MT: Server Repurpose: General Discussions/Complaints/I Quits

Moonie1

4 minutes ago, Samula said:

Yup, I truly wish people to play Ark the same way I do which is to play it the way that makes it fun. 

Well people have all kinds of different concepts of what's fun.

Some actually think cheating, trolling etc is fun. Who's to say they're wrong if they like it? Not my cup of tea though.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hosting servers is not cheap.

Think of how much money it would cost to keep the servers running for 5+ years after launch.

From a corporate perspective, expenses will continue to be cut on a regular basis. That is why they are doing the 3 month Server Kill cycle.

Every 3 months the current legacy servers will be assessed and 1 of 2 things will happen:

1. They will remove the server completely as it is an expense 

2. Reformat the server to be used on the new cluster if profits outweigh the expense.

The key words moving forward are "Profits" and "Losses" and how will the ship stay afloat.

We all forget, WC has to keep the lights on in their studio and pay their employees

I feel like this is a blessing in disgust for a lot of people through reading this thread. I have put a lot of time into this game, but also with the realization that it is just a game. I dont expect anything back, as I have had more then $60 worth of fun and experiences. 

In my situation I recently got insided by a long time friend on one server and kept getting kited senselessly on another server. I said farewell to both and went of the grid(deleted/blocked everyone I knew who played ARK) and started over with just a few dinos and gear that I was able to save. 

As I was pulling my dinos off the kiting server they kept saying "Get off my server!", which I replied "This server is getting wiped because of people like you so have fun." They just "LOL'd and LOL'd" That was a about a month ago before the list. Guess which server is getting cut..... bye bye 

The other server met the same fate with my "Friend" who misread my statement and over reacted and targeted me. I knew them and all they did was try to push people around on PvE which was sad enough. The tribes of trolls, jerks, and greedy are all getting what they asked for. 

For me this all happened at the perfect time, I dont know how much more ARK I will play at this point just because the game is getting stale after doing everything it had to offer. Ill wait for Rag just to check it out and maybe start a new Main on it, but I agree and understand what WC had to do in order to release and brace for the traffic. Part of me was hoping my server was picked for the wipe but my bug out server was saved. 

Good luck in your situations everyone. 

The sad part about this whole thing is that wc looked at us and said good news! We will keep some servers and call them legacy servers. We will also update them, but we aren't going to help you. You get to keep all your stuff from the past 2 years, but we don't care if you loose it due to no fault of your own. 

"Oh, you have a greifer who just piped your base in pve? Well, you should have moved to the new cluster" "not our problem"

In 3 months, they will reevaluate the servers and close down more and more. Essentially forcing people who have spent years building, trading, GRINDING for what they have. Now forcing other people to jump ship, invade other servers, and crowd up that server. Pretty soon, those servers will be at dino cap, no more breeding, no more taming. 

Wc said that they had a "vision" but I don't think they have any foresight. They didn't see how this would effect the legacy servers down the road. 

6 minutes ago, fewcm said:

Should be called a Purge rather than a Migration.

Thumbs up on this. You are right it is a purge

Out with the old, in with the new.

Unfortunately they don't realize that it's the old players that kept them afloat to be able to take a crap on us down the road. Shouldn't bite the hand that feeds

I have been playing on a pve server for 2 years now. As well as multiple other players on that server. It's a very sad day that we are now considered a legacy server...our server lags at 30 people somewhat awful. Now due to this migration we as a server are forced to pillar and block the obs. We as a server were friendly and helped new survivors but the sever can not sustain an additional 20 survivors. So due to pillering and ob blocking other players who's home will be destroyed are now searching for another server and another and another....and to make it all worse....every three months low pop servers will be repurposed....you have ran these servers for 2 years what gives? Why the sudden deactivation  of these servers ? The legacy servers will eventully be rallied up and join as a few concentrated servers and then shut down.....do you think your servers can withstand 50 players with mass bases and mass dinos as what happens in pve? When I initially joined my server I joined because it wasn't over populated so lag would be less. Idk wc. Every time you screw up something you cover it with a lie then eventually tell the truth. What gives with this migration? Was it just a way to end duping ? Are you running low on money? Are you trolls? Were you gonna wipe all servers but decided you couldn't do that to all your paying customers so hince this migration ? Was their anyone who stood up against the idea of this event ? You as a company are acting like the government lol...all these cover ups and lies. If you need more money to operate the servers I'm damn sure those customers would gladly hand over money to ensure their server will not become repurposed. Why can't that be an option? I can buy a server and admin it. Why can't I help pay for you to run an Offical server for me and my other fellow server players just like it is now with no help from a support person or whatever (I don't play unofficial as dont the other tribes in my sever ). That would bring you money. Im sure this topic will possibly be edited by wc or deleted and I'll receive points or a temp ban..but hopefully someone will being these things up to someone...but as always your busy getting ready for release but in reality you have been working on new dlc...which I will buy to support you of course. Hmm at least some community members might get to reply to me lol. Also I've seen the early posts within the forums Jat Jen and the others used to reply to posts more often then now. Is it because your busy? Is the community too trolly? Is it a possibility that higher ups have ordered you to not answer certain types of questions? Or do you prefer other media outlets like twitter and what not ? 

6 hours ago, PaleoJoe said:

What I do not understand:

Players saw this coming. They knew they were on 'dead' servers because no one else was on. They should see this coming.

Also, people cannot complain "OMG WC will lose their fanbase because everyone has to move". Um, no. Dead servers means a handful of people are even actively playing on it. My server goes from 5 to 30 people. I consider it low population, but if I never saw more than 5 people log in at once I would expect it to be dead and move a long time ago.

Are you that dense? Over 50% of official PC servers were taken out. More then just dead servers bud. Servers that had 20-30 people on consistently. Maybe read a thread that has been posted in the forums over the last 24 hours.

It's because they don't know how to respond and they are too busy working on other things to care. Don't know why they never entertained the idea, maybe they did, they never asked, but I would have been willing to pay a decent monthly to keep my server up :( Anyway no use crying over spilt milk. I sincerely hope they learn from these mistakes. I hope they have considered the consequences of their actions. I hope they have looked a little past their nose to see and avoid these consequences. time will tell. 

Wildcards biggest failing is thinking PvP and PvE work the same way.

I've played plenty of PvP in various games - its ok but there's only so much constant whining you can take (play EVE....). I happen to enjoy the community on the PvE servers, even with the odd occasional player not understanding it works quite well. From a PvE perspective every update, every nerf, every stat change is to counter something on PvP but we are left to pickup the pieces.

Is wildcard the only guilty party? no - plenty of people who fail at life insist that cheating is the only way to go on PvP and PvE and have put us in the position we are in...

6 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

It may be official when given in an official setting.  Replying to somebodies post in a thread that wont be seen by everybody is not classed as an official statement.

Also I would take an interview from PC Gamer with a grain of salt, if that was written by Jeremy or I had heard him say those words myself I would believe them,  sadly I find it hard to digest the words from a magazine that gives near enough every AAA game 8-9/10 regardless of how good/crap they are.

Well you just described almost every statement that WC has made. They never release their statements on official platforms, just twitter/ steam posts/ and vague corners of the internet. So then by that logic few statements they make are official.

6 hours ago, Trikky said:

ok, now I understand, you are a fan boi

K. Makes it very clear that you're just upset that your server will be repurposed and everything about cour "career" is made up. You ignore anything non-subjective and call me a fanboy because I disagree with you and have actual arguments.

Wouldn't be bad to be upset. But what you did is meh.

Have a nice day.

Edit: And your Ragnarok vs. SE argument is weaker than a rainworm. ragnarok is a brand new map and everyone plays on it. SE is old and just a DLC that is supposed to lack in content compared to Island.

Ill try to keep this short and succinct.  

Like many of you, I am in a undesirable position at the current moment in my ark career. More hours into pve than I care to admit. Both of my tribes servers are on the kill list. At this point, after my work week has come to a close, we have 3 +days to move 2 years worth of grinding, 1 stack at a time, 1 dino at a time.To be honest, the logistics are laughable... 

At this point though, I am forced to wonder if this vain attempt at salvaging some of our things is even worth while at all....humor me..

Say for instance I spend ALL WEEKEND prefabricating structures to start  new base on a 3rd legacy server. Spend the next 3 months grinding my butt off.... to MAYBE get to a point where our old benchmark of achievment is a fuzzy smudge  a seemingly infinite distance off in the future.    

So, say we do this and build up again... On a legacy server... (BECAUSE THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION AT THIS POINT) ..November Rolls around, and whammy... Hit with another kill list.

AND guess what?  The odds of your "new " server  being included in this second kill list are increased. 

So on and so forth. Until all legacy servers are gone.  including the one you moved to as a refuge during the "Great Migration". Only out is to go private. And thats if that option is ever made fully available, that is. 

So.. Migrate they say, you can find a new server!  The thing is, though...Every item, every dino, every base built in pre release is Dead. Gone. Thise billions of berries picked they spoke of ? Hundreds of thousands of hours of progress achieved by countless players; thrown away. 

With wildcard designating all existing servers legacy, They basically wiped everyone. They are just to scared to do it outright. To scared to even own up to what they are actually doing. Kinda funny they decided to brand them legacy, isnt a legacy something that  continues on and on into the future, by definition?

At this point I have to admit I am conflicted, and hurt.  I love ark. Could have "retired" on 310.  No other game looks as appealing. But the honest truth is I dont know if I am willing to commit any more time  or effort into this game after the recent turn of events.... THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS, THE POSSIBLITY OF  ANOTHER WIPE  WILL ALWAYS HANG OVER MY ARK EXPERIENCE. But hey... It pairs nicely with that sick, sinking feeling I get in my gut when I think of my digital home and pets ... All gone in ...a few hours.... FM ark L.. Ughhh...sorry to vent, more sorry to anyone who played on a canceled server...

Good day All...

14 minutes ago, LittleRedReaper said:

You are absolutely correct. The SE server of ours that got killed had about 25 people playing consistently. I don't know about everyone else, but that doesn't sound like "0 population" servers. They should have just wiped and I wasn't for the wipe, but now there is an ever looming threat of losing everything. They should have just ripped off the bandaid then, because I am I gonna spend time building, doing bosses, and breeding if all the legacy servers will systematically be removed (and I believe they will) it sucks.

No that does not sound like 0 population. My server is getting killed too and it is not a 0 pop server that isn't used for weeks on end. There are several people that play on my SE server daily. WC went back on their word when they said even if 2 people play within a months time, it won't go down. Yet all of these "0 pop" and "low pop" servers are getting killed off. 

20 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

Well you just described almost every statement that WC has made. They never release their statements on official platforms, just twitter/ steam posts/ and vague corners of the internet. So then by that logic few statements they make are official.

Also, the article in question puts everything Jeremy said in direct quotes. That means it was word for word. Otherwise, Jeremy would have one heck of a lawsuit for misrepresentation.

22 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

@Jat @Jen

I was wondering if xbox1 primitive pvpers will get new legacy scorched servers because all 6 of the current primitive pvp scorched servers are on the kill list. Hope you reply and ty for your time. 

If all servers are on the list, they will all be wiped and there won't be an primitive PvP SE servers that have the legacy status.

WC doesn't go after letting servers for every map and every mode but how full the servers were.

Also, what do you mean by new legacy? Legacy servers aren't new. They're the old servers. And all new servers won't be legacy.

19 hours ago, slavojchomsky said:

Quick update. 

483 servers are being taken down. 

According to ark 937 official servers exist. 

Therefore 454 servers will remain. 

If anyone wants to you are welcome to use this excel file of killed servers and then cross check it with those that will remain :-) 

Wiped Servers.xlsx

Funny if this is accurate which i dont doubt what the heck happened to only killing the bottom 10% of servers. Looks like almost half the servers are getting killed

On 8/24/2017 at 2:46 PM, slavojchomsky said:

Quick update. 

483 servers are being taken down. 

According to ark 937 official servers exist. 

Therefore 454 servers will remain. 

If anyone wants to you are welcome to use this excel file of killed servers and then cross check it with those that will remain :-) 

Wiped Servers.xlsx

LOL was 10%, then they said 33%, and THAT looks like a little more than HALF to me!

I am going to assume that Wild Card has a competent communications manager. So, from the tone of the message, that is what servers will be wiped as opposed to what servers will remain and not offering customer support the clear message between the lines is legacy is significantly de-prioritized.  I think how WC communicates gives us an inkling of future policy decisions towards legacy servers if my analysis of the tone of the message is correct.  

1 hour ago, lvirusl said:

Are you that dense? Over 50% of official PC servers were taken out. More then just dead servers bud. Servers that had 20-30 people on consistently. Maybe read a thread that has been posted in the forums over the last 24 hours.

Ok, relax man :) The PC server list was not the one I was looking at since I do not play it on PC (although I have it for PC). I will go look at it. If 25 people are consistently on then I understand the issue. Maybe PC has many more servers than console, hence why more of them are closing.

Sorry to hear that about 755. I had some fun times on that server. Not sure if you remember me but I was your neighbor for awhile (Rock Lobster). You both were awesome players always were nice to everyone. Sad to see that WC is losing such loyal and enthusiastic players. I also just started playing again and , while my island server is gonna remain as a legacy server, i cant bring myself to even log on anymore and invest more time into a server that might be deleted at any moment. I'm gonna wait unit the 29th and start fresh on a new cluster. So if you ever change your mind join me.

Archived