So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Well I'm yet to play today but yesterday I flew with my argy to the snow planning to get a yuty or 2, on the way I found a thyla in a perfect place to set up a trap so I did. I got it in the trap and was taming it when a compy army came over, and my argy killed them and also hit the thyla ( my argy does well over 1000 damage so it died right away luckily it was a low level ) so I tamed a lvl 92 Rex instead. then I went to the snow and got myself a lv 108 yuty ( idk what it was after tame and I was using cryopods to hold the already tamed dinos ) I came across a female yuty the 108 was a Male so I tried to tame it but I KOed in the water and drowned when I was killing a bary that was in the way. One the way home I tamed a Male rex to breed with the 92 female. Today imma take them out of their cryopods and maybe do some rex breeding. Then go on a rampage with my spinos to get them leveled up for the broodmother.

Cracked over 60 bunny eggs, got a karkinos chibi, a reaper one, and a really cool "white sail edge-black everything else" spino chibi. The rest was fairly unremarkable.

Lost my main argy. Like, it's just gone. Nothing in the log. I looked for it for a bit, then saddled and put levels into one of my blue ones.

Found some random dude sleeping in my allo trap. Dragged him out, placed safely on a low-enough-to-jump off-but-tall-enough-not-to-get-attacked-by-wild-dinos cliff. Could have just unlocked the door in the trap's side for him, but it's my trap and I don't want to unlock it. Even temporarily.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

On 4/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, Stretch11 said:

Depending on the cave, a sabertooth may or may not be the best choice.  If the cave contains lots of bugs (spiders, scorpions, centipedes, etc.), I would recommend a Megatherium.  They get incredible bonuses whenever they kill bugs.  Megatheriums are larger than sabertooths (saberteeth?) and will not fit in small spaces.  Turtles are good for distractions.  They have good defense so attacking dinos chew on them for a while before they die.  This can give you the opportunity to get away or open up on the attacking dinos with distance weapons like bows, crossbows, or spears.  Turtles are in the size range between sabertooths and Megatherium, but they are very easy to tame by running backwards on a beach (no obstacles to run into) shooting them with tranq arrows until they drop.

I had only done three caves before I discovered the wonder of cryopods that will let you take larger dinos through smaller areas and release them into the larger areas on the far side of constrictions.  I could not make cryopods at the time, but I got some from drops during the Christmas event.  If you are not high enough level to make them yourself you may just have to wait or perhaps trade with other people .  Some caves are very difficult without big dinos, but big dinos cannot fit through the entrance.

There are lots of good things to get out of caves.  Good luck!

Soooo today I used the above information and changed my small Dino taming raft to a medium Dino one for the megatharium. After looking it up, it makes so much more sense for me ‘cause I also needs lots of chitin. 

I scoped out some megas but I have low fortitude and can’t handle the snow biome. where I found them. Off to find some sheep! ✂️

Today: hatched four argent eggs (none worthy of keeping).

Found a slightly better than basic bronto saddle.

Put all points of my breeding bronto pair in speed because I wanted to put them somewhere, but not anywhere important.

Rode one of the now-200% speed brontos around my base (she fast).

Hatched more bunny eggs (two pteranodon chibies. Their names are Pteranodo and Pteranodon't)

Made a lot of sparkpowder and charcoal because I run out of them with the speed of light, thanks to all the unworthy baby killing I do.

That's all.

Whatever you do, never log in to Ark for that hour before work when you think you can get something done so when you sit down I’m the evening you have less to do. Things always go bad at that time...

I lost an argy while looking for sheep, got knocked off by a thyla and died on the opposite side of the map from my base. 

poor argy :( I hope I can find it when I log in later 

I’ve been to all the ovis spawn points and haven’t found any. such a hard creature to find when you need it

Edited by Cordiste

On 4/16/2020 at 7:12 PM, Cordiste said:

Soooo today I used the above information and changed my small Dino taming raft to a medium Dino one for the megatharium. After looking it up, it makes so much more sense for me ‘cause I also needs lots of chitin. 

I scoped out some megas but I have low fortitude and can’t handle the snow biome. where I found them. Off to find some sheep! ✂️

Try looking for Megatheriums around the Redwoods.  Then again, you won't be able to get there in a raft.  I use 4-6 dino gate frames (once built, they are fairly light) and fill all but one with doors.  Place the dino gates far enough apart that you can slip through, but not so far apart that a dino like a Megatherium can fit.  Lure the dino in through the frame without a door and you slip out between a couple of the other frames and run around and place the door on the open frame.  If you are quick you can lure it with yourself.   If you are not fast enough or do not want to risk taking a hit or two, you can fly through the gate with an Argy or even a Pteranodon and leave through the open top.  Then just shoot tranq arrows through the gaps until the dino drops.  This also protects your unconscious dino from being attacked by large dinos that cannot fit through the cracks.  It won't help against small dinos like Raptors and if your captive dino falls a lot outside of the walls, you may want to move some of them to protect it.  You probably want to build the dino gates from stone, but wooden ones might last long enough to tranq it.

Edited by Stretch11
typo

12 hours ago, Stretch11 said:

Try looking for Megatheriums around the Redwoods.  Then again, you won't be able to get there in a raft.  I use 4-6 dino gate frames (once built, they are fairly light) and fill all but one with doors.  Place the dino gates far enough apart that you can slip through, but not so far apart that a dino like a Megatherium can fit.  Lure the dino in through the frame without a door and you slip out between a couple of the other frames and run around and place the door on the open frame.  If you are quick you can lure it with yourself.   If you are not fast enough or do not want to risk taking a hit or two, you can fly through the gate with an Argy or even a Pteranodon and leave through the open top.  Then just shoot tranq arrows through the gaps until the dino drops.  This also protects your unconscious dino from being attacked by large dinos that cannot fit through the cracks.  It won't help against small dinos like Raptors and if your captive dino falls a lot outside of the walls, you may want to move some of them to protect it.  You probably want to build the dino gates from stone, but wooden ones might last long enough to tranq it.

So I read this a little late, I ended up making a taming pen on a raft, 3x4 footprint with 2 rows of window frames tall. Put a big f-off ramp on the front, ram in onto the beach, kite the mega over the ramp and falls into the pen then sail away before the wolves wise up and start chasing :)

it went well! I called it Meg. Lol. Shut up, Meg. 

btw yesterday my argy died but I managed to get my gear off my corpse so it wasn’t a total loss. 

I tamed 2 ferox in the cave that was interesting then breed them had fun trying to get them to stay still. 

Me and my buddy went and did the missions in the volcano area to finished the night while my wife tamed a colored thorny dragon.

He was kinda restless with breeding and taming so he popped out a Mek i used me Tek rex. going to do them on a higher lvl in a few hours.

I completed my Island base, after over a month of planning & grinding
AND
I got the Perfect Explorer Achievement getting 100% all the explorer notes & dossiers on Island. Yes, I am a OCD completionist.

Form meets Function & my Island base is located IMO in the best place on the map, close to all resource spawns & important dinos, just over the East Water Cave. A fully colored, fully functional base whose design I think can be used as example for PvE Solo, PvE Small tribes, Singleplayer. 

I made this video of my achievement, which explain in detail, the who/what/why of all tames I have, the base design, my color philosophy etc all of which serves as a tutorial for completing Island map with no stress.

The hard thing was doing without any admin commands which I feel proud about, searching for all the explorer notes & grinding resources.

Now, I will finally move to Scorched Earth ? .

• Like 1

I installed the ARK API v3.4 update to 8 of my clustered servers, jumped on for about 10hrs, farmed some Ambergris while I waited on a few things to clone then farmed up the usual for building materials as my central base now fully encompasses the entirety of Weathertop. Had a great time eating some cactus broth and farming green stone nodes in the lunar biome on an anky. Hatched 2 decent lvl magmasaurs today. Finally got around to going down that rabbit hole but havent rode one yet. Ran into the age old unofficial modded server issue where if a player file is too big bc of their inventory/engrams learned, they crash on server transfer - came here to this forum to see if anyones sorted that out yet and here i am. 

Tamed a second equus, grey-and-darker-grey female. Level 50 pre-tame, 69 (heh) post-tame (accidentally dismounted in the beginning, otherwise would be higher).

Finished raising the new argy male (stamina mutation), killed the old one, mated all females to the new one.

Accidentally found the argy I lost some time ago when I flew on my new one to get the red drop, turns out she was sitting in a cliff corner near the base of a nearby tribe (guess there is some benefit of coexisting with that massive lag-factory! Their plant traps probably were what kept Snowy safe until I found her).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

Two tribe mates and I hit our first purple drop in Extinction. I've been soloing reds for a while, but never attempted a purple. We got to wave 15 then decided to call it quits as it was 2am ?

My tribe mates were using their 635 base gigas, but I kept to Delilah, my 585 base as we're a team (and I didn't want to lose my best one, just incase!!)

Feel confident that we could easily duo them up to at least the same wave in the future

I built my first heavy turret to fight against those pesky Ichthyornis (how I hate them!). My base seems to be right in a spawning location for these pests, and they were really getting on my nerves.  Constantly stealing stuff from me.  So I built a tower, put one of these heavy turrets on it, set it to attack all, and now those annoying birds just get blasted out of the air.  What a Godsend! 

• Like 1

Killed three of my allos because I haven't bred them in forever, so I don't really need that many.

Found a decent flamethrower.

Made some fuel for it.

Used it to kill another allo, the old dodo male (I have a better one now), and the foal from my new equus pair because it was a non-mutated male, and I don't have any use for that right now.

We did the Gamma and Alpha Dragon last night. Gamma Dragon was great and we wiped on the Alpha Dragon unfortunately.

I am not sure why but I think we need more Melee in the Theri's as they were around 1000% with 30k health. Dragon was level 11 and she really hurt us.

But now time to rebuild the army and regrind for saddles.

Single Player, The Island,

Saturday April 25,

Started fresh on the island and  immediately got to work in leveling up so i could get  raft to go to herbivore island, tamed a dodo and parasaur, and then was taming a 2nd parasaur when i got attacked by a few dilos my 1st parasaur scared em, then my second one and I fought em off. I died and so did my para but i killed em in the end. Then got set to work on a houseboat, with the basic supplies, smithy forge, storage etc. Then I loaded up my dinos and set sail, got half way when i got attacked by a leed, had to hit the shore for repairs,when i got here i  noticed the leed had knocked my para off, what i did not realize is that it was carrying everything.

Sunday April 26,

Counted my losses and set sail and made it to herbivore island with no bumps, Explored and scouted out the island and set to clearing a base spot, once I had a spot I made  a little stone base and set to work on getting it furnished . Then I set out to get a couple of tames. By the end of the day I had flak, metal shield, a 219 ptera, and a 209, stego, and was level 79.

• Like 2