Just curious would you store brontos and gigas etc outside or inside? Base Plan

Zergling963

So I am trying to think of how I want to build my base on my personal PVE server and I am wondering do I work out a way to keep brontos/gigas etc inside or store them outside?? Wondering others thoughts on this?? As I will be breeding them for babies :) So am I better keeping them indoors?? Just make a large enough breeding area to temporarily hold them or what??

I would appreciate some help/thoughts on this! As I plan to expand my base underwater so some dinos will most likely eventually be housed in the underwater tek chambers (have structures plus on it) But I was curious as to others opinions on this matter??

Thanks

Hmmm, usually when base building I always make sure to keep everything inside the base just avoid and mishaps with wild creatures/players. Probably best if you are gonna use them for breeding to dedicate a section of your base to making a breeding "pen" of sorts with appropriate sized cages for appropriately sized creatures of course. Also assuming you only have two of each it would be easy to just stick them in a pen and leave them. 

I would say just incorporate an are in your base to hold them in, hopefully you have enough room lol

You're on PvE.  Just build a huge, like 15 stone behemoth gate (that's not even that huge) ring around your base.  You can then keep ALL of your dinos outside.  If you're worried about Argies or anything flying in, put 2 or 3 auto turrets set to Wild Only on the GROUND inside the beh gate ring.  Don't put them so high that they can shoot over the gates and make sure there's no holes between the gates for the turrets to shoot through.  Otherwise they could agro an alpha or a giga.  As long as none of your dinos are poking out of the gates and there's no gaps between the gates or the floors, no wild dino will agro to your dinos inside.  To fix holes, use Fence Foundations and Walls.

In PVE an experienced player won't tame either.

Gigas are useless for anything other then meat harvesting and just eat it all anyways. Plus they can rage and kill all your other Dino's. Get Rex's for meat runs instead, your gonna need them for boss fights as well.

Brontos are just very large lag machines. Get a deer for thatch, trike for berries, or a Theri for both. These take up less space, server other purposes as well, and don't lag the entire server when they harvest.

Personally i would leave the Giga's and Bronto's outside.

We had a breeding pen big enough to fit them in for mating but kept them outside otherwise.

Like someone said above, use turrets or plant species inside to stop anything that spawns inside but besides that your fine. not much will attack a giga and the bronto due to their size so you should be fine.

We have never had an issue with them being outside on PVE. we also used to leave rex's, allos, stegos, rock's and carnos out to save having to build massive structures.

I like to keep things indoors. My barn is...quite large. It keeps the odd hostile spawn from setting everything off since most of the barn was built on uneven ground and therefore raised up with pillars. Also protects them if a titan were to find a way into the base. My walls are high enough to prevent it but "life finds a way." Especially with the fact that animals phase through structures.

8 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

In PVE an experienced player won't tame either.

Gigas are useless for anything other then meat harvesting and just eat it all anyways. Plus they can rage and kill all your other Dino's. Get Rex's for meat runs instead, your gonna need them for boss fights as well.

Brontos are just very large lag machines. Get a deer for thatch, trike for berries, or a Theri for both. These take up less space, server other purposes as well, and don't lag the entire server when they harvest.

Brontos are pretty annoying although I love my speed bronto. It goes airborne!

Decent gigas can kill titans without much trouble. Considering how annoying they are, especially for new players, the veterans tend to hop on gigas to clear them out. There's also the nice experience boost. And a good saddle will keep a giga from enraging from anything but a drop off a cliff. There's also wild gigas. Need giga hearts to open up the dragon portals. Sure ya can knock them out and then kill them but where's the fun in that? :D

You dont need a bronto on PVE, it will kill your server.......

As for gigas, leave them outside, nothing in game will attack a giga as far as im aware.

1 hour ago, Vrallox said:

Decent gigas can kill titans without much trouble. Considering how annoying they are, especially for new players, the veterans tend to hop on gigas to clear them out. There's also the nice experience boost. And a good saddle will keep a giga from enraging from anything but a drop off a cliff. There's also wild gigas. Need giga hearts to open up the dragon portals. Sure ya can knock them out and then kill them but where's the fun in that? :D

I agree on using gigas to take down titans, but its a very rare thing to do. Unless you have a friend who built in a bad spot for them lol.

As for collecting giga hearts, use a wyvern, its by far the most entertaining, espicially when the giga runs straight over the mountain, takes to the skies and manages to get a hit on you when your 50ft above it.

On 10/25/2017 at 11:05 AM, Zergling963 said:

So I am trying to think of how I want to build my base on my personal PVE server and I am wondering do I work out a way to keep brontos/gigas etc inside or store them outside?? Wondering others thoughts on this?? As I will be breeding them for babies :) So am I better keeping them indoors?? Just make a large enough breeding area to temporarily hold them or what??

I would appreciate some help/thoughts on this! As I plan to expand my base underwater so some dinos will most likely eventually be housed in the underwater tek chambers (have structures plus on it) But I was curious as to others opinions on this matter??

Thanks

The largest I tried doing inside originally was a stego, but I eventually had to spill it all outside with a mega wall for the larger ones.

I did a video of my larger Island base a while ago, probably too long for anyone to watch, but here's a link to the spot where I go over the outside area (roughly).

For protection, I put most stuff on passive, and put some guard dog dinos around the base and some plant x (for private pve server), mostly to protect against small fliers that get over the wall. I never had issues with walkers getting in.

If you want to build inside for protection, it's just a lot of building. I liked the look of the outside for bigger guys and inside for the smaller/delicate/special dinos for my own base.

8 hours ago, Vrallox said:

I like to keep things indoors. My barn is...quite large. It keeps the odd hostile spawn from setting everything off since most of the barn was built on uneven ground and therefore raised up with pillars. Also protects them if a titan were to find a way into the base. My walls are high enough to prevent it but "life finds a way." Especially with the fact that animals phase through structures.

Keep in mind knocking out a dino clears its inventory and it wont drop a heart even if killed: only exception are female wyverns.

To reply to OP, it depends where you live. In the south you will be fine, however I have seen alpha rexes there. In the north keep everything indoors as gigas prowl.

In anycase keep them on neutral. Things like pegomastax do not care what your dino is and will attempt to kill large things anyway: we lost a rock golem to one while afk because it was on passive...

14 hours ago, Vrallox said:

Or you could just breed Rex's for the boss fights and rip the wild Gigas and Titans apart with them.

I haven't tamed a Giga in PVE since early 2016... WC nerfed them to death. They just end up sitting around eating your food. Seriously a Rex is better in every way.

12 hours ago, Saupe said:

You dont need a bronto on PVE, it will kill your server.......

As for gigas, leave them outside, nothing in game will attack a giga as far as im aware.

I agree on using gigas to take down titans, but its a very rare thing to do. Unless you have a friend who built in a bad spot for them lol.

As for collecting giga hearts, use a wyvern, its by far the most entertaining, espicially when the giga runs straight over the mountain, takes to the skies and manages to get a hit on you when your 50ft above it.

A wild Giga will attack another Giga. Agree on the Wyvern. Really many other Dino's can take them once you get into breeding.

im on PVE official, no gate walls etc. we found the sweet spot on Rag with a cave big enough to hold 2 gigas side by side and a behemoth gate to seal the entrance.

wasn't enough though, we've now built a tower of sorts on top of the cave that can hold a further 2 gigas, a aviary for 20+ flyers, 4 individual rooms for our tribe members, griffin platforms, Wyvern platform, Quetz platform, pub, further wyvern platforms and a royal pooper shoot which you could base jump from the top and parachute down to the beach front at blue ob.

we're as high as our ice trapping pen is where the oil pumps are and difficult enough to get to for kiting purposes so it can be done as long as you're strategic enough with where you build and how you build. 241 animals in 1 structure and a breeding cave

6 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Or you could just breed Rex's for the boss fights and rip the wild Gigas and Titans apart with them.

I haven't tamed a Giga in PVE since early 2016... WC nerfed them to death. They just end up sitting around eating your food. Seriously a Rex is better in every way.

A wild Giga will attack another Giga. Agree on the Wyvern. Really many other Dino's can take them once you get into breeding.

well some people like to have those things you may not but others do! I already have them so I am not getting rid of them cause I want them! Leave people to please make there own choices on the dinos they want. Thanks

15 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Huh. I never thought that was possible. What kind of stats did you use to take down gigas and titans and how many rexes did you need? I have to admit I never was really fond of the giga I've just been using it because I thought it was necessary for such fights.

17 hours ago, Zergling963 said:

well some people like to have those things you may not but others do! I already have them so I am not getting rid of them cause I want them! Leave people to please make there own choices on the dinos they want. Thanks

I never told you not to tame them. At one point I did too, and loved them... It passes with time. Just wanted you to know their drawbacks.

8 hours ago, Vrallox said:

Huh. I never thought that was possible. What kind of stats did you use to take down gigas and titans and how many rexes did you need? I have to admit I never was really fond of the giga I've just been using it because I thought it was necessary for such fights.

Oh dude, 2 well bred and fully levelled Rex's will shred a Giga NP. I'm talking like 40+k hp though with as close to 1K melee you can get and good saddles. Take 6-8 when you first start breeding and aim for low level wilds.

Titans, they're not that tough, just mad HP... Time and numbers, just don't get under foot. 6 Well bred Rex's will make pretty quick work of them, and I do mean quick. Heck you can take them with a large pack of Allo's NP. 

Actually, that's often how I like to kill off inferior breeds.... Build a large pack, sick on Gigas, Titans, Alpha Rex's etc.... Those that live, live to see the next battle. Lol.

Try sicking a penguin army on a Giga dude, it's hilarious!

You still want to keep them inside an enclosure of some type, bugs and pegos will stil aggro them. Keep the area protected with plantx/turrets, but as a previous commenter said, dont keep your turrets too high as to not aggro nearby wandering titans, alphas, or gigas. This varies and depends on your choice of location of course. Just build smart and always consider base defense, even in pve, because trolls love to be trolls. I can tell you from experience how pleasurable it is to watch a troll faily miserably to kite titans and gigas into your base :P

Archived