Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to reddit and all other online sources, all official servers are:

• continuously DDOS'd
  • constantly at player cap
  • constantly at tame cap
  • constantly lagging
  • constantly crashing
  • constantly victim to harassment, toxic behavior, cheating and duping

Now this might have been exaggerated a little bit, but yes, Official servers tend to have these problems.

7 minutes ago, Olivar said:

• continuously DDOS'd
  • constantly at tame cap
  • constantly lagging
  • constantly crashing

Now this might have been exaggerated a little bit, but yes, Official servers tend to have these problems.

Sad part is the fact that you're actually 'barely' exaggerating....just barely...

19 minutes ago, Olivar said:

• continuously DDOS'd
  • constantly at tame cap
  • constantly lagging
  • constantly crashing

10 minutes ago, Masurao said:

Sad part is the fact that you're actually 'barely' exaggerating....just barely...

Like @Olivar said, official servers tend to have these problems... In any game.

Just now, HalfSlabBacon said:

Like @Olivar said, official servers tend to have these problems... In any game.

In any game, liiiike...? Honestly I understand the concept but any other game I've played hasn't been plagued with the problems on this scale. You've snatched my curiosity now. Perhaps I haven't played such a game yet. 

19 minutes ago, Masurao said:

In any game, liiiike...? Honestly I understand the concept but any other game I've played hasn't been plagued with the problems on this scale. You've snatched my curiosity now. Perhaps I haven't played such a game yet. 

Really??? You're kidding me right???

I haven't played online shooters in many years; Yet even I know Overwatch, COD, Destiny, & Halo, to name a few, all have public servers Soo toxic they make Ark officials look like kindergarten.

Fact is, public servers attract griefers, trolls, and butt holes... Why??? Because they can't get invited to good private servers. In the rare occasion one of them does, they usually get banned in a matter of hours.

It's no different then social drinking... Invite a small group of people to your house, and it's usually a good time. Go to a large night club, it's a pretty safe bet you end up dealing with idiots.

1 hour ago, Masurao said:

2 hours ago, Olivar said:

• continuously DDOS'd
  • constantly at tame cap
  • constantly lagging
  • constantly crashing

No every server and this guy have been gang probed a little to much if you ask me ??

It would help if there werent hundres of legacy servers with max. of 5 players online. There were not enough official servers when Ark launched, and even up to now there still aren't enough servers. The few official PVE servers were cramped from the very beginning, so to much tribes/individual players are home per server. PVE-official-island-EU-43 was 70/70 the whole saturday, before tame limit was reached.

How could this have prevented? Whiping ALL legacy servers once. With that announcement to not give support on legacy and kill them off over time, it drove a lot more players to official servers as expected. No we have so many empty legacy servers left and officials are overcrowded. Other option would have been to keep up support for legacy and never whipe them ever, thus many would have not moved to officials (myself included).

Also, when there is an Ark sale and you got an influx of new players, there needs to be free server capacities. Maybe mark those servers recommended for "New Players". Servers which were established shortly before and are not near tame cap yet. Just imagine how dissapointed you are, buying the game in sale for 30€, and every PVE server that you go on "sorry mate, we are capped".

14 hours ago, Sh4rk said:

I don't understand what people expect to be done about the tame cap. You can either have laggy tame capped servers or massively more laggy uncapped servers. There really isn't anything to discuss, aside from arguing for more servers that will inevitably become capped as well.

I agree. Its an issue that should have been planned and executed back in the beta or even before the game went up on Steam when planning was being made around the game's original design. Here we are, two years after it went up on Steam, with some of the very same glaring problems and solutions offered over the years, not implemented. Lots of discussion; little to no action.

I have been reading multiple threads and posts regarding the issue with tamed capped servers. And I honestly don't see a solution, sure some sound like they might work but let me throw a couple things out there.
Example:
#1) aging dino's- I only see people going out and instead of getting 1 or 2 Thyla's now with the aging integrated into the game they'll just get those 2 Thyla's today, then probably 2 more tomorrow and 2 more by the end of the week and have quite a few more before the months up & every month thereafter... why? because they are going to age now, so we gotta keep the breeders "stocked" up & ready + pumping out more babies.

#2) storage barns- on another game I play they have this but it's still limited I can only have 100 animals (some have 1,000) but had to buy a ranch, buy the barns and few extra bonus slots for a club bonus. And you can only have 1 of your animals out at a time. I also had to buy a sub to even be able to do any of this. Play is still possible without a sub but non-subs are limited to 6 animal slots & cannot buy/sell with other players.
So Ark would have to start offering/selling subs & get A LOT more servers and then you'll probably still be limited with the amount of dinos you have.

I would also like to add to the aging dino's example, the same game I play that I referenced above also have a "lifecycle" version that I play too. I had 100 slots on that game as well (sub, ranch, barns, club and all that again) and kept my stock/slots up to 100 all the time, there were no fluctuations not that I intentionally did this but I didn't want to lose my bloodlines, colors and breeds. The only way it got down below 100 was when I quit playing at times.

I know I'll probably get roasted for this...

But the only solution I see to the tamed capped servers is turning them all to PVP.

Now flame away :ph34r:

On XBOX Rag 122, the server cap had been active for a few weeks. Occasionally I was able to breed/tame something. The server started dying and it was struggling to hit 30 people at peak times even on 2x events. Everything started dying down, server was stable and the part time players mega buildings were gradually getting demolished.

Then as soon as the last event hit 4x, the server was showing 79/70 (I know!) players connected and dino cap had hit again in the space of an hour.

I had literally nothing to do other than to farm resources and stock up on cave running gear. Trying to travel the map or do anything productive at player cap is a massive gamble because of the constant lag and crashes.

Whats the point of doing these events if they stop the game from functioning properly? I would rather have a stable game at normal rates and no more events than what we have now.

8 hours ago, MudPuppy said:

I have been reading multiple threads and posts regarding the issue with tamed capped servers. And I honestly don't see a solution, sure some sound like they might work but let me throw a couple things out there.
Example:
#1) aging dino's- I only see people going out and instead of getting 1 or 2 Thyla's now with the aging integrated into the game they'll just get those 2 Thyla's today, then probably 2 more tomorrow and 2 more by the end of the week and have quite a few more before the months up & every month thereafter... why? because they are going to age now, so we gotta keep the breeders "stocked" up & ready + pumping out more babies.

#2) storage barns- on another game I play they have this but it's still limited I can only have 100 animals (some have 1,000) but had to buy a ranch, buy the barns and few extra bonus slots for a club bonus. And you can only have 1 of your animals out at a time. I also had to buy a sub to even be able to do any of this. Play is still possible without a sub but non-subs are limited to 6 animal slots & cannot buy/sell with other players.
So Ark would have to start offering/selling subs & get A LOT more servers and then you'll probably still be limited with the amount of dinos you have.

I would also like to add to the aging dino's example, the same game I play that I referenced above also have a "lifecycle" version that I play too. I had 100 slots on that game as well (sub, ranch, barns, club and all that again) and kept my stock/slots up to 100 all the time, there were no fluctuations not that I intentionally did this but I didn't want to lose my bloodlines, colors and breeds. The only way it got down below 100 was when I quit playing at times.

I know I'll probably get roasted for this...

But the only solution I see to the tamed capped servers is turning them all to PVP.

Some good points.   Turning the servers PVP isn't the only solution.   Providing enough servers for the player base is also a (very good) solution.  It's just that with the more servers idea there are more constraints. Namely money.  What I'm trying to say is that there are potentially many solutions but they each come with constraints. Its important not to rule out ideas just because there is constraint on it. Instead we should explore the ideas :D

So with that in mind and referring to the aging dino idea:   Perhaps WC could implement a 'Longevity Cake' Recipe.  Something like a mid level / mid difficulty recipe you can feed your Dino's to stop them aging.  You the player have already eaten one, which is why you don't age yourself.   You can only ever have 10 (or 20 or whatever) Dino's who don't age. These are you keepers.  All other Dinos will age and die. 

Hopefully this would promote a mindset of Keepers and Disposables.  Making you breed upto a Keeper and then moving onto a different line.  If the time it takes a dino to age and die was very short ,like twice the time it takes to hatch and raise, then people wouldn't physically have time to raise dinos AND tame a slew of fresh stock.   We would be forced to raise a dino for breeding only, and then let it die after its offspring are ready. Until we get one that's a 'Keeper'.

Just an idea but as someone else said earlier, it's worth exploring this (as it's probably one of the cheaper and less offensive solutions)

40 minutes ago, Atomix said:

Some good points.   Turning the servers PVP isn't the only solution.   Providing enough servers for the player base is also a (very good) solution.  It's just that with the more servers idea there are more constraints. Namely money.  What I'm trying to say is that there are potentially many solutions but they each come with constraints. Its important not to rule out ideas just because there is constraint on it. Instead we should explore the ideas :D

So with that in mind and referring to the aging dino idea:   Perhaps WC could implement a 'Longevity Cake' Recipe.  Something like a mid level / mid difficulty recipe you can feed your Dino's to stop them aging.  You the player have already eaten one, which is why you don't age yourself.   You can only ever have 10 (or 20 or whatever) Dino's who don't age. These are you keepers.  All other Dinos will age and die. 

Hopefully this would promote a mindset of Keepers and Disposables.  Making you breed upto a Keeper and then moving onto a different line.  If the time it takes a dino to age and die was very short ,like twice the time it takes to hatch and raise, then people wouldn't physically have time to raise dinos AND tame a slew of fresh stock.   We would be forced to raise a dino for breeding only, and then let it die after its offspring are ready. Until we get one that's a 'Keeper'.

Just an idea but as someone else said earlier, it's worth exploring this (as it's probably one of the cheaper and less offensive solutions)

That sounds like a horrible idea and makes the game even more of a time-sink/grind then it already is.
Just promotes more no-life play then current official configuration does.
As soon as you need extended off-line time for vacation or RL issues you're pretty much raptored since all your dino's will end up dead.

Personal dino cap at 70 for everyone.. every map. Got 5 people in your tribe? Congrats you get 350 spots! 

Rework kibble where every egg makes the same kibble and it's just a general recipe something like 

kibble:  1x gigantosaurus egg (or) 9x dodo eggs etc. , prime meat jerky, 2x meat jerky, 4x mejoberries, 4x fiber

dino DNA storage and combination device: This device will allow your tribe to store and combine DNA from any dinosaur your tribe owns. The manufactured result is an egg or mammal grown in an enclosed chamber, up to 5 at a time, simulating egg production or a mammal birth. (Host animal will be destroyed on DNA upload) This device is protected with extra shielding and may be moved.

remove kibble imprints, replace with anything.

Caps Fixed. Permenantly 

You know, I've been reading this and my head ache returned from the weekend 8x spree...it was horrible.  First off, I love the game.  I hate the lag, the cap, and cantaloupe.  I believe there isn't a simple solution because of server transfers.  I know of people who have tribe tames maxed out on 2 or more servers.  They are using other servers as a locker or storage for their dinos. 

Yes, I can feel the hate coming, but how about we go back to before dino transfers.  If you wanted to take a look at another server, fine transfer naked.  Or failing that, set an account limit of say 200 and not a tribe limit.  And yes, I know that people have 2, 5, 10, 20 accounts, but I don't have a better solution.  I did like the Dino Aging idea that Tolem suggested back on pg1.  Have a death date hard coded in to something like 2 to 3 months.  That would mean that no dodo could be around forever dropping eggs.  It would make us have to either tame, breed or die.

I've heard theories as to why everything is not working as it should.  I don't know.  I hope that they have a solution soon.  Before I find some other pass time.

Graytalon,

Lowly Gamer, since 1999, the Realm

Archived