ASA: Will there be more tameable and breedable creatures? (New taming methods?)

JadeHellBlade910

I was just wondering if maybe there would be some creatures in the remaster that will become tameable or become breedable. There is at least one creature that could use this treatment in almost every map that I can think of. These are just to name a few. I don't know exactly how many creatures are not breedable / tameable. (Also, I know some of these might be a bit odd, like the Parakeet fish swarm, but I could see it having a use in some way.)

The Island: Coelocanths, Liopleurodon, Leedsichthys, Ammonites, Eurypterids, Cnidaria...then again a tameable bio-toxin farm would be a bit too good I think. 

Scorched Earth: Jug Bugs, Rock Golems, and "maybe" Deathworms, even though I know the dossier explicitly states they are "Untamable", and possibly even rubble golems. Could be interesting to have a much weaker, but smaller tamed Rock Golem. 

Aberration: Glowbugs, Lamprey, Basilisks, and Karkinos. I'm not saying Reapers. Breedable Reapers would be way too OP.

Extinction: Making Breedable or "Upgradable" Enforcers and Defense Units / Attack Drones. 

Gen 1:  Astrocetus and the Parakeet fish school: They can be used as a small little way to get fish meat. 

Gen 2: Carnivorous plants: While not an actual creature, these could become another plant species. Plant species C, if you will. They will act just like the wild ones, ensnaring and eating anything small enough.

Free maps: Fenrir and Griffins. (Seriously, it's a crime Fenrir isn't breedable to me with how hard he is to get. Plus, Fenrir is probably my second favorite mythological creature, with Jormungandr being my all time favorite.)

I just think that some of these could make good additions to the tameable roster. As some of these could be combat mounts, like Leedsichthys or Liopleurodon. And others could be used as more QOL tames, like the Parakeet fish school. 

I'd like to hear what others think. 

Sincerely: Jade - a solo survivor.

• Thanks 2

There will be new creatures but I don't think there will be many changes to the taming/breeding status of existing creatures. I will give a few random examples of why I think so & some cases where I agree. 

Lets start with say the Leedsicthys as it is one I would like to see be tamed, while I disagree that fish are too unintelligent to be "tamed" in a sense (I own fish and they definitely recognize the person that feeds them and will come up to you) I do understand that it might be a little messed up to own a creature that all you do is rip its flesh off to eat it lol. I don't really understand the taming decision with this one.

Special creatures like Rock Golems and Basilisks, both are way too strong without breeding to be allowed to breed and boost their stats to ridiculous heights for the same reason as Reapers. However, I can see Karkinos/Griffins possibly being breed-able though I think the concern revolves around like making Griffin's have nuke attacks with their swoop attack. I have no experience with Fenrir so I don't have an opinion here. 

As far as Enforcers go, I am unsure what to really do with them lol but they definitely need something. I would also like to see construct-able Defense/Attack Drones since we already have Enforcers and Scouts. 

Might as well cover some of the random things as well. Ammonites/Cnidaria/Coel/Salmon/Lamprey/Parakeet Fish/Death Worms, as creatures who exist purely to be harvested for a resource or a natural hazard its probably best to just leave them alone, and you could honestly lump Leeds in this group as well. Eurypterids/Jug Bugs, I have no idea why these are not tame-able considering we can tame other insects/invertebrates/arthropods(just covering all the bases lol)

I kinda rambled, but hopefully these opinions help? 

Edited by UDGxKnight

8 minutes ago, Rexslayer said:

That is a good point but for the big fish when it is tamed they could just remove that part and it would be nice to be able to tame them because they are tanks.

They could remove it yeah but it is part of its dossier and, if I understand correctly, a reference to a story. Them being good water mounts would be great. I have always wondered why they talked about survivors being able to trap them for replenishing food if they would just eventually de-spawn for us 🤔

In my opinion Cnidaria stunlock is still breaking all of the underwater gameplay, making the Basilosaurus the only reliable option underwater.  They need to nerf those things with a 60 seconds stun cooldown. That being said, they could apply the stunlock only to swimming players and make all mounts immune to it.

Edited by Herbapou
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those are some pretty valid points with the creatures you mentioned UDGxKnight. I was just thinking the leed and a few of the smaller creatures could be used as more QOL things than as battle mounts, since we have quite a lot of those. Such as the jug bugs being really nice and easy early game tames for Scorched Earth. As that map is already punishing enough in the early game as it is. A jug bug tame of any kind could really help to make things go a bit smoother. And a few of the other creatures in Aberration could be nice as tames too. Such as Lamprey or Glowbugs. Kind of weird we can't tame glowbugs considering their only purpose is to produce charge light no? And as for Fenrir, Fenrir is extremely difficult to get, and it's spawned as a max level on alpha difficulty (150 for officials I believe.) and the stats are usually garbage. Plus, it's just a Direwolf with better stats and Ice armor. Sure the Ice armor is a huge buff as opposed to the normal wolves, but I still think Fenrir should be breedable. Just my thoughts though. Maybe I'm dead wrong as possibly breedable Fenrirs would just be too strong for the game. But yeah, I was just curious if maybe some old creatures would get more usage in the remaster. It's all fun and speculation at the end of the day. Plus, I'm trying to be a little more discussive in the community, and what better place to start than a discussion thread right?

Something to consider with the creatures that would get way to over powered if you could mutation breed them (like super melee bomb griffons or high health rock elementals) is that the mutation system is being overhauled for ASA, and that mutations will apparently no longer give just plain wild levels but have their own "multiplier" (levels?) going on, so for those creatures it could be made that health mutations on rock elementals only give small amounts of health and so on.  

On 10/22/2023 at 12:27 AM, JadeHellBlade910 said:

I was just thinking the leed and a few of the smaller creatures could be used as more QOL things than as battle mounts, since we have quite a lot of those.

Honestly, I am all for the Leed being the underwater equivalent of the Diplodocus. Just huge underwater bus lol. Also, I will admit having some of the resource creatures as passive generation things (*cough* like Bees & Snails) would be nice. Ammonites just chilling creating pheromones for us to harvest, or Jellies making Bio Toxin, though not sure how you go about “milking” a Jelly(while im at it, I can’t really logic out taming a Jellyfish so we may have to leave them alone). 

Something I have always wanted is for Queen Bees to become shoulder pets as well. They would by no means be overpowered, but just imagine having a Queen Bee poof out little warrior bees to chase down and distract whatever attacks you while you get away. A boy can dream

6 hours ago, UDGxKnight said:

Something I have always wanted is for Queen Bees to become shoulder pets as well. They would by no means be overpowered, but just imagine having a Queen Bee poof out little warrior bees to chase down and distract whatever attacks you while you get away. A boy can dream

Reminds me of the bee bombs from Far Cry: Primal. Watching the Udam and Izila get swarmed to death always gave me a bit of a demented chuckle, LOL. Id love this idea ahahah

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Countrydude89 said:

Reminds me of the bee bombs from Far Cry: Primal. Watching the Udam and Izila get swarmed to death always gave me a bit of a demented chuckle, LOL. Id love this idea ahahah

Oh yeah it would definitely be funny. I just want the bee to have another use and I feel like they are the perfect size to hang off the shoulder. Can't appreciate the bees when they are just turned into a hive and left there.

On 10/22/2023 at 7:27 AM, JadeHellBlade910 said:

Such as the jug bugs being really nice and easy early game tames for Scorched Earth.

This is I think an excellent idea! 

On 10/22/2023 at 7:27 AM, JadeHellBlade910 said:

I was just thinking the leed and a few of the smaller creatures could be used as more QOL things than as battle mounts

Leeds might prove an issue in PVP - it destroys rafts, and my goto on PVP was to try and run a raft out in the middle of nowhere? Dunno if that is still a thing - I ain't played PVP for a good long while now.

On 10/19/2023 at 3:27 PM, UDGxKnight said:

Special creatures like Rock Golems and Basilisks, both are way too strong without breeding to be allowed to breed and boost their stats to ridiculous heights for the same reason as Reapers.

100% Agreed!

On 10/23/2023 at 1:23 AM, Dreadcthulhu said:

is that the mutation system is being overhauled for ASA, and that mutations will apparently no longer give just plain wild levels but have their own "multiplier" (levels?) going on

Yeah - this I did not understand. They said (I think) that the 254 overflow was being removed? So in theory one could have a max level (say 450) dino with ALL stats in melee? And I think they also talked about the actual mute count, so you cannot do a million mutes and get into negative territory? As I sez - that post flew over my head .......

Hmmmmm

On 10/19/2023 at 5:26 AM, JadeHellBlade910 said:

Coelocanths, Liopleurodon, Leedsichthys, Ammonites, Eurypterids, Cnidaria

No to Coels, Ammonites, Eurypterids, and Cnidaria. I don't think every creature in the game needs to be tameable, and they'd serve little to no purpose outside of resource farming, which is a bit lame. Lios need a crazy rework but should definitely be breedable, and Leeds have always been something I wish could be tamed. 

Jug Bugs, Rock Golems, and "maybe" Deathworms, even though I know the dossier explicitly states they are "Untamable", and possibly even rubble golems.

No to all of these. Unless the ASA mutation changes are significant, Rock Golems would be way too strong when bred up. Jug Bugs, Deathworms, and Rubble Golems are more examples of creatures that simply don't need to be tameable. Jug Bug stats are beyond pathetic, and Deathworms/Rubble Golems are more obstacles than actual creatures. 

Glowbugs, Lamprey, Basilisks, and Karkinos.

No to Glowbugs for the same reason as Jug Bugs and no to Lampreys as having unlimited Lampreys would diminish the usefulness of HAZ gear for most occasions. Basilisks could probably use it, but would probably need some stat nerfs to make up for it. Karkinos would be alright.

Making Breedable or "Upgradable" Enforcers and Defense Units / Attack Drones.

This is what Enforcer Blueprints are for. Defense Units and Attack Drones are again more obstacle than they are actual tame, and them being tameable was once a bug that was thankfully fixed. 

Astrocetus and the Parakeet fish school

Astrocetus would be fine for breeding, Parakeet Fish Schools are another "creature" that just doesn't really need to be tameable for any reason. 

Fenrir and Griffins.

Griffins fine, Fenrir no. You get Fenrir as a reward for completing the boss fight, making it breedable invalidates that. They do deserve to be stronger though, they're not much more than a trophy tame.

10 hours ago, Qwertymine said:

Hmmmmm

No to Coels, Ammonites, Eurypterids, and Cnidaria. I don't think every creature in the game needs to be tameable, and they'd serve little to no purpose outside of resource farming, which is a bit lame. Lios need a crazy rework but should definitely be breedable, and Leeds have always been something I wish could be tamed. 

No to all of these. Unless the ASA mutation changes are significant, Rock Golems would be way too strong when bred up. Jug Bugs, Deathworms, and Rubble Golems are more examples of creatures that simply don't need to be tameable. Jug Bug stats are beyond pathetic, and Deathworms/Rubble Golems are more obstacles than actual creatures. 

No to Glowbugs for the same reason as Jug Bugs and no to Lampreys as having unlimited Lampreys would diminish the usefulness of HAZ gear for most occasions. Basilisks could probably use it, but would probably need some stat nerfs to make up for it. Karkinos would be alright.

This is what Enforcer Blueprints are for. Defense Units and Attack Drones are again more obstacle than they are actual tame, and them being tameable was once a bug that was thankfully fixed. 

Astrocetus would be fine for breeding, Parakeet Fish Schools are another "creature" that just doesn't really need to be tameable for any reason. 

Griffins fine, Fenrir no. You get Fenrir as a reward for completing the boss fight, making it breedable invalidates that. They do deserve to be stronger though, they're not much more than a trophy tame.

Man you really came in here and just shot down most of everything. Not every tame needs to have combat stats so having “pathetic” stats is not a good argument(look at Snail and Bee). Not that I dont agree with the logic used in most cases, see my above post. Just think some things dont make valid immediate arguments, if it comes down to purely that you don’t like the idea I guess

Edited by UDGxKnight

47 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Craft a canteen. Congrats you tamed a water bug.

I wonder how you craft a canteen before level 54 without a blueprint 🤔 Oh yeah you can’t. That same logic can be applied to almost every scenario in the game, which doesn’t make it right. Craft a shotgun. Congrats you have basically invalidated needing a vast majority of tames that just are used to fight. Theres nothing wrong with a creature being tamable purely to fit the theme of the map its on. End of the day its not up to any of us

1 hour ago, UDGxKnight said:

I wonder how you craft a canteen before level 54 without a blueprint 🤔 Oh yeah you can’t. That same logic can be applied to almost every scenario in the game, which doesn’t make it right. Craft a shotgun. Congrats you have basically invalidated needing a vast majority of tames that just are used to fight. Theres nothing wrong with a creature being tamable purely to fit the theme of the map its on. End of the day its not up to any of us

Lol jk

For the Fenrir, I do think they should keep it as non-breedable, but yes it should get a stat boost - one easy way to do that would be to set them as fully imprinted (for that 20% stat boost) and also set whoever earned the Fenrir as the "imprinter" so they get the extra 30% attack/defense bonus when they ride it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UDGxKnight said:

Man you really came in here and just shot down most of everything. Not every tame needs to have combat stats so having “pathetic” stats is not a good argument(look at Snail and Bee).

Ok, let's talk about Jug Bugs, just as an example.

Genuinely tell me how long you'd use a Water Jug Bug on Scorched for? Because the only times I've ever used them is when I'm starting out and away from water sources. That's such a small tame window for a creature that serves the same function tamed as it does wild. Snails and Bees are used through multiple stages of the game on multiple maps, Water Jug Bugs are only really useful on Scorched because the other maps they're on have way more water and the deserts are usually accessed at later stages of gameplay. Oil Jug Bugs are such a nothing creature too, you get enough oil from them to make Gasoline (Which you could also kill an Elemental for) and make an Oil Pump, then never worry about oil again. And this is again only on Scorched, every other map they're on has Oil Nodes and Oil Veins that are in better locations and give you far more oil.

25 minutes ago, Qwertymine said:

Ok, let's talk about Jug Bugs, just as an example.

Genuinely tell me how long you'd use a Water Jug Bug on Scorched for? Because the only times I've ever used them is when I'm starting out and away from water sources. That's such a small tame window for a creature that serves the same function tamed as it does wild. Snails and Bees are used through multiple stages of the game on multiple maps, Water Jug Bugs are only really useful on Scorched because the other maps they're on have way more water and the deserts are usually accessed at later stages of gameplay. Oil Jug Bugs are such a nothing creature too, you get enough oil from them to make Gasoline (Which you could also kill an Elemental for) and make an Oil Pump, then never worry about oil again. And this is again only on Scorched, every other map they're on has Oil Nodes and Oil Veins that are in better locations and give you far more oil.

Just to curb this pointless back and forth over wether or not something deserves to be tamable or not. If you read my comment above were I gave my opinion on basically everything the OP mentioned, you will see that while I don't comprehend why the Jug Bugs aren't tamable since we tame other bugs, I do also believe creatures that exist purely for resources or as an obstacle should be left alone. 

If light shoulder pets did not have the max level radar then they would be basically useless outside of Aberration if the map they were on didn't need the nameless deterrent. So who cares if the Jug Bug is only useful in desert areas like on Scorched. It's not the Jug Bug's fault that all the mod map makers surround their deserts with ocean or have a ton of water in them, so the water one ends up useless. The competition for the Oil one is just too high of a hurdle for it to overcome so I am not gonna fight on that one.

Edited by UDGxKnight
auto correct changed deterrent to detergent