platform saddles joke?

Avaraxius

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Pandora said:

Im not sure but it might be the final nail in the coffin for me and ark ~ We only have 5 dinos with platforms built on and that will be half our limit on xb when we get this update that is nuts (we are already at dino limit on xb so not sure what will happen) ~ My boyfriend said they made a comment how built platforms cause performance issues ~ What is next boats? I can't see this causing more lag than a base so this just seems like another way to tick off the legacy crowd and clear up their precious servers :(

It isn't even on consoles yet and neither you nor me know if they will make it the same way there and you complain about it.

9 hours ago, powerstuck said:

I just hope it counts only dinos ''with equipped'' platforms in the 40 limit. 

That way you can put the platform in the dino's inventory when not using and have ''1-5'' tame slots used for that. 

The 19 slots for built structures is dumb.

The better option would have been a platform saddle counts as 1 tamed dino, every added structure costs +1 dino. So if you want a flying house, well it will be equivalent of 50 dinos, but if you only have 4 foundations, 4 ceilings and 4 ramps (for transporting rexes as example), well that only costs you 12 dinos. It's a good compromise in my opinion.

I don't disagree necessarily, but I also feel like this change was going to meet resistance no matter how it was implemented. 

The hard part about changes to the game like this is that, if this were the way the game worked from the get-go, people probably wouldn't have questioned it. "Oh, platforms count as more dinos due to resource restrictions." Unfortunately, due to early access, many players are used to the game without this restraint so it feels like we are losing something. In reality, we've "lost" something we never really had to begin with. 

This is why, as I may have said before, I'm still vehemently opposed to open betas/open early access. Too many people place unrealistic expectations on developers, then lash out in various irrational ways when those expectations aren't met. There are benefits to paid early-access...indie developers actually stand a chance of making a game for one, but there are thousands of complaints about Ark's current state that would have NEVER been made if the same people complaining saw Ark for the first time at release.

I play pvp and I can understand the rage some of you are feeling, but think about it...if you're cross server raiding you're not going to be bringing 200 tames with you. Ever. And there's no reason to have pick/snipe protection on your bronto platform saddle while you're at home unless you're server is a troll fest. 

The way I see it is, if you're somewhere where you need platform structures,  you're not going to come close to the dino cap even if you tried. Not unless you wipe the server and take over in which case you no longer have need fit the structures. 

50 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

I don't disagree necessarily, but I also feel like this change was going to meet resistance no matter how it was implemented. 

The hard part about changes to the game like this is that, if this were the way the game worked from the get-go, people probably wouldn't have questioned it. "Oh, platforms count as more dinos due to resource restrictions." Unfortunately, due to early access, many players are used to the game without this restraint so it feels like we are losing something. In reality, we've "lost" something we never really had to begin with. 

....but there are thousands of complaints about Ark's current state that would have NEVER been made if the same people complaining saw Ark for the first time at release.

"You have to understand. Most people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured and so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it."

- morpheus

• Volunteer Moderator
14 hours ago, Isho said:

Anyone knows the reason behind this? I cant think of anything else than this being done just for PVP reasons.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/1470842897552184243/?ctp=2#c1470842897552584255

It's for the sake of stabilizing (or as close as can be to the word stable) performance.

13 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

It makes zero sense to PvP as opposed to PvE.  In PvP not many tribes have alot of platforms as they tend to get killed quickly.. Unless your'e an alpha or mega then the likelihood is you won't have many platforms

In PvE you could effectively stake a monopoly on the platforms on a map, I have seen it happen on many servers where the limit is hit and the "alpha" tribe will make you pay for them to remove a saddle from one of their dinos so you could do it, but in those cases once they have removed it the entire server will try to place another so they have the extra slot.  This removes that as every tribe can now have 40 saddles without structures on them.

Plus given the fact that a saddle containing a structure is alot more advantageous than a mere dino without a platform w/structure they should have an increased hit on the cap.  Dunno where they got the idea for 19 tho.

It doesn't matter if it's PvP or PvE, a platformed dinosaur with structures on it is taking objects meant to be static and making them dynamic. Each and every step your dino takes the server has to calculate each and every movement of each and every little hit box and every little flag of every single structure on the platform. The more calculations the server has to make the more the server chugs. Whilst not due to movement, this calculation chugging can easily be seen when you make use of the destroywilddinos command where the server can lag or outright stall as it does calculations to repopulate your server with dinosaurs.

12 minutes ago, Specter229 said:

It won't change anything on Xbox. Home consoles share the game and the Xbox Live to play it. Soon you'll just see clones of the original tribe set up just to house their platform Dinos. All they need is a few email accounts and create a few dozen Gamertags.

step 1 tame a bronto

step 2 get one person from your tribe to leave the tribe and build a large structure under a new tribe

step 3 unclaim bronto

step 4 get the guy in the other tribe to claim the bronto

step 5 set the pin code on the behemoth gateway on the dinopen to something easy to remember 

step 6 place the bronto in the dinopen and unclaim it 

2 minutes ago, raaazboy said:

step 1 tame a bronto

step 2 get one person from your tribe to leave the tribe and build a large structure under a new tribe

step 3 unclaim bronto

step 4 get the guy in the other tribe to claim the bronto

step 5 set the pin code on the behemoth gateway on the dinopen to something easy to remember 

step 6 place the bronto in the dinopen and unclaim it 

That works too. The reality is it's not gonna fix anything.

Archived