So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

4 hours ago, MouthSpiders said:

I tamed a 15 doedicurus and a 40 anky, so I can finally try to roof in my little shack on extinction. I had a 90 allosaurus fall through the top this morning. Good times.

if that happened i'd turn it into a velon trap, and just sit waiting for them to fall in to tame, maybe build the house a little further off.  sounds rough though!

• Like 1

SP Valguero (Just a quick update)

The two Deinos, Shaya and Phoenix, are finally done maturing! "Woo Hoo!" And they've now given birth to a male offspring (Eagle) with one mutation, who is raising now. However, I doubled my maturation rate, and this one shouldn't take three days. Whew....

I also returned from gathering mats to find Appy painting Goner's talons, shocking orange. Cool by me, but as I got closer, I realized Goner is now female. This of course begs the question, was Goner always female? (Sometimes I drink beer while playing Ark, so things might be missed.) However, I've had two dilos in the past swap gender, so.... Either way, I said, "Looking good, Goner," and she replied with a happy trill. 

And now to the bad news, a family of brontos has moved in above the cave, and the noise is driving me freaking CRAZY!

"Might I suggest crafting that ascendant compound bow we found the BP for?" HLN-A asks.

Edited by Chudz66
  • Like 5

Official Valguero -

Today I after getting on i launched the second pc and added that character to the tribe, sitting them in front of the grinder and chem station making flint, thatch, and narco, getting them all the way to level 45 before stopping with them.  It'll be a crafting character for the tribe, that way we won't have to do mind wipes anymore. Going to take advantage of this 2x weekend with it and see if i can't get it all the way up to 90.

While that one was busy at the grinder and chem station, i set off on the main valguero character to collect more stone and wood with the rock elemental, as its pretty easy in the chalk hills with him.  afterwards I headed to the swamp and gathered more berries, was mainly after narco but brought back the other berries to top off the feeding bins for all the berry eaters who promptly returned the favor with a nice pile of eggs.  After gathering meat for the rest of the dinos, I decide to do a little building, and one of my tribe members headed off to the scar to get some milk.

shortly after he arrived there I heard across the radio "Fire wyverns are back!" and about 20 minutes later "I'm Dead!" I noticed he was out on his wyvern and asked if it was okay,  "its got 200 health left!".   it seems he got chased by 5 firewyvern from the scar, and after losing them he landed only to have a giga rundown on him and a rock golem pop up, not being able to take off due to stam, he was sure he was dead, but they managed to get back home.

Were raising two wyverns at the moment, a 190 and a 185, the 185 came out almost all white, with a little grey on it, the 190 is white with light blue spikes and top of head, its so pretty, were hoping these ones don't vanish like the previous two babies did, a 150 and 155. I put them away after imprinting, and feeding them the last bit of milk.  They seem happy, after all, they wanted cuddles.

Afterwards, i headed to the island for abit, sat just feeding the gacha to make element for the tek geny to keep the feeding troughs there going, 40 element later all was good. topped off the feeding troughs and cryoed up the dinos at the outpost bringing them back to the main base to make feeding a bit simpler.  I did abit of sorting of mats in containers to make it a little easier to craft some new structure pieces for building at valguero once transfers open up. I'm going to need a lot more pieces to finish off the base there.

Sat at the steam page thinking about about purchasing Genesis for the second computer as well, thinking it may be nice to have a crafting character there too ready to use when the tribe needs it.  Still debating.

Edited by caleb68
typos
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, caleb68 said:

if that happened i'd turn it into a velon trap, and just sit waiting for them to fall in to tame, maybe build the house a little further off.  sounds rough though!

I lost my 20 velon and got a 120. Raw meat tames out alright for now. The 15 doed got blasted into space(geyser) along with the old velon. The base is gonna get scrapped, unfortunately, so I might use it as a trap. Lots of learning to be had. Definitely gonna try again not right next to a cliff.

• Like 3

After a few hours finally got a Deinonychus egg, hatched it, matured the baby. Found out that the leap attack doesn't work on non dedicated servers for whatever reason. RIP. I was viewing them as "better Raptors" but to me I guess they're just "worse Thylas".

Populated the lake outside my house with 2 tamed Megalodons. Long term goal to fill that sucker with deep sea creatures.

Last night was the first time I ever figured out raising baby dinos or electricity, which I was finally forced to do to power Air Conditioning for the eggs. Prefer Windmills, don't want to fill my Ark with smog.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MouthSpiders said:

I lost my 20 velon and got a 120. Raw meat tames out alright for now. The 15 doed got blasted into space(geyser) along with the old velon. The base is gonna get scrapped, unfortunately, so I might use it as a trap. Lots of learning to be had. Definitely gonna try again not right next to a cliff.

Keep playing and keep learning. :)  I've been playing for 3 years, and I still learn something new each week.   Always try to use the terrain when building a base, especially when a low level, as a good base location can help protect you until you can build better defenses and tame better dinos.   Sounds like you already learned the lesson about building next to cliffs that spawn baddies.  Keep at it!

• Like 2

PS4 - unofficial cluster

I worked from home yesterday, so I was able to play over the lunch hour, a well as get right on after 5pm!

I decided at lunch time to jump to a couple of the maps to refresh my bases and dinos. Logged into Abberation, and saw that I was running low on gas for the generator, so flew down to the river for oil. After collecting a bunch of trilolbite loot, I ventured over to the blue zone, to look for an event shinehorn (server is running Summer Bash this week) Found one right away and tamed it, but realized that I didn't have a cryopod with me. So I picked up the new tame, and left my lower level vanilla tame behind, to come back for. 

I then started the long trip back to my base, when I came upon an open teleporter, so I check it out, and there was another TP much closer to my base on the map, so transferred there.

BIG PROBLEM!  The teleporter at the other end was protected by a forcefield, so I immediately got forced outside of it, but it trapped my fully loaded with resources Ptera inside!

And this base was in such a spot, that without my flyer, I could not safely get down. So I posted an SOS on the cluster discord, and within 20 minutes, an admin logged on, and came and turn the forcefield off. Turns out this base was of an admin who left the cluster 2 weeks earlier. So the admin helping me, gave me some of the contents of this base, including a dozen low level drake eggs, a mid level griffin, and a abberrant spino.

I then got back to my base and logged off until after work.

Spawned in on Abberation again, decided to try an tame some flow tails for my buddy who loves them. I found the glowtail cave , and after taming 2 glowtails near the beginning, I started freaking out, as I didn't have tek, and I kept getting attacked, and was afraid I would fall off the cliffs. SO I retreated, (flew back to blue zone, picked up my original shinehorn I had left behind at lunch time) and then  transferred to Extinction.

Threw out some owl eggs to hatch, and got the mutation I needed. Then ....... "Lost Connection to Server"

Oh no, I hadn't put food in the new baby owl yet!  Tried logging back in but server was dowe, and is STILL down. Admins don't know what is wrong with it. so RIP owl with mutation.

Logged into Scorched earth, and waited for 2 hours with my buddy from Indiana was already there. FInally he had to go, and no heat wave. So I started back to my base to leave, when I saw  a high level Tek Rex.  tamed it up, and flew back to base. Then "Weather Gal" my jerboa started pawing at the ground, so I jumped on my fire wyvern and started looking for a phoenix! 5 minutes later, no sightings and the heat wave was over. Flying back to base saw another good level tek with cool slate blue, and I tamed it too.

Logged into Valguerro, my good buddy from Texas was already on, so we both  flew over to the abberration zone. This time I brought a full tek suit and taming supplies for featherlights, and managed to tame 5 while my buddy tamed 4, giving me 3 of them, so I have 8 new featherlights.  Sadly one of them was killed when a near invinceable seeker attacked us. It took about 20 shotgun hits before it died, but sadly his shoulder featherlight was killed in the battle. We also found only 1 glowtail in the whole radiation zone, but we tamed it up.

By now it was really late, I mean REALLY late, after midnight, and i had to be up by 6am.  But then my Cali buddy got on and said he was coming to Val.

So I waited, and eventually he got on, and gifted me an event colored Arthoplura! Yellow and green. I've never had one before, so that was cool.

I promised California that I would do Abberation surface drops with him tonight, so that will be a first. I hope the color event is still going, as I'd like to try getting more event colored glow pets too. Plus Texas said he will be on ABB too, as he wants a colored Reaper, and I've never had one of those, so I will team up with him in hopes of getting Feinsteined by a reaper queen.

Edited by Aushegun
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

Keep playing and keep learning. :)  I've been playing for 3 years, and I still learn something new each week.   Always try to use the terrain when building a base, especially when a low level, as a good base location can help protect you until you can build better defenses and tame better dinos.   Sounds like you already learned the lesson about building next to cliffs that spawn baddies.  Keep at it!

Definitely progressing. I think I'll tame a dozen or so female velons to go with my male over the next week or so. They could simultaneously be in turret mode and still lay eggs right? Since they meat tame really quickly, I should be able to get a few going for the kibble, which is the kibble for ankies, doeds, pteras and dimetrodons, all of which I need. Organic hatchery is gonna be worth taming the dimetrodon, even if it's just personal satisfaction. Hope all of this is a solid step 1. Step 2 will just be mutton taming a bunch of yuties, so I can tame decent things. Taming big stuff without kibble is a total non-option for me considering I can only play an hour to two at a time max. I'd have a lot easier time if I could find someone to trade me kibble for ingots, but nobody on my server has seen at all interested in selling me eggs or kibble(extinction pve). I'm rambling, but anyway... Hope my plan comes together.

• Like 4

So I take my raptor up the mountain to grab some crystal, and halfway up I come across another raptor I thought I'd lost. Hurrah, I think.

We all carry on up to the top and I start mining. When I look around, both raptors have completely disappeared. Not a squawk out of either of 'em - just there one minute, gone the next.

Comme ci comme ça. Ark giveth, and Ark taketh away. I long for Paris. Life is pain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, chris282 said:

So I take my raptor up the mountain to grab some crystal, and halfway up I come across another raptor I thought I'd lost. Hurrah, I think.

We all carry on up to the top and I start mining. When I look around, both raptors have completely disappeared. Not a squawk out of either of 'em - just there one minute, gone the next.

Comme ci comme ça. Ark giveth, and Ark taketh away. I long for Paris. Life is pain.

Doesnt Comme ci comme ca mean "meh its okay" or "alright" / "im okay" ?

• Like 1

Started the Island base upgrade. Think I have the main plan down, just need to complete the main structure, then work on the main interior and then the extras to make it not look like a square box lol. Not much to say other than that and the fact the base is in a bit of a mess at the moment. Temporary thatch roof and everything. God I hope d1nk doesnt log on lol. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 4:43 PM, Nicoli612 said:

Played around with the ini coding and got owls, gacha, Griffin, featherlight, shinehorns and velos to spawn on Valguero. Just need to tweak it so Managarmr will too 

There's a mod for that by the map maker- Map Extension for Valguero. I haven't yet searched well enough to find the owls, featherlights, manas or velos, but I can confirm the others are there.

Classes picked up a little more this week so didn't have as much time to get on Ark (and I played some Mortal Kombat with roommates instead).

I got on Island SP yesterday and finally decided to put off any building, resource gathering, or projects and just dedicate myself to taming a quetz. I also messed around with settings a little more after reading D1nk or Aushgun on another topic yesterday to make sure I am not making taming or breeding too easy. After adjusting settings, I got on my argie and flew to the red OB to see if what everyone says about it spawning quetz's more often is true. I didn't find one at the OB but started flying north over the swamp and eventually found one crossing the border into snow biome. As I didn't think fully ahead and didn't have my fur armor with me, I hit it a few times to herd it away from the snow and eventually got it near the volcano. I landed and grappled onto my bird using the grapple/whistle method and shot it until it got itself caught on the side of the volcano. Dismounted, finished KO'ing it and after almost losing it when getting prime meat I finally tamed it!

So I finally tamed my first quetz and though it was only a level 44, I think it will still be helpful as my first one. I have already built 2x3 foundation on it with ramps and retrieved a Rex I tamed on Carni Island. I have thoroughly enjoyed dismounting in mid air miles in the sky and looking down on the Island!

On another note, a friend from college has just bought Ark and is wanting to play with me so I have been thinking about joining a PVE server. The cluster that Aushegun plays on sounds like it has great community and helpful players so I would love to join that one but also think that it might only be for a select group of individuals and it would be tough to get into. If it is open to the public, could you share the server name so I could check it out Aushegun? If not, any recommendations of PVE servers with great community and active admins would be appreciated.

• Like 4

(SP Valguero: Operation Bronto Burgers)

So either Armageddon has kicked off right above my cave, or the brontos have taken up line dancing. The sheer noise and shuddering of the ground is nearly overwhelming. I look across my base as dust rains down from above and notice Appy. She's sitting in an upside down miner's helmet that I grabbed from a drop not so long ago, and the impacts of the giant beasts above are moving it erratically across the open floor. Her smile of pure joy as the thunderous stomps cause the light from the headlamp to jitter across its surroundings leads me to a pause. Happiness, perhaps, can be found where one is free minded enough to embrace it.

Me, though, I'm not so happy, and neither is HLN-A. "You really need to get rid of those things," she pleads. 

Agreeing with her one-hundred percent, I place the ascendant compound bow BP into the fabricator and take a look at its requirements. "Holy *BEEP*, this thing is expensive!"

"You're seriously debating its cost versus the cost of never being able to sleep again?" she asks. 

"Well, no. But I may need to take out a loan to craft this," I admit. "Would you mind co-signing it?"

"Je ne parle pas français," she replies.

It takes a few seconds, but I follow that up with, "Wait, what?"

What seems like years of grinding later, I am the proud owner of a 534% compound bow. And now, it's time to put it to use. Appy hops up on my shoulder as I'm heading out, and I whistle Rapz, my raptor, to follow. As he falls in behind me, HLN-A beams a big smile onto her display. 

We cautiously exit the cave and find nothing dangerous outside, so we head toward the incessant stomps above. Partway there, a raptor notices us and charges. I draw back the bow string and let the arrow fly. Things go into slow motion as I see the arrow spiraling through the air before it goes into real time and lances forward through the dino's skull. 

HLN-A's display shows a vomiting emoji after the raptor's head explodes, and its lifeless body collapses onto the grass. Meanwhile, on my shoulder, Appy's eyes have gone wide, and she's making an, OMG! That-was-awesome face. 

"Heya, Rapz, hopefully that wasn't a relative," I say, and my raptor just shrugs before heading over to devour it.

Needless to say, things are quiet above the base again....

Edited by Chudz66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Single Player - Island

I wiped all my single player maps and started a fresh character because I have A.D...a bike.

I don't know the plan but the beginning struggle is fun. So I started by getting some explorer notes. 

Raptors suck. Lol. Every time I'd get like 3 or 4 notes and 1500 seconds, they'd appear and waste that time. 

I handled them alright on the respawn but I just can't get the dodge down from their initial attack. 

Getting the notes up in West Zone 3, I spot an Alpha Raptor. So I farm up a simple 2 x 2 trap for it, give myself a spawn point near it, and set out to get that sweet, sweet xp. When I get to the area it was, I don't see the tell tale glow. I do run into a Carno so I run from it. I get it stuck on a few rocks when I hear a super speed raptor approaching from behind. "There's the Alpha" I say to myself as I never see it before I'm dead, just the glow of its fury. 

I spawn back in, grab my back up gear and head back. The Alpha bug continues as it attempts to harvest my corpse. It notices me, so I lead it from my first bag which has the trap mats in it. 

I respawn at my last sleeping bag near there. Grab my bag, set the trap, lay another sleeping bag and storage box of killing items and get the Alpha in the trap. I respawn and three crossbows later, finally get the kill. I really do like the early grind. 

After a few hours break, I pop on and decide to start taming. I have been saving a 125 Trike near my spot and get my supplies ready. I'm hunting the Trike when a 135 Ptera lands. Change of plans. I KO the Ptera and hunt for some prime. Not an easy task in the SW zone but I get lucky and find 2 Sarcos. I harvest their prime. Kill a few trilobites for Chitin, tame up the Ptera, and now I'm sky bound. Ptera tamed out with 507 (506?) stam and 201 wt. Perfect for my needs from it. I hit a few notes with it and get him up to 1025 stam and 250 wt. 

Back at base, I head back out and grab that 125 Trike too. 

Once the Trikes done, I get my narco harvest on. Farm up enough to make 200 narcotics. Turn half of those into tranq arrows.  Time to get an Argy. 

I decide to hunt the Argy's on Rag so I farm out my trap and a small 1 x 1 for future Rag trips, load everything up, and head over. 

Rag is being finicky today. I see like 12 Argy's up in the jungle. 20, 55, 80, 90, 20, 15 but finally spot a 130. Not ideal but first bird, it'll do. Set my trap, get it caught, and KO it. 2.4k hp and 656 wt on knock down. Not too bad. Kill some of the low level Argy's for prime and tame it up.

Ark boned that weight (thanks for the 3 levels in it putting it up to 680) but the hp rolled to 3.5k so I'll take it. 

I scan once more and hey, a 140 has appeared. I kite that to my trap but it's not cooperating. Losing aggro and flying back out before I can shut the door. 

I eventually get it trapped and KO it. Goes down with 270 melee. Very nice. I kill a few more Argy's for prime (I have 10x taming so prime still gives my 99% TE) and tame up this Argy. Sigh. 360 melee. It's not bad but I expect 400+ if it's got 270 on knock down. 

Bonus, these are a breeding pair so I'll have to get a couple imprinted to me once I got cryo's or kibble. 

I am happy with my progress today (level 72 at days end) and call it a night.

I have put my unofficial Valguero map on the back burner because I was a bit tired of breeding, which is really all there is to do at this point, but I have some real nice lines going. 

I have the Deino's at 19 mutes and hatching 1740hp, 700+ stam, and 384 melee. I want to lock up a side there and then raise an Army for the fight. 

I got my Anky's at 484 melee. I started on Rhino's and got them currently at 6100 hp, 700+ stam, and 450+ melee. 

I also just started on Daeodon's after taming up 16.4k food. 

I needed a break though so we'll see when I go back. 

My friends are still enjoying it though and we paid through December in anticipation of Genesis. 

Until next time.

• Like 5

Today on extinction: After work, I set out on gathering some stone to roof in my house and get my walls more than one high. I ended up finding my doed and velon that were apparently shot into orbit for a couple days by the geyser. After getting them home safely, I put my little 20 velon in turret mode on the few ceilings above my bed. A 135 spawned and obliterated it, so I had to go kill it. After that, I decided to raw meat tame a couple low level female velons while 2x is active. I now 2 female eggers and my 120. I am now up to 3 medium eggs! As soon as I get 20ish, I may try to hop over to aberration to go scout out a 150 aberrant anky because my anky is level 40 and only marginally better than a primitive metal pick. I really need to check on my aberration base. It's been a week and I left because I spent days on end looking for a crate, but people have walked off major pathways and I don't have a drake.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Milsurp said:

There's a mod for that by the map maker- Map Extension for Valguero. I haven't yet searched well enough to find the owls, featherlights, manas or velos, but I can confirm the others are there.

Yeah I run an Xbox Nitrado server so mods aren't a thing for me sadly. Have to play with the code itself. 

Shame as I'd love Drakes and their nests

On 8/30/2019 at 5:07 AM, caleb68 said:

Official Valguero -

Today I after getting on i launched the second pc and added that character to the tribe, sitting them in front of the grinder and chem station making flint, thatch, and narco, getting them all the way to level 45 before stopping with them.  It'll be a crafting character for the tribe, that way we won't have to do mind wipes anymore. Going to take advantage of this 2x weekend with it and see if i can't get it all the way up to 90.

While that one was busy at the grinder and chem station, i set off on the main valguero character to collect more stone and wood with the rock elemental, as its pretty easy in the chalk hills with him.  afterwards I headed to the swamp and gathered more berries, was mainly after narco but brought back the other berries to top off the feeding bins for all the berry eaters who promptly returned the favor with a nice pile of eggs.  After gathering meat for the rest of the dinos, I decide to do a little building, and one of my tribe members headed off to the scar to get some milk.

shortly after he arrived there I heard across the radio "Fire wyverns are back!" and about 20 minutes later "I'm Dead!" I noticed he was out on his wyvern and asked if it was okay,  "its got 200 health left!".   it seems he got chased by 5 firewyvern from the scar, and after losing them he landed only to have a giga rundown on him and a rock golem pop up, not being able to take off due to stam, he was sure he was dead, but they managed to get back home.

Were raising two wyverns at the moment, a 190 and a 185, the 185 came out almost all white, with a little grey on it, the 190 is white with light blue spikes and top of head, its so pretty, were hoping these ones don't vanish like the previous two babies did, a 150 and 155. I put them away after imprinting, and feeding them the last bit of milk.  They seem happy, after all, they wanted cuddles.

Afterwards, i headed to the island for abit, sat just feeding the gacha to make element for the tek geny to keep the feeding troughs there going, 40 element later all was good. topped off the feeding troughs and cryoed up the dinos at the outpost bringing them back to the main base to make feeding a bit simpler.  I did abit of sorting of mats in containers to make it a little easier to craft some new structure pieces for building at valguero once transfers open up. I'm going to need a lot more pieces to finish off the base there.

Sat at the steam page thinking about about purchasing Genesis for the second computer as well, thinking it may be nice to have a crafting character there too ready to use when the tribe needs it.  Still debating.

Ice Wyverns do look great don't they. Always been my favourite, and I have a lovely white/blue one at the moment. 

Screenshot-20190827-175229.jpg

• Like 1

EU-PVP-Official-[REDACTED]

An old nemesis is back in the neighbourhood. Known to my files by the codename "Chrysanthemum", the wily Frenchman struck like a thief in the night and Safehouse One is completely burned. Safehouse Two also got hit, but remains in play. Safehouse Three is secure.

Cryopods have indeed been a game changer - I only recently discovered that you could make them in a supply crate. Being able to keep dinos alive has proven to be a real boon to productivity (who'd have thought?), allowing me to quickly amass the narcotics needed to tame the pteradon that significantly extended my range of operations and made Operation Beaver Snatch such a stunning success.

I am now bathing in cement paste, free from the shackles of Big Chitin.

I have, with some reluctance, traded beauty for functionality. I'd recommend the following instructions if your PC is struggling with Ark. I was still thinking of mine as being quite beefy, when it was actually quite beefy about six years ago...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=475747492

Edited by chris282
  • Like 3