Sound Pass

BigDally

7 hours ago, Ulta said:

But it DOES warn of battle...the moment you hear it, whether dire sounding or not, STILL plays to tell you something is attacking...

But hey do as you wish. Playing ARK without music to signal something is attacking adds another level of hard to it I suppose. I'm keeping the music on, it's pretty to me.

Agreed, the music is awesome.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ulta said:

But it DOES warn of battle...the moment you hear it, whether dire sounding or not, STILL plays to tell you something is attacking...

But hey do as you wish. Playing ARK without music to signal something is attacking adds another level of hard to it I suppose. I'm keeping the music on, it's pretty to me.

except the new themes start out way to tame, way too silent and lowkey, 

6 hours ago, DromaeoSapiens said:

So you're suggesting that they sound like they are talking to each other, because that sounds like it would be incredibly creepy and unsettling, which would be pretty damn neat. Just the thought of two large alien looking creatures conversing and having no clue what they're saying (or planning) is kind of terrifying.

yep thats pretty much exactly what im suggesting something weird bizzare and unsettling to the point where every time you log in you cross your fingers in hopes that your character isnt the one thats wearing a harness due to some diabolical plan the creature came up with. bonus points if one of the idle noises kind of sounds like laughter

The new bow handling sounds are strange I hope they revert them. Ptera wings geta old after a few minutes. Music: please add an option to revert to the old battle song and play it for every encounter. I really dont think the new songs are fitting for battle.

ambient sounds: lets see the next patch I hope they revert them too. ( patch notes says "redid")

15 hours ago, Havokpaintedwolf said:

yep thats pretty much exactly what im suggesting something weird bizzare and unsettling to the point where every time you log in you cross your fingers in hopes that your character isnt the one thats wearing a harness due to some diabolical plan the creature came up with. bonus points if one of the idle noises kind of sounds like laughter

Giant sentient bug with an evil cackle.

What bothers me about these sound changes is that, unless I somehow missed something, I've seen nothing in the community asking for a major sound overhaul. Not only that, but we've not been told why these changes are happening, making this seem all the more unnecessary. For me personally, change for the sake of change is bad enough, but I don't even like most of these changes.

One major issue I have is fake animals in the ambiances. I can handle things like insects and birds to a degree because those existing for real generally don't add anything to the game, but noises like large animals screeching is just bad design IMO. Sound is incredibly important; if a player hears a loud noise off to their right, they should see something large when they look towards it. We're in an interactive environment, not a movie. It's hard to explain how frustrating this is. The mass majority of sounds in a game should have an actual point of origin.

I play on the Center and apparently it's different on the Island, but the rain is annoyingly loud. It rains often in the game and it's always a crazy thunderstorm (even the snowy mountains). Ideally, I'd like to see different kind of weather instead of sun or thunderstorm.

If it wasn't so obvious that there's an attempt being made to make every animal have its own unique footstep sound, I'd say it'd be nice to have different footstep noises for different surfaces you walk on. I'd much prefer half a dozen shared footstep sounds for different animals that react to the environment than what we're getting now.

The other issue is a bigger one for me: inorganic noises. Since the first new sounds update, this has been a problem where footsteps or animal noises just don't sound real, whether it be "oh that's this animal's sound" or just a lack of suspension of disbelief. While it's one thing for a sound to just not be something I like, this makes that way worse. Off the top of my head, paracer, bronto footsteps, rex footsteps, and probably plenty more just do not sound like real noises. They sound like someone was in a Foley studio banging some things together, they really do, and that's not good Foley work. Some roars also sound off in a way that I can only describe as metallic. A lot of sounds also suffer from just not being loud enough, but should not be so loud they are over exaggerated. Remember, playing a game, you're going to hear things over and over; they should not be obnoxious.

Speaking of inorganic and metallic, is there a reason the giga and bronto sound like the creatures from the 2014 Godzilla movie? I can kind of dig the footsteps of the giga, but the sounds the animals themselves make sound almost like they were ripped directly out of the movie and had the bass removed. Bronto sounds are just not good, but I could get better used to the giga if it was bassier at least. I'd prefer it not sound like Godzilla in the first place, but whatever I guess. The new yutyrannus is also an offender of this. Somewhat related: one of the parasaurolophus' new aggro/flee noises is almost, if not for sure, exactly the same as a sound used for the same animal in JP The Lost World.

The anky is just... weird. Its normal running around footsteps are real quiet, okay sounding but also strangely wet?, yet when it uses its attack, it has different footstep noises that sound way more organic and convey its weight better. Just, what??? Why does it have two footsteps noises? Why does the tail swing have comical sound effects? And why does the anky make snorting noises like a horse or cow? The anky doesn't have a fleshy face and its mouth is a beak

There's also a lot of animals that had their sounds changed without making them sound too different; the dilo, dodo, ptera, compy, raptor, scorp, beaver... just, why? This accomplished nothing but make players relearn what these animals sound like. I'm mainly indifferent to this, but arguably, some of these changes were for the worse, too. Dodos sound menacing despite the fact that they're dodo birds, and pteras just... no.

Carnos used to have very loud, deep sounds. Now they screech and sound less menacing than the barking of the iguanodon. Wat.

The rex always sounded bad and still does, but its previous sounds were at least loud, bassy, they were threatening sounds. I kind of like the new bite noise, but it's so quiet and just not theatrically interesting; it sounds almost like it's trying to tickle someone. The roar for it has always been awful in my opinion, it just sounds like a generic "large animal must make loud noise with elephant roar in it!" sound but I don't mind it too much. Although, I do remember the new roar it was given before that was brought back; that was barely a loud hiss and just awful.

Quetzal, just... I think I'm the most upset about this change. Quetzals sounded great before; now they have the problem that argents do where they just constantly hiss and screech when breathing. It's obnoxious. The quetzal's sound are also made up of more than one noise; how is it screeching and making a honk sound in the same bite? And why the crap was the sound for wild quetzals taking damage and fleeing chosen as a noise for them to make idly?? Also, argents sound, at best, vaguely like a generic eagle, but more like seagulls than giant birds of prey. The quetzal and argent flapping sounds are okay I guess, they really didn't need to be changed, but the ptera's wet lasagna flaps are awful.

I could do an animal-by-animal analysis, but at this point, I'm starting to upset myself. I just do not feel good about the mass majority of the new sounds. Generally, at best, I'm indifferent to them and that's not good.

I just hope the surround sound of the game is fixed. At the moment many sounds end up only coming from the right ear unless u turn in a odd way and then maybe u get both. Directly behind you is a complete deadspot where u can't hear anything. I just want to be able to play with a headset on and feel that it makes it more immersive rather than odd and distracting like it currently does.

Here's my feedback on resent changes: 

First and foremost let's not forget this is a dinosaur type of game, so for that the main stars of the show are them and with that said, what I recommend is only based on how to make the game more immersive with them.

• Absolutly remove all mecha sounds from the dinos that you added, this is not a transformers game even if we have " tek tier" ,dinos aren't robots to go walking and sounding like them.
  • It would be nice to add a special short sound for animals when we sprint with them at the very start like a "pursuit" type of mini roar ;) this would add a big change into what you feel when interacting with them to be more " realistic".
  • Add a roar key to every single dinosaur (very important)

• Water ambiance : is very lacking as of now I hope that's been left for the last part of the sound pass? But I think that It's better to not be forgotten, whenever I go to the ocean It's so dull and quiet , which makes the ocean " rounds" extremly long and boring .

Ocean animals that need a sound pass are :

1. Mosa: Deep low and long sounds for idle and swimming are needed, aswell as an improved sound for them when biting (a scary chomp if you get what I mean)-Mosas are mutes right now in ark after the last patch unless they always were and I didn't notice cause never did any remarkable sound ?-? god knows-
  2. Plesio: High pitched, short mix of a whale with old's bronto sound for iddle and swimming animations cause aren't they the nessi? , the new sound for when they bite It's super scary awesomely done!

-Everything else in the ocean sounds just fine-

• For terrain dinos, I might skip on some  mainly cause they are not to my interest or I think they are fine the way they are and don't need any rework:

Giga : Remove the mechanic deer tone from the roar , and it should be top notch. Awesome job on toning everything else UP AND LOUD!

Allosaurus : Great job there with the new " roar", it does sound a bit low for his size so I would tone it up just sightly more and it should be perfect, as for it's iddle sound, a deep- low lizard purr would fit it more.  

Thorny dragon: Total remake into a sort of cute cat-lizard sound, just look at those big eyes if it didn't sound cute it wouldn't be a thorny dragon.

Direwolf: Their howl has a cutness overload effect on me personally, which I don't mind unless the idea was to make it a fearsome giant wolf, if so, it means  maybe you have to look into it and probably add a deep short growl (make it start strong) followed with a deep darker howl.

Wyvern: Change the donkey sound they make when they get hit ( who's idea was that LOL!), Make the C key animation that I believe it serves for their " roar" to make a longer intimidating sound and with that wyvern should be done.

Bronto: They are so quiet right now and it shouldn't be, I liked the old sounds better than the new ones, they should have long deep high pitched iddle sounds and as for the attack i liked the old one.

Rex : I noticed you added a very short growl at the start of their roars, I'd say make that growl start stronger following up the roar, and I think it's best to remove the silly roars from the 3 or 4 types they do and just focus on making 

this one the main one and polish it to make it sound even scarier ;) 

Raptor : High pitched tones mixed with lizard hissing. (Me thinks thats where it should start with)

:Jerbhi:And this concludes my share of thoughs~ 

I have a plethora of opinions on the sounds. Some that stand out in my mind. Most of the sounds I do not like the newer version, and prefer the old ones. Here's just a few of my thoughts on the latest version of the sounds...

Quetz: One of the idle sounds seems like there was a beehive in the background, I don't like this buzzing sound. The non-buzzing sound within that soundfile is ok imo. Take the beehive buzzing out, and it would be good. Also, I want that honk-honk-honk back. I loved that sound.

Raptors: the new sounds are awful. I've recently gotten close to a pack chomping on something, and it sounds like a flock of geese, which doesn't sound good, sounds worse when you have three or more. I like the older higher pitched sounds. I think they need some hissing. Maybe some clicking. There are animals that click to make calls to eachother. All the new raptor sounds are so bad imo, I have stopped using the raptors. I used to have a lot of raptors around, to guard my yard, I liked hearing the idle sounds. But now it is so bad I cant stand to be near them, so I moved them out of my base.

Anklyo: Breaking rocks... "where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" Please bring back the loud sudden crash of the rocks breaking (may or may not be related to the anklyo). The new sound of the rock breaking seems like I punched cardboard, which doesn't sound like it matches the sound of breaking rock. The sound needs to sound more impactful, more satisfying, more like smashing a rock. There is just something so satisfying about an exploding sound when you SMASH a rock, I wish that sudden loud breaking sound would come back. I feel the new sounds for the anklyo are a downgrade overall. The old chewing was ok in my opinion. And the walking of the anklyo: doesn't sound like it would be coming from the anklyo. I think it should sound deeper, and a bit louder. I do like the nasal grunt it does when it swings, like it's making sounds in it's throat, somewhat like a snore. That grunt/snore I can imagine sounds like the Anklyo

Dilo: I miss the idle cooing, I want that back so much.

Argent: I like the eagle sound, much love! Keep that in. But the eating, the sounds make no sense, sounds like stretching a balloon, doesn't sound right. I don't know what to suggest for a new sound for eating.

Trike: The new walking doesn't sound heavy enough.

Glass Demolishing: Last I checked, this sound is still ear piercing, like someone took a nail and scratched across a chalkboard. Please take sound out, it hurts D:

Placing Stone walls: The new sound I LOVE it, please keep it as is, sounds just right and feels good, not as irritating as before.

Maybe in a future update I could be naming my Anklyo Marvin... with his Illudium PU-36 tail ;)

52 minutes ago, Zadira said:

What in the world is that sound when we hit stone, ore and crystal with our pick and hatchet?  :o  It almost sounds like someone is hitting a plastic box under water. Every time I collect ore and crystal now, I cringe! 

And do bears really make such weird sounds when they poop?   LOL

I kinda like the stone hitting sound. The pooping bear sounds like a gross wet fart but it makes me chuckle

I just noticed a couple of changes since last patch. Gotta say my thoughts!

First off, thank you for bringing the Carno and Quetzals old walking sounds back! They are a tad too loud though, so make it a bit lower in volume and they are good!

The Bronto's new stepping sounds are going in the right direction. I think it just needs to be a bit louder since even up close the low bassy thumps are still kinda quiet.  Turn up the volume on this and let's see how it sounds! (Hoping it's not just a quieter version of the mecha stomps). Hearing them from afar sounds awesome now cause it sounds like a heavy living thing in the distance (it didn't grow in volume as I got closer. If it did it would be perfect).

I noticed when out killing Dilo's that their death sounds include a 'thump' at the end like their bodies hit the ground. This would be neat if they actually had a dying animation that fit it, but the ragdoll physics make it very awkward. If you don't plan on making dying animations (like the compy has), then I'd remove the thud you hear in the death cry. This goes for ALL dino's that now have a thumping in their death cry. Sometimes it times itself right, but often it doesn't.

I think you gave the Quetzal's old level up cry back. I'm not sure since it still seems to have 'new' sounds mixed into it. The level up sounds are nice. (but I still don't hear my favorite Qua Qua Qua sound of it's old idle sounds...I still miss it terribly). The Quetzal's new idle sound where it 'chuckles' like JP raptors though seems very unfitting (even though I like that sound but really why are you using JP sounds?). That chuckle would be way better on like...a Raptor xD I've already said my peace on the Quetzals sounds overall (aka change it all back to the old sounds, except the new flapping and level up sounds which are good as is).

Did you give the Megatherium the old Mammoth sounds? Seems very familiar...haven't tamed one yet, this is just what I heard from killing them in the wild.

Mammoth's are perfect as is by the way!

The walking sounds for the Therizino sound like it's always walking on wood. Doesn't fit very well. Also the Therizino's idle sounds are barely audible. It's overall sounds are okay (I wouldn't complain if they had another pass, but I wont' complain if they remain the same either so...).

I've had a second opinion on the Stego's new sounds. I'm liking them more and more as I hear them. =)

Whatever you do, don't change the Baryonyx's roar. My friends and I are having a kick out of making it roar so much like it's trying to get attention with it's 'awesome' but really slightly pathetic roar xD

Personally not agreeing with the old carno sounds back, specially when walking. They seem like the guy is constantly stepping on potato chips, dried leaves and eggshells all at the same time. It is annoying for me and not in line with the more "softer" walking sounds of the larger dinos. Don't get me wrong, I truly think that the walking sounds need to be "softer" in all dinos, because at the end of the day, it is flesh/skin impacting the ground. The only big real life animal I've ever heard walking was an elephant, and it seems to me that the sounds for the big dinos are close to that.

I almost liked the sounds they tested out for the carno, at one point. maybe find a common ground? I mean, they removed/minimized the stomping on leaves effect on most of the dinos, why not the carno? Maybe find some middle ground between old and new?

That's my main gripe with the sounds as they stand.

The other sound that I think is off is the level up sound of wyvern which I find is not consistent with attack sounds. It needs to be more fierce

I checked out new sounds that were added in 258.6. Will someone update patch notes with the list of changed sounds in 258.6, so we could give feedback properly? @Jat

Switching to old walking sounds for Carno is not improvement. It's a regress as same as new walking sounds that were before. Please make something new than reusing old sounds. Also now Carno's sound are inconsistent completely. You have heavy walking sounds while his other sounds make you think the animal is twice smaller. 

Bronto walking sounds is a step in right direction.

Quetzal walking sound must be deleted and redone. Making those robotic walking sounds more quiet is not an improvement whatsoever,

Allosaurus new roar is "okeyish" Idle growling sounds ought to have lowered volume and decrease how often they play. It needs new unique walking sounds. 

Therizino walking sounds are too quiet, you will not hear that animal charging at you at all. It sounds like walking on creaking wooden floor. I dislike it.

In general release sound effects update for the animal if all of them are done/changed/improved, after checking if all sound good enough together. Not by changing one effect and call it the sound update. If you change one sound effect only, others will not fit to that sound at all breaking players suspension of disbelief.

1 hour ago, SBaker said:

I am extremely busy right now so I can't reply to any specific thoughts. And while there's not enough time to get to everything that you (and I) would like to have revised, there are still a few key updates coming based on your feedback. Thanks again!

I hope everything will be revised in the end, otherwise immersion of the game will suffer a lot.

I am cool with most of the new sounds but I'll list a few things that id like to see change:

-Giga sounds are good, but as Ulta said, a bit metallic and robotic. Needs more beef.

-Rex changed back to the old roar... sounds like it is sad when it roars, could also use more beef.

-new rock/crystal/metal harvesting sound is waaaaay too crunchy lol sounds like a dog got into the pots and pans cabinet.

-i miss the old dilo idle chirps, they were cute

-anky is too quiet, old footsteps and growls were much more badass, and well deserved for a badass dino

other than that i like most of the new sounds, and the new music is GREAT :) sometimes i kite wild dinos in circles just to listen and pretend fighting a dilo is more intense than it needs to be hahaha

Archived