Cryopod Changes in ASA

iDash

15 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

They were pretty terrible when they did it in WoW as well.

Personally, I liked them a lot. But even then, they only worked (for me) because they were neither involved in PvP nor PvE, they were just sort of a "personal space" that didn't affect the game other than having friends help each other with some quests that weren't important and thus completely optional. WoW's implementation allowed people who wanted to fully explore a home instance to do so without forcing people to work on them if they didn't want to. But of course YMMV, sounds like you were one of the latter group.

• Volunteer Moderator
23 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Personally, I liked them a lot. But even then, they only worked (for me) because they were neither involved in PvP nor PvE, they were just sort of a "personal space" that didn't affect the game other than having friends help each other with some quests that weren't important and thus completely optional. WoW's implementation allowed people who wanted to fully explore a home instance to do so without forcing people to work on them if they didn't want to. But of course YMMV, sounds like you were one of the latter group.

Was an immersion issue for me. Wasn't really a big deal, just meh. Couldn't hold a torch to the way SWG did player housing. Then again, most games can't match some of the really cool stuff they did there. RIP SWG.

That's one of the major draws to Ark for me. Open world, sandbox. Or as the inventor of the internet said, "lockbox". It's a joke for the old farts. 

Edited by Joebl0w13

23 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Home instances have not been tried, but they have been discussed, and dismissed as a good solution for this game. Solutions that work well in other games will not necessarily work well in ARK, and using home instances is one of those not-good-for-ARK solutions.

Home instances are great... in some games, but they would look and feel pretty wonky and out of place with ARK. Open-world-sandbox-built-whatever-you-want isn't the kind of game that lends itself to home instances, they don't go great together.

Not that I have anything invested in this idea but it could work if implemented differently. The actual building could be in the world but certain rooms or door could lead to an instance for dino breeding or storage. They could phase it much like Blessed Unleashed if I remember correctly so as not to load entirely into another map. Building only hurts performance when they get very large and supposedly that has been optimized some but dinos do it way before then.

Before Cryopods I proposed they have cylindrical vats that you could store dinos in that could have a slot in the bottom to still give regular and fertilized eggs. I think if designed right it would have been very cool looking to have rooms full of Dino suspended in bubble solution.

2 hours ago, Cinnamongod said:

Not that I have anything invested in this idea but it could work if implemented differently. The actual building could be in the world but certain rooms or door could lead to an instance for dino breeding or storage. They could phase it much like Blessed Unleashed if I remember correctly so as not to load entirely into another map. Building only hurts performance when they get very large and supposedly that has been optimized some but dinos do it way before then.

Before Cryopods I proposed they have cylindrical vats that you could store dinos in that could have a slot in the bottom to still give regular and fertilized eggs. I think if designed right it would have been very cool looking to have rooms full of Dino suspended in bubble solution.

Yes, I like this. Instead of a door, which seems hokey that you would walk through it and go to some place other than what is on the other side of the door, have it be like a teleport structure, lets call it a portal. You place it in your base. You could walk through it riding or with the dino on follow and it transports you to a large area not on the map where you store your dinos. 

Possibly one reason they don't implement this, as it would remove all possibility of offline raiding in PvP. I personally don't care, as I don't play PvP. Or they could allow the attacker to also pass through this "portal" to where your dinos are stored, so you would need to protect the portal same as you did the dino storage area.

It does kind of remove the immersion when you teleport from one area to another though. Also where is all this off map stuff going to go. It has to be on the server, so doesn't really solve the problems with too many dinos on the server, etc.

5 hours ago, Cinnamongod said:

Instances also add to server load, unless you offload them to additional servers. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would require re-architecting the server software.

Beyond that, I'd say put this into the Suggestions section and see if WildCard finds it interesting.

5 hours ago, Cinnamongod said:

You're name wouldn't happen to be Edmund Rockwell...

On 11/7/2023 at 1:53 PM, Cinnamongod said:

One solution not tried is Home instances much like in Palia. They are not really trying to fix the problem. They only care that you keep playing. Cryopods were a step in the right direction and their poor judgement lead to this, unless they have a better implementation that is not ready yet.

Just out of curiosity I took a look at Palia, and wow. It is so different from ARK that any comparison between the two is a moot point. While it's true they both have harvesting and building, Palia is a classic RPG, and a "cozy game" on top of that, while ARK is an open-world sandbox game with a hostile environment, there are many more differences than similarities.

The home instances that they use in Palia would be terrible in ARK, as they completely remove home bases from interacting with the rest of the game. Bases in ARK are never, ever supposed to be a sanctuary that is separate from, and protected from, the rest of the game. Every base in ARK, whether PvP or PvE, is supposed to be part of the environment and interact with the environment (and other players).

Base building in Palia is all about building your own personal, private space that's separate from the rest of the game.  Base building in ARK is all about being part of the world your base inhabits. In ARK, there should never be a time when a base is isolated from, and immune to, the environment around it. That wouldn't be ARK any more.

Edited by Pipinghot
  • Like 1

Cryopods are a doubled edged sword. I love them and hate them at the same time. 

My idea would be this:

You can carry them anywhere but only deploy them in your build radius or at a push at obliesks/loot drops for boss fights. The latter idea I'm not so keen on. 

This way dinos can be stored to help with server stability but not used as some pocked defence when you're caught out or losing in pvp

I miss the adrenaline you'd get marching across an enemy server hoping you don't get caught out while approaching to fob up and suprise attack 

Edited by Ronson12

No cryopods benefits the mostly more established tribes.They can prepare raids better than small tribes like trios,duos,and solos,or even thoughs trying to build up.Alls they need to do is ally with a few tribes and they can control servers more easy than if there were cryos in the game.When cryos are in the game,even a solo can wreak havoc on the bigger tribes.

Cryopods are good for dinos storage and breeding. But sucks in pvp fight, because you can pop your dinos anywhere.

So the solution is to allow us to only cryo our dinos inside our base. It can be achieved by removing the Cryopod and rework the. Cryofridge to act like the vivarium from S+ mod, where it can put in stasis dinos in the vicinity.

(Btw disable placement on dinos platform and make it unpickable by rhynio/mechs unless empty)

Edited by TitiShu

1 hour ago, TitiShu said:

Cryopods are good for dinos storage and breeding. But sucks in pvp fight, because you can pop your dinos anywhere.

So the solution is to allow us to only cryo our dinos inside our base. It can be achieved by removing the Cryopod and rework the. Cryofridge to act like the vivarium from S+ mod, where it can put in stasis dinos in the vicinity.

(Btw disable placement on dinos platform and make it unpickable by rhynio/mechs unless empty)

I would agree with this type of compromise (PVP but also PVE). But my guess is that not having the Cryopods significantly reduces the amount of data in the Server files (?), those files would therefore only be burdened by the number of structures and objects preserved, in addition to the Dinos (of which the Servers in any case have a maximum limit both for domesticated than for wild ones, therefore a pre-calculated maximum load cannot be exceeded), if we combine the limit of 100 Dinos per Tribe we can assume that it will not be useful for anyone to build huge bases (perhaps true for PVE even if many like the aesthetics and therefore the matter falls, perhaps less true for PVP where you still need to set up your defenses as best as possible even if many of these would be destroyed on a daily basis)... I don't know, mine is just a hypothesis that derives from what I saw in the ASE servers and how many countless CrioDinos were present in everyone's fridges....

On 1.10.2023 at 09:01, SunsetErosion said:

Może ogólnie w ASA utrzymanie hordy zwierząt domowych powinno być trudniejsze. Z ASE utrzymanie bazy pełnej 100 Rexów nie było prawdziwą trudnością...
Utrudnienie hodowli żywności sprawi, że posiadanie dużej liczby zwierząt będzie trudne i być może znacznie mniej pożądane lub możliwe do osiągnięcia...
Ludzie oswajający wszystko, co zobaczą, bo fajnie jest je oswoić, być może stracą te zwierzaki z głodu, ponieważ są zbyt zajęci oswajaniem większej liczby zwierząt LOL

Poza tym, może inna zmienna może stanowić zagrożenie dla twojej populacji dinozaurów... Choroba? Może dinozaury mogłyby przypadkowo zachorować i wymagać opieki? Zatem posiadanie zbyt dużej hordy sprawi, że stracisz oswojenie lub zastanowisz się dwa razy nad wielkością swojej hordy...

-> Uległość stworzeń: Robactwo, które może przenosić chore odmiany, takie jak pijawki, może wlecieć do twojej bazy, ignorowane przez wieżyczki...

Gomphocerus sibiricus

Mamy wiele dużych robaków, ale szarańcza, świerszcze i koniki polne to grupa, której jeszcze nie widzieliśmy. Te szarańcze mogą przypominać szarańczę kredową z JW: Dominion. Być może mógłbyś oswoić cały rój i rozpętać śmierć?

nieokreślony

Opublikowano  29 sierpnia (edytowano) SunSetErosion: Tak, myślałem o tym już wcześniej. Widzę to raczej jako oswojenie na 1 raz czy coś. Coś, co można złapać w dużym słoiku lub czymś podobnym do łapania ryby w koszu i wypuszczania jej później. Trudno byłoby jednak zamrozić cały rój lub manipulować nim za pomocą poleceń. Roje mają swoją matkę, nie wydaje się, żeby dało się je „oswoić”. Ale przy odpowiedniej mechanice może to być świetny środek osłabiający lub anty-wieżowy lub koń trojański (niewidoczny dla wież) w PvP . Może niech zareaguje na strzałkę feromonową albo coś.  

Edytowany  29 sierpnia  przez SunsetErosion

There is already a similar version for Gensis 1 Swamp Biome

On 11/14/2023 at 11:13 PM, RidersOfNightmareDEJW said:

There is already a similar version for Gensis 1 Swamp Biome

Yes, ofcourse. I may have forgotten about that one at that time or something. But the Island doesnt have it and I think it was in response to overpopulation for ASA and how the game could deal with it.
Besides that, that Gen1 bugswarm always seems to have the flies to big. On my screen they are bigger than raptors! But a bugswarm more similar to the size and mechanic as the Gen 2 Rockwell Area swarm thing I wouldnt hate on the island also. 
Yes, there are the Meganeura and the TitanoDrones (Also, Beehives, occasional Scorpion, Achatina) but Biomes like Redwood should be full with insects. In real life thats like life threat N.1. for jungles etc. 

1 hour ago, SunsetErosion said:

Oczywiście, że tak. Możliwe, że w tamtym momencie o tym zapomniałem, czy coś. Ale na wyspie tego nie ma i myślę, że było to odpowiedzią na przeludnienie w ASA i tym, jak gra mogła sobie z tym poradzić.
Poza tym ten rój robaków Gen1 zawsze wydaje się mieć za duże muchy. Na moim ekranie są większe niż ptaki drapieżne! Ale rój robaków bardziej podobny pod względem wielkości i mechaniki do roju Rockwell Area Gen 2, również nie znienawidziłbym na wyspie. 
Tak, są Meganeura i TitanoDrony (również ule, okazjonalnie Skorpion, Achatina), ale biomy takie jak Sekwoja powinny być pełne owadów. W prawdziwym życiu jest to zagrożenie życia N.1. do dżungli itp. 

There are these leechs, sick leechs, aberrant leechs. But during my several thousand-hour adventure with ARK, I managed to forget that it exists. Even now on Island I don't see these ants, dragonflies or leeches very often. They could easily add mosquitoes, which also existed in the Cretaceous period etc. and carried malaria and other diseases. The idea of some dinosaur diseases seems interesting. I just don't know how "healing" a dinosaur would work. Giving Antidote or something like baby imprint to stroke or something? 
although it seems to me that such mechanics would simply require building large ugly block bases.

Cryopods certainly changed the game mechanics a lot. You could easily go on holiday and come back without asking anyone to take care of the base. It always looked like a request to watch the family dog/cat. but in fact it also caused different mechanics. This is a transport where you didn't have to use a quetzal to carry, for example, a Mammoth or walk halfway across the map to get to the base. All you need is some ptero and cryopod. Or on Ragnarok, throwing a lava golem/ice queen worm giganotosaur and killing these mini bosses without any problems and getting the reward or another dungeons, tek cave overseer. Or using game bugs + instability of creatures to clone them by throwing them out of a cryopod.  But they could easily block it

Edit:
It used to be that dinosaurs didn't disappear after a week. But after a week they were to be "claimed" by everyone by press button ,,E". This was also a cool solution if you cant play e.g. by 2 weeks, but it also forced everyone to build large block bases so that no one would steal the dinosaurs after a week.

Edited by RidersOfNightmareDEJW

I also remember when servers or tribes reached tame cap. They went to another map, built a behemoth base + tek transmitter and moved the excess dinosaurs to those maps. But since the extinction dlc, such combinations have stopped occurring.
On those maps where only dinosaurs were kept (usually farm animals, e.g. 200x rex), these were players who did not play, did not engage in server life, but simply fed them, and they return back to main server.  I once did something like this when the servers reached tamecamp for 10k tames. Because there was no other option.

For me, Cryopods really changed the mechanics of the game, the game became too easy because I always had a pocket Giganotosaur or Tusoteuthis in my inventory. But there were no such problems with breeding or taming. Alliances with your own tribe where you had 500 dodos or 500 rafts are also gone.

5 minutes ago, RidersOfNightmareDEJW said:

There are these leechs, sick leechs, aberrant leechs. But during my several thousand-hour adventure with ARK, I managed to forget that it exists. Even now on Island I don't see these ants, dragonflies or leeches very often. They could easily add mosquitoes, which also existed in the Cretaceous period etc. and carried malaria and other diseases. The idea of some dinosaur diseases seems interesting. I just don't know how "healing" a dinosaur would work. Giving Antidote or something like baby imprint to stroke or something? 
although it seems to me that such mechanics would simply require building large ugly block bases.

There is swamp fever, which is only transferable to Dodos -.-
But they could make other Dinos be able to get sick also.
They can keep it simple or work out a complete system...
They could make it not directly noticable also.
Maybe add a Resistance Stat to dinos, so that there could be constant Ticks for Resistance checks or something.
A Dino going out of base getting in contact with sickness gets its "Sick" meter to 50%
It doesnt catch anything. Because it has high Resistance. But having it nearby other dinos will let them have to deal with the AOE of the sickness also. If it fails, it will also get a fast buildup. If its resistance (maybe also food/water/health) is too low it will get sick. Kind of like with Torpor. If your Fort is low, you are easily Ko'ed...
Getting "sick" can mean a debuff, loss of stats, or something like slow HP drain, faster food drain...

• 1 month later...
  • Volunteer Moderator

Cryopod & Cryofridge Release

• Cryopod and Cryofridge have been added and are now level 50 unlockable Engrams
  • When a Cryofridge is placed, they take 5 minutes to "activate"
  • Cryopod can only be released within range of an "activated" and powered Cryofridge (range set to 6500 currently)
  • PVP Only: Cryopod can not be released if there are enemies nearby (range set to 3500 currently)
  • Dinos cannot be cryopodded if damaged within 60 seconds
  • Dino's mating cooldown will now tick down correctly within a cryopod
  • Cryofridge storage capacity has been increased to 120 slots
  • Cryopods can now be queued up when crafting them in supply drops and obelisks (previously was one at a time)
  • Cryopodded dinos can be stored and displayed on the Display Case structure
  • Cryopod configurable settings:
    • GameUserSettings.ini under [ServerSettings]

DisableCryopodEnemyCheck=True - will ignore the enemy player/structure/dino checks AllowCryoFridgeOnSaddle=True - will allow Cryofridge to be placed on rafts/saddles DisableCryopodFridgeRequirement=True - will disable the Cryofridge requirement for releasing cryopodded dinos

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:
  • Cryopodded dinos can be stored and displayed on the Display Case structure

Showcase structure? Would it be the Chibi display stand? I don't think it's the base for Taxidermy or the pedestal for Artifacts.

Ok, later the first test will be to try to place the Cryofridge on the Paracer, immediately after I will try the exposure mode, finally I will go to tame 300 Dodos which will guarantee me space for breeding/taming when the Server  reaches the Server limit in a couple of days...

Edited by CervantesMor

• Volunteer Moderator
5 hours ago, VendettaX7 said:

One of many, also:

Do not use cryopods on therries and mosshops, or any other dino that has harvesting levels. The cryopod wipes those and you don't get them back. !

Bug Fixes

• Using Cryopods on dinos with specialized harvesting levels no longer removes those levels when deployed.
  • This will also refund any missing level up points on currently broken dinos.
Edited by Joebl0w13