Dino Cap.. and the silence from WC

Super Fab

Part of the new game of Ark is to find a server that isn't at cap and being prepared to move when it is. Maybe this is part of their strategy to get people off of official, idk. Either way the fact that this is happening at all even on just 1 single server muchless the bulk of all The Island, The Center, and Ragnarok servers is shameful. Do they truly, deeply care? No. lol. And they have fanboys to defend them even on dino cap. 

I wouldn't QQ if it weren't for the fact that I go to one server and it's fine for a few weeks then it's at cap, having to move to another, so on and so forth.. knowing the few servers left are going to be hit even faster at dino cap. Nor would I complain if I had faith in WC's ability to properly fix things such as this. Instead we get discussions of "well maybe they will do this.. just be patient!.. for a few years" or "if you don't like it, LEAVE" instead of what's really the issue - WC. It sucks even worse because the only part of the game I really like is breeding which is obviously the underlining issue here.. I don't hoard mass amounts of dinos, I'm not even at 50% of max dinos allowed yet I'm not even able to mate much less raise babies on my server.. only way to do that is to move to another server until it's at cap! This shouldn't be normal, but to WC's standards it's acceptable and if it's not, they sure the hell drag their feet.. it'd be too much to ask to hire several more devs, eh? 

For most of my Ark life literally EVERYTHING, it didn't matter what it was - literally everything was excused with "but it's early access bro" .. we're pretty well into full release yet the same exact WC tactics remain. What's the excuse now?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DJRone89
On 8/7/2018 at 5:38 AM, Super Fab said:

Part of the new game of Ark is to find a server that isn't at cap and being prepared to move when it is. Maybe this is part of their strategy to get people off of official, idk. Either way the fact that this is happening at all even on just 1 single server muchless the bulk of all The Island, The Center, and Ragnarok servers is shameful. Do they truly, deeply care? No. lol. And they have fanboys to defend them even on dino cap. 

I wouldn't QQ if it weren't for the fact that I go to one server and it's fine for a few weeks then it's at cap, having to move to another, so on and so forth.. knowing the few servers left are going to be hit even faster at dino cap. Nor would I complain if I had faith in WC's ability to properly fix things such as this. Instead we get discussions of "well maybe they will do this.. just be patient!.. for a few years" or "if you don't like it, LEAVE" instead of what's really the issue - WC. It sucks even worse because the only part of the game I really like is breeding which is obviously the underlining issue here.. I don't hoard mass amounts of dinos, I'm not even at 50% of max dinos allowed yet I'm not even able to mate much less raise babies on my server.. only way to do that is to move to another server until it's at cap! This shouldn't be normal, but to WC's standards it's acceptable and if it's not, they sure the hell drag their feet.. it'd be too much to ask to hire several more devs, eh? 

For most of my Ark life literally EVERYTHING, it didn't matter what it was - literally everything was excused with "but it's early access bro" .. we're pretty well into full release yet the same exact WC tactics remain. What's the excuse now?

Stop hoarding dinos. Problem fixed. /s

Edited because people don’t understand sarcasm.

27 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

they should change it to when ever a pve server reaches tame cap the server is changed to a pvp server for a day

it would add some fun back to pve and solve the tame cap problem

That would be horribly unbalanced! 

PvE is a slippery slope.. they cant just increase dino cap, it would crash the servers. If anything it should be less. Were in dire need of a rework of the kibble system, not needing all the dinos for eggs. I personally like the egg mechanic but I realize something needs to be done. It will address lagg and base load aswell which would be nice. 

Guest DJRone89
5 hours ago, d1nk said:

That would be horribly unbalanced! 

PvE is a slippery slope.. they cant just increase dino cap, it would crash the servers. If anything it should be less. Were in dire need of a rework of the kibble system, not needing all the dinos for eggs. I personally like the egg mechanic but I realize something needs to be done. It will address lagg and base load aswell which would be nice. 

Doesn’t really matter what they implement to reduce the need of so many dinos because eventually the cap will be reached no matter what because it’s PvE.

WC has listened IMO, which is why one of the first features of extintion they mentioned was being able to cry-freeze dinos for storage. Stuff like that would normally be kept quiet much longer to not ruin the suprise. And dont hop servers if yours gets capped, just be patient.

At the most just have outposts on each map. If rag or center gets capped just hop on SE or AB for a bit to tame/breed. Thats what i do and can pretty much always get breeding done. Its a poop scenario, i get it. But until we get cry-freeze you have to either be patient or move to unofficial and i refuse to do the latter.

7 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Stop hoarding dinos. Problem fixed.

How do you force people to stop that if you dont limit it further? Are you suggesting everyone on Ark simply stop hoarding based on good will? 

14 minutes ago, ishootpaint said:

WC has listened IMO, which is why one of the first features of extintion they mentioned was being able to cry-freeze dinos for storage. Stuff like that would normally be kept quiet much longer to not ruin the suprise. And dont hop servers if yours gets capped, just be patient.

At the most just have outposts on each map. If rag or center gets capped just hop on SE or AB for a bit to tame/breed. Thats what i do and can pretty much always get breeding done. Its a poop scenario, i get it. But until we get cry-freeze you have to either be patient or move to unofficial and i refuse to do the latter.

The problem is, there will still be 500 dino cap on existing servers so it doesn't fix that problem. 

23 minutes ago, Super Fab said:

How do you force people to stop that if you dont limit it further? Are you suggesting everyone on Ark simply stop hoarding based on good will? 

You cannot stop human nature. Every possible "solution" will have player loopholes. Tribes split into smaller tribes, alt tribes, etc.

Fact is that servers are finite and can only support so many active players. Official servers are too crowded. The game wasn't designed for PvE.

Simply turning off PvP wasn't enough...It's not a survival game anymore...no environmental threats. If players were actively losing structures and dinos (like base attacking events or base attacking dinos ...similar to PvP), then there might be some balance.

1 hour ago, ishootpaint said:

There are expiry dates for dino/creatures cryo-frozen. It would put people not wanting to use that feature unless they are transferring it to another tribe without the need of unclaiming and claiming it.

7 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

The point of it being a pve server at all would be pointless. 

The point of an official PvE server is basically pointless. It's just a breeding building sim. Unless mods are added to increase the challenge or add missing survival elements.

1 hour ago, Vaculity said:

There are expiry dates for dino/creatures cryo-frozen. It would put people not wanting to use that feature unless they are transferring it to another tribe without the need of unclaiming and claiming it.

Expire date/starvation. There will still be upkeep, but id rather thaw and re-freeze than do meat and berry runs.

It would be a very pointless feature if it was intended for easier trading. Why would you build a machine when it takes 2 seconds to unclaim something. From what i understand once frozen its removed from your tribe and server limit. So i can keep some of my less important tames frozen while only keeping my favorites or utility dinos i use alot in the tribe.

Not saying it wont make trading a tad easier, it will. But i dont think its the intended reason for the cryo tech.

2 hours ago, Super Fab said:

The problem is, there will still be 500 dino cap on existing servers so it doesn't fix that problem. 

Im at 460ish tames on my main server. I plan on freezing about 100 of my tames and not for the purpose of taming more. But to decrease lag in my base and free up server tame space. 

Yes, some people will freeze to tame more. But those are the same people that make multiple tribes on one server. This feature is atleast a start to fixing the problem. I never said it would be a complete fix.

OP said they arnt listening and i gave an example of how they are aware of the issue.

Just now, ishootpaint said:

Im at 460ish tames on my main server. I plan on freezing about 100 of my tames and not for the purpose of taming more. But to decrease lag in my base and free up server tame space. 

Yes, some people will freeze to tame more. But those are the same people that make multiple tribes on one server. This feature is atleast a start to fixing the problem. I never said it would be a complete fix.

OP said they arnt listening and i gave an example of how they are aware of the issue.

It's still human nature. You cannot force people to freeze their tames.

Kibble rework is long long over due (this was promised to alleviate some of the tame cap issues).

7 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Already a thing. IIRC S+ got the tek thingy to store kibble dinos and act as a freezer for the eggs that stored dinos lay at a fixed rate.

Still locked behind tek. The s+ vivarium is a tek structure. This will make it inaccessible to lots of players.

For dino storage type mod to work for official servers, it has to be accessable by all. Industrial teir at most. 

2 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

It's still human nature. You cannot force people to freeze their tames.

Kibble rework is long long over due (this was promised to alleviate some of the tame cap issues).

Agreed, kib rework would be nice. The freezing needs to be implemented in a way that makes it the easier solution to keeping them fed. Make it the easy choice for mass storage.

But i do understand some people will always be trolls and cap servers on purpose. If alot of legit players are freezing it should atleast be a step in the right direction.

11 hours ago, Woodsman said:

they should change it to when ever a pve server reaches tame cap the server is changed to a pvp server for a day

it would add some fun back to pve and solve the tame cap problem

I know most of the PVE folks are horrified by this idea but i thas some merit.  What if instead of when a server reaches cap, let's say a message comes up when a server reaches 80% cap for example that provides a date in say 2 weeks where there will be a perge day.  On that day it becomes open season on anyone elses dinos.  They could build some mechanics into it where say you can't level someones base, but you can break in in order to kill dinos. Eveyrhing else would be locked.  also let's say there is a cap on the number of dinos a tribe can kill.  There are several ways to work it so folks don't get compeley massacred, but it's possible just the idea of a perge might cause folks to stop all that hoarding...

A purge day would make me tame/breed even more gigas and defense dinos. The purge would hurt the most for the same people that hurt the most from cap, the small guys. 

Its purge day. Whos gonna get wiped, us with metal bases and OP gigas or the beach bobs trying to scrape some tames together in between caps.

I honestly would like ORP removed from pve. I miss the days when you actually had to build in a manner to give security from kiters and wilds. Its a double edge sword and i guess they picked what they viewed as the lesser of two evils.

11 minutes ago, ishootpaint said:

Agreed.

A purge day would make me tame/breed even more gigas and defense dinos. The purge would hurt the most for the same people that hurt the most from cap, the small guys. 

Its purge day. Whos gonna get wiped, us with metal bases and OP gigas or the beach bobs trying to scrape some tames together in between caps.

I honestly would like ORP removed from pve. I miss the days when you actually had to build in a manner to give security from kiters and wilds. Its a double edge sword and i guess they picked what they viewed as the lesser of two evils.

I do think maybe they could add in a percentage like a tax on the rich.  If you have 300 dinos, 30 of yours can be wiped, if you have 3?  Well 1/3 rounded down would be zero so your immune.

1 hour ago, Melcreif said:

I do think maybe they could add in a percentage like a tax on the rich.  If you have 300 dinos, 30 of yours can be wiped, if you have 3?  Well 1/3 rounded down would be zero so your immune.

Well first and foremost the whole purge idea has a 0% chance of ever happening in the first place for many reasons.

Second of all unless you are given your stuff for free you are talking about peoples hard work that takes IRL time to do. Im already taxed in my real life, why would i play a game that taxes me there too. For the sole reason that i stated day 1 of the new cluster.

And i am taxed by having alot of tames, they dont feed themselves and generators dont run on hopes and dreams.

Archived