Dino Cap.. and the silence from WC

Super Fab

7 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Would be cool if there was a way to make it so that we could set a dinosaur to become bunkered down. The dinosaur would be required to not hold items, but the pay off is, it produces more eggs.

So this in technical terms would mean, a dinosaur that becomes a building, because it's not moving, but still uses up food, however with no inventory. This won't work with platform saddles. In fact, you could make it so that the requirement is to have no saddle equipped. This would cut down on the max dino limit problem, because any dinosaur that is bunkered down would effectively become no longer a vehicle entity, but rather a prop entity. This would shift it out of the dinosaur table, and into a different table all together. You would still need to hold all of the dinosaur's data in the new table, but that's a non-issue really.

This would give people the ability to expand out the limit. But then again, one could also abuse this system by making people pay for dinosaur slots. However, at least with the incentive to have egg farms produce more eggs by being bunkered down state, it may work out.

This is a weird and interesting idea.  I like it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2018 at 10:03 PM, Vaculity said:

Bad idea. I am not going to go into further detail, but this will really break PvP (and intentionally PvE as well.)

Or rather, they shifted their attention at the least wanted features, or DLC.

1st soz for the late reply but real life you know

yes it would break pvp but as this topic is about dino cap on pve it don't matter

but please go into further detail how it would break (break even more:D) pve servers

it would give each tribe member a few maps to store dinos which would lessen the amount of dinos kept on the official servers

but still allow trading to official servers 

8 hours ago, cattafett said:

yes it would break pvp but as this topic is about dino cap on pve it don't matter

but please go into further detail how it would break (break even more:D) pve servers

it would give each tribe member a few maps to store dinos which would lessen the amount of dinos kept on the official servers

Imagine if they were to add a timer limit like what they did with the Transmitter, and that many of the hoarder leaves their dino in the map to the point of server cap with no intention of using that so-called storage device you said, forcing your dino to remain inside.

Just make a Tek level dino storage device (large non moveable pokeball if you will)

Not only does this tek device allow you to upload dinos to it..... It is essentially a personal upload point to the global Ark market...So if the device is destroyed, you can still gain access to your dinos by building a new storage device. ---    Simply upload the dino, place a price on it (or mark as private so it is stored and not seen on the market)  Wait till it's sold and download the trade goods that the buyer uploaded. The buyer then downloads the dino.  Simple efficient method to shop and store dinos !  Add some easy to use search functions and boom, not only can you use it to trade dinos , but trade blueprints, resources, kibble, whatever.....

Now for those who don't have tek....  Just make the obelisks behave with the same functions as this tek storage device so that everyone can do it !

Question....    Should this be a thing, and what are the negative impacts of such a system on PvP / PvE  ?

Changing the core gameplay elements such as kibble rework or lifespan will drastically change the game. Taming takes quite a long time, gathering eggs takes quite a long time, breeding for the perfect dinoes takes even much longer time, everything needs process that needs a long time, and those combined creates a gameplay. Adding lifespan to dinoes would somehow cancel that or make it too complicated.

By guesstimating from body size and metabolism, the lifespan of a dino can be acquired, ranging from 10 to hundreds of years. Small dinoes probably can live for 10 years realtime, if 1 ingame day is 48 minutes realtime, that equals to more or less 121 days real time or 4 months. While bigger dinoes like sauropods can live from 40 to 100 years. T.Rex is said to have 30 years lifepan, so if that is applied to our ingame rex then a rex would have 1 year realtime of age before dying. The tame cap situation hit most servers in only 800 ingame days or 26 days realtime, cmiiw. Go figure.

PVE servers are prone to being capped in no time because this problem has surfaced, like rush money in a bank if there is an issue or even a rumor with the bank people will all rush withdrawing all money to the point that even a healthy bank will collapse, I've said that many times, the same with pve tame cap situation, the problem is widespread so all people will rush reserving tame slots even a heatlhy new and fresh server will be tame capped real fast.

27 minutes ago, Mendoza said:

Just make a Tek level dino storage device (large non moveable pokeball if you will)

Not only does this tek device allow you to upload dinos to it..... It is essentially a personal upload point to the global Ark market...So if the device is destroyed, you can still gain access to your dinos by building a new storage device. ---    Simply upload the dino, place a price on it (or mark as private so it is stored and not seen on the market)  Wait till it's sold and download the trade goods that the buyer uploaded. The buyer then downloads the dino.  Simple efficient method to shop and store dinos !  Add some easy to use search functions and boom, not only can you use it to trade dinos , but trade blueprints, resources, kibble, whatever.....

Now for those who don't have tek....  Just make the obelisks behave with the same functions as this tek storage device so that everyone can do it !

Question....    Should this be a thing, and what are the negative impacts of such a system on PvP / PvE  ?

The storage should be made more available even to newbs or for people that play solo and can never beat bosses or never will try, it has to be available to all and not too limiting to make it effective. 

The trading system should be implemented so people can make transaction much much easier, especially cross-ark, that would promote ingame dino transaction and save many tame slots because we can just buy the dino parents and not starting our own breeding line by taming lots and lots of wild dinoes that will use many tame slots.

Offline raid protection needs to be removed. While it's not the entire answer it is a start. Tribes build less than secure bbases and park 350 dinos outside on passive. They are untouchable. 

Although it may never happen, I also like the idea of turning PvP on when the server hits cap. My suggestion would be PvP is only turned on for tribes that have over a certain number of dinos. So lets say 200 - that prevents Human level 10 from from being wiped out by the mega tribe with their army of rainbow gigas but it would break the cap. 

Other options: 

Crack down on alt tribes and "alliances" that house alt tribes. 

Open more servers (or upgrade your quality)  and allow some sort of community funding if it's a financial issue. No, not like p2w buying crate keys for yourself but server wide boosters perhaps that benefit everyone. 2x resource harvesting, $5 for 8 hours. It can be done..

Remove the kibble system. 

Lay off the mutations. Eek I know, I love my colors but perhaps a few less would prevent widespread hoarding. 

Add diseases. Make a cure readily available, but to know your dino is sick you have to open it's inventory. Most people with max dinos never touch them. This would require people to cut back or interact to keep them alive. 

Change the decay timer to 3 or 5 days but add a command that can be used twice a year for tribe vacation that gives you two weeks of stasis assuming you don't log in. This would stop the people who log in for 20 minutes to feed every Saturday morning and aren't seen again. 

Create a stat decay that would say a dino loses 10% of a vital stat each month after 6 months. Capnit after 6 months of decay. It won't ever kill the dino but makes it harder to maintain, because of lower food or health. 

Increase food consumption. Got to feed them more if you want them to live.

Allow people to pay to host servers on the official network...bound by the same rules as other official servers and managed by Wildcard so no corrupt admins. If the original host backs out and stops paying, the server gets a 60 day "grace period" where another host can step in or the server gets deleted. It would remove some of the uncertainty of unofficial (the reason I won't play) and allow the benefits of the official network. I would personally have no problem paying to do this for a game I enjoy.

That's all I got for now. There are solutions available but the devs have to be willing to do something vs nothing. While I understand and respect the desire not to piss off the existing playerbase, capped servers cost them a lot of new players. People will only server hop looking for somewhere they can play for so long before they give up. 

7 minutes ago, IrishAlexis said:

Remove the kibble system. 

This really isn't a major source for tame cap. I think adding an herbivore prime/mutton equivalent would be helpful. And reworking the flow of the kibble tree. But kibble allows for game progression.

9 minutes ago, IrishAlexis said:

Lay off the mutations. Eek I know, I love my colors but perhaps a few less would prevent widespread hoarding. 

If mutations were more rare, there would probably be even more breeding and hoarding.

WC could introduce a set of PvE servers with no breeding.

10 minutes ago, IrishAlexis said:

Add diseases. Make a cure readily available, but to know your dino is sick you have to open it's inventory. Most people with max dinos never touch them. This would require people to cut back or interact to keep them alive. 

I had a similar idea with making bored dino insane. Something not too grindy to force regular interaction with the dinos. Plus I think the kibble dinos should be turned into structures (like the new S+ vivarium, but not locked behind tek)

Something needs to be done about the rafts and platform saddles too. Maybe make it so a tribe can only have a specific amount of each or something. There are tribes on my island server that have rafts scattered around the map so they can free up tame slots when they want to hatch something. Another tribe has a water pen filled with low level plesi wearing a platform saddles with 2 foundations on them. 

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, auntflo1 said:

Something needs to be done about the rafts and platform saddles too. Maybe make it so a tribe can only have a specific amount of each or something. There are tribes on my island server that have rafts scattered around the map so they can free up tame slots when they want to hatch something. Another tribe has a water pen filled with low level plesi wearing a platform saddles with 2 foundations on them. 

The platform saddles with built structures on them only count toward tribe limit, not server. That being said, spamming rafts or tames to purposely cap the servers is against the Code of Conduct. Fill an Incident Report if you are playing on Steam or a Support Ticket if you are playing on console/windows 10 providing all the information you have (tribe name, coordinates, etc.) so the Enforcement Team/Game Masters can investigate and take actions if necessary. Good luck!

On 8/17/2018 at 5:02 AM, Vaculity said:

Imagine if they were to add a timer limit like what they did with the Transmitter, and that many of the hoarder leaves their dino in the map to the point of server cap with no intention of using that so-called storage device you said, forcing your dino to remain inside.

there is a timer for uploading dinos and many of the hoarder leaves their dino in the map to the point of server cap, whats your point?

the so called device is a single player map set to the same settings as official servers, it wouldn't matter if every official server was dino capped as you would be able to play on your single player map but still be able to transfer to other official servers and official single player maps

it would also enable those with real lives to play at times when its more suitable for them as single player maps stops when you're not there, yes it may take 6 months real time to raise a giga but you'd get the 100% imprint

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, DonaldDuck said:

The storage should be made more available even to newbs or for people that play solo and can never beat bosses or never will try, it has to be available to all and not too limiting to make it effective. 

The trading system should be implemented so people can make transaction much much easier, especially cross-ark, that would promote ingame dino transaction and save many tame slots because we can just buy the dino parents and not starting our own breeding line by taming lots and lots of wild dinoes that will use many tame slots.

That's why I stated that the obelisks can act as the equivalent to the tek version, so that everybody, even the noobs can access it...     The only difference between the two is the tek version can be placed inside your base. 

14 hours ago, cattafett said:

there is a timer for uploading dinos and many of the hoarder leaves their dino in the map to the point of server cap, whats your point?

the so called device is a single player map set to the same settings as official servers, it wouldn't matter if every official server was dino capped as you would be able to play on your single player map but still be able to transfer to other official servers and official single player maps

it would also enable those with real lives to play at times when its more suitable for them as single player maps stops when you're not there, yes it may take 6 months real time to raise a giga but you'd get the 100% imprint

They expect you to play within the given cluster. Where PvP is concerned, PvE is also affected in their book, meaning any changes made to PvE has to affect PvP for their book, since thats how their system changes goes, which means it will become a cryfest for PvP, since people can literally just raise babies there, then send it to PvP to "wreck" their opponent, assuming by your post you meant "only PvE", which will never be the case for WildCard. (Look at PlantZ for example. It was a quick healer before it get severely nerfed just to balance PvP, but also affected PvE greatly since there isn't such thing as separate system)

Yes, we all have real life to concern about, but there are no lifers out there who want to ruin those with live's fun.

Honest why is there a taming cap on a pve server they should just do away with it and lot people enjoy breeding and taming dino to make lovely mutactaion and real good boes fight dinos. Like when you start taming a giga and there no cap and like you alomst ready to put food on it to tame it when cap hit and stop you is bullpoop as you just waste reasource and time on a dino for notthing and must lost a dino if giga wakes up before you can get out

On 8/14/2018 at 2:10 AM, Ranger1 said:

I personally have pretty much resigned myself to the concept that while it might be possible to create a situation where the tame cap on official PVE servers would realistically (and in the long term) no longer be an issue, to get to that point would involve extreme changes to how keeping tames in general works in a PVE environment.  Changes that very few people would be happy with.

Perhaps if from the start things like tames having a definite lifespan, or the general threat level for even base bound tames raised significantly, it wouldn't be a big deal.  But that's not the case.  Currently everyone feels that their PVE tames should be immortal and never at risk, and that those immortal creatures should be able to breed without restriction throughout infinity.  Ask anyone who has ever raised guppies why unrestrained breeding is a horrible idea, and why it would be a nightmare beyond imagining if the damn things were immortal to boot.

Obviously, that's not sustainable... but devising common sense ways to decrease the surplus PVE tames would now meet tremendous hostility.  Which is somewhat amusing when you consider that in a game like Jurassic World Evolution dinosaur lifespan is an important game play consideration, but in this infinitely more imaginative game it seems to have no place.  Likewise our tames never fight despite some being formerly predator and prey, nor do they ever attempt escape.  These are things I would welcome, but most folks would rage quit if if they were implemented now.

The best reason not to introduce some sort of decay on life of dinos is BOSS fights, that is there near death experience.  

Game would go beyond a retarded grind (which with no taming is another manufactured grind.) 

2. Its a game not reality, and a game that i might add you spend countless hours of life to get anywhere with.

3600hours and have yet to enter any caves, go into the ocean, do any boss fights, lmao add this decay and it will never happen, not to mention to constant resetting of things like the dinos themselves, of look high level dinos, uh oh, here come the tek dinoes time to throw all the work you just did out and start over for the 3rd time, 1st was oh look these servers are legacy now, get off start again, oh high level dinoes, go getem tiger!, oh the level changed, do it again, oh tek dinos now, uh oh look do it again.

^So like i said a manufactured grind create by yours truly W.C. thank for playing and keep on surviving, survivors..

Does this sound like a bitter player, yes, yes it does cause i can do a lot solo and i am being restrained from doing anything especially now with this cap.  How do we know its a somewhat fake cap, times of play, if you get on at the morning change it to the night and see if you get far then.

Now the excuse is to get more money, maybe there will be an ark 2 where we get it right the 1st time again survivors!  Please believe me.

On 8/19/2018 at 7:01 AM, Sonrun said:

Honest why is there a taming cap on a pve server they should just do away with it and lot people enjoy breeding and taming dino to make lovely mutactaion and real good boes fight dinos. Like when you start taming a giga and there no cap and like you alomst ready to put food on it to tame it when cap hit and stop you is bullpoop as you just waste reasource and time on a dino for notthing and must lost a dino if giga wakes up before you can get out

And what happens to the servers when too many server resources are being used and the servers become essentially unplayable?

Tame cap is necessary for server health. Your server cannot use more RAM than is avaliable. 

On 8/19/2018 at 1:34 AM, Vaculity said:

They expect you to play within the given cluster. Where PvP is concerned, PvE is also affected in their book, meaning any changes made to PvE has to affect PvP for their book, since thats how their system changes goes, which means it will become a cryfest for PvP, since people can literally just raise babies there, then send it to PvP to "wreck" their opponent, assuming by your post you meant "only PvE", which will never be the case for WildCard. (Look at PlantZ for example. It was a quick healer before it get severely nerfed just to balance PvP, but also affected PvE greatly since there isn't such thing as separate system)

Yes, we all have real life to concern about, but there are no lifers out there who want to ruin those with live's fun.

while one may affect the other they are not linked at the hip,  only pve has no building in caves or no picking up wild dinos

given that you can't transfer between pve & pvp why would you think they would allow you to transfer between pvp and a single player map set to store dinos to solve a pve problem that doesn't affect pvp

On 8/17/2018 at 3:53 AM, cattafett said:

^ So then unless I am mistaken, care to elaborate? You mentioned "here's an idea, single player storage" and "the single player storage game/server/don't know what to call it would have to be set the same as official servers with admin commands turned off (maybe let us carry wild dinos) ". And now you are contradicting yourself that "why would you think they would allow you to transfer between pvp and a single player map", because given how ARK works, thats not how it will work.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:31 AM, DJRone89 said:

Stop hoarding dinos. Problem fixed. 

That made me think of an Idea,this is just general direction thing:

Make some kind of an Egg Farm device.

Basiclly The device will suck the dino in,which removes it from the servers dino count of tamed dinos,

Inside said device will be a console where you could managed the dinos inside: Like health and food level,stored eggs etc.(dinos will die if not fed etc)

You could enter feed like in trought to it and it will produce eggs according to dinos inserted with regular intervals like the dinos hatch normally.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:13 PM, Vaculity said:

thats not how it will work.

don't get me wrong when it comes to WC i'm a glass half empty kinda guy but why won't(can't) it work that way?

you can't transfer between pve and pvp, single player is inherently pve

and an official single playerTM  mode would solve many of the pve problems (other people) yet still allow transfering between other official pve servers 

why does it underline pve & pvp?

3 hours ago, cattafett said:

don't get me wrong when it comes to WC i'm a glass half empty kinda guy but why won't(can't) it work that way?

you can't transfer between pve and pvp, single player is inherently pve

and an official single playerTM  mode would solve many of the pve problems (other people) yet still allow transfering between other official pve servers 

why does it underline pve & pvp?

Let's put "PvP" out of the way first.

There are multiple clusters within Official Servers. Other than PVP, we have the PC PvE and Cross, and then theres the potential temporary server that are PvE. And then theres the Xbox PvE and Cross, and then PS4 PvE, and then potentially Mobile PvE. And not to forget, Legacy PvE. And AFAIK, you can't transfer between different clusters.

If they were to allow the bolded statement, it will mean they have to make "Official Single Player" for every cluster, and it won't be feasible to everyone at all, since that means it will not only take in even more drive space just to accommodate it, plus that would mean they have to get every new server just for that thing, which is really expensive to maintain. Imagine trying to get an official single player server with over 5k+ active accounts, and then theres the potential risk of immediate rollback or transfer failures due to one server messed up that affected every other server linked to it.

If you are a billionaire, fine. But they are not. This kind of suggestion will cost a lot, even far more than the amount of servers they have to maintain now, and in the long run, won't really help if all the dino stored in the so-called server vanishes as well.

Archived