:

You can't do that on official.  Custom Food does not effect tames.  

• Custom Consumables may be used by tamed dinos. This appears to only grant the Stamina effect of the consumable. This may be useful for flying mounts, making it possible to cover extremely large areas without landing on a low-Stamina bird. It may also be useful as an emergency consumable to prevent a mount from automatically landing in a dangerous area when its stamina runs out.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Custom_Consumable

Archived