Ark Isn't Just Dying, It's Being Murdered

Doth

This is the video i hoped would come out for so long since iv started watching this guy. Ark's devs are ignorant and have no clue how to balance or fix a game. This isnt a rant thread. This is a plea to the devs to reform their methods, bring in outside help, or sell the game to someone that would take care of it. We love this game even though how objectively awful it is.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets be realistic, anybody that has played this game for more than a year knows exactly how much of lazy scumbags the devs are.  The game is addictive, so we are all going to continue putting money into their pockets because we love dinosaurs.  They haven't even fixed the issue of beacons floating into the ground and being unreachable, which has been around since the Scorched Earth days at least.  The TLC screwed up the rexes color regions, they cater to the pvp whiners by nerfing the paracer and brontos HP into the ground making them pointless, Aberration got delayed for months, I mean the list goes on.  We all still throw the money at them though, I bet most of us own Aberration, I know I do.

9 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Lets be realistic, anybody that has played this game for more than a year knows exactly how much of lazy scumbags the devs are.  The game is addictive, so we are all going to continue putting money into their pockets because we love dinosaurs.  They haven't even fixed the issue of beacons floating into the ground and being unreachable, which has been around since the Scorched Earth days at least.  The TLC screwed up the rexes color regions, they cater to the pvp whiners by nerfing the paracer and brontos HP into the ground making them pointless, Aberration got delayed for months, I mean the list goes on.  We all still throw the money at them though, I bet most of us own Aberration, I know I do.

i understand once u get something going on ark its like drugs all u want to do is play ark but u got to also look at the good things the ark devs have done i mean at lest it isnt as bad the old servers were

1 minute ago, XxkillvaderXx said:

i understand once u get something going on ark its like drugs all u want to do is play ark but u got tp also look at the good things the ark devs have done i mean at lest it isnt as bad the old servers were

The biggest improvement I've seen in the last 3 years was a few months before release they optimized Ark so that it didn't take half an hour to load onto a map, thats about it when it comes to improvements.  They really need to learn to do testing on their product, Aberration has tons of areas you can get permanently stuck on if you accidentally fall onto them.  You know, dinos enter the permanent floating position and just cant move.  They are lazy.

Just now, RipRavage said:

The biggest improvement I've seen in the last 3 years was a few months before release they optimized Ark so that it didn't take half an hour to load onto a map, thats about it when it comes to improvements.  They really need to learn to do testing on their product, Aberration has tons of areas you can get permanently stuck on if you accidentally fall onto them.  You know, dinos enter the permanent floating position and just cant move.  They are lazy.

i understand there's a lot of stuff to improved on and to be fixed but like u said earlier no matter what most people are still going to spend money on the game even though it runs like it should still be in early access 

6 minutes ago, XxkillvaderXx said:

isnt as bad the old servers were

I disagree with this. I experience worse consistent lag than I ever did on legacy servers. Rollbacks are starting to come back at the frequent pace that was present in legacy. The top priority should be better servers that can handle the scope of a game like this. Seriously, server stability alone would push this game into an upper echelon game despite other bugs. 

4 minutes ago, XxkillvaderXx said:

i understand there's a lot of stuff to improved on and to be fixed but like u said earlier no matter what most people are still going to spend money on the game even though it runs like it should still be in early access 

Early Access is the best word to describe Ark in its entirety.  I'm just glad I got it before they jacked the price up to 60 bucks for the same early access antics.

9 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Early Access is the best word to describe Ark in its entirety.  I'm just glad I got it before they jacked the price up to 60 bucks for the same early access antics.

i have to agree with this $60 is bit much for a game that just came out of early access and btw which platform do u play on? 

• Volunteer Moderator

ARK is not dying. Still averaging ~40k players a day on Steam since 2015. You guys tend to forget that most of the players are playing unofficial servers and that most of the issues you are describing are only affecting officials. I personally had my share of officials both PvP and PvE and I can guarantee you that hosting my own servers was the best decision I've ever made. Players on officials are toxic. I personally don't think $60 is too much. Just check the amount of entertainment you got out of the game and you will realize that it is quite cheap for the amount of content offered. I paid some games $60 that was done in ~20 hours and there was nothing else to do once the story was over so yeah, ARK is cheap and well worth its price.

I can't agree with a lot he says in the video. ARK was one of the most complete early access games, when it first hit early access. It was absolutely playable and had a lot of content untypical for a early access game at that time.

Servers are not unstable. Actually they are rock stable. Unofficials rarely ever crash and if they do, it's typically very fast fixed by WC. The problem is the official server network, which is overloaded with exploiters, searching for ways to bring down servers and the lack of WC dealing with this people. They should shut down the official servers and let the community run all servers. The game would go in a very different and much more positive direction. As you would have servers that are properly administrated and supported. A lot of his criticism only applies to officials.

I also don't think that ARK is a buggy mess and it never was. There are a lot of bugs and glitches, but it's more than playable. For a game like ARK it's not to bad. It could be better and i don't understand why some bugs are just not getting fixed, but it's still in a good state overall.

1 minute ago, XxkillvaderXx said:

i have to agree with this $60 is bit much for a game that just came out of early access and btw which platform do u play on? 

I play on PC, and man, what is even worse is the base game doesn't come with scorched earth, which came out before release.  How do you justify charging for content that was ready before official release.  So for the people that are going to buy the game now they have to pay 60 for the base game and another 20 for an expansion pack that came out during early access, that is shady as hell.

37 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

I play on PC, and man, what is even worse is the base game doesn't come with scorched earth, which came out before release.  How do you justify charging for content that was ready before official release.  So for the people that are going to buy the game now they have to pay 60 for the base game and another 20 for an expansion pack that came out during early access, that is shady as hell.

I"m not sure why you would feel anyone would "Have" to buy SE if they don't want it, no more so than they would "have" to buy Aberration or download any of the free DLC.  In fact, the main criticism of SE is that a lot of the content contained in it is available to folks that do not own SE.

Still, I suppose it's nice to have someone out there thinking it's an essential purchase.  :)

4 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

I"m not sure why you would feel anyone would "Have" to buy SE if they don't want it, no more so than they would "have" to buy Aberration or download any of the free DLC.  In fact, the main criticism of SE is that a lot of the content contained in it is available to folks that do not own SE.

Still, I suppose it's nice to have someone out there thinking it's an essential purchase.  :)

Scorched Earth came out in 2016, it was almost a year old by the time of official release, it should have been free with the official release.  I think 20 bucks for a map is a bit ridiculous, especially one that has received very little attention since its release.   It was ready before release, they allowed it's content for other maps, 20 dollars is steep for an old map don't you think.  It is bad enough that they released a paid DLC during early access.

1 hour ago, RipRavage said:

Does the video whine about the recent reduction to brontos, paracer, and stego? Because I'm pretty sure that was done to help balance out with the new turret limit, which in turn was done to help reduce lag/ improve performance. 

4 minutes ago, Ascendant said:

Does the video whine about the recent reduction to brontos, paracer, and stego? Because I'm pretty sure that was done to help balance out with the new turret limit, which in turn was done to help reduce lag/ improve performance. 

Or they could have just simply made turrrets have a buff against tanking dinosaurs allowing them to do more damage...  Whats the point of taming a bronto now when it has garbage DPS and you could just tame a tanky rex instead?  Tons of other tames gather berrys decent and don't take the amount of kibble the Bronto does. This was just a lazy quick fix to make PVPers stop bitching about their stupid turret limit they just had to add.

The devs just continue to make the game a slog-fest. like why did we need this:

- Added 10s cooldown between glides
- Lowered glide speed by 40%

Seriously? A delay between glides AND a reduction of almost HALF the gliding speed?

I would love to hear the logic there. @Jatheish care to explain the reasons we needed these things?

38 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Scorched Earth came out in 2016, it was almost a year old by the time of official release, it should have been free with the official release.

Well, since the group working on SE got it done before release that choice boiled down to "release it now" or "sit on it until a few months after release".  Personally I'm rather glad they made it available as soon as they could, waiting would have been a little silly.  And no, I don't expect them to pay to have DLC developed and then give it away for free just because they decided to add more content to the base game (which pushed back it's release date).  I may be "entitled" but I don't feel THAT entitled.

I think 20 bucks for a map is a bit ridiculous, especially one that has received very little attention since its release. 

I suppose that's subjective.  I've paid 2 and sometimes 3 times that amount for a single tank or plane in other games... games that were still in open beta I might add.  To me, all of the then new creatures, items, weather mechanics and the map itself were a steal at $20.

It was ready before release

Yes.

they allowed it's content for other maps

As they said they would well before release.  Which is a good thing, considering you regard it as essential to play the game.  :)

20 dollars is steep for an old map don't you think

As stated above, no I don't.  You might also consider that it was brand new at the time, which is also when the bulk of it's sales occurred.

It is bad enough that they released a paid DLC during early access.

Opinions vary, but as I said I'd rather buy it sooner than wait until after release and buy it later.  I was going to get it anyway, so why a pointless wait.  For those that object I have no beef with them, they were perfectly entitled not to pay for the additional content if they didn't want it... no matter when it was released.  Now if their underlying motivation is simply that they are angry they didn't get the DLC for free, I don't have much sympathy.... at least not for any of them over the age of 12.  They should understand that game companies are in business to make money, and additional development projects cost money.  Its' a pretty basic concept.

Archived