Living on Herbivore Island, Trapped?

malianx

Just started a new survivor on a fresh private server, we moved over to herbivore island because we like it as a starter area, but soon discovered the leedsicthys when trying to raft out to mainland for hunting. With these new monstrosities it's no longer possible to raft back and forth from herbivore island because the water is too deep to survive on a raft?

8 minutes ago, malianx said:

Seems like they added that dino specifically to prevent use of that usland.

Not really. Leeds are only powerful against rafts. Even a mid level shark can take a leed down. If you're not interested in water dinos, you can always switch to air transport and get a couple of quetzals and wyverns :)

I love sharks, but that's still not possible to move resources or dinos back and forth from the island, because you'd need a raft for chests or space. I suppose I could get one of those big fish tames that you can build on, but that's dozens of levels and tons of resources ahead of me, so it kind of axes herbivore island as a starter zone still. It's a pity they didn't change the map up some to provide a shallow water path from the island to shore when adding those guys. It just feels like now it's "Here's a good safe starting spot. Don't use it until you are high level and wanting to move inland though."

• Volunteer Moderator

To be honest although it is the safest spot whether starter or not it is not actually a starter spot. If it was a starter spot they would have placed a spawn point on it. Best thing to do is build a little base on the beach (mind the Ichthyornis) across from Herb Island, get a Flyer of sorts, and use the base on the beach to store some of your farming dinos, so all you need to do is fly over to that base and use your dinos to farm. Then fly the resources back with the flyer, or alternatively have a swimmer to swim between the bases.

17 minutes ago, malianx said:

The only flyer you can really move resources with is the quetz though, unless you're talking about making 50 trips, or am I missing something?

You aren't missing anything - like he said, that island isn't really a location to start out on. It's safe given no aggressive dino's spawn on it but you pay a price for that safety with it being awkward to get resources onto. You can build small, tame a Ptera (they spawn there too) and then use it to go across to the mainland and begin to get dino's that'll be more use in hauling materials. If you're sure you want the raft, you could head to the Redwoods for bees so you'll have honey to throw into the water to shake off a Leeds I guess. Ultimately, that island has pro's and cons and you choose whether it's for you or not. Personally I'd tire of the journey across the water every time I wanted something.

build you a raft with some plant X out the sides and set them on wild when you cross to the mainland....  the plant x will slow the leeds down enough you can escape to shallow water and then turn off the plants until you are ready to cross back ... You can easily build a raft with enough plants and plenty of room for storage and dinos just extend out with foundations

3 hours ago, malianx said:

The only flyer you can really move resources with is the quetz though, unless you're talking about making 50 trips, or am I missing something?

You can use a weight Argy for such a short hop. I have one that currently sits at 3.2k weight with levels to go. Easier tame, can still haul a good amount of items. 

edit: alternatively you can drop some honey in the water which will distract the Leed long enough to allow you to cross to the other side on your raft. Just have to get some Ichtyornis kibble, raw prime, or rare flowers. On 2x event, 1 Ichtyornis kibble will tame the bee.  

Id suggest staying there, its a nice spot to claim for late game and you don't have to worry about predators once you get water dinos (which you should get asap) Just maybe dive in the water before going on a raft and peek to see if a leeds is blocking your way to the mainland; you can then shoot it down safely from the shore before crossing.

4 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Id suggest staying there, its a nice spot to claim for late game and you don't have to worry about predators once you get water dinos (which you should get asap) Just maybe dive in the water before going on a raft and peek to see if a leeds is blocking your way to the mainland; you can then shoot it down safely from the shore before crossing.

or better yet, aggro it and trap it in the bay at herbivore. Can build a stone pillar and behemoth gate cage and lure it in. Then you can harvest fish meat whenever for a few days (think can stay trapped for 3 days before it despawns) including prime, tame an ichty and get that bee to be able to drop honey into the water to distract other leeds. 

1 minute ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

or better yet, aggro it and trap it in the bay at herbivore. Can build a stone pillar and behemoth gate cage and lure it in. Then you can harvest fish meat whenever for a few days (think can stay trapped for 3 days before it despawns) including prime, tame an ichty and get that bee to be able to drop honey into the water to distract other leeds. 

It can glitch out when unrendered and any passerby WILL kill it to troll you, which is why I'm puzzled as to the point of trapping a leed. At least your plan uses terrain which mitigates the possibiliy of it glitching out!

9 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

It can glitch out when unrendered and any passerby WILL kill it to troll you, which is why I'm puzzled as to the point of trapping a leed. At least your plan uses terrain which mitigates the possibiliy of it glitching out!

Well, especially out on that island the possibility of glitches like that are fairly minimal anyway, as you will have a tendency to pass cleanly and quickly in and out of render range of the island (on your way back and forth from the mainland).  It's in situations where you have an activity going on at or near the edge of render range from your animal enclosures, one that has you lingering at or frequently crossing the threshold of render, where most of your glitches of that type occur.

Folks that have severe problems with creatures going through floors and walls quite often have either resources or a building unintentionally built at the edge of render that they visit or linger at frequently.

9 hours ago, malianx said:

7 (base) pteras can carry as much as a (base) quetz and 7 pteras are easier to find and tame than a single quetz. You can probably get more than that many pteras just running around herb island for a short evening. Granted, a ptera won't get the multipliers by proxy from carrying other tames with weight reduction (such as ankys and metal), but we are talking "starter" situation.

Archived