Community Crunch 381: Sunsets on ASE, New Horizons on ASA and FAQ

StudioWildcard

30 minutes ago, Diabolos said:

In PVE Gigas aren't going to be needed beyond meat gathering and king titan fights, as Carchas will be the new OSD go to. A good Basilo > a good tuso outside the water boss on gen 1 too. 

Depends on how ya play i guess. To some pve is about collecting not just 'need'. A strong imprinted giga, arguably easier to tame than carchers, early game, was good for killing titano's for xp. And i know a lot dont like the ocean but, way back when, alpha tuso and mosa were a great way 'if not best' to level up, let alone get black prls and fishing rods. so strong imprinted water tames were almost a necessity even if only to get artis from the 2 ocean caves. Again though, depends on how ya play

• Like 1

WOW!!! I mean really, just, WOW!!! Did you guys hire a new community manager or something? Cause this community crunch is completely different from what we've been getting for nearly a year now.

And I don't mean it's different because you guys aren't being "intentionally silent" anymore; btw whoever made the decision on how to handle that course of action is, or was, a complete idiot and should be fired because a company being "intentionally silent" and what you guys did over the last year are not one and the same. No, you guys were "INTENTIONALLY LOUD" and then when we asked for reassurance and security blankets after the comments which would obviously have caused this reaction, you became "suddenly silent" and "stand-off-ish" to the point where it felt like you punched us in the face and then when we asked "what was that for?" you responded by just giving us a middle finger.

No, and I don't mean it's different because there is actually a good sized wall of information for once; I mean, seriously, FINALLY!! This right here that you have for us is by no means complete, but at last it is a decent explaining of most of the major questions and issues we've been wanting greater clarification on for months! I mean, really guys, could you not have shared this info on a more regular basis until now? I don't think most if any of this information right here is "spoilery" or needed to be kept quiet on for so long. You've got a good 20 or 30 community crunches worth of info here that you could have sprinkled out over the last 7 months instead of dumping it all on us at once.

No; why I say this crunch is different, is because it feels like it's an actual real person actually talking to me. Instead of a nothing copy/paste of hollow empty comments, it feels like a real person who actually cares about what's going on is directly talking to their audience and attempting to express a range of information in a way that makes it feel like they are capable of connecting to that audience. This, WC, right here; THIS IS HOW YOU DO COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT!!! LEARN FROM THIS FOR ARKS SAKE!!! YOU NEED TO DO MORE OF THIS FROM NOW ON!!! I mean, when it comes to community management, it's not the amount or type of content that matters; it's how that content is delivered to its intended community. If you aren't sure about something when we ask you, then tell us that. If you need more time to do something, then tell us that. Be open and transparent; talk to us like we're all in the same room together at a party. This is community management; not the silent angry glare that you gave us for 7 months.

I mean, previously I wasn't really even considering buying ASA or Ark2 ever because of how you were conducting yourselves. From a company standpoint, it should have been expected that you would do something like this for this crunch, but from previous activity I wasn't really expecting anything at all. Now however, of course I'll still wait for a good while, but if all of what you've said here in this community crunch turns out to actually be true then I would be serious in considering buying it.(After it goes on sale for $20 or less of course. I still wouldn't give you guys the full amount because of how you've been the past 7 months. Gotta give you consequences so you'll learn somehow.) 

But I mean, FINALLY, just look at that cinematic screenshot of Ark in UE5!!!🥰

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

22 hours ago, adamtiburon said:

No cryos is a big problem. A lot of people play the game solo and can only play a few hours a day so these things are a necessity to not losing their tames every day, and then tame sniping will now be a huge issue for everyone who have a lot of time to play. This change, the no movement speed levels, and what I’ve heard about server transferring planned to not being allowed are all pretty bad negatives. 

No cryos at launch effectively kills any chance for solo pvp play. An immense letdown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Legitarkplayer23 said:

2015-17 offical Ark was the most fun I ever had playing any game ever and I'm legitimately emotional thinking about how much I'm going to love this game lol. I know I may sound silly but I'm just so thankful lmao.

My exact feelings as well, except that I very likely will still not like this remaster as much as I enjoyed the game in the beginning during 2015-2017. That time was a very magical time, and wc still won't revert the changes that made it so. If you didn't already know about it, and would like to read a little slice of that time for nostalgic reasons, then I've put the first 14 chapters of a nonfiction fanfic detailing my original journey with Ark Survival Evolved posted in the Creative Forums section of this website. 😉 

16 hours ago, Diabolos said:

sorry to burst your bubble, but NDA's are real, and there's only so much they can say until a green light is given. Peeps can literally get sued.

I understand, but that's not what I'm talking about. As I said; it's not the quantity or quality of information given from a community manager that matters, but the style in how it is delivered. If they can't tell me certain things because of an NDA, then fine; but tell me that. If you explain to me like a normal person that this is the reason why, then I'll understand. Zipping your mouth shut and then giving me double middle fingers is not the appropriate response for a community manager when responding to the community they are hired to manage. Yet, this is what wc did until now. What I'm happy about in relation to this crunch is that the language style used by whoever wrote it is completely different than what I've seen over the last year; and possibly even the last two years. It's a very nice change.

That pic isn't cinematic, it's concept art - Notable by looking at the clouds.

Hmmmmm.........a cinematic "concept" shot then? 🙃 I mean, I know it's clearly not a cinematic "in-game screenshot" but at least it is clearly using Ark UE5 assets rendered within the engine; as notable by the difference in the parasaur, raptor, and human models as well as the difference in lighting effect and the redesigned obelisk in the background. If nothing else, at least it finally gives a small idea as to what wc "intends" Ark in UE5 to look like. This is what they should have lead with 7 months ago; instead of leading with nothing. Well, really, they should just not have said anything until maybe a month ago and then unveiled their plans for ASE and ASA with this crunch instead.

An individual buyers purchase doesn't count much in the long run, and them holding info back is actually a smart development decision. There are many games that have been directed by the community and have ended up as trash. Look at Diablo 3, and 4.

True, but it's the principal of the matter. Me intentionally waiting for them to go on sale for $20 or maybe even $10 or less will matter more to me than it will to them. But I've still got to have my principals; and my principals say that their horrid conduct means I won't pay them full price if I do indeed decide to purchase.

Also, them holding back info is indeed what they should have done. Unfortunately, they didn't do enough of this. Would have made a big difference and hurt their reputation way less if they had never even told us about ASA until just 1 month before their intended launch; which should of course have been corrected for the delay that they should calculate for and expect when deciding when to release marketing info.

17 hours ago, Diabolos said:

The only differences you'd be looking at for ASA is graphical quality, improved performance, and bug squashing... until new content gets developed but they even said it multiple times, that new content won't be for a while.

Well, but that's exactly what will factor into my final decision. They've listed a lot of stuff here that they say they've redone from the bottom up. A completely rewritten codebase, completely reworked building, completely reworked creature AI, etc. I have very very very little trust for wc/sg and this very very very little trust has been developed into being so small ever since mid 2017; then squashed even smaller by their conduct over the last 7 or so months. Even so; if what they've said here actually does turn out to be true, then that will make the difference for me between considering purchasing ASA or being perfectly fine with sticking to ASE. Still, they've had a very long history now of not telling the truth; going alllllll the way back to when they released Scorched Earth; so that's what remains to be seen here.

• Like 1

bro the video you just posted of a cartoon picture is an absolute pathetic joke and a slap in the face to all the people that spent years grinding on official. the whole network is shut down and you post a cartoon image in a 3:49 video? you guys are really eating crayons arent you? still absolutely no screenshots or video of the actual game? you guys are a joke. this company is full of ree rees.

• Facepalm 2

I mean, at least this cruch was a bit useful, I appreciate the honest, for the first time in a year. Hopefully in the weeks to come the crunches are more like this, only they probably won't be. I know I have been overcritical, but maybe there is a chance that wc has been doing good all this time, and yes I'm saying this after only one crunch lol

• Disabled leveling of movement speed on creatures and players on Official Network (Unofficials can change this via config, of course) -- we see the conversations, we already did it a while back 😜

Ok so with this one when it comes to tamed creatures, does this mean the random roll stats will also stop allocating points in the speed stat? If not, can any that are randomly allocated actually affect the speed even if you can't level it up afterwards?

Secondly, in a similar fashion, what about creatures whose oxygen stat affects swimming speed? Is that also disabled and with the random base stats/extra stats from taming affect them rather than now have two pointless stats?

37 minutes ago, KingOfAshes said:

Ok so with this one when it comes to tamed creatures, does this mean the random roll stats will also stop allocating points in the speed stat? If not, can any that are randomly allocated actually affect the speed even if you can't level it up afterwards?

Secondly, in a similar fashion, what about creatures whose oxygen stat affects swimming speed? Is that also disabled and with the random base stats/extra stats from taming affect them rather than now have two pointless stats?

Sssushhh!!!
Don't reveil the oxy/swim speedrun workaround please!
(They might fix it lol)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MMaas said:

Sssushhh!!!
Don't reveil the oxy/swim speedrun workaround please!
(They might fix it lol)

I was going to say “this is wildcard we’re talking about” until I remembered that game developers as a whole have an uncanny ability to immediately lock onto and patch beneficial but generally harmless bugs or glitches while leaving game breaking crap alone for months or years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

WILDCARD svp intégrer un système de flag pour délimité les zones de builds en PVE OFF  ex 15 flag par tribu a la création de la tribu et +5 a chaque nouveau membre. chaque flag fonctionnent comme une fondation en termes de taille de zones me parait pas mal  

cela éviterait l'appropriation de serveur entier par une seul tribu voir une seul personne. le blocage de certaine zone/grotte/ressource et limiterais le nombre de trap a dino ou petite base de taming/farming sur les serveurs. 

hormis le fait que les piliers en masse tue le jeu en off  il dénature complètement les cartes et leur panorama/paysage pour rien juste de l'égoïsmes 

2 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

I was going to say “this is wildcard we’re talking about” until I remembered that game developers as a whole have an uncanny ability to immediately lock onto and patch beneficial but generally harmless bugs or glitches while leaving game breaking crap alone for months or years.

If I leave the tinfoil hat at home, I´d say, that those bugs are way easier to handle an still are bugs, that are not intended. But sometimes those are kept as a feature. looking at you, rideabele Moschops.
while the gamebreaking Bugs and exploits... well... seems to be cruchial who benefits the most off these ones... but I´m just not in the right mood to put onb the tinfoil hat, to discuss that topic 😅

• Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, Vaskur said:

If I leave the tinfoil hat at home, I´d say, that those bugs are way easier to handle an still are bugs, that are not intended. But sometimes those are kept as a feature. looking at you, rideabele Moschops.
while the gamebreaking Bugs and exploits... well... seems to be cruchial who benefits the most off these ones... but I´m just not in the right mood to put onb the tinfoil hat, to discuss that topic 😅

Wonder if there ever will be an event that gives us tinfoil hat skins...
Can we put that up for a vote instead of another dino again?

• Haha 2