Later than "tomorrow", but here's how I experienced raptor claus @Cedric
TLDR; players are being rude and greedy, that's the opposite the "christmas spririt" is about. New players don't stand a chance. Everyone is paranoid.
Main Server is SE
The first time the event happened, the people on our server got in line for each present. We all took torches with us, and when someone was first at a falling present, he was visible and everyone who arrived after that passed by and tried to be the first one at the next present and so on. No one was mad, everyone had a chance. Hardly anyone was able to grab two drops in a row anyway because the next present hit the ground shortly after the one before that. now with drakes, manas, enforcers available anyone can grab a present and get to the next one before it hits the ground. So one person can farm all presents of one night which leaves everyone else with empty hands.
Last christmas we had two guys who apparently set timers and came back every night, right on time to grab presents. One around noon, the other in the afternoon/night. They had never been on our server before, and never came back after the event. They looted extremely fast - when I managed to press e the contents of the present didn't even load for me, the other guy already had taken everything every single time (script? Controller? Idk).
On pve there's no way to slow someone else down. Newer players don't stand a chance if there's players like that online. People with "meh" hardware will probably have problems too.
when asked to give away stuff they did't need, or to leave some presents for other players all we got in response was insults.
very late at night, when no greedy people were online, getting in line worked. There was even a player on an argy who got at least 1-2 presents every night. That player was new too, but he wasn't acting like pego and shared, so no one grabbed "his" present when he was approaching one either.
These two players left a bad vibe though. There was a lot of mistrust because of them. I felt paranoid every time I went for some loot, always suspicious when a player stopped close to me while I was waiting for a present to fall - usually they just checked the players name and went on if it was someone known on our server. I did the same. I always expected to be insulted and to have the loot go bye-bye, very stressful experience.
On weekends my tribemate and I stayed up until 5am so we managed to get some stuff while no one else was online anyway and as soon as we spotted any unknown players grabbing more than one present in a row we gave up for a few hours.
on extinction there was one guy on a mana who took all the good stuff and left coal and building parts in the presents, that was annoying. Other nights no one was collecting presents or people got in line, and we got some good stuff.
ragnarok wasn't so bad, probably because of the map size.
on the island it was mixed. Either no one else collecting, people got in line or greedy people trying to grab everything.
- put a timer on presents. You can't open two in a row, unless you wait a minute. increase the time a present can stay until it decays, so if no one else is online you can still get to all of them.
- make them work like orbital drops, but with no hp loss. It will take some time to defeat the waves, so no one can be very fast at arriving at all the presents.
- non-transfereable loot, but that would be bad if they still contain BPs and such.
- characters need a certain play time on the server to open a present, this would exclude new players though.
- presents Contain only skins and items to summom grinch (Pegorex?) miniboss or boss, that will give loot right into the players inventory, depending on how much dmg everyone who participated did.
- event boss portal added to obelisks, the items needed to summon it are collected from random wild animals. The boss will drop awesome loot. You can go with other people or just your tribe.
- presents will give loot right into the players inventory as soon as you press e on it. you can do this once per present, several players can loot the same presents until it decays.