How to function without cryopods?

Peteed1

So my base is down at South Spawn 2.

How do I get fur and polymer? I mean I have Theri down at South Spawn 2 but they can't fight stuff in the snow without me spending like an hour riding all the way across 100% of the map. I would normally get on my argy and take a combat ground dino in a cryopod with me. My argy are weak because the highest level i've seen is like level 90 and level 45 and only have like 5 points in melee on the level 45 post tame. 

If I want to trap and tame an Argy I need a Ptera which is very hard to fly without being able to level speed I have to land like 10 or more times because stamina runs out. Argy is better for getting to the argy area to tame but then Ptera is the one that can get out of the argy trap whereas if I fly into trap on my argy it can't get out. My argy would just die to attacks if I take both with me because in order to have it defend itself i'd have to have it set to a setting where it would also attack the argy in the trap i'm shooting with tranqs.

When ASE first came out in early access I opened it and it ran at single digit FPS on my 1080Ti (which made it impossible to survive a dilo right on spawn) so I put it in my trash pile of garbage games and only came back after extinction was just released so i'm used to having crypods or Dino Storage V2 mod 100% of the time. 

Dino Storage V2 maker is saying he's too busy and his PC might not even run the game so 3+ months at least before he has any time but maybe never lol. 

Also how do you breed? You need to imprint every 2 hours right? Unless the maturation has changed for dinos in ASA compared to ASE then Rexes take like 4 real life days to mature needing imprinting every 2 hours roughly so without cryopods you can't sleep or you'd miss imprinting wouldn't you? I know there was a bit of leeway but not that much. We used to cryopod them while we slept.

Do it the old fashioned way.  Get a Quetzal, build a truck bed on its back and haul animals around that way. Or fly to where you want to be, build a small outpost, tame something to do the job you want to do, and walk back.   Not having cryopods is one of the better decisions they made with this game.  When they make the game to easy it takes the fun out of it.   I like having to work for it.   Thats why I don't like the fact they took wiring and pipes out of the game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

Do it the old fashioned way.  Get a Quetzal, build a truck bed on its back and haul animals around that way. Or fly to where you want to be, build a small outpost, tame something to do the job you want to do, and walk back.   Not having cryopods is one of the better decisions they made with this game.  When they make the game to easy it takes the fun out of it.   I like having to work for it.   Thats why I don't like the fact they took wiring and pipes out of the game.

Quetzal don't go to the ground and run away :( I've only ever been able to tame them with 2 players, one shooting from under an argy while other sits in the saddle and follows the Quetzal. Alone I don't think I could tame one lol. Dismounting an argy in the sky you just fall and die. Can't dismount and stay on the saddle to shoot and can't shott while mounted. Even when i've had a Quetzal before in past games where someone gave them to me I never use them because they fly too damn slow lol.

• Volunteer Moderator
37 minutes ago, Peteed1 said:

Quetzal don't go to the ground and run away :( I've only ever been able to tame them with 2 players, one shooting from under an argy while other sits in the saddle and follows the Quetzal. Alone I don't think I could tame one lol. Dismounting an argy in the sky you just fall and die. Can't dismount and stay on the saddle to shoot and can't shott while mounted. Even when i've had a Quetzal before in past games where someone gave them to me I never use them because they fly too damn slow lol.

Quetz and Giga are the OG end-game tames from the Island. Not super easy to get. 

2 hours ago, Peteed1 said:

How do I get fur and polymer? I mean I have Theri down at South Spawn 2 but they can't fight stuff in the snow without me spending like an hour riding all the way across 100% of the map. I would normally get on my argy and take a combat ground dino in a cryopod with me. My argy are weak because the highest level i've seen is like level 90 and level 45 and only have like 5 points in melee on the level 45 post tame. 

If I want to trap and tame an Argy I need a Ptera which is very hard to fly without being able to level speed I have to land like 10 or more times because stamina runs out. Argy is better for getting to the argy area to tame but then Ptera is the one that can get out of the argy trap whereas if I fly into trap on my argy it can't get out. My argy would just die to attacks if I take both with me because in order to have it defend itself i'd have to have it set to a setting where it would also attack the argy in the trap i'm shooting with tranqs.

When ASE first came out in early access I opened it and it ran at single digit FPS on my 1080Ti (which made it impossible to survive a dilo right on spawn) so I put it in my trash pile of garbage games and only came back after extinction was just released so i'm used to having crypods or Dino Storage V2 mod 100% of the time. 

Dino Storage V2 maker is saying he's too busy and his PC might not even run the game so 3+ months at least before he has any time but maybe never lol. 

Also how do you breed? You need to imprint every 2 hours right? Unless the maturation has changed for dinos in ASA compared to ASE then Rexes take like 4 real life days to mature needing imprinting every 2 hours roughly so without cryopods you can't sleep or you'd miss imprinting wouldn't you? I know there was a bit of leeway but not that much. We used to cryopod them while we slept.

This is why people wanted cryopods.  You don’t have to go to the snow area for fur, there’s plenty in the redwoods, but you’ll have to tame something like a Rex or Raptor. Try taming a baby Argy or start building traps.

Use a tapejara, once you find a quetzal you switch to the passenger seat, and use whistles to drive and steer him,

whistle attack to make him follow the quetzal, and whistle stop before the tapejara attacks, once you get a few shots in and the quetzal gets some distance on you, whistle attack again, and the tapejara will chase it down again.

It's actually pretty easy to solo, just takes some patience.

Edited by Sausagedog85

Don't need ptera to get argy. Lots of ways to get them. One way is build a trap near argies and use yourself as bait. Stand near trap entrance. Shoot one with tranq dart. It will aggro on you. Lead it into trap as you run out the other side. Walk around to shut door. Done. Make a saddle before you leave home so you can fly back.

4 hours ago, SLlCK said:

Yup, having outposts around the map is one of the things I miss about the pre-cryopod days. I'm looking forward to setting up a network again.

And for the OP, taming an Argentavis isn't that hard, even if you can't get a Pteranodon.

9 hours ago, Peteed1 said:

Basically, you have to learn how to manage your base the way people did in the early days of ARK. Mind you, I understand that it's frustrating if you've only played ARK with cryopods, but once you wrap your head around a few ideas it's not that hard to manage.

A couple of points that will help you get started:

1) Since pteras don't have speed anymore, put all of those points into stamina. It's a little less convenient, but In the end you will still be able to tame argy's about as easily. Being able to lead them for a longer period of time, which means you have to land less often and fewer chances to get ambushed on the ground, will mean that you're safer in a ptera than you used to be. As long as you manage your stam so that you can take off again if there's an emergency, never let it get too low, you'll find it ends up being about the same.

2) Use wagon trains (follow) for harvesting runs. Let's say you have 3 argy's that were Lvl 90 when you tamed them, rather than the single Lvl 150 you're used to. Have the argy's follow each other 1-2-3 and then you fly Argy #1.

3) Have mini-bases in areas where you want to harvest something specific. Build a mini-base near the polymer, tame a good predator in that area, then use that predator to kill stuff and collect the polymer. Then use a bed to go back to your base, fly your argy's up and carry the poly back. Or, alternatively, use the poly right away at your poly-farming mini-base and then carry back the items you made from the poly. It's less convenient, but it's easier than it sounds once you get used to it.

4) Since you talked about "Dino Storage V2" I'm assuming you're playing on SP. If that's the case then you can change the setting which will let you level up flyer speed. Or if you're on an unofficial server make sure you find one that uses this setting or that uses a different mod to make things better.

Playing the game without cryopods requires players to come up with more creative solutions, and it definitely slows things down because you have to spend more time getting things home to your base or carrying materials around, but once you get the hang of things, it will stop feeling difficult.

Well, to get a quetzal you can use your petera or an argy, whatever you have on hand, a crossbow with a hook, you attach it to your flying dino and with the whistles you guide it to the quetzal and shoot, another one, as they said, is with a tapejara but I recognize It's hard to catch if you don't have the tools, so it's easier with the hook and a flier. I did it like this in ASE. I haven't tried it here yet but I guess it works the same.

For the Argentavis, just make a trap, they are slow, you can even take them running inside and they have little melee damage, they won't kill you even if they hit you a few times, increase your character's life between 200 to 300 minimum. There are very easy traps to make and with few materials you can search on YouTube.

For the printing of dinos, they are every two hours but if you miss one, nothing happens or you can wait until they do events that they are already going to do and then you grow up, but by setting the alarm every two hours you wake up, you give it a print and you will sleep.

you're including several different topics in one post, let me try and address them.

settle the argy situation before the fur/polymer one.  you really don't need anything beyond fancy footwork and tranq arrows to KO and tame an argy.  you can backpedal and strafe sideways and stay just out of range of an argy as you can do this tighter than an argy can turn.  you're both just sort of spinning in place and he can't quite get to you.  it might take a few tries but it's VERY doable.  traps help a ton (check out capt fatdogs new argy trap video). you can impliment this without a flier and just run through it.  pteras make it a safer process as it allows you to fly to safety but aren't really needed.  instead of looking for the perfect argy, look for the safe one to get.  my first argy this go around was like lvl 20.  later once you're better established you can look for the perfect argy.

now that you have an argy, you can address the fur/polymer issue.  it doesn't have to be a high level one.  even my little level 20 (30 after tame) helped me here.  just locate penguins and wolves, pick them up and attack them while safely in the air.  sometimes the wolves will bite your argy but you shouldn't have much trouble.  don't harvest the penguins with the argy though, you'll get more organic polymer harvest with a club.  another option would be to build a raft and sail to the icebergs that have penguins.  you can still use your argy and also bring a mosschops to ride around on.  they harvest polymer well, and anything can kill a penguin.

i have a 1070ti and i run ASE just fine with that. if i run with maxed settings i only get about 30-40 frames, but if i mix it up in the settings i can get 60 steady no problem.  if i turn settings down to minimum i'm well over 100 frames.  you may have other issues going on, check your drivers.

not having access to dino storage is a pain.  i've played on unofficial servers that used them and it is very handy.  not having them or cryopods just means our bases are going to be a lot bigger as we'll need huge stables for our tames.  especially if we get into breeding.  solo players and small tribes are going to have a rough time of it with imprinting.  i don't think they had us in mind when they came up with the process.  set a timer and hit as many as you can to get your % up, but this is something i don't think anyone has a great answer for other than join a larger tribe, which isn't a great answer.

good luck ARKing!

20 hours ago, Peteed1 said:

Also how do you breed? You need to imprint every 2 hours right?

Welcome to the original world of ARK - where you had to have no life if you wanted the best imprinted Dinos and were up all hours of the night on a timer to feed and imprint your virtual pet babies :)

At least they didn't revert to the old Kibble system - so you don't have to have a full farm of dinos in breeding sheds to get your egg supplies.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vaiks said:

Based on the many answers here you can see how Tek (and cryopods) ruined this game, both on PVE and PVP. This new fase on Ascended will be great to remember the old Ark days when the game was good and, truly, about surviving and overcoming obstacles.

100% agree. We had to be creative and adapt and deal with failure and learn from it.

To the OP: As mentioned above, it was pretty common to have outposts all over The Island in the different biomes for specific resources. Everybody had a snow base for poly and fur, a volcano base for metal, a swamp base for flowers and mushrooms, and a base or raft near Carno Island.

On 10/30/2023 at 5:09 PM, SLlCK said:

Not having cryopods is one of the better decisions they made with this game.  When they make the game to easy it takes the fun out of it.   I like having to work for it.   Thats why I don't like the fact they took wiring and pipes out of the game.

I assumed this was just temporary. Are they actually intending to not eventually add Cryopods? That would be really dumb especially since they lowered tribe Dino count to 100. This will eventually kill the game if they keep it like this.

7 hours ago, MirageUK said:

Welcome to the original world of ARK - where you had to have no life if you wanted the best imprinted Dinos and were up all hours of the night on a timer to feed and imprint your virtual pet babies :)

At least they didn't revert to the old Kibble system - so you don't have to have a full farm of dinos in breeding sheds to get your egg supplies.

dang it.  No maewings or cryopods cus they weren't there in the beginning, but they draw the line at the kibble system...  Bring back the old kibble farms!

@Cinnamongodcryopods will show up when Extinction drops.

Edited by GrumpyBear

13 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

dang it.  No maewings or cryopods cus they weren't there in the beginning, but they draw the line at the kibble system...  Bring back the old kibble farms!

@Cinnamongodcryopods will show up when Extinction drops.

I like to see that work with a 100 dino limit. Very limited farms.