Otter taming...erm...

KrackenOne

4 hours ago, LycristKatkiller said:

PvE doesnt allow to pick up small dinos into the argies? DILO

I mean, the largest thing is a dilo

Sucks to be on PvE then I guess

However... you could try to lasso the otter and put it into a taming pen

I did build a taming pen and used flowers to trap it.   Salmon just blocks the otter completely.  As soon as I switched to regular fish (smaller) was able to tame it.

Gotta say the Otter > all for artifacts.  All that annoyance totally worth it.

I found it sometimes helps to go into crouch, approach the otter, and hold the fish just off to its side, so you can see both the otter and the fish... then slowly turn towards the otter. The fish then usually drags on the ground and out of the center of your view, long enough for the "Press E to feed" prompt to appear.

16 hours ago, Geneweave said:

It is easier to tame it in water. Not so easy to make it swim and stay there, though.

Probably easier but not easiest

try picking them up with the argy (not RMB but C)

Then you can fly the otter to the big fish and also carry a Jerk-Bird on your should to make super-taming fish

988163778b9661152b14e75a3b04129e.jpg
d9432faac13bd2d811a0a8b52e984981.jpg

I admit it took me a while to figure it out best

Disable ally-looking with such a large fish and get yourself on a foundation or a ramp to reach the argies mouth

1 hour ago, LycristKatkiller said:

Probably easier but not easiest

try picking them up with the argy (not RMB but C)

Then you can fly the otter to the big fish and also carry a Jerk-Bird on your should to make super-taming fish

988163778b9661152b14e75a3b04129e.jpg
d9432faac13bd2d811a0a8b52e984981.jpg

I admit it took me a while to figure it out best

Disable ally-looking with such a large fish and get yourself on a foundation or a ramp to reach the argies mouth

PvP server right?  My understanding is that only tames can be picked up on PvE

Argys can in fact pick up wild dinos on PvE. However, they can only pick up wild dinos with the special carry (C) on PvE. So things like compys, pegos, otters, lystros, etc can be picked up. As I'm typing this my argy has a lystro in it's beak hovering 20 feet above the ground. So yes you can use an argy on PvE to tame otters. Now if only I could get an argy onto AB to tame AB otters lol.

• 8 months later...
On 2/2/2019 at 7:57 AM, cyber4life said:

I hate taming otters - so timeconsuming and difficult lol

It's easier than you think. You just have to have your $#!+ together. 

The argy beak grab is a big part of it. If you have fish baskets and cryo pods you can pre-tame fish and store them for when you find a good otter. The most important thing is to have an Ichthyornis. Fish caught with an Ichthy give a huge taming bonus. You can get max TE on a 150 otter with 2 fish that are 1.5 or better. A 2.4 salmon caught with an Itchy will give you a good 83%. That said, fish bigger than 2.0 can get in the way and make it hard to feed it to the otter. This is why the beak hold is so important. 

Fish blocks prompt, high ping makes otter warp in triangle instead of swimming in circle, lots of spawns blocked. All that combines into frustrating taming experience.

Solution is easy imho - carried fish should have collision disabled so player would be able to interact with otter through it. We don't really need to see an otter, just be able to feed it. Bonus points for making carried fish semi-transparent though.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:34 AM, KrackenOne said:

PvP server right?  My understanding is that only tames can be picked up on PvE

you can pick up otter with the argy in the birds beak using C (default key) on PvE.  I've done it many of times.  You use to be able to grab snails and dung beetles as well, but I can't seem to grab dung beetles anymore, haven't tried a snail again yet.

I pick them up with the argy and park the bird near a rock I can walk up on to feed the otter.  Having look at ally off helps alot.  I like the idea of doing a temp ramp but most the pve servers are pillared to the point that you can't.

3 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

you can pick up otter with the argy in the birds beak using C (default key) on PvE.  I've done it many of times.  You use to be able to grab snails and dung beetles as well, but I can't seem to grab dung beetles anymore, haven't tried a snail again yet.

I pick them up with the argy and park the bird near a rock I can walk up on to feed the otter.  Having look at ally off helps alot.  I like the idea of doing a temp ramp but most the pve servers are pillared to the point that you can't.

You can definitely pick up wild snails on pve official, I did it a few times on valguero recently. Dung beetle you gotta grapple it, but havent tried an otter yet, I gotta try that cause I hate taming otters.

Archived