So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Today I decided to breed my dodos (I was trying to get colorful ones for almost as long, as I was playing (as in, on a server. I didn't bother with mutations of anything until I started to play on a server), but never really succeeded, the only bright ones were all descendants of an event one, not mutated). Bred my dodos. Hatched eggs. Finally a color mutation!

Also, finished hatching a wild deinon egg I found yesterday. It hatched into a male with good melee, health above 1000, AND Dragon Fire feather accents, which I wanted for a long time!

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

Well, last week I started my own  PvE server via Nitrado for the Island on PS4 (Myrms1-Island-PvE-ORP-UKserver).  Yesterday, and the day before, I had my first visitor/survivor on my server.  

Okay, I know it's not much but I was excited by it; it made my day.  Thank you for visiting it survivor I hope you had fun there. ?

• Like 2

Last night I decided to break from my usual Ark tradition and try out Primitive +. Holy Different.

I normally play on private servers with a small group of people I know, but decided to change it up a little and try Prim+ on SP just to see what it was all about. I had a lot of fun gathering all of the different crop varieties and playing around with the different building materials. I find it interesting that "primitive" + has so many more options than the survival evolved mode - I kind of wish some elements of Prim+ were worked into the survival evolved mode. I am a big builder and decorator though (we play PVE), and I can see where some of those elements would be superfluous nonsense on a PVP server. Still, it's proving to be a fun little experiment!

I recently returned to the game after a long break (just after extinction release) because a friend rented a server and got a few other friends playing again. One of the guys spotted a Unicorn and decided to take it back to his base for taming, He's built in the cave under the lighthouse with nothing to stop it from running right off of his platforms, which it did, and he got to take all kinds of friendly harassment for letting it drown. After that I figured I'd not see another pop up for a while but I was in the highlands building a wyvern trap and see something bright white running along the edge of the scar. Not only did I spot my first unicorn, but a lvl 135 so it would even be usable. So I took a break from the trap building and swooped it away from all the bugs at the scar and got it tamed up. 2 days later I'm finishing up the wyvern trap and fly off to grind out the last few pieces needed and what do I see? Another Unicorn!! This time it's a 150!! Trap got put on hold again to complete my breeding pair of high level unicorns. After not seeing any in several hundred hours of game play I was pretty stoked.

Since then I've spotted 2 more, so I'm guessing they are not as rare anymore?

Today (well, from yesterday's evening to today): Bred my allos and rexes, got no new mutations, killed the hatchlings. Bred my diplos, no mutations but one of the two hatchlings inherited mother's bright red color and father's black back which is cool. Unpodded all the baby dinos I had (8 deinons, seven females and one male, plus four argents, a dodo and an ankylo) to raise them. Raised to juvenile, filled the trough with a ton of meat and some berries, went to sleep. Woke up to find all the deinons nearly adult and very much alive, dodo adult, ankylo perfectly fine, argies dead (whatever. Didn't really expect them to survive anyway). Did a meat run, refilled the trough. Podded deinons (including the adult females that I had for a while already) and unpodded them one by one in two neat 5-deino rows+the new male behind them (My very first deino, Nightmare Jenny isn't included in the rows because she's leveled and so not really fit for breeding, and with so many unleveled females I no longer have to use her for that anyway). Killed the old male because he was uglier and had worse stats. By the way, his name was Charlie, the new one is named Charlie, But Better.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
Fixed the number of deinons. Counted them wrong the first time somehow.

Today was a good day for me in ark, and the fact that it's Good Friday made it even better!

I'm a solo player and it's always felt like the bigger dinos are relatively out of my reach, particularly some of the better carnivores. I've been gearing up to upgrade from a raptor to a carno and went out this morning looking for one to tame. I scored better than a carno and spotted a lower level Rex next to some cliffs. I flew down and started peppering him with tranq arrows and was able to take him down by kiting him around some cliffs and using my flying mount's sprint to get ahead, dismount shoot 1 - 2 arrows, remount and fly ahead again.

With the 4x taming event as well it meant that getting this Rex was actually within my means and I was able to tame him! It was actually a super cool moment in my Ark career to date and felt amazing being able to not only do it solo, but completely accidently and by chance. It has made my Good Friday excellent :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, saltysteve said:

Today was a good day for me in ark, and the fact that it's Good Friday made it even better!

I'm a solo player and it's always felt like the bigger dinos are relatively out of my reach, particularly some of the better carnivores. I've been gearing up to upgrade from a raptor to a carno and went out this morning looking for one to tame. I scored better than a carno and spotted a lower level Rex next to some cliffs. I flew down and started peppering him with tranq arrows and was able to take him down by kiting him around some cliffs and using my flying mount's sprint to get ahead, dismount shoot 1 - 2 arrows, remount and fly ahead again.

With the 4x taming event as well it meant that getting this Rex was actually within my means and I was able to tame him! It was actually a super cool moment in my Ark career to date and felt amazing being able to not only do it solo, but completely accidently and by chance. It has made my Good Friday excellent :)

Good work!  

Rex can be quite dumb.  If you manage to attract their attention when you are looking down at them from a safe height, they will come to you and just stand there looking up at you.  You can then shower them with tranqs and they stand there and take it.  When they turn and run that's when you know they're close to sleeping and you can chase them down on foot, firing another couple of tranqs before they go down. 

Today: filled the troughs.

Fed my deinons some dino candy just to see if the colors would look good on them. Some don't, but some (especially sky-cyan-purple) look so great that I would love to have a mutated deinon hatch with such colors.

Finally took all the dust, oil and scrap metal from my main tek rex (it accumulated due to me breeding tek rexes and using him to harvest the corpses of ones that weren't cool enough to let them live), now he won't be always weighted down.

Some day before this comment but after my previous one: hatched a second mutated dodo, with green face.

I found out how to use cryopods, built many and a couple fridges, and started gearing up to tame a titanasour. Looks like a lot of metal for the cannons themselves, no biggie. But obsidian for the cannon balls???!? Well, I had it on standby already, but not for cannon balls, oh well. So started cooking metal, got enough for a couple cannons, but want a couple more before we do this. So went on a harvesting run. Looking good now. But noticed a couple easter themed dinos, thought all that hubar was on official servers.

Am tempted to go find some to see if I can snag a couple chibi's. Want a chibi argy or yuty. Rawr!

Hatched 26 eggs. Kept one dodo (female, mutation stat: unknown, Mutation color: purple on forehead) and one deinon (female, no mutations but good stats and pleasant combination of parents' colors). Also got a mutation on a tek rex, but killed it because the color was lame (shade of blue that wyverns often have, on sides) and the stat was unknown due to her inheriting stats from a leveled female (should exclude her from breeding from now on, probably. She's cool, was my first tek rex and all, but I have 4 perfectly good unleveled females with higher stats, so...).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

Hey all, I figured I'd make my first post a good one. I've been following this thread for a while, I love reading about everyone's adventures... frustrations, successes and all. I'm learning lots and it's giving me ideas of things I should do next or in the future. I'll give you a brief synopsis of what I've been thru so far, then my next post can be just about what I did in a day XD Gotta catch y'all up.

I'm a lvl 84 now and I didnt discover the forums till way later in the game. I did alot of dying before I learned what I could safely do. I'll share my most perilous moments...

My first base was in the rockiest part of the Southern Islets on the Island. It look me a long time to gather materials to make a raft, and when I finally did it you could not get me off that thing. I remember feeling safe for the first time. Then I learned the hard way that come nighttime, you should really stay in-base unless you know exactly what you're doing. I got lost on my raft and ended up with a few agro'd megalodons chasing my naked raft. I SOMEHOW found my bay in the middle of the darkness after dodging sharks and constantly running into things, and actually found my damn base. I was so happy, I thought my nightmare was over. I didnt realize one of the "sharks" was actually a crocodile, and it then proceeded to having its way with my base while I stood helplessly inside my wooden house with no weapons. I lost everything and had to start from scratch. It was a great lesson!

my next biggest drama came when I had rebuilt my destroyed wood base, and I had an outpost right halfway between there and Herbivore Island (crescent island). This time, I accidentally kited another croc to my base with the raft. "poop, not again!". knowing I had the other outpost with a bed, I fast traveled to the outpost before the croc could kill me and I woke up to an alpha carno tearing my outpost to pieces. More or less had to start over, but this time I was smarter.

One other time, I lost 5 dilos randomly in the forest 'cause I died while walking around with them, only to find them WEEKS later, all seperated over hell's half acre. I don't know how they didnt starve. They eventually all made it back and are currently in my final, main base.

My last biggest drama came when I FINALLY got a low lvl argy and was building my final main base in Hidden lake. I was flying around carrying my deod Django, collecting rocks when I got too close to the ground to cut a  short tree and a Theri kocked me off and started attacking the 3 of us. Argy flew off going straight up, and I died. Never got a message that Django died, though! The only problem was, the way I started my base build, it required a flyer to get on top until the ramp got built. So even if I spawned back up there, I was basically stuck. SO - had to spawn back down south, find one of my broken homes, re-build, re-equip, tame another ptera, use petra to kite argy to taming pen, tame argy then start the journey back up north. After a few days of searching, I find Django! horray. No sign of Argy, still though. Bummer.

That last bit happened maybe 2 weeks ago...

Just yesterday I was on a hunting trip to gather meat for the troughs and I found Argy 1... just standing on the beach, super far from where I had lost him. Not starving or missing health or anything, so weird! To add to that stroke of luck, the second argy I got to replace it was a different gender... so... now I can breed em! XD

Oh, just remembered - there was that one time I was on my hunting/taming raft built out of stone. parked my argy 2 (before we found the original on the beach) on top and was cruising over deep ocean. Stone, right? cant be damaged my magalodons, right? Wrong. My dumb ass put wooden stairs on the back 'cause I thought it didnt really matter it they broke. I agro'd a shark, and as it was attacking the wooden stairs, it bumped the raft just enought to make my argy pop over the railing. I didnt notice till I got to my destination, in pitch dark since the landing pad is at the very back of the raft. Petrified that I had lost another argy, I started sailing around aimlessly in the dark until I SOMEHOW found a floating dino name hovering over the ocean. sailed to safety, logged off. LOL. too much for me.

I'm by no means a good ARK player.. I didnt start taming my first dinos other than dodos till really later in the game. And even that was just a trike that got stuck in some rocks close to the first base. She has since passed (R.I.P. Tracy, died by piranha).

I hope I was able to entertain a few of you. Now that you're all caught up, next time I'll just say what I did that day ;)

Edited by Cordiste
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cordiste said:

Hey all, I figured I'd make my first post a good one. I've been following this thread for a while, I love reading about everyone's adventures... frustrations, successes and all. I'm learning lots and it's giving me ideas of things I should do next or in the future. I'll give you a brief synopsis of what I've been thru so far, then my next post can be just about what I did in a day XD Gotta catch y'all up.

I'm a lvl 84 now and I didnt discover the forums till way later in the game. I did alot of dying before I learned what I could safely do. I'll share my most perilous moments...

My first base was in the rockiest part of the Southern Islets on the Island. It look me a long time to gather materials to make a raft, and when I finally did it you could not get me off that thing. I remember feeling safe for the first time. Then I learned the hard way that come nighttime, you should really stay in-base unless you know exactly what you're doing. I got lost on my raft and ended up with a few agro'd megalodons chasing my naked raft. I SOMEHOW found my bay in the middle of the darkness after dodging sharks and constantly running into things, and actually found my damn base. I was so happy, I thought my nightmare was over. I didnt realize one of the "sharks" was actually a crocodile, and it then proceeded to having its way with my base while I stood helplessly inside my wooden house with no weapons. I lost everything and had to start from scratch. It was a great lesson!

my next biggest drama came when I had rebuilt my destroyed wood base, and I had an outpost right halfway between there and Herbivore Island (crescent island). This time, I accidentally kited another croc to my base with the raft. "poop, not again!". knowing I had the other outpost with a bed, I fast traveled to the outpost before the croc could kill me and I woke up to an alpha carno tearing my outpost to pieces. More or less had to start over, but this time I was smarter.

One other time, I lost 5 dilos randomly in the forest 'cause I died while walking around with them, only to find them WEEKS later, all seperated over hell's half acre. I don't know how they didnt starve. They eventually all made it back and are currently in my final, main base.

My last biggest drama came when I FINALLY got a low lvl argy and was building my final main base in Hidden lake. I was flying around carrying my deod Django, collecting rocks when I got too close to the ground to cut a  short tree and a Theri kocked me off and started attacking the 3 of us. Argy flew off going straight up, and I died. Never got a message that Django died, though! The only problem was, the way I started my base build, it required a flyer to get on top until the ramp got built. So even if I spawned back up there, I was basically stuck. SO - had to spawn back down south, find one of my broken homes, re-build, re-equip, tame another ptera, use petra to kite argy to taming pen, tame argy then start the journey back up north. After a few days of searching, I find Django! horray. No sign of Argy, still though. Bummer.

That last bit happened maybe 2 weeks ago...

Just yesterday I was on a hunting trip to gather meat for the troughs and I found Argy 1... just standing on the beach, super far from where I had lost him. Not starving or missing health or anything, so weird! To add to that stroke of luck, the second argy I got to replace it was a different gender... so... now I can breed em! XD

Oh, just remembered - there was that one time I was on my hunting/taming raft built out of stone. parked my argy 2 (before we found the original on the beach) on top and was cruising over deep ocean. Stone, right? cant be damaged my magalodons, right? Wrong. My dumb ass put wooden stairs on the back 'cause I thought it didnt really matter it they broke. I agro'd a shark, and as it was attacking the wooden stairs, it bumped the raft just enought to make my argy pop over the railing. I didnt notice till I got to my destination, in pitch dark since the landing pad is at the very back of the raft. Petrified that I had lost another argy, I started sailing around aimlessly in the dark until I SOMEHOW found a floating dino name hovering over the ocean. sailed to safety, logged off. LOL. too much for me.

I'm by no means a good ARK player.. I didnt start taming my first dinos other than dodos till really later in the game. And even that was just a trike that got stuck in some rocks close to the first base. She has since passed (R.I.P. Tracy, died by piranha).

I hope I was able to entertain a few of you. Now that you're all caught up, next time I'll just say what I did that day ;)

Welcome :) Always glad to have more people in the thread!

22 hours ago, SnowboundGem said:

@wizard03 I loved reading how your mom/mum (for us in the UK) got into the game. I downloaded it when my hubby was at work one day out of boredom and loved it. As soon as he tried it he was hooked.. 

Yeah, when she started talking to me about it, I was really confused. She likes candy crush and maybe some very old "mystic quest/fantasy DnD video games" But a game like ark? Well its the building simulation mechanics she likes, but yeah. Who would have guessed? lol

We are still building up to the Gamma Dragon boss.  I think that we are going to go with Therizinosaurs loaded with sweet vegetable cake, a Yuty and a doctor pig.  While our Theris are maturing, we decided to go for a romp on our Thylas to look for better Rex breeding stock.  Our Rex line has topped out at around 203 after hatching and it was really questionable the last time that we attempted (unsuccessfully) the snow cave to get  the artifact for the dragon boss.

Flont had decided to expand his presence on YouTube, so here is a short (8 min) video of us searching for a better Rex on The Island.

We plan on more of these including some "instructional" videos, so I hope you enjoy it.

Hatched a mutated tek rex. Not a melee mutation (or a second health one), but the color is black on the accents, so I froze him for later to use just for the color after I achieve the stats I want (which are... Well, better than the ones I have. I don't have an idea of exact numbers, just that it should be more).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

6 hours ago, Crymric said:

Accidently transfered to aberratin with 120k dust in my inventory and with a cryod quetz. 

Does that mean you lose those items? I’ve never transferred anything. 

Today, I made a small taming pen raft so I can get a good sabertooth with my argy for doing my first cave! I’ve been too nervous to try caves till now

50 minutes ago, Cordiste said:

Does that mean you lose those items? I’ve never transferred anything. 

Today, I made a small taming pen raft so I can get a good sabertooth with my argy for doing my first cave! I’ve been too nervous to try caves till now

Depending on the cave, a sabertooth may or may not be the best choice.  If the cave contains lots of bugs (spiders, scorpions, centipedes, etc.), I would recommend a Megatherium.  They get incredible bonuses whenever they kill bugs.  Megatheriums are larger than sabertooths (saberteeth?) and will not fit in small spaces.  Turtles are good for distractions.  They have good defense so attacking dinos chew on them for a while before they die.  This can give you the opportunity to get away or open up on the attacking dinos with distance weapons like bows, crossbows, or spears.  Turtles are in the size range between sabertooths and Megatherium, but they are very easy to tame by running backwards on a beach (no obstacles to run into) shooting them with tranq arrows until they drop.

I had only done three caves before I discovered the wonder of cryopods that will let you take larger dinos through smaller areas and release them into the larger areas on the far side of constrictions.  I could not make cryopods at the time, but I got some from drops during the Christmas event.  If you are not high enough level to make them yourself you may just have to wait or perhaps trade with other people .  Some caves are very difficult without big dinos, but big dinos cannot fit through the entrance.

There are lots of good things to get out of caves.  Good luck!