Ark Ascended Questions

Justin990406

Eh, that's what I feared. Ark hasn't been fun since 2016 lol.

I know this is a bit confrontational, but it really looks like you started this thread just to prompt a discussion that you could follow up on with negative comments regarding the game/developer.  

I'm falling right into your trap, but I'm going to say it anyway.

if it's not fun, then don't play.  simple as that.  move on to another game you enjoy more.

if you don't feel it's worth it to buy the new version, then you don't have to.

I however am excited that they are re-releasing the game on a newer engine.  there are two benefits for me.

first, I believe that it will prolong the life of the game.  all games have an ending of life where the number of players reaches a point where so few people play it that it can no longer be viewed as a multi-player game.  by releasing it on an updated graphics engine I feel it will prolong that inevitable date.  some people may choose to not pay for the upgrade and there's nothing wrong with that.  others will.

secondly I'm sure that there will be some quality of life improvements in the new version.  probably some bug fixes.  sure, maybe they won't fix them all.  at the end of hte day it's the same game and won't change too dramatically, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Genics said:

Eh, that's what I feared. Ark hasn't been fun since 2016 lol.

For me it HAS been fun. Lots of fun ............. I progressed from online (2017) to small tribes online to running my own server(s)
But @Pipinghot has (my opinion) nailed it. There is bugger all new in the remastered edition! I have over time (and with exchange rate fluctuations) spent maybe at max $40 on this game. For which I have had maybe 6 years of enjoyment. A VERY good return on investment. But I ain't played Ark much any of this year- mostly because of conflicting stories coming out of wild card. And the chances of me spending another $40 on a game that I can still (on my own server) play very well is almost nil. Why would I do that? New pictures - not a damn! New whole bunch of other claimed stuff, mmmm maybe but it would have to be "game changing" stuff - not power point advertising claims.

Ha Ha I ain't even posted on the forums for a long while, so you pulled me out of that hiatus ;) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stewbawl said:

first, I believe that it will prolong the life of the game.  all games have an ending of life where the number of players reaches a point where so few people play it that it can no longer be viewed as a multi-player game.  by releasing it on an updated graphics engine I feel it will prolong that inevitable date.  some people may choose to not pay for the upgrade and there's nothing wrong with that.  others will.

There are MANY games out there that pre-date Ark and are still going strong as an online kinda thing - I played Diablo II online like 2 weeks ago!

12 minutes ago, Stewbawl said:

secondly I'm sure that there will be some quality of life improvements in the new version.  probably some bug fixes.  sure, maybe they won't fix them all.  at the end of hte day it's the same game and won't change too dramatically, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

That is what I think will make or break the remaster. If it comes out with a stuff that makes the game well better, OK cool , I may throw a few bob at it. If it's just better pictures and a couple of (sorry to say but very OP and mostly rubbish) community created new creatures - well probably not.

Edited by DirkInSA

On 8/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, Stewbawl said:

I know this is a bit confrontational, but it really looks like you started this thread just to prompt a discussion that you could follow up on with negative comments regarding the game/developer.  

if it's not fun, then don't play.  simple as that.  move on to another game you enjoy more.

I however am excited that they are re-releasing the game on a newer engine.  there are two benefits for me.

Oh I don't play it lol. It had the chance to be GOTY But it got screwed up so bad. Great game Idea. Horrible Execution of the game itself.

I want them to make the pvp aspect fun again. No one has fun when there's a aimbot that can turn off your generator's, and go through the mesh. You get banned even mentioning it, in order for ark to thrive it needs to: 

Hopefully fix the "Mesh" part of ark for good.

Fix the Cheater situation.

Yeah yeah, I know you can't fix all cheaters. But the way it is now, almost every server you could join (At least when the servers were still active) I guarantee more than half of whatever server pop was, used a third party exploit of some sort. 

They constantly made the game unbalanced with crazy dino's and such. I would love the new engine of ark to fix MOST of these issues. I will be checking it out upon release..Which is when anyway?

• Like 1

Trying hard to add some voice of positivity in a life is rough sort of way. Definitely have my own share of negative feelings to what's happened, but for months now negativity has dominated these forums. The feelings aren't unwarranted, but they also aren't inconsequential. 

My biggest gripe is the company's failure to say anything about the server shutdown on steam. To this very day I still see new players jumping into the online scene who are completely clueless that their hard work will disappear in a matter of month. That is absolutely unacceptable...borderline marketing fraud. 

Am I upset about paying for Ark Ascended? I guess so, but if the remaster can bring some life back into the community for the next 1-2 years then put me down. I've donated to kickstarters and patreons for games that I've had faith in, which never even came to fruition and the community outcry was much less than what we see here. 

As far as ark 2 being delayed I am actually happy. Take the time to make a good game and in the meantime do what you can to keep the first game active. 

The community outcry here is what bothers me the most. Everyone is so damn negative now, I want to come on here to see some fun discussions about the game and maybe some healthy criticism to influence the marketing team, but really it's just a flow of little baby gamer tears on here. If you are that broke up over the situation, then seriously just go. Your lingering negativity is killing the forums and game faster than the company's shady business practices. 

I would like to see these forums get back to a healthy fun state of people posting their experiences and questions again. 

(Not referring to anyone specific in this post. A general rant on the community as a whole right now.)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Logan96 said:

but for months now negativity has dominated these forums.

Which is entirely the responsibility and fault of WildCard.

Players should not be complaining at each other about negativity, every bit of that negativity is warranted and WC deserves it. I'm not suggesting that everyone is obligated to be unhappy with WC, but no one should be complaining about other players being negative, it's happening for good reason.

(Note: I'm not saying you're specifically doing that, your post was just talking about what you'd like to see)

I would like to see these forums get back to a healthy fun state of people posting their experiences and questions again.

That would be great. I would also like to see WC ditch their pattern of deceptive practices & marketing lies, and to put a price on ASA that's more appropriate for the reality of the product they're offering. This is a $10-$15 DLC at most, even the "reduced" price they've announced is significantly overpriced.

I'd like to see the same thing you would, but that will only happen if WC steps up and does the right thing rather than continuing their campaign of misinformation and overpricing. 

(Not referring to anyone specific in this post. A general rant on the community as a whole right now.)

And, for what it's worth, my response isn't really about you or even directed at you, you're not one of the people who has been criticizing people for being unhappy with WC. Even though I'm responding to your post the points I'm making are directed at the people who don't get it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Which is entirely the responsibility and fault of WildCard.

Players should not be complaining at each other about negativity, every bit of that negativity is warranted and WC deserves it. I'm not suggesting that everyone is obligated to be unhappy with WC, but no one should be complaining about other players being negative, it's happening for good reason.

(Note: I'm not saying you're specifically doing that, your post was just talking about what you'd like to see)

That would be great. I would also like to see WC ditch their pattern of deceptive practices & marketing lies, and to put a price on ASA that's more appropriate for the reality of the product they're offering. This is a $10-$15 DLC at most, even the "reduced" price they've announced is significantly overpriced.

I'd like to see the same thing you would, but that will only happen if WC steps up and does the right thing rather than continuing their campaign of misinformation and overpricing. 

And, for what it's worth, my response isn't really about you or even directed at you, you're not one of the people who has been criticizing people for being unhappy with WC. Even though I'm responding to your post the points I'm making are directed at the people who don't get it.

You can single me out if you want, without the passive aggressive-"not you specifically thing". I was referring to select individuals and also trying my best to avoid focusing on one person, not because I want to protect their feelings, but because there are too many to quote. Clearly you are focusing me with the quote, which is absolutely fine. We can have a chat without the nonsense. 

1. I absolutely should complain about overall negativity, It's contagious and beaten by awareness, which is why I brought it up. Every bit of negativity is NOT warranted. You of all people should know how damn good this game is. To undermine past victories due to current failures sends us into a stone age. I do not dispute it is not happening for good reason, but look at the end result here. The community will end up with no servers, no ark asa and no ark 2. Is that what you want? 

2. I too would like everything you listed. 

3. Yeah again...doubling down on number 2 lol. Only thing different here is that you added one extra demand-stepping up. Out of curiosity what does an acceptable form of stepping up look like to you in the corporate world? 

4. You either really didn't like me trying to avoid singling people and are taking an extremely passive aggressive approach, or you are genuinely concerned about my feelings. If it is the latter have no fear, I have braved the life's labyrinth on Ragnorak...no more feelings to be hurt after such a dungeon. 

(AKA-Lets disagree, but still be chill yeah?) 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Vaiks said:

Does anybody knows if I still have to install that Malware called Overwolf if I don't choose to run premium mods? If I stick with free mods only will it be necessary?

More than likely it won't matter. All mods will run through Overwolf. 

21 hours ago, Logan96 said:

You can single me out if you want, without the passive aggressive-"not you specifically thing". I was referring to select individuals and also trying my best to avoid focusing on one person, not because I want to protect their feelings, but because there are too many to quote. Clearly you are focusing me with the quote, which is absolutely fine.

Nope, I was completely sincere. If you choose to believe I was being passive-aggressively disingenuous that's your choice, but you're wrong.

You've seen enough of my posts to know that if I intend to call someone out that's what I do, I don't hide behind language, there's nothing passive-aggressive about it. How many times have you seen me go out of my way to reassure someone that it's not a you-specifically-thing? Answer: Almost never.

We can have a chat without the nonsense.

I would have thought so, but if you're going to choose to disbelieve a deliberately crafted disclaimer then it's hard to keep nonsense at bay.

Edited by Pipinghot

1. I absolutely should complain about overall negativity

I agree, but you should complain about the root cause of the negativity, not the fact that people respond to that negativity.

If someone deliberately stomps on your foot and you complain, you're not going to accept it if a third person standing next to you tells you to stop your negativity. You would rightly point out that your negativity is a legitimate response to the original offense of having your foot stomped on.

Blaming the aggrieved party for their negativity is always a failed argument right from the start.

It's contagious and beaten by awareness

While I agree that negativity contagious, I argue that in this case it's caused by awareness, which is as it should be.

The more people are aware of WildCards dishonesty and pattern of grifting their players the more negativity there will be, which is exactly what should happen. Scammers and grifters thrive when people don't speak up. Lying and grifting people should result in negativity, and more people need to be aware that WC is running a grift on them.

You of all people should know how damn good this game is.

I know how good the idea behind this game it (and it is, it's a brilliant concept). But I also know just how dishonest and generally terrible a company WC is, has been from the very beginning (it's not just recently) and how they've created a bad, and often terrible, implementation of that idea.

WC created a game that prints money no matter how bad of a company they are and no matter how bad their implementation is, which is a problem unto itself. It was bad enough over the years when they kept released poor implementation of their game, repeatedly, but now now they've crossed into the territory of running a scam on their own players. We're talking about a company that fails to even treat their players as well as Electronic Arts does, and which is about as low as you can set the bar.

I know how good the idea is, and I blame WC's owners and (mis)management for the fact that the game is terrible compared to the idea.

To undermine past victories due to current failures sends us into a stone age. I do not dispute it is not happening for good reason, but look at the end result here. The community will end up with no servers, no ark asa and no ark 2. Is that what you want?

Those faults fall squarely on the shoulders of WC, not on players and certainly not on the players who are complaining about WC's conduct.

If we end up with "no servers, no ark asa and no ark 2" that would be entirely the fault of WC's owners and senior management, not one single player could be blamed for that in any way.

Anyone who's blaming players for the negativity is blaming the wrong people.

2. I too would like everything you listed.

Good to see we can find agreements among our disagreements. :)

3. Yeah again...doubling down on number 2 lol. Only thing different here is that you added one extra demand-stepping up. Out of curiosity what does an acceptable form of stepping up look like to you in the corporate world?

Well, "in the corporate world" is too vague, so I'll just stick to the present case.

It means pricing ASA appropriately for what really is, essentially a DLC ($10-$15) and to release it as a full product rather than pretending it's am Early Access product again.

No matter what you think about the price it's such insulting dishonestly to classify ASA as Early Access that every single player (and I mean that quite literally, every last person including you) should feel insulted by that level of garbage.

4. You either really didn't like me trying to avoid singling people and are taking an extremely passive aggressive approach, or you are genuinely concerned about my feelings. If it is the latter have no fear, I have braved the life's labyrinth on Ragnorak...no more feelings to be hurt after such a dungeon.

Haha, genuinely funny, made me LoL for real, thanks.

For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to protect your feelings, it was simply intended as full disclosure of intent. Take that how you wish.

16 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

I agree, but you should complain about the root cause of the negativity, not the fact that people respond to that negativity.

If someone deliberately stomps on your foot and you complain, you're not going to accept it if a third person standing next to you tells you to stop your negativity. You would rightly point out that your negativity is a legitimate response to the original offense of having your foot stomped on.

Blaming the aggrieved party for their negativity is always a failed argument right from the start.

While I agree that negativity contagious, I argue that in this case it's caused by awareness, which is as it should be.

The more people are aware of WildCards dishonesty and pattern of grifting their players the more negativity there will be, which is exactly what should happen. Scammers and grifters thrive when people don't speak up. Lying and grifting people should result in negativity, and more people need to be aware that WC is running a grift on them.

I know how good the idea behind this game it (and it is, it's a brilliant concept). But I also know just how dishonest and generally terrible a company WC is, has been from the very beginning (it's not just recently) and how they've created a bad, and often terrible, implementation of that idea.

WC created a game that prints money no matter how bad of a company they are and no matter how bad their implementation is, which is a problem unto itself. It was bad enough over the years when they kept released poor implementation of their game, repeatedly, but now now they've crossed into the territory of running a scam on their own players. We're talking about a company that fails to even treat their players as well as Electronic Arts does, and which is about as low as you can set the bar.

I know how good the idea is, and I blame WC's owners and (mis)management for the fact that the game is terrible compared to the idea.

Those faults fall squarely on the shoulders of WC, not on players and certainly not on the players who are complaining about WC's conduct.

If we end up with "no servers, no ark asa and no ark 2" that would be entirely the fault of WC's owners and senior management, not one single player could be blamed for that in any way.

Anyone who's blaming players for the negativity is blaming the wrong people.

Good to see we can find agreements among our disagreements. :)

Well, "in the corporate world" is too vague, so I'll just stick to the present case.

It means pricing ASA appropriately for what really is, essentially a DLC ($10-$15) and to release it as a full product rather than pretending it's am Early Access product again.

No matter what you think about the price it's such insulting dishonestly to classify ASA as Early Access that every single player (and I mean that quite literally, every last person including you) should feel insulted by that level of garbage.

Haha, genuinely funny, made me LoL for real, thanks.

For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to protect your feelings, it was simply intended as full disclosure of intent. Take that how you wish.

So back when HOD was banned for exposing mesh locations this community was in an uproar as well. As I recall the overall sentiment was negative as well, however the more frequent forum users and moderators came off as being fairly annoyed at the outrage, especially after HOD was unbanned. Statements such as "He is unbanned now, get over it" were made.

So if we put that into the context of our current situation it would mean that the "Get over it" mentality should occur if they were to price the DLC to your value and maybe apologize. The negativity I am most upset about has been going on longer than this current outcry, and it will continue to grow even if your demands are met. I think this is because the company's reputation has been ruined for quite a while. 

You are right, the negativity is warranted, but what's ironic is that it's not companys failings that have pushed me away from the community, but rather this overarching negativity. I am still upset about what is happening to the game, but at the end of the day I really want to get off work and be able to come here to chat with some cool people about a game we all enjoy.

I think your sentiment and points are valid and make sense as well as the rest of the communities take, however it has also turned this community into a negative part of my life, which I no longer have a desire to be a part of.  Hopefully at some point that will change and I can chip in again with fun tips and stories about the game, but I doubt it. Negativity is as I've said-contagious and this forum has transformed into endless posts of rants. 

With all of that said it has been a pleasure, but it's time to check out. 

Edited by Logan96

What ruined Ark Survival Evolved were the hacks, duplications, and mesh issues. The only thing I want to know is if they are working on and dedicating time to solving these massive problems that they could never fix in the game, and ultimately, it's what ended up killing Ark.

Why do they talk so much about how the new Ark will look, but personally, that's the least of my concerns. Will they solve the issues, or will it remain the same game where cheaters were the kings and bans were almost non-existent?

If they don't fix the issues, the game will be unfair for the players on Xbox and PSN. Will there be an efficient system to report problems and have them resolved? I'm just looking for a game that's fair and enjoyable for everyone.

On 8/12/2023 at 4:42 PM, Logan96 said:

So back when HOD was banned for exposing mesh locations this community was in an uproar as well. As I recall the overall sentiment was negative as well, however the more frequent forum users and moderators came off as being fairly annoyed at the outrage, especially after HOD was unbanned.

Which means nothing in terms of the current conversation. That's a bizarre argument you're trying to set up, the past does not control the present, nor the future.

If someone punches you in the face once and you forgive them, there's no reason to assume or expect that you would forgive them if they did it a second time. In fact, if someone punched you in the faced a second time you would be more outraged than you were the first time.

The past isn't something that just disappears, and it certainly doesn't dictate how people behave in the present. If anything, repeated offenses are a reason to be more outraged, and for longer.

Statements such as "He is unbanned now, get over it" were made.

And those statements were silly at best, stupid at worst.

No one (not you, not me, not gamers, not the general public, not anyone) ever just "gets over it" the instant an offense is remedied, especially if the offense should never have occurred in the first place. Injuries, especially malicious injuries like the kind WC committed, don't just instantly disappear. The truth is WC would never have unbanned him if it wasn't for the volume of outrage they faced. That sort of malicious public behavior was deserving of ongoing simmering unhappiness among players.

A bad argument is always a bad argument, no matter when it was used and no matter who used it. That was a numbskull argument then and it would be a numbskull argument now.

So if we put that into the context of our current situation it would mean that the "Get over it" mentality should occur if they were to price the DLC to your value and maybe apologize.

Get over it? Yes. Apologize? Emphatically no, that's absurd.

If WC were to actually do what we're discussing, reverse their scam and charge a reasonable price, then yes the outrage would die down over time (and probably fairly quickly). But the very idea that anyone should apologize to a grifter just because the grifter gave in when they were caught is sheer nonsense.

Again, if you apply this argument to yourself you'll immediately see that it makes no sense. If someone stole your wallet, you caught them and they gave your wallet back to you there's no way in the world you would consider apologizing to them. No one apoligizes to the liar, the thief, the grifter or the con man who gets caught, nor should they, and neither would you.

The negativity I am most upset about has been going on longer than this current outcry, and it will continue to grow even if your demands are met. I think this is because the company's reputation has been ruined for quite a while.

And yet again, if that's true it's entirely WC's fault, not the fault of the players who are unhappy, complaining or negative.

WC has a long history of being a bad actor and treating their players poorly, which means people are forced to constantly keep one eye open and be ready to raise the alarm if they do it again. WC has not merely made a couple of mistakes, their entire company history is littered with dishonesty and shady behavior. Of course their reputation is ruined because they have ruined it with their own actions, repeatedly, spread out over the course of years. Any damage to their reputation is entirely deservered.

You are right, the negativity is warranted, but what's ironic is that it's not companys failings that have pushed me away from the community, but rather this overarching negativity.

You're repeating your same argument again. No matter what gets discussed you keep repeating (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'I know it's WC's fault, but I still want to complain about the negativity and blame the players instead of blaming WC'.

but at the end of the day I really want to get off work and be able to come here to chat with some cool people about a game we all enjoy.

Which you can still do. You could make that choice and it's your responsibility to do so if that's what you want.

Don't like negativity on the forums? Don't participate in negative thread and don't reply to negative posts, just ignore them and move on. No one is forcing you to read or reply to posts you don't like, so don't. Take responsibility for your choice. Just play the game and enjoy it, only participate in forum discussions that are the topics you want to participate in.

You've agreed (more than once) that the negativity is warranted, and yet you continue to blame the players rather than blaming WC who are the true culprits for the negativity. If you don't want to participate in the negativity then don't, that's a respectable choice, no one's forcing you to also be negative. But for you to be negative about other people being negative, especially when you agree that the negativity is warranted, is a pretty silly argument.

I think your sentiment and points are valid and make sense as well as the rest of the communities take, however it has also turned this community into a negative part of my life, which I no longer have a desire to be a part of.

Which I understand and support, if you don't want to be on the forums then don't. Or if you want to be on the forum but only participate in the positive threads, or at least the threads based on helping people with answers and information, then that's what you should do. Participate in the threads that satisfy your needs and ignore the ones that don't.

Hopefully at some point that will change and I can chip in again with fun tips and stories about the game, but I doubt it.

Those threads still exist. Although, to be fair, there are fewer of them for a couple of simple, obvious reasons - there are fewer new people who need help, and many players are inactive while they wait for things to shake out.

At some point in the future WC will publish ASA. Depending on what they do between now and that time, some number of people will leave the game & forums, and new ones will join, when that happens the forums will be back to business as usual. You can either wait until that time arrives or you can participate in the discussions that meet your needs until then.

Negativity is as I've said-contagious and this forum has transformed into endless posts of rants.

As long as WC keeps injecting that contagion into their players over and over again it will continue to exist. There are endless posts of rants because WC is an endless source of chicanery and actions that cause fresh new negativity on an ongoing basis. Again, put the blame where it belongs.

With all of that said it has been a pleasure, but it's time to check out. 

And understandable choice, if you need to check out for a while to make yourself happy then that sounds like a good decision.

Edited by Pipinghot

On 8/12/2023 at 11:48 AM, johnm81 said:

Has there been any comment on if characters in early release of asa will be wiped or will their progress remain?

Just consider ASA to be a new game. No progress occurs in a new game until you play it. There will be no character (or anything else) transfer from the current ARK to ASA.

Many of us enjoy the early game of each fresh start, but if you don't, then ASA may not be for you.

Edited by wildbill

On 8/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, Stewbawl said:

100% how I look at this game too. You are not alone, although it may not seem like it in these forums.

I like to think of these forums this way. Many people only show up here after they run into some problem and are looking for a solution. So most tend to come here with a problem, maybe already a bit pissed off about something. So negativity will tend to be the dominant thing you see here. People seem to love to blame problems they are having on anything but something they may have done to cause or contribute to a problem.

Personally, I don't mind it much, I try to sort through all the noise and find what is relevant. 

I too like playing ARK. It is still my favorite game. I actually work in the software business. So I seldom expect perfection, since I know how hard that is to achieve. Anyone not in the business seldom has any idea how flawed almost all software really is. Windows itself has thousands of documented bugs, but somehow people use it every day.

And yes, most companies making software (including games) are trying to make a profit doing it. I hope it stays that way at least until I retire :)

Edited by wildbill

On 8/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, Stewbawl said:

at the end of hte day it's the same game and won't change too dramatically

Which is pretty much the point of most people's dissatisfaction. It's not going to be a new game, but WC is going to charge people like it is one. If you want to support being ripped off I guess that's your choice, strange though it may be.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Which is pretty much the point of most people's dissatisfaction. It's not going to be a new game, but WC is going to charge people like it is one. If you want to support being ripped off I guess that's your choice, strange though it may be.

It is a new game, similar to how Atlas was a new game. Atlas was just the ARK code copied over to a new game with some new resources. Not a new game engine though, so maybe more a new game than Atlas was. Ya, some people felt ripped off then too. Some people are still playing it. I tried it, had fun, got my money worth from it and moved on.

Really, you buy it or don't. Up to each person. Sounds kind of stupid to even have to say that. It should be obvious that if you don't want to pay for something and feel you shouldn't be charged for it and it should be free instead, well then, you just don't buy it. 

Personally I'm just waiting for the first play through videos. Also reports of system requirements, etc. At that point I'll decide whether to buy it or not.

Also I might consider whether I want to see WC continue to make more games (like ARK 2). If no one buys ASA, I doubt they will be around to finish ARK 2.

Another factor is that I expect many mods to be ported over to ASA. If new versions and new mods only are available for ASA, I might buy ASA for that reason. I only play modded ARK, so that will also likely be a factor in people deciding to buy ASA or not.

What will influence me the least though, is all the negative comments in this forum. The forum has always been toxic as long as I can remember. I don't expect that to change so I will go on ignoring most of the stuff I read here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1