Spinosaur Sail Farm

What's a good way for a solo player to efficiently get Spinosaurus Sails on The Island without transports?

I play on a player-dedicated server that I only open for a few hours a day (My singular tribemate is the only other player besides myself who's in the server [I say solo at the top because he's not very skilled and I therefore do most stuff without him])

(I am familiar with both Dododex and the ARK Official Community Wiki, have watched a few videos, and read as much as I could find)

Edited by GarlicWindow

32 minutes ago, GarlicWindow said:

What's a good way to get Spino Sails efficiently? I've tried a few techniques I've seen people suggest already, but they didn't work.

Have something that is good at combat and go farm the spino spawn areas. If you tame a high level (Lvl 130-150) and then you focus all of your XP levels into combat, you should be able to kill wild spinos quickly and efficiently. Personally, my favorite spino killer is another spino.

Also, if you can take your figher to Aberration the rivers are just packed full of spinos. You can run up and down the rivers killing spinos endlessly.

2 hours ago, CatInFire said:

AFAIK you cant transfer Apex items on official servers. 

Also @invincibleqcThanks for the reality check, I forgot that you can't transfer those from other servers.

So... @GarlicWindowYou might find it worth getting set up with a small base so you can find & tame a good spino on Aberration itself. Obviously it's extra work up front, but that is by far the greatest concentration of spino's to farm. Other than that, it's what you said, find them at spawn points on whatever map you're on.

Edited by Pipinghot

• GarlicWindow changed the title to Spinosaur Sail Farm
7 hours ago, GarlicWindow said:

So what I'm hearing is basically take a spino, run in circles around the spawn area, and kill things. Will this take hours...?

THey share spawn points with fish and have a 5% chance of spawning in place of a fish.  Its just the law of numbers.  Erase all the fish, and increase your chances of getting that 5%.   

On public servers where everyone starts building on the beaches and waterways, this gets to be problematic.  

A spino moves faster running in shallow water , add imprint bonus speed and you have a bullet train that can obliterate all the fish in an area in no time.  You just figure out the areas where you see spinos along a river path.  If we are talking on The Island, there's about 3 areas I see them all the time.  The rivers SW of green obelisk, The river North side of redwoods.  Then there's a river north west of the volcano that they like to spawn at.  They can be in other areas, but on officials these tend to be the best locations.

Edited by GrumpyBear

1 hour ago, GrumpyBear said:

THey share spawn points with fish and have a 5% chance of spawning in place of a fish.  Its just the law of numbers.  Erase all the fish, and increase your chances of getting that 5%.   

On public servers where everyone starts building on the beaches and waterways, this gets to be problematic.

Sometimes,in my server just the spawn in the redwood have this problem,but talking with this players can resolve or just a report.Thats why use pillars,but noobs come here to cry.

15 hours ago, GarlicWindow said:

What's a good way for a solo player to efficiently get Spinosaurus Sails on The Island without transports?

(I am familiar with both Dododex and the ARK Official Community Wiki, have watched a few videos, and read as much as I could find)

I use an argy and fly up and down all rivers south of winter biome. Southern rivers seem to work best

3 hours ago, GarlicWindow said:

I've been killing all the fish and going to the entire area where they spawn, and no luck. I've gone around at least three times. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if the game's just glitching.

The areas circled in red are the areas I like to check. 

701083884_spinospawnareastheisland.png.a9def4536c72da3bea7788e6ea14690b.png

If you check and clear all the fish in these areas, never see a spino after 2 or 3 rounds.  I would do a dino wipe and see if that fixes it. 

I can't imagine you having this problem on official servers without lots of people complaining.  It sounds more like you are on single player.  This happens on single player.

10 hours ago, GarlicWindow said:

I've been killing all the fish and going to the entire area where they spawn, and no luck. I've gone around at least three times. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if the game's just glitching.

6 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

701083884_spinospawnareastheisland.png.a9def4536c72da3bea7788e6ea14690b.png

For GrumpyBear: yes, the OP play in SP, he wrote that in 1st post here.

GarlicW.: 

hello, try to kill as many fish in the ocean first.

In SinglePayer it often happens that the oceans are filled with Spawns because you tend to go to sea a few times and therefore the creatures accumulate reducing the number of generic Span's slots on the rest of the map. You can do a cleaning tour or use the "cheat destroyalldino" (<--- check the correct way to write the command on Wiki.gg) which allows you to eliminate ALL the animals on the map and then restore the spawns in the natural way.

PS: in the map shown by GrumpyBear I add two more useful points: the river west of the sequoia starts at the edge of the Swamp where there is a large bowl of water (where there are also the Beaver Dams) [I live there in my server], I often see Spinos here so start from here and follow the river NE past the spots highlighted by GrumpyBear until you meet the snow patch on your left, watch out for the Yutys there though.

Good hunting ;)

2 hours ago, GarlicWindow said:

I now have about fifteen dolphins killing fish in the ocean, and also personally went out and killed some fish myself. My tribemate managed to find a singular spino since I did this, so I think it's working? These spinos seem a bit unreasonably rare though...

Too true. Spinos are rare on The Island, which is why most people go to other maps to farm them.

Then again, what you're doing can be fun in its own way, if you want it to be. You're basically experiencing ARK like it was before all of the other maps were added.

• Volunteer Moderator
30 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Too true. Spinos are rare on The Island, which is why most people go to other maps to farm them.

Then again, what you're doing can be fun in its own way, if you want it to be. You're basically experiencing ARK like it was before all of the other maps were added.

Then Bobs would place bases where those things would rarely spawn and it's on. No other map to transfer to back in the day.

Edited by Joebl0w13

3 hours ago, GarlicWindow said:

I'm playing each map  without transfers because it feels more "real" to me. Transfers just kind of feel like cheating.

Well I guess you need the Sails of Spinos for the Boss (you also asked for Megalania) so the problem doesn't arise because the "Tributes" are not transferable and therefore if you have to be a Boss you are obliged to find them on the map itself.

PS: Actually it's not "cheating" because otherwise the transfers would be set with "limitations" such as being able to use them only after certain levels or only from/to specific maps, instead there are only other types of limitations on NON transportable items such as Element and Tributes, originally even the type of animal had to be compatible with the map you wanted to transfer it to before Cryopods were included in the game but Cryopods were not included in the "limitations", even if in fact a Mana or an Astrocetus on The Island....a sense of slight impropriety makes me too :D

15 hours ago, CervantesMor said:

PS: Actually it's not "cheating" because otherwise the transfers would be set with "limitations" such as being able to use them only after certain levels or only from/to specific maps, instead there are only other types of limitations on NON transportable items such as Element and Tributes, originally even the type of animal had to be compatible with the map you wanted to transfer it to before Cryopods were included in the game but Cryopods were not included in the "limitations", even if in fact a Mana or an Astrocetus on The Island....a sense of slight impropriety makes me too :D

I never said it was an actual form of cheating, just my personal preference.

Edited by GarlicWindow
  • Thanks 1