Boss Arena Exploits

Jen

9 hours ago, XvInsanityXv said:

Part of the issue is that only the Rex and Therizino (almost identical base-line stats to the Rex, but with added fire-resistance due to being a herbivore) are the only viable DPS-choices for the bosses, due to all "special effects" being disabled versus the bosses. We tried an Allosaurus packs (that we'd bred to have similar health to our rexes), but discovered that the bosses were immune to the Rend attack. So for all their faster attack speed, despite lower base damage, it just didn't matter. 

We tried gigantopithecus with gas masks versus the Broodmother, but apparently her poison goes through gas masks (it was something we tested after we found out gas masks do work with Poison Wyverns). 

Our test with the Pachyrhino didn't go horribly against the Broodmother, since it worked on the mobs, but it didn't really help versus the mobs on other maps. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some real simple things to think about,  

1. Maybe allow gigas to fight boss's.

2. Maybe have unlimited time to prepare allowing tribes to set up then they touch a artifact in the middle of the arena and then the boss spawns and timer starts.

3. Allow building structures to be placed and auto turrets. 

4. Reduced damage is a must.

5. Reduce a small amount of health. 

6. Or allow more time. 

7. Maybe allow other In game creatures such as Alpha's (Rex, Mosa, Carno, Squid) to drop some element.

Farming element only killing boss's isn't fair for all the medium tribes that are not mega tribe status with multiple servers. Make it so if a server bans together they can actually keep their tek shields up considering it costs 10 element every hour when no ones going to use it on its lower ranges and server raids last days....

All around maybe make bosses drop more element and have creatures that can drop element in game as well. Your allowing only mega tribes to reap the benefits of tek. Allow other players to blast these guys off their servers give ppl a fighting chance.

12 minutes ago, Arkforlife said:

Here are some real simple things to think about,  

1. Maybe allow gigas to fight boss's.

2. Maybe have unlimited time to prepare allowing tribes to set up then they touch a artifact in the middle of the arena and then the boss spawns and timer starts.

3. Allow building structures to be placed and auto turrets. 

4. Reduced damage is a must.

5. Reduce a small amount of health. 

6. Or allow more time. 

7. Maybe allow other In game creatures such as Alpha's (Rex, Mosa, Carno, Squid) to drop some element.

Farming element only killing boss's isn't fair for all the medium tribes that are not mega tribe status with multiple servers. Make it so if a server bans together they can actually keep their tek shields up considering it costs 10 element every hour when no ones going to use it on its lower ranges and server raids last days....

All around maybe make bosses drop more element and have creatures that can drop element in game as well. Your allowing only mega tribes to reap the benefits of tek. Allow other players to blast these guys off their servers give ppl a fighting chance.

Yeah that would make the game very easy. Way too easy actually 

8 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

How would leveling the playing field make PVP easy? Think about it...if the gameplay was faster-paced (aka. it's a bit easier to build up) then what you have is more people fighting for alpha status. Doesn't that sound more fun than one constant struggle against one powerhouse? Doesn't fighting more often for top dog status with things that are more 'disposable' because they are easier to acquire (not TOO easy of course) sound way more fun? To me it does...

Also I'm chiming in on the glitch where if you are mounted when entering and exiting is still a thing. Please fix that =\ entering and exiting arena's is a nightmare.

17 minutes ago, Ulta said:

How would leveling the playing field make PVP easy? Think about it...if the gameplay was faster-paced (aka. it's a bit easier to build up) then what you have is more people fighting for alpha status. Doesn't that sound more fun than one constant struggle against one powerhouse? Doesn't fighting more often for top dog status with things that are more 'disposable' because they are easier to acquire (not TOO easy of course) sound way more fun? To me it does...

Also I'm chiming in on the glitch where if you are mounted when entering and exiting is still a thing. Please fix that =\ entering and exiting arena's is a nightmare.

There is no fighting for alpha anymore. Those days are long gone and past. That just doesn't happen anymore. There is only one way to level the playing field. One and one only

2 hours ago, Cataclisto said:

Ugh, this thread needs its replies hidden, people are going to give me a lot of hate for saying this on the next line

Remove the Archaeopteryx from entering all the boss arenas along with parachutes, people use these to fly into the walls of different arenas and shoot the bosses with no effort. Its considered a common tactic and abused for ape runs, mostly cause no one likes getting dismounted.

Now to redeem myself...
The damage should scale based on the party that's attacking it and give rewards that scale to every player or dino based on the effort they put in and level it spawns at (low level players and dinos, 2 element each per person if they kill the easy spider if they are all low levels, something like that)

players with 15-20 average rex that are highest level tamed get wiped out in less then 3 min on hard with spider, just happened to me and my friends last night. Things like this encourage other people to use the exploits because its not possible for the average tribe to do these fights without them.

Also a suggestion for the awful bugged teleport system itself, have a new tab in the obelisk where we preload our dinos into the arena (and allow them to have all their gear on them when loaded too, lasts for 20min then spits them back out) Once we activate portal all of our tames are teleported in from the list and arranged neatly in formation and waiting for us when we enter, like a army ready for a fight. This way we wouldn't have the drama or bugged dinos stuck together and get wiped before we find our tame.

Thought archa method was patched? If not I need to breed archa with cool colors for sale. 

Would love boss fights to not start instantly and do the "artifact" method like a poster above said.

another idea. Just spitballing here, is have a total weight system instead of 560 drag weight max. If you want to bring a giga in, fine, but be prepared to budget your "weight" maybe you can't wear fur armor because you spent all ur "weight" on that giga and bullets

Allow special effects on bosses, like allo bleed, even if it has to be capped

28 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Yeah making element actually farmable for big tribes with only 1 server and probably max 6-10 active members will ruin the game. Because that would mean a mega tribe with 30+ ppl couldn't just steam roll your base because you can actually power up your base with tek turrets, generators and tek shields. Oh and they could actually have a full base and turret towers made of tek walls and such. Just don't make the game easier for all the regular tribes and ppl who play the game.

Listen if there are any Ark Admins reading this I get tek is a end game thing and you wanted it really hard to get and make but it's like that for the average joes which is  everyone who is not a mega tribe with 3 + servers and 20+ active members. it's the only thing tribes with only 1 main server and maybe a small scortched can defend them selves from these mega tribes who have complete bases already of tek. You have to make it fair. You have to give a alpha tribe of a server and whole server a fighting chance and using tek as defense is the only way to stop an assault of 20+ brontos gigas and all other sorts of pain. If a mega tribe raided my server I'd be screwed and not because I don't have tek it's because I can't afford it it costs to much element to power everything let alone make the hundreds of structures for my Dino pen and base. I couldn't even fly around in my tek suit because the element I have would be spared in the tek shield which takes 10 an hour because when your getting raided whose not going to use it on high .and using it on tek Rex's and rifles which cosume a lot of element. 

Devs seriously think about this and everyone else.  

4 minutes ago, Arkforlife said:

Yeah making element actually farmable for big tribes with only 1 server and probably max 6-10 active members will ruin the game. Because that would mean a mega tribe with 30+ ppl couldn't just steam roll your base because you can actually power up your base with tek turrets, generators and tek shields. Oh and they could actually have a full base and turret towers made of tek walls and such. Just don't make the game easier for all the regular tribes and ppl who play the game.

Listen if there are any Ark Admins reading this I get tek is a end game thing and you wanted it really hard to get and make but it's like that for the average joes which is  everyone who is not a mega tribe with 3 + servers and 20+ active members. it's the only thing tribes with only 1 main server and maybe a small scortched can defend them selves from these mega tribes who have complete bases already of tek. You have to make it fair. You have to give a alpha tribe of a server and whole server a fighting chance and using tek as defense is the only way to stop an assault of 20+ brontos gigas and all other sorts of pain. If a mega tribe raided my server I'd be screwed and not because I don't have tek it's because I can't afford it it costs to much element to power everything let alone make the hundreds of structures for my Dino pen and base. I couldn't even fly around in my tek suit because the element I have would be spared in the tek shield which takes 10 an hour because when your getting raided whose not going to use it on high .and using it on tek Rex's and rifles which cosume a lot of element. 

I totally get you. The thing is this game isn't about alphas anymore. Mega are the new alphas and alphas are the new smaller tribes that get wiped by the alphas.

nobody really cared(back before crossark) if an alpha wiped all the little tribes. People just said to get over it. Now with megas wiping alphas nobody really cares about that either.

all players are responsible for how this game went in the direction it did. It's not the devs fault at all.

i think the bosses are perfect they way they are and that it is awesome that it is hard to get element. The only thing that needs to change with bosses is to get rid of the exploits.

i don't like telling people this but unfortunately I have to. You need to join a bigger tribe. I know that's what people said when alphas were top dog but now it is Megas, so yeah it might be time to join a mega

13 minutes ago, Arkforlife said:

You do realize that Making it easier for everyone will also make it easier for them to "steam roll" your base since they can get the element just as easy as you do. What people don't understand is they really want to make it easier for smaller tribes but in order to do that you're making it a lot easier for bigger tribes. 

25 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

There is no fighting for alpha anymore. Those days are long gone and past. That just doesn't happen anymore. There is only one way to level the playing field. One and one only

He is honestly right. If you want a leveled playing field there is only one way. 

Now on topic in all honestly the bosses are a bit to hard for larger tribes because boss stats are a bit OP. 

11 hours ago, himynameiseugen said:

I agree with XvInsanityXv,

the current bosses are almost impossible to defeat by normal means.

Maybe the problem is with you WildCard and not us. Instead of fixing the only few ways of actually killing these bosses,  try and RETHINK the bosses altogether so they can be actually KILLABLE without losing our minds and time just to get frustrated.

Just few hours ago we lost 10 rexes with 26k HP and 600 DMG (60-80armor saddles) in a matter of literally seconds against the medium dragon. And yes the tuso spawn is horrible on center (even if they spawn they get glitched in the textures), and sharks on island are non existent.

so its not just me Megalodon are very rare im seeing maybe one or two when looking down an entire coast. granted they shouldnt spawn like they did back in the day but as it is i can take a dip into the water off any given beach and see nothing sept maybe 1 manta or a swarm of cnidaria meanwhile turtles are swimming out into the middle of the ocean

Newest rebalance of Broodmother.
Gamma version now has 500k instead of over a million HP.
Her acid spit now does 285 damage per acid ball that hits you. Arena has been changed. No more trench. Pillars instead.
Alpha version was buffed a bit. 1450 damage per spit instead of 1250. Still at 2.3 million HP every fight.

The Gamma version is a lot more manageable for smaller tribes now. I brought 5 Rexes and a Yutyrannus, roaring from a distance all the time. Easily cleared her. If they had been ridden with imprinted riders the fight would've been over in no time. Hopefully this trend will carry over to the other bosses, so the Easy version will be doable for the little man and the Alphas will be for large tribes.

And I have an exploit to report. The Dragon can walk straight through the only thing resembling cover. Freaking cheater! :Jerbmad:

Hello all,

I guess I am entering this because of the reference to the video below or above. I am sure that the exploit is the three following things.

I Breading Rex in water.

II Leveling Rex in BM-boss fight on easy. Once 10000XP or more the Rex army can go to all the other fights, (even if some are lost with the dragon cuz of bad management). That is: BM on easy, it is too EASY, its a feast.

III Building in caves so that only one tribe can have access and/or only one exit/entrance.

I could give more things that are wrong but about every fight I have done 3 minutes is going to sorting Rex getting the right settings and so on. In the video I think he could done much better using the Deodon correctly and just firing once at the BM-boss from the start.

For everyone it is harder because of the time limit. Errors are made by the very best players!

Regards,

Marcus

4 hours ago, NeverUnknown said:

I pretty much agree with everyone here about the boss fights being too much. I really don't care if I have to do a boss fight to learn the Tekgrams. I don't care if I have to kill a boss to get the element to craft the structures. But why are you making us farm the element to power a Generator? You think an advanced generator could require something else other than the resource to craft it. If we had an easier resource to farm to power a generator, it would save a lot of electric cable, thus making bases easier to load in. Also, people would actually craft underwater bases since they wouldn't have to farm element every week just to power the single generator down there.

Ark is a farming game. A farming game can only be so much fun before it gets tiring. Make the farming aspect easier for your players. Then maybe we wouldn't have to resort to exploits to do it. 

Agreed! 

Also would like to add that, there needs to be another way to get element other than fighting the boss. Maybe get it by crafting things together. Like obsidian and paste and electronics together? Just a thought....

But seriously, why in the world would any player go out of there way to purposefully tell you how to "fix" the ONLY way to actually beat the bosses? Why the hell would we do that?!

As of now my complaints of these boss fights are the most effective method to down these bosses and get element are that cheesing the boss is effective but required. Simply stated, the bosses are extremely difficult to down with the tools we are given. The damage and health of bosses is too great of a barrier to overcome in the current system and if it is to remain the same, the HP and damage need to be adjusted. However, many people including myself do not enjoy the current system. The short and sweet version is that we have too little tools to fight these bosses and the boss fights need to be more complex. My suggestions for tools will come a bit later in this post but the bosses need phases or changes in behavior at certain conditions of the fight (%HP left, enrage mechanics, players alive, etc. Force players to change their tactics as the fight progresses like watch out for this new ability at this % of the bosses health left or at this phase we need to attack from range. This would make fights more challenging but much more interesting.

My next suggestion is one that I believe is an absolute must. Wildcard I implore you guys to create some sort of tank mechanic for boss fights. A mechanic like this would allow of huge amounts of diversity in boss fighting tactics and would allow you guys as developers to come up with new interactions and ways to incorporate dinos into boss fights that would otherwise be unusable. I know the ARK playerbase is a very creative one and in my short 6 months on this game I have seen people come up with base ideas and fighting tactics I would have never thought of. If you give us the mechanics like tank interactions (The Yutyr and Daeodon are a huge step in the right direction!), the players will find reliable ways to beat these bosses without using exploits.

Just a few ways to do this are:

1. Allow Megatherium's ability to have some interaction in the Broodmother fight (Must kill adds to get a stacking damage boost, adjust buff duration as needed for balance)

2. Allow Allosaur bleed damage (But balance it for bosses of course)

3. Make Rex/Spino roars force the boss to attack you (Idea for a tanking mechanic)

4. Allow some dino abilities (like Rhino charge, maybe give trike a similar ability) to interrupt Megapithicus rock throw or dragon fire breath

5. Change some dino abilities to allow us to stun/slow the bosses (The duration would only be 2-3 seconds and have diminishing returns to prevent abuse)

6. Add environmental elements to damage bosses (Ballista turret with limited uses in Dragon arena, boulders on top of the bridge that can be dropped on Broodmother, oil jars that we can spill to slow down Megapithicus and adds which can then be ignited for damage)

Thats all I can think of for right now, i'll edit this post if I come up with any other ideas! I think I speak for most of the community when I say I want these bosses to fun and interesting. If I am going to be spending hours of breeding for these fights I want the end result to be a positive experience that makes it all worth it.

Edit1: Grammar

I started an account here just to post on this post. I've been playing Ark forever, literally. Since the day Ark came out, and I've stayed with the game through thick and thin.

But when it comes to bosses, they are very near impossible with any normal dinos, period. I play on a private server, but watched as a few other tribes bred rexes with the best stats tameable. They went around four generations in before they finally decided it was time. They went in to EASY broodmother, and were wiped within minutes. Even though it was a private server, the levels and stat gains, ect. were all tuned as official. We even rolled the server back and went in with them, and watched as they were wiped, again. We considered changing settings in the server, but that led to a ton of brainstorming and eventually we gave up. We didn't know there were any exploits at the time, but if there were we would have tried them. Because doing this normally just doesn't work.

That being said, we were also running an Extinction Core (mod) server. Nearly -everyone- migrated over there, and after some careful taming and breeding of alphas, we were able to progress and organize boss fight nights and eventually take them out one by one. I'm talking like 5-8 people all on alpha dinos with the max amount of dinos to take in, and sometimes, we still lost. It was literally like a WoW raid. It was fun, but it goes to show how borked normal boss fights are. In utter honestly, maybe try taking a look at a balance mod like Extinction Core, and trying something like that, Ark devs. Because it took time to organize everyone online at the same time, what dinos worked, what dinos people rode in, ect. And we were able to work at it and progress. But it took a mod that added tameable alpha dinos of all types, with boosted stats, ect. to even think about doing that. The original, normal server was all but forgotten. Everyone left to play on the modded server.

So devs, please consider something like this. I'm nearing 6k hours in game. I've seen it all, the bugs, the amazing new dinos, ect. It shouldn't take a balance mod that changing to make something possible. Please, do a favor to us, and listen to your players this one time. We want to be able to beat these bosses. Instead of this, try more balancing. Maybe look at a dino buff. These exploits (from what I read) are just the ways people have HAD to figure out on how to beat these impossible bosses.

Bosses need realistic balance. As many said before, it's impossible to kill them as they are intended (if any). Not everybody plays in a 1000 member tribe that rules over 100 servers and can do bosses with 70 riders at a time each controlling a dino / etc. This has become annoying (with the PVP being broken to the PVE bosses being impossible to kill).

2 hours ago, psychosaurus409 said:

so its not just me Megalodon are very rare im seeing maybe one or two when looking down an entire coast. granted they shouldnt spawn like they did back in the day but as it is i can take a dip into the water off any given beach and see nothing sept maybe 1 manta or a swarm of cnidaria meanwhile turtles are swimming out into the middle of the ocean

People said the ocean was too hard so they put training wheels on it lol

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Quibblecue said:

But when it comes to bosses, they are very near impossible with any normal dinos, period. I play on a private server, but watched as a few other tribes bred rexes with the best stats tameable. They went around four generations in before they finally decided it was time. They went in to EASY broodmother, and were wiped within minutes. Even though it was a private server, the levels and stat gains, ect. were all tuned as official. We even rolled the server back and went in with them, and watched as they were wiped, again. We considered changing settings in the server, but that led to a ton of brainstorming and eventually we gave up. We didn't know there were any exploits at the time, but if there were we would have tried them. Because doing this normally just doesn't work.

I find that rather unlikely, as I've seen my fair share of official server players down Easy brood mother up to medium Dragon on nothing more than 150 perfect tamed rexes. Something is clearly off if your people are 4 generations into breeding their rexes and die to the very first of ARK's boss creatures.

16 hours ago, XvInsanityXv said:

The expliots are the only things that make the bosses killable, Dragon still glitches out and wont land he will just tap the ground and take off right away again

The megapithicus you cant take rexs into because his boulder throw just causes far too much damage as it ricochets around then *explodes* off a dino

The broodmothers insane health pool and sweeping attack decimates most tribes attempts

Or in a case of all 3, you run out of time, using exploits on bosses is (unfortunately) the only way to beat them

And ontop of that, Tuso spawns are incredibly non existant on the center so it makes it near impossible to actually DO boss fights in general, if you wanna help to improve boss fights and make them more appealing for the community, Take away the the megapithicus ability to spam chuck those boulders, you guys reduced the brood mothers health so thats a start, and make it so the dragon actually lands and that his burn attack doesnt take out a 30k health rex with a 94 armor ascendant saddle in 1:26

All that being said i understand boss fights are endgame, they SHOULD be very difficult BUT not next to impossible.

My suggestion to wildcard is use a repurposed official server and spawn in rexs with around 30k health and 750 melee, do the boss fight, and see for yourselves what needs to be fixed about them

Well said. I was hoping for a comment like this when I first saw this topic and so I was more than pleased. You hit the nail on the head.

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived