Chalicotheriums. Worth It?

LilNastyGurl

I was planning on taming one, but then had to think about it, since its a lot of resources and time to get one.

1) Passive Tame. oh lord.

2) Needs a Beer. Which means, I need a Beer Keg. Gotta wait for all that beer to brew.

It almost seems as bad as a Manta tame.

What are your guys thoughts on the Chalico? Worth the time? Neat base decoration? Can't live without it?

They're much easier to tame than Mantas though. Build a small pen, drop it there, sneak up in Ghillie and block it with walls. Feed with beer through wall.

If you go for one, get a 150 or breed one. Then they're quite tanky and do a big amount of damage. They can be useful since they're one of few land dinos with ranged attack which deal damage. You coul say they're mini Rock Elementals.

• Volunteer Moderator

If you can get them into a pen, they are not too hard to tame.  You just need to track the time between the 2nd and 3rd feeding, then you don't need to follow it constantly.

As for use, depends on what you already have.   They can be a very useful mount, though i prefer the Thyla over the Chalico.

They're pretty fun to have, I wouldn't call them an essential tame, but being fairly fast, easy to handle and reasonably tanky combined with the rock chucking makes them worthwhile to have around. Could always stick them in turret mode and have them throw boulders at any unwanted guests if nothing else. Plus the sitting down ability is both cute and helps them heal quicker. Tame wise they're easy enough if you get them into a pen and wear Ghillie.

2 hours ago, LilNastyGurl said:

I was planning on taming one, but then had to think about it, since its a lot of resources and time to get one.

1) Passive Tame. oh lord.

2) Needs a Beer. Which means, I need a Beer Keg. Gotta wait for all that beer to brew.

It almost seems as bad as a Manta tame.

What are your guys thoughts on the Chalico? Worth the time? Neat base decoration? Can't live without it?

def worth it. Rock does insane dmg-i use it to clear eels hanging around my base. Also a unique dino for your base. Plus, the fact that you can NEVER find a high level chalico (at least on my server) basically requires you to tame the highest level you find.

Beer isnt that hard-just gather tons of berries and wait-and it doesnt spoil.

They're good for base defense since their boulder does a lot of damage, and they can heal very rapidly when sitting down. Getting the resources is to tame them is pretty low maintenance, just toss everything in a beer barrel and wait. I crafted two barrels (more than you probably need) and had the stuff pretty quickly. The tame itself is probably most comparable to a Dung Beetle. I've managed it without Ghillie, but you do need to be pretty quick about it and pay attention to where its going. With Ghillie, piece of cake. They're also excellent berry harvesters

I love mine. I build a taming pin I lure them into. Once I get them inside I snap ceiling and hatch frame tile over 1/2 of the pen. Leave rendering distance to clear agro, come back and crawl on the ceiling tiles and tame till they are done. I have yet to get agro by being above them.

I tame a handful over lvl 135 and bred them. Got one to 100% imprint and he's a beast. They gather thatch very effectively and are fun mounts. Not too fast but stamina last quite a while and you got to love the devastating ranged attack :)

They are definately strong for what they are, but not really essential imo and possibly obsolete as their ranged attack isn't really that far of a throw.. I would like to see them changed slightly tho.., give them the ability to load/make boulders so that they may be used for seiging and if they are not equipped with a boulder,  then they should throw a less damaging mud that slows.. I think they need a better niche..

56 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Everyone says boulder.. but its poop it throws

So it reaches into the ground and grabs a giant lump of crap? I think not....

It's an awesome tame! 

1: drinking buddy

2: great listener 

3: sits when you tell it to

4: ranged attack

5: when you ride in first person you can see it's cute lil ears move around all adorbs like

6: their colours are great

7: waiting for the beer to be made is tedious but also easy 

22 hours ago, psychosaurus409 said:

the way i look at it the beer is easier to come by than kibble an engram and some thratch+berries in few days youll have enough to tame a 150 with one barrel and the jar cost would only be 74 crystal compared to waiting... days maybe even weeks for any given dinosaur to lay 30-80 eggs for kibble

When you put it that way, yeah it is way cheaper than kibble-taming

theyre one of the strongest tameable creatures in the game and along with arthropleura are one of the only mountable creatures in game that can use ranged attacks. theyre well worth the hassle of course maybe im a bit biased since my favorite creature i have tamed is my red and cream colored chalicotherium Brick who goes through basically anything on the island short of a boss or a wild giga like tissue paper vs a blowtorch.

Archived