Stealthchange: Dinos can no longer be claimed when timer runs out

Fistfeet

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a great idea, BUT what if you lose your character in transfer?

Solo tribes are basically SOL if they lose their chars. Say goodbye to everything with ZERO chance of claiming anything back.

Also for bigger tribes with Personal owned dinos. Those dinos will be stuck on the server the lost char was on since cannot unclaim or move them off server.

On 11/14/2017 at 3:32 PM, DarthaNyan said:

SGYTEXQ.png

This has been in patch notes since yesterday.

Really, Show me where. Jeremy made no mention of this change. https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594820656447032287/

Yes, Jat covered it but both should be the same. And just when was this "FIX" supposed to take place. The first time I learned about it was when I could no longer see the timer. The devs are F-ing the game.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, elweasel2010 said:

Really, Show me where. Jeremy made no mention of this change. https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594820656447032287/

Yes, Jat covered it but both should be the same. And just when was this "FIX" supposed to take place. The first time I learned about it was when I could no longer see the timer. The devs are F-ing the game.

On the front page... there is a Patch Notes section... Steam is rarely up-to-date because nobody except Jeremy himself can edit that thread and I heard he is quite a busy guy. In short, the forums is definitely the first place you should check. The Dev Tracker is also a good place to seek for information.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:40 AM, Avaraxius said:

Claiming system was a bad system (not saying broken) they had to remove it with the release of the game since enough good(bad) examples where on the legacy servers it was abused to much by players.

If you really are dependend on claiming then a better option is playing single player where you can spawn them and use steam chat or any other tool to be social.

How the hell was it abused. Duping ok that was abused. Ptera bombing was abused.  Claiming was not abused. Me claiming a dino doesn't affect anyone else. The person who owned the dino would not still own it since it would have despawned. Plus if the person came back I can give back the dino.(done both, gave back and kept). I don't buy that it was done because of server taming limits. 

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, elweasel2010 said:

Me claiming a dino doesn't affect anyone else.

And this is where you got wrong. It DOES affect everyone. When Bob&Jane are too lazy to tame/breed their own dinos and rely on claiming from others, they just become greedy and claim and hoard everything the can which cap servers preventing everyone from taming or breeding.

Claimer's house:

Spoiler

hoardersfeatured-1380x620_rev1.jpg

9 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

On the front page... there is a Patch Notes section... Steam is rarely up-to-date because nobody except Jeremy himself can edit that thread and I heard he is quite a busy guy. In short, the forums is definitely the first place you should check. The Dev Tracker is also a good place to seek for information.

Both should be the same. If Jeremy is too busy then he needs to stop trying to update the notes

I disagree with you. I have never noticed any lag due to "too many dinos". This is not a solution to that problem. There is nothing stopping me and everyone else from taming until the personal or server tame limit is hit.  And then you are back to this same problem. This is a the same as the "Flyer fix" Show me one unofficial server that doesn't use the classic flyers mod. The all use it since no one likes the flyer nerf. This is the same BS.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, elweasel2010 said:

Both should be the same. If Jeremy is too busy then he needs to stop trying to update the notes

STA.com is their official site, which makes more than sense for it to be the official source for patch notes, period.

1 minute ago, elweasel2010 said:

I disagree with you. I have never noticed any lag due to "too many dinos". This is not a solution to that problem. There is nothing stopping me and everyone else from taming until the personal or server tame limit is hit.  And then you are back to this same problem. This is a the same as the "Flyer fix" Show me one unofficial server that doesn't use the classic flyers mod. The all use it since no one likes the flyer nerf. This is the same BS.

Who said it was THE solution for capped server? But it definitely helps. Now creatures that are abandoned are directly freeing slots instead of being held by Bob that claimed them. Then, Bob decided he didn't want to play on official servers anymore because they are toxic and he moved on. 8 days later, Bob's dinos became claimable again and Jane claimed them. The for some reason, Jane got bored of the game and started playing MineCraft again. Human randomly spawned on the beach, and saw some claimable dinos. He accidentally pressed E on them without having any idea of what he was doing. He moved in the jungle and completely lost where he was because he didn't have a compass yet. 8 days later, 123 transferred from another server just to kite Giga to other players in order to loot their dinos inventory and upon spawning he saw some dinos being claimable so he claimed them. Since he is a troll, he just decided to put them on wander+aggressive. And it never ends. Unwanted dinos need to be deleted. Claiming system was a bad idea and the only good thing about it was that it was helping players re-claim their dinos in case they accidentally left their tribe or lost their character. In conclusion, you want free dinos? Go singleplayer and spawn everything you want.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Zederia said:

but steam (where the game is HOSTED) does not link to sta, it links to steam forums

I totally agree. And I actually proposed to link the official forums in that thread back in may:

@Jatheish The suggestion ^ remains. Having 2 different places to lookup the patch notes is counter-productive.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Zederia said:

it's ironic that sometimes it's the other way around. it's inconsistant

Yes, I've seen it happens. When Jeremy does push patches in the middle of the night while the CM are sleeping steam usually gets updated first. But the points remains, Jeremy CAN edit both while only him can edit steam so steam should be redirecting here and everyone should update patch notes on these forums no matter the time of the day.

Anyways, I'm used to check both along with the devtracker so it really no longer matters to me but is definitely confusing when you are only used to check one place or the others.

From my personal experience, This change is both good and bad imo, depending on the circumstance.

The good: Tame cap will be less frequent due to the dinos that will auto decay and not be claimed by another

The bad:

I had invited a friend to merge with my tribe. She had some beloved dinos she had with her (she had recently moved into my server). I offered her the option to join my tribe, told her to pick the merge option. She did not pick the right option, and her dinos, tho they were allied with me, were now in a playerless tribe.

We were able to claim them when the timers expired. If this would happen again with anyone else after this change, then that is bye bye to those precious dinos, and many tears would be shed.

Higher response times for tickets relating to cases like this would be our only saving throw, if they even handled dino issues, but they dont. Would be nice if they would/could because of this inability to claim decayed dinos.

What tool do players have to repossess dinos, when a tribe with dinos becomes playerless due to accidents?

Players are human, accidents happen, and some of us are far more attached to dinos than others. The loss of dinos can cause severe heartbreak for me and some of my friends, even causing depression in some cases. We need something to allow us to save our dinos, because broken hearts hurt, a lot. I know from personal experience, and have footage to prove the emotional/physical damage that losing a dino does to me. It isn't a pretty picture.

P.S. I would kindly request no responses like "buck up" or like "quit playing Ark if it hurts so much". I am aware that my request might fall on deaf ears if the ears are owned by a heartless troll, and/or by someone who doesn't understand mental conditions, oh well, shows what kind of person you are. If you are kind and dont respond like that, I appreciate you understanding. People who understand, or are willing to not judge so harshly, is so very important to me. Thank you if you are one of those nice folks.

1 minute ago, Donk67 said:

So one of my tribe mates has said this feature of the game is no more? Is this correct? And if so could someone explain the reason behind the decision to stop peeps claiming Dinos that have been left so long their timers have expired? Thanks..........

It is correct.

To alleviate dino-capped servers problem a bit.

8 minutes ago, Donk67 said:

Oh I see............ Not sure how that's gonna help? so do they just disappear then when their timers have expired or do they become wild again, if they were wild in the first place??

Abandoned tamed dinos with expired timers will just disappear whenever you enter their render range next time without ability to claim them even if you camp.

As for how that helps: if a tribe with 200-300 dinos leaves the server - thats 200-300 dino spots freed in 8 days. With claiming that didnt happen because players are greedy and set alarms to just re-claim everything even if they dont need them.

1 minute ago, DarthaNyan said:

Abandoned tamed dinos with expired timers will just disappear whenever you enter their render range next time without ability to claim them.

As for how that helps: if a tribe with 200-300 dinos leaves the server - thats 200-300 dino spots freed for cap in 8 days. With claiming that didnt happen because players are greedy and set alarms to just re-claim everything even if they dont need them.

Yes of course, I do see now thanks.......  Some people aye, very greedy indeed..:/

Definitely a welcomed change. I had fun claiming and killing peoples dinos during cap, etc., but we can't be everywhere at once. People claiming hundreds of dinos over the course of a few weeks/months does nothing but worsen the cap issue. And nothing hurts a breeder more than seeing someone sell your line of dinos that ended up getting claimed from the person you gave/sold them to. 

On 11/18/2017 at 10:52 AM, invincibleqc said:

STA.com is their official site, which makes more than sense for it to be the official source for patch notes, period.

Who said it was THE solution for capped server? But it definitely helps. Now creatures that are abandoned are directly freeing slots instead of being held by Bob that claimed them. Then, Bob decided he didn't want to play on official servers anymore because they are toxic and he moved on. 8 days later, Bob's dinos became claimable again and Jane claimed them. The for some reason, Jane got bored of the game and started playing MineCraft again. Human randomly spawned on the beach, and saw some claimable dinos. He accidentally pressed E on them without having any idea of what he was doing. He moved in the jungle and completely lost where he was because he didn't have a compass yet. 8 days later, 123 transferred from another server just to kite Giga to other players in order to loot their dinos inventory and upon spawning he saw some dinos being claimable so he claimed them. Since he is a troll, he just decided to put them on wander+aggressive. And it never ends. Unwanted dinos need to be deleted. Claiming system was a bad idea and the only good thing about it was that it was helping players re-claim their dinos in case they accidentally left their tribe or lost their character. In conclusion, you want free dinos? Go singleplayer and spawn everything you want.

Correct that is exactly what I said. Have one site hosting the patch notes. Again when you google it the first site is steam.

Who the hell uses a compass to navigate?  The only reason to learn the compass engram is to then learn GPS engram.

Kiting Gigas or Titans doesn't work with Offline damage protection on PVE. And IIRC you can't claim dinos in PVP so it is a non-issue.

Just for that reason claiming should be allowed. Accidents happen all the time. I have lost my character a couple times and yes claiming saved my  butt and now I have two characters to help prevent this crap. Unwanted dinos need to be taken care of not deleted. The claiming system was a good idea.

Besides according to your scenario. These people sound like noobs and regardless of the level of the tame, they will get the tame killed. Every first tame of mine died due to me. At least you learn.

On 11/18/2017 at 10:52 AM, invincibleqc said:

First off Thank you for the Dino's recently.

I do have to disagree with you here though. While what you said definitely happens it is not as bad as it is portrayed. Dino's left on aggressive and wander with be killed by an Alpha as they spawn much more often now. Players on my server used to claim and then kill Dinos to free up space when the server was near cap. It is just a matter of learning how to deal with the current system. Most Legacies no longer have a cap issue as players lost confidence in Legacy being around. The reason why claiming was important was not for the garbage Dinos but for the rare bred ones that happened to be owned by a player who stopped playing for whatever reason. These Dinos represent a massive time commitment by usually many players over years. Losing these dinos is a tragedy and the ability to claim them was the only failsafe the game offered. These dinos cannot be just claimed out in the wild, so that train of logic is just faulty. Claiming dinos is not about laziness but is about preservation. 

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, Cinnamongod said:

First off Thank you for the Dino's recently.

No worries, you are welcome!

22 minutes ago, Cinnamongod said:

I do have to disagree with you here though. While what you said definitely happens it is not as bad as it is portrayed. Dino's left on aggressive and wander with be killed by an Alpha as they spawn much more often now. Players on my server used to claim and then kill Dinos to free up space when the server was near cap. It is just a matter of learning how to deal with the current system. Most Legacies no longer have a cap issue as players lost confidence in Legacy being around. The reason why claiming was important was not for the garbage Dinos but for the rare bred ones that happened to be owned by a player who stopped playing for whatever reason. These Dinos represent a massive time commitment by usually many players over years. Losing these dinos is a tragedy and the ability to claim them was the only failsafe the game offered. These dinos cannot be just claimed out in the wild, so that train of logic is just faulty. Claiming dinos is not about laziness but is about preservation. 

First of all, let's be honest here, the scenario I portrayed is most likely never going to happens and was mainly an exaggeration of the never ending claiming chain that it used to be. While I could understand, that claiming others breeding lines might be some sort of preservation but, in case of lines pushed by many players, that means not only one person had them so they should still be around. And in case they are not, and that everyone that contributed to that line did leave, if they didn't share/gave them away I think this is totally their rights and I truly respect that. I'm not entirely sure that I would consider that a valid reason for keeping the claiming system, because I always been against it. I myself claimed dinos in the early days and it ruined my game experience. The fact I got given a Quetzal on my first few days removed a lot of the survival aspect the game has to offer to newcomers. Further on, I started claiming and instantly kill everything I was able to see. I did keep some eggies here and there but nothing I would not have been able to tame myself but was just a time saver; not a necessity. I also got a lot of hate from others for doing so but I always believed it was the right thing to do. On another occasion, a tribemate on my SE server forgot to reset his base and some russians glitched inside and claimed everything. We kited rock elementals in the building and made sure everything die. In conclusion, I guess we will have to disagree on this, because I personally cannot think of any other pros than what I mentioned above in case of character losses and that the cons massively overtake that point. ^_^

Archived