Cryopod Changes in ASA

iDash

PVP don't need Cryopods it will make their game better.

PVE with no Cryopods the severs will hit the tame limits in two weeks no matter how high the Sever limit is.

They really should, like the first day in ARK, separate the two modes like player speed nerf, flyer nerf, etc!

PVE and PVP are two different games!

What do you think about the no Cryopod issue?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

lol, you don't need an early access and lie to listen community to discover that if you put hands on fire you get them burned.

cryos are meant to make the game playable and not a time consuming tamagochi. bad decay time settings already ruined PVE experience (looking at you power cables!). Summed on no changes on mutations mechanics as well no real hint about fighting structure spamming and huge breeding factories, is just making ASA pve official already worse than ASE official before starting.

• Like 8

The only point where I am divided are the cryopods, I see a lot of positives, but also negatives, such as those who do not have the time to breed them, or the storage of dinos for those who have a small base. Being able to steal other players' dinosaurs by killing them or raiding their base is also a huge miss. Maybe think about leaving the cryo but with a nerf for using in fight/raid ?

Edited by creamly23

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Cryopod Changes in ASA

Maybe in ASA in general, it should be harder to maintain a horde of pets. With ASE it wasnt any real struggle to maintain a base full with 100 Rexes...
Making farming food harder, will make it so that having big numbers of pets will be a struggle and maybe way less desireable or archieveable...
The people taming everything they see because its fun to tame, will then maybe lose those pets to starvation as they are too busy taming more pets LOL

Also, maybe another variable can be a threath to your dino population... Sickness? Maybe dinos could randomly get sick and would need care? Thus having a horde too big will also make you lose tames, or think twice about the size of your horde...

-> Creature submission: The Bugswarm, that can carry diseased variants, like leeches, can fly into your base, ignored by turrets...

Gomphocerus sibiricus

We have a lot of large bugs, but locusts, crickets, and grasshoppers are a group that we haven't seen yet. These locusts could be like the Cretaceous Locusts from JW: Dominion. Perhaps you could tame an entire swarm and unleash death?

undefined

Posted August 29 (edited)
SunSetErosion:

Yes i have thought about this before. I see it more of a 1 time tame or something. Something you could capture in a Big jar or something, similar to catching fish in a basket and releasing it afterwards. It would be hard though to cryo an entire swarm, or to manipulate it through commands. Swarms have their mothermind, doesnt feel like it would be "tamable" But with the right mechanic it could be a great debuffer or an anti- turret or trojan horse (invisible for turrets) for PvP. Maybe have it react to the pheromone dart or something.

Edited August 29 by SunsetErosion

Edited by SunsetErosion

13 hours ago, iDash said:

PVE with no Cryopods the severs will hit the tame limits in two weeks no matter how high the Sever limit is.

That would still be true even with crypods. Busy servers are always near the tame limit all the time, and all of the new servers in ASA will be busy at first. With or without cryopods the PvE servers will all be at or near the tame limit within a couple of weeks.

The man result of removing cryopods will be that breeding super dinos will take longer (and I'm betting this is the reason WC did it). Since people will only be able to play with the dino's they've tamed, they won't be able to use cropods to store bunches of breeding dinos from many species.

V disappointed in no cryos at launch, as someone who was around in ASE EA I know just how much the game improved when they came out. I really don't want to get into breeding again at all without them, and even on day 1 I know I will need a huge base again, and so will everyone else. No building in an out of the way place and ppl spreading out across the maps, the old high value areas (near to resources, water and obes) will return, most won't get them and moving around will be tedious, you will need outposts everywhere - rip building on officials for anyone not there the first couple of days. It's bad news for the game imo.

It's not just about quickly podding a dino for those who weren't around back then, its about base size needed, breeding (raising a giga without cryos is literally bad for your health), transport, tedious dino maintenance, server health and tame caps. 

No cryos in PVP may be a good idea, no cryos in PVE is crazy bad idea.

Edited by Luizza
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Here is my idea for a cryopod replacement that is not quite so OP - have special buildings you can upload your tames into that place them in stasis.  Maybe a barn for land tames, aviary for flyers, marina for water tames, and nursery for babies.  Would look cool, and offer a lot of the same server performance benefits (would also make baby raising tolerable). 

Another option would be to increase the number of tames you can store in the Ark Data upload, and not have an expiration timer on it, along with a better UI to manage tames in upload.  That would be really simple to implement, and just storing tiny data files for people's tames would only use negligible amounts of server storage space.  Maybe just have a limit on the number you can download per day on the PVP servers, for balance purposes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreadcthulhu said:

Here is my idea for a cryopod replacement that is not quite so OP - have special buildings you can upload your tames into that place them in stasis.  Maybe a barn for land tames, aviary for flyers, marina for water tames, and nursery for babies.  Would look cool, and offer a lot of the same server performance benefits (would also make baby raising tolerable). 

They actually had a version of this in Atlas, a stable to store your tames which was pretty good imo. Maybe they already have that in mind.

• Like 1

As a player since EA and someone who focuses on breeding with the lack of Cryopods and being a full time employee with real world responsibilities your really going to kill the game for people like myself.  Cryopods were the largest quality of life change for people who actually had some sort of life outside of Ark and once again you will be putting players who can average 14-16 hours a day ahead only because they can log in and put meat in a inventory not because they have any form of skill over another player or have any sort of level of achievement they have progressed to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

As much as I love the movement speed change, I equally hate this cryopod change.

It's going to be impossible to hide small solo or duo bases now. The only way to beat the parasaur scan was to cyro your animal's and dont sign off in your base. Well, now you're screwed.

Even just from a server stress/load management aspect, this change sucks.

I understand that UE5 is a much more capable engine, but everything has its limitations. When people build massive bases and have 100s of dinos out at all times, I find it very hard to believe the game will still run smoothly when rendering all that in at once.

Everyone talks about the "old school" Ark feeling, but people seem to forget that there were also really really negative aspects of the game that were fixed in time. Cryopods were one of those overwhelmingly positive changes.

This is a huge step backwards in an otherwise very good community crunch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:25 PM, iDash said:

To be honest, the first time I ever saw dino cap messages on an official server was in my Ragnarok base. How long after launch was that?

Two weeks is probably a tad pessimistic sir. I believe cryopods will be in the game way before caps are threatened.

3 hours ago, skeeta said:

To be honest, the first time I ever saw dino cap messages on an official server was in my Ragnarok base. How long after launch was that?

Two weeks is probably a tad pessimistic sir. I believe cryopods will be in the game way before caps are threatened.

I think you forgetting that it will be only one map available at start and we dont even know how many servers they will actually launch. I believe they will have most of them reserved for other maps to come. Plus as mentioned above, old players/breeders will get rafts/ bunch of dodos to make sure they can do what they want. Personally i think this with cryopods is a downgrade from what we already have, considering that the breeding system remains the same.

12 minutes ago, CatInFire said:

I think you forgetting that it will be only one map available at start and we dont even know how many servers they will actually launch. I believe they will have most of them reserved for other maps to come. Plus as mentioned above, old players/breeders will get rafts/ bunch of dodos to make sure they can do what they want. Personally i think this with cryopods is a downgrade from what we already have, considering that the breeding system remains the same.

Doing so is against COC, by the time they actually reach the Tame-limit (whatever it will be) Those exessive Rafts owners and dino-count-stealers could have been removed and those players might even get bans... Do you want to take that risk? I will be there to report you doing something like that for sure...
Yes Ive seen some tame-limit reached on servers also. Not too many times, but I had the luxurity to avoid those servers and start playing somewhere else. In the end I dont think its gonig to be something that will be a real issue. They will open up new servers, I highly doubt they wouldnt, if they find out the servers are getting to crowded...

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:02 AM, St1ckyBandit said:

As much as I love the movement speed change, I equally hate this cryopod change.

It's going to be impossible to hide small solo or duo bases now. The only way to beat the parasaur scan was to cyro your animal's and dont sign off in your base. Well, now you're screwed.

Even just from a server stress/load management aspect, this change sucks.

I understand that UE5 is a much more capable engine, but everything has its limitations. When people build massive bases and have 100s of dinos out at all times, I find it very hard to believe the game will still run smoothly when rendering all that in at once.

Everyone talks about the "old school" Ark feeling, but people seem to forget that there were also really really negative aspects of the game that were fixed in time. Cryopods were one of those overwhelmingly positive changes.

This is a huge step backwards in an otherwise very good community crunch.

What was a real game-changer for me to determine how many dinos I had in my base was also the Kibble-system change.
My base was kind of a really interesting place to hang out though if you know what I mean...
Im not the kind of player to keep the houndreds of old bred Rexes though. Having them all in my base should be and is too much of a struggle for me. I just "release" them. With cryos you could just drop them on the ground though. Also a lot easier idd...
Maybe they should add a "kill-off fuction" like with the Ovis. Get some good prime from it or something. Then also make keeping Dinos a bit harder, so having insane hordes doesnt sound so appealing etc...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

Do you want to take that risk? I will be there to report you doing something like that for sure...

I never done anything like it while i was playing on official, and anyways im not planning to play on official now, i even not quite sure if i buy ASA. I just like to discuss about it a bit, out of nostalgic reasons xD [ its a love/hate thing ]

1 hour ago, CatInFire said:

I never done anything like it while i was playing on official, and anyways im not planning to play on official now, i even not quite sure if i buy ASA. I just like to discuss about it a bit, out of nostalgic reasons xD [ its a love/hate thing ]

I wasnt really targeting you for behaving that way. It was a statement to imply not that many people would do such a thing. And if they would, they potententially risk their ability to play official servers...

On 9/30/2023 at 4:25 PM, iDash said:

What do you think about the no Cryopod issue?

this is a short lived issue and i don't see why people are getting their undies in a bunch.  they straight up said that content will be release with the map it was released with.  so cryopods will be released when they re-release the extinction map.  and i believe they said that all existing content would be released before the end of december.  so this 'issue' will not be permanent. 

• slejo changed the title to No CRYOPODS in ASA is very bad idea!