The Great Migration

Moozoo

" This coming Tuesday (August 22nd) we will be posting the list of servers that will be taken down on our launch day and re-purposed for the new servers, while all other existing servers become Legacy servers. For those who decide not to migrate, the saves for these servers will be uploaded and provided, which you can then download and use to host your own unofficial servers with all of your stuff intact. "

Thats ok... But assuming my server was on the list, how long do I have to move.
I've not transferred dinos, but I assume there is a max time they can be stored in the obelisk. 24hrs?

Yes I can transfer them somewhere, but I won't have a place to keep them. On pvp it will be a dino massacre if they are just left outside and unprotected. Or even in a unprotected makeshift base. A base needs plant X's and autoturrents to have a chance.

I don't get to play that much during the week and I'll only have 7 days or so to build a new base on the new server while downloading and upload my dinos every 24 hrs so I don't loose them.

Seriously I'm just being wiped (yet again) by this.

If they increase the dino obelisk storage time, then at least I can setup a base, secure it and download the dinos when I'm ready.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I can't blame anyone who plans to stay on legacy for being nervous, unless you've got a nearly dead server probably wait until the announcement to panic. They have said they'll only wipe and repurpose servers with 0 or nearly zero population. Exactly what that means is up for debate, but I don't think they can really wipe more than the very bottom 10% and believably say, "yeah that's what we consider nearly 0."

If you're server isn't bottom 10% I don't think you have too much to be worried about at this point, so long as WC doesn't decide to change course.

34 minutes ago, Moozoo said:

If they increase the dino obelisk storage time, then at least I can setup a base, secure it and download the dinos when I'm ready.

alot of us on pve have been hoping for a more decent obilisk storage time or a permanent upload storage system would  be better! dont mind losing all my base and stuff but being able to store my tames for more than a week would be so good! 

• Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, DieEenePersoon said:

I hope My main scorched earh server wont be wiped( Big Chance it will ) . Incase if he is on the list ill transfer everything to my island server and wait on a new scorched earth server...

If you wait for a new scorched earth server you can't transfer to it, you'd need to start from scratch. Not sure if you are aware of that?

2 hours ago, GP said:

If you wait for a new scorched earth server you can't transfer to it, you'd need to start from scratch. Not sure if you are aware of that?

is this fair to an extent?

most of the SE servers on PVE are used but not as a base of operations, mainly for obtaining tames and eggs, the animals are then moved to island or centre.

how is this going to be monitored? I feel, personally, that I am having something taken away from me after I have purchased the content all because I am a "legacy player". most of our island server use SE as a resource map hence not many people on it at any given time, only for desert drops and resources. this will also mean we wont be able to do the boss fight as well as any caves.

and has there been a confirmed announcement for how many Rag servers on legacy?

8 hours ago, Arkasaurio said:

While I can't blame anyone who plans to stay on legacy for being nervous, unless you've got a nearly dead server probably wait until the announcement to panic. They have said they'll only wipe and repurpose servers with 0 or nearly zero population. Exactly what that means is up for debate, but I don't think they can really wipe more than the very bottom 10% and believably say, "yeah that's what we consider nearly 0."

If you're server isn't bottom 10% I don't think you have too much to be worried about at this point, so long as WC doesn't decide to change course.

They also didn't say if this applies to all platforms, as I know console has very few, if any 0 pop servers that would fit Jeremy's criteria. I can't speak for PC, however. 

The exception is hardcore servers which I believe I read were already being changed somehow, too lazy to find it though.

Why would people be scared of their SE servers going down if all you use it for is for resource gathering? You guys are vets...it's not THAT hard to reestablish a mining base and the few dino's needed for harvesting resources. Heck it could probably be done in a day or two. That doesn't sound like a huge deal to me.

Though I can see how larger PVE servers might have boatloads of fun (sarcasm) with a move. But PVE servers are usually VERY populated...I wouldn't think those would fall under the 10% mark. Regardless, hopefully they'll extend the obelisk hold time to more than 24 hours...maybe they'll let it be open for a week? Since after that week is up, Ark is released.

4 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Why would people be scared of their SE servers going down if all you use it for is for resource gathering? You guys are vets...it's not THAT hard to reestablish a mining base and the few dino's needed for harvesting resources. Heck it could probably be done in a day or two. That doesn't sound like a huge deal to me.

Though I can see how larger PVE servers might have boatloads of fun (sarcasm) with a move. But PVE servers are usually VERY populated...I wouldn't think those would fall under the 10% mark. Regardless, hopefully they'll extend the obelisk hold time to more than 24 hours...maybe they'll let it be open for a week? Since after that week is up, Ark is released.

If you don't have an oil node it is kind of hard to just find one that is available or unlocked... and who is to say if it is unlocked it will stay that way if you take a bunch of oil from it.

6 hours ago, X111 said:

is this fair to an extent?

most of the SE servers on PVE are used but not as a base of operations, mainly for obtaining tames and eggs, the animals are then moved to island or centre.

how is this going to be monitored? I feel, personally, that I am having something taken away from me after I have purchased the content all because I am a "legacy player". most of our island server use SE as a resource map hence not many people on it at any given time, only for desert drops and resources. this will also mean we wont be able to do the boss fight as well as any caves.

and has there been a confirmed announcement for how many Rag servers on legacy?

From what I read WC is paying an extra $100,000 per month to keep the legacy servers up an running. There is all this talk about what is fair, but that is a lot of money. They have done something unheard of in the video game industry... if your server is wiped you do not lose your character, BP's, tames, etc... just the structures. And you can even recover some of that cost. If you are wiped you will have time to be granted refugee status on another server with the chance to rebuild and then bring over your tames and items. You will also have the option to pay to keep your server data and pay to host your own server. If you are on a low populated server this seems fair to me since there are not that many people playing on the server anyway... maybe you should pay your own way if it you and joe on that server.

Kinda feel Wildcard have missed a trick here.  They have a chance to get rid of the current crop of duped dinos and materials etc, but they decided not to.

I for one will be moving to Ragnarok Official, so I decided to sell, destroy all my items.  Played on three maps (TI, CE, SE).

Looking forward to a new start on a fantastic looking map.

12 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

If you don't have an oil node it is kind of hard to just find one that is available or unlocked... and who is to say if it is unlocked it will stay that way if you take a bunch of oil from it.

From what I read WC is paying an extra $100,000 per month to keep the legacy servers up an running. There is all this talk about what is fair, but that is a lot of money. They have done something unheard of in the video game industry... if your server is wiped you do not lose your character, BP's, tames, etc... just the structures. And you can even recover some of that cost. If you are wiped you will have time to be granted refugee status on another server with the chance to rebuild and then bring over your tames and items. You will also have the option to pay to keep your server data and pay to host your own server. If you are on a low populated server this seems fair to me since there are not that many people playing on the server anyway... maybe you should pay your own way if it you and joe on that server.

I was talking about repurposed, low pop servers, read it again please, our server has 30+ average, I'm talking about access to SE, if they're wiping low pop servers, well there's probably a hand full of SE servers that fit the required criteria for no wipe. So being a legacy player our options, and indeed paid DLC for SE will be stripped? I don't want to start from scratch for something I've already got. As I said, SE servers are used for resources and specific tames include materials for Phoenix taming.

So effectively, even though the majority of the time we are on island, we do go to SE twice a week for resources, but where are we to get those resources if SE maps are repurposed?

think about it now, how am I supposed to get resources from a paid server to an official server? You know what they say about assuming right?

15 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

If you are on a low populated server this seems fair to me since there are not that many people playing on the server anyway... maybe you should pay your own way if it you and joe on that server.

We have all been paying our own way on scorched, we BOUGHT IT. And the only reason so many scorched servers are ghost towns is because they have yet to fix the problem with the electrical storms. You get a storm and your turrets go down and you have no way to defend what you paid to play. In other words SE is a troll heaven. 

If this is a concern for anyone, now is the time to be off the forums and transferring your stuff to your other server if you have one and dismantling your base. If you dont then you need to start looking for one. Its been coming for a while and you still have time to farm for the pieces you will need for a new base on a new map. Try asking around to see what decent servers are willing to take some refugees. 

I suppose its going to be a case of cramming populated servers with more people, causing severe lag issues to the point that people will be forced to leave, its almost like WC are rounding the cattle up into fewer and fewer servers and eventually either merging the last remaining die hard servers into the new servers or just saying "well, guess you're all that's left...tough luck"

On 21/08/2017 at 7:58 AM, wallaby said:

alot of us on pve have been hoping for a more decent obilisk storage time or a permanent upload storage system would  be better! dont mind losing all my base and stuff but being able to store my tames for more than a week would be so good! 

This! Yes absolutely, it would solve so many problems. On 2 out of the 3 servers I play on now we've hit Dino cap and have huge problems with lag and server crashes, I'm sure if there was the option of putting dinos into stasis or something a lot would use it and this would reduce server overcrowding and performance issues massively, hell even if it requires some sort of expensive tek structure I wouldn't care.

Not to mention players have been complaining about not even being able to go on holiday without dinos starving or becoming unclaimed, this would offer a solution to that also. Perhaps a tek stasis chamber or something, if the chamber is destroyed the dinos inside are lost, this would prevent it from imbalancing PvP by stopping players from just hiding dinos in the cloud.

From what I have read it seems WC is simply re-purposing servers that are "Ghost Towns" - only 10% of those servers. People that are on "Legacy" servers won't be able to transfer to the new servers.  I haven't seen anything yet that says people won't be able to transfer back and forth from SE to Island or center. 

Archived