Sound Pass

BigDally

Ever since this game hit EA, I have always thought that the dino footsteps were way too loud and/or overpowered compared to the sizes of the beasts themselves.  Riding a Rex sounds like you are riding something far, far bigger.  Turning down the volume to compensate renders the other pleasing/ambient sounds of the game all but muted.  Over the past year I have compensated for this a bit by mostly riding in either third person view (which would reduce the footstep volume/intensity) or orbital camera view (which would reduce it even more so).  However, after patch 246 not only are the footsteps louder than they were before, but now third person and orbital views are louder than first person view!  So I'm asking you please (if you can) reduce the volume levels for dino footsteps to a more realistic/comfortable level.  If you can't do a blanket patch to fix this, can you at least add a slider/adjuster so that we can adjust dino footstep volume/intensity ourselves in the settings?  If anyone else reading this has ever wondered why the dino footsteps seem overly loud, or would like some adjustments in this area please respond to this thread in order to help bring attention to this issue.  I appreciate it, and I thank you.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*EDIT FROM CASANOVA - I MERGED THIS THREADS WITH JAT'S. SO PLEASE CONTINUE AS PER JAT'S INSTRUCTIONS BELOW*

Quoted from JAT " We're looking to do some more additional sound passes, and of course, take a look at some of the recent creatures we've updated. Wanted to make this thread to collect some feedback on current sounds. So let have at it, which sounds do you reckon require a tweak?"

And now for my personal opinion dump on the sound pass!

First I'll name the ones that sound great and I think are lovely as is and need no improvement

• Mammoth
  • Dire Wolf (EXCEPT it's walking, it sounds like its' walking on paper)
  • Sabertooth (love the chuffing it does now agh!! *squees* )
  • Dire Bear
  • Broodmother
  • Dodo
  • Scorpion
  • Compy
  • Rhino
  • Beaver
  • Trex pooping sounds (yes I went there...it sounds so gross and it's perfect)
  • Human footsteps

Now for my thoughts on those that are maybes or need improvement imo. If I don't mention something specific, assume that means it wasn't bad.

Dilo: Although the new sounds aren't terrible, I honestly prefer their old ones way more. It use to sound so adorable when it was idle yet still sounded mean when it attacked. It doesn't sound BAD now, but it doesn't feel as good as it use to...sadly I'll have to consider this a downgrade from the original.

Turtle: So far I feel it's an improvement, since the old sounds didn't seem fitting on it. The idle sounds are too quiet though, and happen sooo infrequently that for a while I thought it didn't even have an idle sound.

Raptor: I already know you are working on the raptors so I'll keep this minimal. At the moment they sound too deep and quiet? Maybe we are just too use to JP raptors (which by the way, I don't like how TOO screechy and synthetic JP ones sound like, so I'm surely not asking you to mimic it). Either way, I feel they should at least be louder and more higher pitched. Their first iteration was fine to me honestly. The Carno's new sounds seem more fitting for the raptors honestly (even though that also sounds much too...metallic). I like the old footsteps sounds back.

Anky: Just tested mine out and again the issue is it's sooooo quiet...I can barely hear it's low burbles. What I could hear sounds kinda generic too, but at least it doesn't sound like a gurgled flushing toilet anymore (unfortunately the flushing made me recognize it easily xD ). The attacking sounds are okay, though I feel the 'slamming' and 'wooshing' sounds slightly desynced from the animation. Only slightly though. Maybe make the swooshing and slamming sound just a liiiittle later than it currently is. Otherwise this is an okay change. Nothing wowing, but close since the wooshing is a nice touch. The slamming doesn't sound as powerful now though, the old slamming sounded more powerful and now the wooshing is louder than the slam itself. Maybe reuse the old slam or just make the new slamming sound louder. It's walking sounds are fine, if it's on grass, otherwise it seems slightly not heavy enough.

Ptera: The wingbeats are not very good, but you already know this so I'll wait to see what the change will be like. Otherwise I do not mind it's new sounds. Neutral or better change.

Stego: So far all the sound changes are alright. Neutral change thus far. I feel maybe giving the tail a more dumbed down subtle wooshing sound like the Anky has would be nice when it attacks, but that could probably get annoying if it was too loud, so I'd be careful if you try this. Overall an okay if not better change.

Rex: I do like that you brought the old roar back, even if it's quieter. I liked it more when it was louder though. Otherwise I do not mind all it's changes, bar one. The sound it makes when you level it up sounds like a strangely altered jet fighter just flew past me after coming in from far away...so I'd probably give it another pass since that just sounds weird and not very...fitting, even for the animation it goes with.

Argentavis:  I actually like that it has eagle calls now, so you got a plus from me on that front. The only sounds I don't think I like is the sound it makes when it eats. Parts of it I like, for example the end where you hear like a crunching sound and a light chirp, but the squawk it makes first and then the sound afterwards (sounds like it pulled out a sword and just STABBED something) seem well...over the top. If you altered the squawk and stabbing sound to be less obnoxious (I don't mean lower the volume, I'm talking outright change), then I think it would be much better. The flapping is fine to me (dunno why people are hating on that, it sounds like a feathered wing flap...).

Carno:  Personally I don't like anything on the new carno, EXCEPT for the level up sounds (which sound like the appropriate deepness I was expecting from a dino it's size). I feel it's sounds would be better on the Raptor, but only if you remove the loudest sound bit (the one that sounds like someone screamed) and if you toned down how synthetic and metallic the higher pitches seem to get.

Parasaur: The changes I'm indifferent to, if not it's a downgrade. On one hand, I LOVE it's new distress call when it's attacked. But I feel the rest of the sounds are just too quiet and don't live up to how nice it sounds. Honestly I miss it's old sounds. They sounded nice and iconic and sounded both like an animal AND it sounded unique (though I'm aware I think it shared the same sound bite as other dino's of old, just altered. I guess this might be why you changed it). Either way, I feel it's idle sounds, attacking, and leveling up need improving.

Bronto: I do not like 90% of the new Bronto sounds. Only sound bites I like are it's eating ones and level up ones (except for the thumping of it's feet, since the sound used for it's feet hitting in the ground is just awful and not fitting). The walking sounds make it sound like a large machine, not a living creature. Personally I loved it's old Whale-like calls and sounds waaay more. If we had the old sound clips, but had the new eating and level up ones (and the footstomps in said clips changed to something less metallic), then I would think it's perfect.

Paraceratherium: Biggest issue is, again, the heavy stomping. It doesn't sound like a living thing stomping on ground, it sounds like a machine, or something banging heavily on wood (the end of the attack sound is also off since it sounds like it's two feet hit one after the other, but the animation has both feet hit the ground at the same time). It's new actual sounds are okay, probably an improvement over the low droning they use to do (though I'll admit, listening to the old idle sounds was somewhat therapeutic). They sound like an animal now, albeit still falling under the same 'generic' sounds most of the new creatures got. It doesn't feel unique, but at least it was improved a bit (except the footstomps...please change those)

Trike: Again, I like all of it outside of it's footstomps. Though it's not nearly as bad as the previous offenders. I think it just needs to be a little softer sounding since the Trike isn't very huge. though am I mistaken or does it share some sound bites from the Stego? Other than it sounding maybe too close to some other dinos, it's improved at least.

Giga: I'm not sure why people are complaining about the Giga so much. I don't mind it's new sounds, outside from (and you will hear this alot...) the METALLIC tint to it all. It sounds like a robot dino than something made of flesh. I'm not sure how to improve it honestly...the old ones were okay but even those I feel could have been better, more 'powerful' sounding. It feels like a step in the right direction, but the metallic feel of the sounds just feel sooo out of place.

Quetzal: Sadly this is probably the worst of changes. Maybe because you just reused some old sounds and also made new ones. Both are clashing something fierce. The newer clips sound like they should be a land dino, since it's squawking of old was very iconic AND sounded like a big doofy bird. The walking on ground sounds are okay at least. Honestly, I loved the old Questzal's sounds a ton, particularly it's old 'qua qua qua' idle sounds. The flapping was better the old way too, even though the new one isn't the worst (could be way better though). I would just revert this back to old, or make another attempt. But I BEG you to please bring the old 'qua qua qua' idle sound...I loved it sooo much =(

Boss Monkey: All this guys sounds are fine EXCEPT for his walking sounds. I know he's big but those thumbs sound a bit TOO big...not sure how ot improvement, I'd just say try again?

Boss Dragon: Okay so far, but the large sound issue I had with him was a huge let down that brought my overall liek of him down to a low.. His idle sounds, walking, dying, and getting injured sounds are fine, but his wing flapping...I can't hear anything over it! The sound of his wings just sounds so dang annoying as well, heck not even sure if it sounds like leather wing flaps at all. The fire-breathing was okay, though I feel it could be better.

And some extras....

Iguanadon: I don't know why, but it's attacking sound is a bit too...OOMPHEd...it actually almost sounds like a barking dog when it attacks. Maybe change this?

Ithchyasaur (dolphin): This is just a nitpick, but would it be too much to remake this dino's sounds? That fast chirping it does still sounds unlike a water dino...(and the sound bite itself was reused so much of old...I feel the Raptor should have kept that sound bite, not the dolphin =P )

EDIT: Changed a nickpick on the Dire Wolf.

EDIT2: Thread was merged!

• Wildcard Staff

This is fantastic @Ulta! Thank you very much for putting in the time and effort to listen and respond to the changes at hand. As you know, I will be revising sounds based on community feedback. And you hit the nail on the head with many of your points. I look forward to continuing the discussion as the sounds continue to develop.

@SBaker No problems sir. Anything to help my favorite game become better!

Also I made an edit to one thing. I just recently got a Dire Wolf and realized the walking sounds when wandering sounds icky...it's like it's walking on paper. Might want to change it (the raptor walking sounds I feel fit the wolves. Maybe give them that?)

As cool as it sounds, I believe the giga roar sounds too mechanical and doesn't have the impact that it used to. Not nearly as formidable! I also gotta say I miss the old dilo noises :c Oh also, above all else, I miss the quetzal honks! Is there any way you guys would consider reverting it back to the old noises if it was requested enough? If not, thats fine.

2 minutes ago, taternuggets said:

I find the rain and thunder fatiguing...  perhaps because they are so frequent.   Every time it rains, I just want it to please for the love of God, stop.   

Oh I LOVE the thunder sounds.  I would love to have them on The Island as well.  Perhaps a compromise and make the thunder togglable? 

5 minutes ago, vaintfb said:

I think the gigas roars need to be more low pitched. they are slightly to high for something the size of the in game giga imo

I completely agree... the Giga and the Rexes both need to have serious bass... I should be able to feel it in my chest with my sound system through my subwoofer.
Also, the steps a Giga/Rex/Titano takes should have the same effect... loud deep bass that i feel in my chest.

3 minutes ago, skellri said:

As cool as it sounds, I believe the giga roar sounds too mechanical and doesn't have the impact that it used to. Not nearly as formidable! I also gotta say I miss the old dilo noises :c Oh also, above all else, I miss the quetzal honks! Is there any way you guys would consider reverting it back to the old noises if it was requested enough? If not, thats fine.

I think the mechanical sounds are intentional. I noticed this as well with the bronto dying noises

Archived