Ark Ascended Questions

Justin990406

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, St1ckyBandit said:

I guess that opens up a whole other can of worms where you essentially have to pay to play on certain servers. Kinda seems like making mods purchasable beyond purely cosmetic stuff is going to lead to headaches. Or maybe I'm missing something here.

I think you're asking the right questions. 

It all depends on how they end up structuring the monetization of the mods. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 2:49 PM, A1phaDrag0n01 said:

Are Mods going to be available on Official ASA Servers? Are people on Official servers going to able to purchase mods when they arrive and be able to use them on Official servers?

I guess we will find out in about 2 weeks when ASA is released and I'm assuming we will get more information then.

Keep in mind (if you are not familiar with mods), mods are mostly installed on the server and then everyone joining the server must also install the mod. There are a few exceptions to this, but in general, when joining, you will then download any mods you don't already have installed. Also mods are not part of the game officially and not for the most part made by WC employees. So it makes no sense to have mods running on official servers.

There might even be a legal reason you never see mods on an official server, although I don't know of one. Technically they could be installed, but I don't expect to see this ever happen. If you have used a mod before, you'd know that if they are removed (and they could be if made by a 3rd party like they are now), stuff on the server breaks, sometimes so much that a server wipe is required. No way WC would want to deal with problems like that that are out of their control.

I'll be playing with mods when they are available for ASA, but of course on an unofficial server. Just like I did with ASE.

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, darkradeon said:

1 day left before allowing selling ASA before 1st november of steam XD (steam requires 2 weeks page public before selling a game)

Well yes, if you believe everything you hear on youtube. Me, I'm a bit skeptical and think we might not hear any news until just a few days before release.

Ark Survival Ascended is very scary. I don't mean the dinosaurs are too realistic, but scary because it's ark.

I think there's an 8 out of 10 chance that it will be an even lower quality than normal ark, and i'm very sincerely hoping it isn't, because i love ark and hate trashy bug-fest games. I would like to be able to only love ark and not hate the trashy bug-fest part of it.

I am scared because it's been promised to release as scheduled at the end of this october, but wildcard has a reputation for making sudden and frequent delays in their new projects (Genesis 1 and 2 especially). What's even worse is that all we've gotten for teasers are concept art for structures and a picture of a raptor, among other things i might be forgetting.

This is the same thing that happened for genesis 1 and 2. They both got heavily delayed right before they were meant to release, and we only got concept arts and vague in game screenshots right before they released, but it was a lot more than ASA.

If ASA is to truly release as scheduled, i would be prepared for but not expecting a buggy mess that might be even worse than old ark. Again, i'm not trying to be a pessimist, and i truly hope it will be what they say it is.

We also must remember that wildcard is owned/run by Snail Games. For those who don't know, Snail Games is a shoddy chinese game company that purchased wildcard and ark and then proceeded to ruin it by rushing everything and providing little funding. (This link provides more details by organizing a youtube video on the subject https://eightify.app/summary/artificial-intelligence-and-future-of-work/snail-games-financial-crisis-ark-survival-s-uncertain-future)

I recall that there was even a time when the CEO of Snail Games allegedly used a large portion of company money to start an electric car business, which promptly bankrupted and was abandoned. I'm not saying it's entirely snail's fault that ark is the way it is, but they have definitely not helped it.

At the end of the day though, ASA isn't out yet, so i could just be talking out of my ass. Let me know any thoughts on this topic.

• Sad 1

Yea I hate the thought of them releasing a crappy game that I don't have to purchase and wasn't baited to buy. Why can't they be more like every other company and give me trailers that aren't actual gameplay but look sick af, and give me gameplay that's clearly subject to change before release. AND why don't they let me pre-Order so I can be out my money before I even get to play the crap game! 

• Facepalm 1

What scares me is the high number of games releasing with bad performance, will ark ASA be one of them? 

I don't expect perfect optimization but I fear a city skylines 2 like scenario, the game is simply unplayable.  I couldn't stand the constant stuttering in CS2 review videos and canceled my pre-order of top edition, I hope ARK 2 ASA is not like that.   

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sharpi3loko said:

Yea I hate the thought of them releasing a crappy game that I don't have to purchase and wasn't baited to buy. Why can't they be more like every other company and give me trailers that aren't actual gameplay but look sick af, and give me gameplay that's clearly subject to change before release. AND why don't they let me pre-Order so I can be out my money before I even get to play the crap game! 

Anyone who's not an idiot or doesnt have disposable income can just wait til the game releases and check out someone streaming it or a reviewer like IGN etc to see what the actual gameplay entails or how the game runs.

That has nothing to do with putting out a gameplay trailer a week before the thing launches.

Another "silent marketing" proponent it seems

20 hours ago, NOU123 said:

If ASA is to truly release as scheduled, i would be prepared for but not expecting a buggy mess that might be even worse than old ark. Again, i'm not trying to be a pessimist, and i truly hope it will be what they say it is.

It's going to be a shipwreck the day they release it, but there are so many people who throw money at WildCard in spite of creating a terrible product that it won't matter. WildCard's philosophy on bugs is, "There's always time to fix it later. Maybe. If we're in the mood to do it."

It's been like this for every paid DLC. As long as people keep giving them money for publishing half-baked products they'll keep releasing half-baked products. Your only real choice is to hold on to your money until they've fixed enough stuff that it's worth it to you to play the game. Or, if you buy it right away then just admit to yourself that you're willing to pay for a buggy mess. If that's what you want to pay for that's ok, it's your money and your choice, as long as your honest about what you're paying for. There's no good reason to believe this will be a smooth rollout, and a hundred reasons to believe it will be a buggy mess. Now you have to decide what you're going to do with your money.

16 hours ago, Sharpi3loko said:

If you don't like the way they do business then don't buy their product. That's the only power we have as consumers.

Ark Ascended was announced to be cross-platform between PS/Xbox/Win 10 versions at laucnh with steam later joining them when ready. What is considered the Win 10 version? I want to experience the fresh grind with all my old console buddies at launch so I want to make sure I get the right version. Is Win 10 the Epic games version?

Also if anyone could elaborate what they mentioned on the breeding changes I didn't fully understand about them giving it a multiplier instead of the creatures wild stat multiplier?