Console Commands / Ini Files

St1ckyBandit

GG Wildcard, you've officially ruined the game. 

If anyone is not aware, you can now edit the ini files on xbox like you can on PC to take away all the foliage, water, even the entire landscape. 

I'm done. This kills PvP for me.

As a playstation player I was planning on playing console only servers to escape the ini file crap that PC players have access to, but it looks like WC has brought that cancer to console as well now.

What a joke. Worst devs ever.

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, Shadowmistress said:

Well has it stands there are no xbox only pve servers, in another post a moderator is saying there are only pvp xbox only servers ( cant find yhese either), i hope this is not the case and they bring pve xbox only servers as i refuse to play with or against pc players and their hacking.

But you dont play against anybody on pve, and arent forced to tribe up with pc ppl. I dont see why there should be console only pve servers, it really doesnt matter there.

On the original topic, i 100% agree, it is stupid that all those commands are available to players on the official network. And i say that despite my pc being too old to run the game without some of those questionable commands.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Console Commands / Ini Files
On 11/22/2023 at 8:38 PM, acat said:

But you dont play against anybody on pve, and arent forced to tribe up with pc ppl. I dont see why there should be console only pve servers, it really doesnt matter there.

You shouldn't but my experience of a few years official PvE teached me too many trolls go around that bring PvP to PvE at every chance they see and those WILL abuse this. If it comes to stealing bags or eggs that take you some time to find in high grass or just kite small creatures to you, it opens too much opportunities for trolls

Ofcourse it is up to everyone for themself if they want to ruin their game but gompies sneak attacking should be part of the experience otherwise you can just as well go back to Farmville.

20 hours ago, johnm81 said:

It blows my mind that wc hasn't learned anything from ark 1.0.

Sure they have. They've learned that players are so much in love with the idea of riding dinosaurs that they'll pay for a game no matter how badly it's made. They learned that lesson in 2016 and it's stuck with them ever since.

Obviously that's not the fault of the actual developers, the people who do the work, it's the fault of upper management and the people who own the company, but they are perfectly fine with people giving them money for a sub-standard product.

On 11/25/2023 at 10:22 AM, Pipinghot said:

Sure they have. They've learned that players are so much in love with the idea of riding dinosaurs that they'll pay for a game no matter how badly it's made. They learned that lesson in 2016 and it's stuck with them ever since.

Obviously that's not the fault of the actual developers, the people who do the work, it's the fault of upper management and the people who own the company, but they are perfectly fine with people giving them money for a sub-standard product.

My issue is my entire tribe has informed me they are quiting the game if this isn't fixed by time rag comes out. 

19 hours ago, johnm81 said:

My issue is my entire tribe has informed me they are quiting the game if this isn't fixed by time rag comes out. 

Which basically proves my point. Even if your tribe mates leave WC still has their money. Whether you also quit with your friends or not, you have all donated money to WC in spite of the fact that ASE had all of the same problems that ASA does. Giving money to a bad company isn't going to convince them to become a better company. WC is absolutely not going to fix things just to make you happy or to make your friends stay, now you have to decide what you're going to do about that. Are you going to keep supporting a company that treats players, and you, like this?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:22 PM, Pipinghot said:

I'm not realy onboard with that idea. I mean, every mechanic with a little self esteem would refuse to let a customer hit the street with only 3 of the 4 tires mounted correct, no matter how loud his boss is yelling. Your boss might fool you once but next time you are just as bad.

Same go for us, the gamers: As long as we p(l)ay we are indeed supporting this.

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Which basically proves my point. Even if your tribe mates leave WC still has their money. Whether you also quit with your friends or not, you have all donated money to WC in spite of the fact that ASE had all of the same problems that ASA does. Giving money to a bad company isn't going to convince them to become a better company. WC is absolutely not going to fix things just to make you happy or to make your friends stay, now you have to decide what you're going to do about that. Are you going to keep supporting a company that treats players, and you, like this?

Isn't obvious what we are "going to do about that"? 

I just said we are quitting Ark if its not fixed by rag. 

So the action is no additional purchasing of Ark ASA xpacs after gen2 nor buying Ark2. 

5 hours ago, MMaas said:

I'm not realy onboard with that idea. I mean, every mechanic with a little self esteem would refuse to let a customer hit the street with only 3 of the 4 tires mounted correct, no matter how loud his boss is yelling. Your boss might fool you once but next time you are just as bad.

It's pretty dangerous logic to try to pursue an argument like this, there are too many problems.

* Putting on tires is life-and-death. People can die if a wheel is mounted wrong, no one has ever been killed by a bad video game.

* Even if no one gets hurt a badly mounted tire can cause thousands of dollars of damage to the car, a video game is not going to do thousands of dollars of damage to a computer.

* People can (and do) sue mechanics for doing bad work. Even if the mechanic wins the lawsuit it still costs them time & money. That doesn't happen with video games.

So rather than waste a lot of time trying to discuss and debate what a good comparison would be, which would be an unproductive conversation, the point I was making is that the ultimate responsibility for the quality of ARK rests on the shoulders of the owners and senior management. It's virtually impossible to have a bad company if the owners and managers are good, a leadership team like that is simply not going to have a team full of bad employees. Good owners & managers either replace bad employees or they help the employees get better. On the other hand, it's entirely possible to have a bad company with good employees if the owners & senior managers are not good. That's pretty much what causes bad companies to be bad.

There is a limit to how much good can be accomplished by a good employee if they have bad owners and managers. If the employer mandates a schedule that prevents employees from doing things right their only choices are to do whatever work they can in the time they've been given or to quit and find another job. It's really easy to tell people that it's their fault for not finding a better job, but that's blaming the wrong people. The quality of a company is ultimately decided by the owners and senior managers.

5 hours ago, MMaas said:

Same go for us, the gamers: As long as we p(l)ay we are indeed supporting this.

Agreed, which is what I was saying earlier. WildCard never had to learn how to be a good company because they accidentally created a game that prints money no matter how badly they treat players. The only real option players have is to refuse to buy their products.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

It's pretty dangerous logic to try to pursue an argument like this, there are too many problems.

* Putting on tires is life-and-death. People can die if a wheel is mounted wrong, no one has ever been killed by a bad video game.

* Even if no one gets hurt a badly mounted tire can cause thousands of dollars of damage to the car, a video game is not going to do thousands of dollars of damage to a computer.

* People can (and do) sue mechanics for doing bad work. Even if the mechanic wins the lawsuit it still costs them time & money. That doesn't happen with video games.

The point is that it should not matter if your job is "important" or very small, if you take yourself serious you shoud alway refuse to do only half a job.
And yes, this can force you to tell your boss to go and pleasures himself and look for a new job.
Been there, done that. No regrets.

Edited by MMaas
typo
  • Thanks 1

I tempered my expectations for ASA, its wildcard we're talking about afterall, but never did I imagine they'd screw up so bad and actually make ASA worse than ASE, to the point were I've decided to avoid the game altogether. 

No playstation only servers and ini files on console are the main factors I'm not getting ASA.

No playstation servers I can understand. Snail is a greedy publisher and wants to squeeze every last cent out of this cash grab, so they're keeping the server amount to a bare minimum. 

The ini files thing blows my mind though. It was always something I hated about PC and now WC has made the incomprehensible decision to bring it to console.

In-game dev sponsored wall hacks. Great job WC. Any competent dev team would see how this crap destroys PVP, but at this stage its clear WC cannot be considered one.

Im just wondering if there's any other PvPers that are as pissed about the handling of ASA and are avoiding it like me.

On 11/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, MMaas said:

The point is that it should not matter if your job is "important" or very small, if you take yourself serious you shoud alway refuse to do only half a job.
And yes, this can force you to tell your boss to go and pleasures himself and look for a new job.
Been there, done that. No regrets.

I feel like we're talking past each other at this point. I agree with you about individuals being responsible for their own work. But their individual responsibility still cannot make the overall product better if they're working in a bad environment. No matter how much people are responsible for the quality of their own personal work, the overall quality of the product is still the responsibility of the owners and senior leadership of the company.

Maybe it's fair to accuse individual developers for failing or refusing to leave a bad company, but even if that's true it's still not the fault of the individual developers that the company is bad. The blame for a company being bad and creating bad products will always be the responsibility of the leaders.

Employees are responsible for themselves, leaders are responsible for the company.

Personally, I love this feature, because it allow us console users to disable volumetric cloud, fog and water reflection to give us better FPS, however I only play single player for now. But then again if PC have this feature, then I would consider it to be normal for console as well to have it. My 2 cents.

Regards,

Moose

8 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

I feel like we're talking past each other at this point. I agree with you about individuals being responsible for their own work. But their individual responsibility still cannot make the overall product better if they're working in a bad environment. No matter how much people are responsible for the quality of their own personal work, the overall quality of the product is still the responsibility of the owners and senior leadership of the company.

Maybe it's fair to accuse individual developers for failing or refusing to leave a bad company, but even if that's true it's still not the fault of the individual developers that the company is bad. The blame for a company being bad and creating bad products will always be the responsibility of the leaders.

Employees are responsible for themselves, leaders are responsible for the company.

I think we just have different opinions ;)
Leaders are only leaders as long as they have minions and followers. That can translate as employees and customers in we are talking companies.
And from that point of view they are responsible for who's the leader. Think the recent events with Open AI is an example of that.

Indeed not their fault but by inactivity to change it for sure they have a share in responsibility. Just as good as we have when we keep buying crap.

The game looks and runs amazing, however the fact that these commands exist where you can change the settings is atrocious. Not so much the reducing of fog or clouds, but things like seeing through the water by typing in r.water.singlelayer 0 is broken. But the worst of all is the nanaite command, which allows you to see through the map, into other peoples bases, anything thats non regular structure including turrets. Completely unfair and unnecessary in pvp AND pve. Needs to be fixed or people will quit.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:30 AM, MMaas said:

I think we just have different opinions ;)
Leaders are only leaders as long as they have minions and followers. That can translate as employees and customers in we are talking companies.
And from that point of view they are responsible for who's the leader. Think the recent events with Open AI is an example of that.

Indeed not their fault but by inactivity to change it for sure they have a share in responsibility. Just as good as we have when we keep buying crap.

There's no such thing as a good company with good leaders and bad employees. Good leaders hire, and inspire, employees to be better.

However there are plenty of examples of bad companies with bad leaders and with good employees who are prevented from being as good as they want to be by the bad leadership.

Good leaders allow and encourage a company to be good, bad leaders allow and encourage a company to be bad. The the quality of the company, and the quality of the products they create, are ultimately the responsibility of the leaders.

What’s the command for foliage online? Does it work, it worked for me in SP when I was testing it out but didn’t when online on PvP servers…. 

I would prefer that they didn’t have this in the game. I can see why it’s in for performance reasons but it kinda spoils the idea of playing hidden guerrilla  warfare style of the game

11 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

There's no such thing as a good company with good leaders and bad employees. Good leaders hire, and inspire, employees to be better.

However there are plenty of examples of bad companies with bad leaders and with good employees who are prevented from being as good as they want to be by the bad leadership.

Good leaders allow and encourage a company to be good, bad leaders allow and encourage a company to be bad. The the quality of the company, and the quality of the products they create, are ultimately the responsibility of the leaders.

All obvious but beside the point. My point was that if bad leadership is raping your dignity it is up to you if you accept it or not.