So what did you do in ARK today?

I mentioned a few weeks ago that we farm oil from Basilosaurs, cementing paste and polymer from Snails, and I was wishing that there were dinos that had metal to be farmed.  We tested a few methods for doing this and here are our results:

We locked a breeding pair of Tek Parasaurs in a building, hooked up a couple of A/C units and enabled mating.  If you use the "C" option of gathering with a Therizinosaur (I think it is a "bite"), you can get a lot (35 or so) scrap metal out of each new Tek Parasaur.  The advantage of not being able to attack your own dinos with other of your own dinos keeps the Theri from accidntally damaging the breeder Parasaurs.

We tried adding a breeding pair of Tek Raptors, but all of the dinos stacked on top of each other caused a fight and no Tek Parasaurs survived.  Also many of the babies grew up "embedded" in the floor and were difficult to get.

We advise using only Tek dinos that do not attack (like Parasaurs) and use a dirt floor (more of a "pen" than a "building").  The dinos will still grow a bit into the floor, but enough of them will be above the surface to attack with the harvesting Therizinosaur.  Unfortunately, the "C" attack of the Theri cannot be upgraded with its "harvesting points".  I will also experiment with adding an Oviraptor to increase egg drops.  Since our test was in the Southern Isles, we only used a couple of A/C units.  If you build such a setup further North, more A/C units may be required to keep the eggs at a hatchable temperature.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I logged in and lagged out for about 5 minutes, then rubber-banded all over the place so I quit and went to work where it's less stressful.

I always find this one of the most interesting posts to read. What did you do on *ARK* today? I for one tamed a few scorpions, filled my troughs full of berries and meat and then decided to look

PS4 - Private Server - Ragnarok   No new color mutations on the ravagers last night, so all those babies got killed. I then was flying around, and I saw a whole group of high level even

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Stretch11 said:

I mentioned a few weeks ago that we farm oil from Basilosaurs, cementing paste and polymer from Snails, and I was wishing that there were dinos that had metal to be farmed.  We tested a few methods for doing this and here are our results:

We locked a breeding pair of Tek Parasaurs in a building, hooked up a couple of A/C units and enabled mating.  If you use the "C" option of gathering with a Therizinosaur (I think it is a "bite"), you can get a lot (35 or so) scrap metal out of each new Tek Parasaur.  The advantage of not being able to attack your own dinos with other of your own dinos keeps the Theri from accidntally damaging the breeder Parasaurs.

We tried adding a breeding pair of Tek Raptors, but all of the dinos stacked on top of each other caused a fight and no Tek Parasaurs survived.  Also many of the babies grew up "embedded" in the floor and were difficult to get.

We advise using only Tek dinos that do not attack (like Parasaurs) and use a dirt floor (more of a "pen" than a "building").  The dinos will still grow a bit into the floor, but enough of them will be above the surface to attack with the harvesting Therizinosaur.  Unfortunately, the "C" attack of the Theri cannot be upgraded with its "harvesting points".  I will also experiment with adding an Oviraptor to increase egg drops.  Since our test was in the Southern Isles, we only used a couple of A/C units.  If you build such a setup further North, more A/C units may be required to keep the eggs at a hatchable temperature.

Although you cant automate it Steg yields are better. I gather the eggs and hatch them in sets of 50. Kill them all and harvest both xp and resources. The dino doing the killing matters as big AoE killers tend to not register all the kills esp. for materials. Next best is paras. Quetzs ok but not many have a good farm going. Raptors way too many problems....

Following the success of my first ever boss fight - Gamma Broodmother attempt, I took my 18 Theri's, Daedon and Yuty back to the obelisk to try the monkey and dragon.

Noob moments to mention:

- All my dinos had been sitting in the cryopod since the last boss fight not healing etc.
- My Daedon was also sitting on 0 food
- Sharing out the few cakes I had, resulted in them being eaten immediately...

So I'm sitting at the obelisk with half dead Theri's and a starving pig..

I did a quick meat run in an attempt to heal up the Theri's via the Daedon healing but they really didnt seem to recover much health at all (am I doing something wrong) at no point was the pig at full food which probably affected this.

So I go into Gamma Monkey, kite him to the entrance and proceed to kill him with no deaths, perfect!

So now I'm reading that the dragon is a lot harder than the other 2 and I'm beginning to second guess giving up in this stream to enable the dinos to recover health...Then at some strange thinking, I just jump straight into the Dragon fight..

Noob moment No.4:
- I still had my artifact holding otter on my shoulder

I go in, nothing is happening, I whistle all follow and walk forward a bit, still nothing... I then hear wings, turn around and am completely surrounded by Theri's whilst on the Yuty and cannot move.  We take out the Ptera's and the Dragon is hurling fireballs at the Theri pile but once I get a shot off at the Dragon, the Theri's attack leaving Yuty, Pig and I following behind.
Immediately Theri's start dropping and within a few minutes everyone is dead.

I lose everything, my artifacts, all my Theri's, Rare Sighting Daedon (which, I know, I should've bred like you guys told me) and my low level Yuty.

Future Plans:

So it's not all bad, 

- I can breed up 18 Theri's relatively quickly, this time I'll leave them out of the pods until full health
- Finding another Rare Sighting Daedon will be down to RNGesus
- Tame another Yuty (I'm assuming I just need high stamina for this)

So all in all, these were my first 3 boss fights I have ever done and managed 2.

Beta and Alpha seem very daunting for me right now after the Dragon fail but i'm hoping to get everything done before Genesis.

Sorry, for the huge essay but as always, any tips, hints etc are greatly appreciated.

Healing up 18 or so dinos can take a fair bit. A few pig fulls. When you fill the pig with food, fly out of draw distance and back, he will automatically eat all in it's inventory. If I'm doing multiple boss fights I'll cook up several fridges of meat first. Cooked meat is better for pigs.

As for the dragon. Yeah, mistakes, we all make them. Need full health going in,  and I take 5 cakes per theri. 

Pigs aren't rare though, boat loads of them in the tundra. 

Yuty, yeah pile points into stam. 

I would breed both pigs and yuty though so you've got a mating pair.

41 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Healing up 18 or so dinos can take a fair bit. A few pig fulls. When you fill the pig with food, fly out of draw distance and back, he will automatically eat all in it's inventory. If I'm doing multiple boss fights I'll cook up several fridges of meat first. Cooked meat is better for pigs.

As for the dragon. Yeah, mistakes, we all make them. Need full health going in,  and I take 5 cakes per theri. 

Pigs aren't rare though, boat loads of them in the tundra. 

Yuty, yeah pile points into stam. 

I would breed both pigs and yuty though so you've got a mating pair.

Thanks so much, thats some really useful information!  Especially the render distance for pigs!

Logged onto our Valguero server - activated the valentines event (with ActiveEvent=vday and not my presumed "LoveEvolved"), killed all wild and tamed the first thing I seen in event colours - a red and white stripe 145 Baryonx girl which have named Candy Kane - obviously.

Checkin her stats and seems to be a good unplanned tame - obviously not as good as our breeding aberrent line but adding 3 points to HP and 5 to Melee over our current regular Baryonx on that map.

Beginning the rebuild off stream (I did record it for YouTube) this time following my Gamma Dragon failure.

Bred up roughly 10 Theri's and managed to get an ascendant Theri saddle BP which should help so much!

I found a Rare Sighting Yuty for the team as well.

I built a boss dino storage area next to the obelisk where they can safely regain health following battles as per a recommendation on Reddit.

Next steps:

I'll need to hatch a few more Theri and find a high level Daedon.

Once the team is set, I'll make up a bunch of cakes and try the dragon again.

Raised my 18/19 Theri's ready to fight bosses, just waiting for their exp to tick whilst in their pods.

Still undecided whether to include a Daedon or just rely on cakes

Made up a ton of cakes and stored them in a refrigerator at the boss dino storage by the obelisk

Scouted The Island for Rare Sightings and managed to find an ascendant pump shotgun which will also come in useful!

Also ran some caves to stock up on artifacts.

I think by Saturday's stream, i'll be ready to try Gamma Dragon again

Beat Alpha dragon for the first time. Only tried alpha once before and lost badly with 45k health rexes. Went with 17 theris this time, + yuty and 2 pigs. 25k health and 1135 melee on the theris. Got our revenge. only lost 1 their because it fell over the side. most had more than half health and the end. 5 cakes each plus the 2 pigs did the trick. Left the arena and realised that 2 of the theris hadn't travelled with us, so we'd done it with 15. Prepping for the alpha tek cave now. Hopefully get that done before genesis drops.

Been awhile but I spent a solid weekend on the Ark. Not on the server, though. One of my main issues with joining boosted PVE servers is that progression is just too fast. By the time I joined the tribe they had a tek base already, having bought massively overpowered boss rexes and blasted through all the Valguero content in just one month. So I ended up doing one boss fight with them and then we all split off onto different maps to build up because this cluster has different transfer rules for each map, making it incredibly difficult to operate without full bases everywhere. Kind of annoying. I've been playing solo on Extinction, building up from nothing because the rule for that map is character transfer in only, no items or tames.

But it's a little dull doing all that solo on a boosted server, not just the rates but the stat multipliers are imo too high. So I've been kind of uninterested despite wanting to play with M again. Who, coincidentally, hasn't been around either.

So I logged back in to SP, which I haven't been on in quite some time. There are problems here too and it took a bit to reorient on where I left off. Last time I played I was cleaning up after defeating gamma dragon and preparing my third generation of boss rexes. Honestly the grind is starting to wear on me, I've spent so, so much time prepping and building up and I'm still stuck on The Island. I'm so eager to move on to the next map, but too stubborn to violate the rules of the "Ultimate Ark" challenge. The Christmas visit to Valguero for deinonychus eggs was a much needed break, as was time away from SP and Ark itself.

But with the Valentine's event in full swing and no weekend plans I jumped right in to take advantage of the boosted rates.

Spent almost the entire time in base cycling rex eggs since it's really the best way to level up my boss rexes (using PVP settings so I can kill them for exp). Made quite a bit of progress on the rex line, now up to 17 HP and 16 melee muts, hatching out with 17.6k HP and 527 melee before imprint. This is actually significant even over my third gen rexes, with 13 and 12 muts, respectively.

The nice thing about my base being set up where it is, I have fish spawning in the little pool just outside the walls. So I did some fishing between rounds of eggs and got a bunch of chibis. Nothing rare sadly but it's a nice distraction. Honestly I wish they would just go ahead and add them to drops or bosses or something so you can collect them outside of holidays.

I also took some breaks to work on some side projects. Did some deinonychus breeding just for colors, put together a couple of really solid color morphs from my small but surprisingly diverse pool.

20200216185334_1.thumb.jpg.421d4ba3ff6d8477b609635abcee44db.jpg

Probably the best morph I could produce out of my available colors, the "Alpha Deinonychus" is a blend of natural and Christmas colors, although it does look like a Valentine's spawn.

Did make it out and about for some taming and got my best non-bird rolls ever-a mammoth stood up with an astonishing 48 points in melee. Amazing. Mammoths are a side project, mainly for post-storyline play. I just prefer them to beavers and want to breed a super strong line. This will be a huge boost to my base bloodline.

And of course the ever present problem of what to do with the constant flow of breeding stock and outdated tames. Did a fairly large cull and barely feel like I made a dent, but I also moved a lot of animals around to make it easier. My biggest question at this point is honestly what to do with my older boss rexes. I don't really want to cull them necessarily, but I don't have much use for them anymore. My G1 rexes have no mutations at all and my G2 rexes have half the mutations of the current line. Honestly it's been really rewarding comparing the stats between all of them and seeing how far we've come. But it also reveals how comparatively weak the old ones are. I've been slowly uncryoing them as their replacements become ready and just positioning them outside my walls to keep them out of the way.

Either way I'm a bit more than halfway through leveling the G3 rexes. If I keep at it all week I should be able to take on Beta and maybe even Alpha Dragon next weekend. I have all the tribute items and I leveled their HP up first so it's just pumping melee up. I should be able to anyway, as it stands they all have 30k HP and 1000 or so melee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I introduced my beautiful girlfriend to Ark which was so awesome for her that she instantly managed to buy a ps4 and Ark. So I guess in wednesday we will Play together. 

Besides this amazing fact I was on my Solo Ragna and build my out of Base Metal location. And of course brought my anky and doedy over there. 

Cant wait for Genesis to be honest! 

I have quit and started from scratch on Ark more times than I can count. About 2 weeks ago I got the itch to play again so I found a cluster of servers and started. I'm playing on the island (but the cluster has all the maps except the center) I prioritized getting a few yutis to get kibble early and now have more kibble than I know what do with. I started breeding a decent line of barys, sloths, rexs, and theriz. I'm still looking for a a good hp yuti. My sloths are 34 points in hp (6.9k after imprinting) 35 points in melee (~400% after imprint) Is this good enough for broodmother? What should I level health to before putting points into melee?

Spent days looking for a max-level Thylocoleo on The Island and finally found one!  Tamed it up then went back out to go after an Argentavis I saw previously.  On the way got pounced in the air by yet another max-level Thylacoleo!  Lol!  All that searching to have one just "fall from the sky".  I did have to spend about 10 minutes searching for it after the pounce due to the annoying flee mechanic they have after pouncing.  But I got it and have bred my new super Thylacoleo and it looks like a white tiger.  His name is Tommy ;)

• Like 1