Build limit cap for official ASA

Legitarkplayer23

As someone who was worried about ugly megabox bases and land grabbing I am thrilled with this change. The limit being a 1/3 of what it was on ASE is pretty genius and I hope it stays this way. I know you could still technically get around this with alliances but still, it's a step in the right direction.

Public Official PVE Servers should be for people who actually want a sense of community with strangers and for those of us that don't feel the need to take up 10% of the entire map for our one base.

Edited by Legitarkplayer23
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

So what is the new build cap limit?

One downside is that the build cap limit has always been a bit too confusing for your average joe. It is not a total number of structures in a tribe, but a number of structures in a radius around where you are placing a structure. Technically this can lead to having never exceeded the limit, but then when you go to replace a piece, you hit the build cap limit.

We are soon going to see people complaining and asking what is wrong. Stuff like why can't I replace a piece of my base that was destroyed.

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

So what is the new build cap limit?

One downside is that the build cap limit has always been a bit too confusing for your average joe. It is not a total number of structures in a tribe, but a number of structures in a radius around where you are placing a structure. Technically this can lead to having never exceeded the limit, but then when you go to replace a piece, you hit the build cap limit.

We are soon going to see people complaining and asking what is wrong. Stuff like why can't I replace a piece of my base that was destroyed.

It was like 15750 and now it's 5500.

1 hour ago, Legitarkplayer23 said:

As someone who was worried about ugly megabox bases and land grabbing I am thrilled with this change. The limit being a 1/3 of what it was on ASE is pretty genius and I hope it stays this way. I know you could still technically get around this with alliances but still, it's a step in the right direction.

Public Official PVE Servers should be for people who actually want a sense of community with strangers and for those of us that don't feel the need to take up 10% of the entire map for our one base.

Based on what it seems like you are saying this does not accomplish the thing you are venting about. By setting such a ridiculous build limit that will make players build out and take up more land not less. The limit was in a certain radius so if instead you build multiple buildings and space them out you will not hit that limit. Unless the mechanic has drastically changed to a total building pieces which it never was then this makes it worse not better. 

Big dinos require big buildings especially when breeding them. This seems like more of a move try to get the 70 players on a server to work which is not likely. 

34 minutes ago, Cinnamongod said:

Based on what it seems like you are saying this does not accomplish the thing you are venting about. By setting such a ridiculous build limit that will make players build out and take up more land not less. The limit was in a certain radius so if instead you build multiple buildings and space them out you will not hit that limit. Unless the mechanic has drastically changed to a total building pieces which it never was then this makes it worse not better. 

Big dinos require big buildings especially when breeding them. This seems like more of a move try to get the 70 players on a server to work which is not likely. 

That's a fair assement but you have to have to remember there aren't cryopods yet (or ever hopefully) so people are discouraged from branching out widely once settled. It's like cameras in convenience stores, they don't stop all crime but it helps.

Personally, even if this only keeps a fraction of megabox base idiots from playing on official when they clearly don't want neighbors, full support from me.

i know at least the official servers i have already seen so many pillar spamers and those taking swath of land that makes my group of friend kinda just want to always stick to rental servers. Cause it starts to bog stuff down and new folks to server have hard time finding places to play and build a base.  So while we are wanting to play on official servers thought that with Asa there would be systems in place to prevent the land grab and such that would be better than it was on Ase. But it seems to be still as rampart as before. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lordzetal said:

i know at least the official servers i have already seen so many pillar spamers and those taking swath of land that makes my group of friend kinda just want to always stick to rental servers. Cause it starts to bog stuff down and new folks to server have hard time finding places to play and build a base.  So while we are wanting to play on official servers thought that with Asa there would be systems in place to prevent the land grab and such that would be better than it was on Ase. But it seems to be still as rampart as before. 

There are no changes in ASA for land claiming from how it worked in ASE. You still have the same players that spam pillars too. So nothing changed there. I don't expect them to ever solve this without major changes to the game, so like maybe in a different game altogether. ASA is really just an improved version of ASE, not a whole different game. There are many games where you can't even build a base. Those games will not have this problem and that is certainly one way to solve it.

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing official servers about 6 months after the Scorched Earth DLC was released. The griefers there that used rock golems to destroy your base was the last straw for me. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Legitarkplayer23 said:

As someone who was worried about ugly megabox bases and land grabbing I am thrilled with this change.

Reducing the limit will make bases more ugly, not less. People will stop using extra pieces that make their buildings more aesthetic and will settle for building a basic box, because thet's the most efficient way to make a building.

I'm not suggesting that you should prefer a larger build limit, you're certainly entitled to prefer a smaller limit if that's what you want, but there's no logic to arguing that a lower build limit will reduce ugly bases, it will only cause more of them.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Legitarkplayer23 said:

That's a fair assement but you have to have to remember there aren't cryopods yet (or ever hopefully)

There absolutely will be cryopods, there's no question at all about whether WC will re-introduce cryopods later. If you're hoping cryopods never come back then start preparing yourself now for disappointment, it's going to happen.

so people are discouraged from branching out widely once settled. It's like cameras in convenience stores, they don't stop all crime but it helps.

Just the opposite. Instead of making one big building they'll make multiple smaller buildings spread out over a larger area. Instead of pillar spam there will be building spam. People will just make each building have a specific purpose - kitchen building, breeding building, crafting bulding, etc. Now instead of one large buildings with a bunch of pillars there will be multiple buildings that will make it even harder to travel through the map than pillaring does. It's a whole lot easier to walk through a bunch of pillars than through a piece of land with multiple buildings on it.

And the more buildings they have to build the less interested they'll be in aesthetics. The main building might be built to look nice, but the kitchen building will be a box, the breeding building will be a box, etc.

If there's one thing this change will do, it will force people to 'brance out widely' in a way that they didn't in ASE.

Personally, even if this only keeps a fraction of megabox base idiots from playing on official when they clearly don't want neighbors, full support from me.

It won't, it will just change what you complain about. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you find yourself wishing for larger build limits.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:57 PM, Cinnamongod said:

This is straight facts. I'm tying to build a compact and detailed base. Especially including the new smaller quarter structures. However, 5500 is so low that I cannot build more than the external shell of the base.

However, if I was to just build a large box with large walls and super high ceilings it would mean that I would be able to have a bigger, uglier and more obstructive base.

I do really hope that the limit is increased soon because I am currently at the cap with less than half a functional base.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2023 at 1:10 PM, Coomren said:

This is straight facts. I'm tying to build a compact and detailed base. Especially including the new smaller quarter structures. However, 5500 is so low that I cannot build more than the external shell of the base.

However, if I was to just build a large box with large walls and super high ceilings it would mean that I would be able to have a bigger, uglier and more obstructive base.

I do really hope that the limit is increased soon because I am currently at the cap with less than half a functional base.

5500 is not low at all. Unless you are building a 50x50 mega base then 5500 is more than enough to put as much detail as you could ever want in you build 

On 11/11/2023 at 7:10 PM, Coomren said:

5500 is so low that I cannot build more than the external shell of the base

On 11/8/2023 at 10:25 PM, Legitarkplayer23 said:

The limit being a 1/3 of what it was on ASE

On 11/8/2023 at 10:46 PM, Legitarkplayer23 said:

It was like 15750 and now it's 5500.

5500 it's the same limit as ASE, it hasn't changed.. (vanilla)

On 11/12/2023 at 5:04 PM, IGacha said:

5500 is not low at all. Unless you are building a 50x50 mega base then 5500 is more than enough to put as much detail as you could ever want in you build 

there are parts of the map were you can't palce more structure, even if you have 20 you have the "LIMIT"

they need fix the limit structures

On 11/9/2023 at 12:30 PM, wildbill said:

There are no changes in ASA for land claiming from how it worked in ASE. You still have the same players that spam pillars too. So nothing changed there. I don't expect them to ever solve this without major changes to the game, so like maybe in a different game altogether. ASA is really just an improved version of ASE, not a whole different game. There are many games where you can't even build a base. Those games will not have this problem and that is certainly one way to solve it.

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing official servers about 6 months after the Scorched Earth DLC was released. The griefers there that used rock golems to destroy your base was the last straw for me. 

The issue right now is more that the servers crash every couple hours, so all pillar spam from day one keeps resetting on timers.  This is leading to the map filling w/ pillars from players who leave and then the pillars never leave. 

Its a little different, but maybe temporary.

9 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

I don’t know what ASE finished at ,  but it was 15750 for a very long time up until I stopped playing last year.

So I hypothesize that there are differences between the types of Server, I was in Official Legacy Pve and I can assure 100% that for me it was 5500. If I remember correctly we had a conversation here with a guy who couldn't build in the center of the own base and perhaps I had said the same things that time too because shortly before I had had to remodel my base precisely because of that limitation (and it wasn't the first time), now I'm trying to get back to the topic. Ideal de Joe or Invincible could confirm if there are differences between Server types.

On 11/18/2023 at 2:42 AM, CervantesMor said:

So I hypothesize that there are differences between the types of Server, I was in Official Legacy Pve and I can assure 100% that for me it was 5500. If I remember correctly we had a conversation here with a guy who couldn't build in the center of the own base and perhaps I had said the same things that time too because shortly before I had had to remodel my base precisely because of that limitation (and it wasn't the first time), now I'm trying to get back to the topic. Ideal de Joe or Invincible could confirm if there are differences between Server types.

I actually have proof that the cap was 15750 for the longest time going back about 5 years.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 11/17/2023 at 11:42 AM, CervantesMor said:

Ideal de Joe or Invincible could confirm if there are differences between Server types.

ASE on consoles had a limit of 5500, while PC had a limit of 15750. ASA brought PC in-line with consoles, likely due to cross-play support.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 10:25 PM, Legitarkplayer23 said:

Seriously man you have clearly no idea what are you talking about and I guess you have never really played Ark by yourself, just getting everything from other players.

Firstly 50x50 "megabox" is a ridiculously small base if you want to breed anything bigger than dodo. Of course for someone like you, who never ever breed anything and just used dinos breeded by other players, it could seem "huge" but someone who raised some gigas perfectly knows that 50x50 can barely fit a couple of them, not even talking about proper breeding farm.

Secondly without cryopods you are simply forced to build much bigger base than is ASE. And, because of ridiculously low structure limit, most of those bases will be just boxes of 20x20 behemot gates cause you are unable to build aesthetic base at the moment. Thus in result usual base of one tribe will be 5-10 times larger when it comes to claimed space than in ASE.

And thirdly - 15750 structure limit was always really low if you wanted to build aesthetic and compact base in which you would be able to breed something. Thus why most of the breeding bases were always ugly boxes. With 5500 structure limit you are unable to build anything compact (not even talking about aesthetic) anymore...

Lowering the structure limit is one of the most stupid ideas in ASA.

I haven't hit the limit yet. My base is 4 walls high and spread across a massive area therefore, contrary to some views in here, the structure limit has failed in stopping land grabbing. I usually build high and would therefore take up a much smaller amount of land but seeing as building high means I hit the structure limit, I'll circumvent and build wide. Next bright idea WC.