Movement Speed Changes in ASA

TankinTBone

10 hours ago, wildbill said:

Yes, if you carefully read the community crunch about this, they have said that there will be a setting to enable speed leveling. Really, it is only the official servers that will get this speed nerf.

Not sure why everyone is talking like this won't be a thing, but then what would be the fun of actually sticking to the facts? :)

Well, thats good it can be changed. I genuinely believe it shouldn't effect everyone, just players that choose to be on officials.

As for your second paragraph, its because its a genuine concern? The PVP meta leaks into every other aspect of Ark in many ways, and it affects those of us that want to.. you know, play the game we paid for, in the way WE choose?

50 minutes ago, Countrydude89 said:

Well, thats good it can be changed. I genuinely believe it shouldn't effect everyone, just players that choose to be on officials.

As for your second paragraph, its because its a genuine concern? The PVP meta leaks into every other aspect of Ark in many ways, and it affects those of us that want to.. you know, play the game we paid for, in the way WE choose?

Indeed PvP and PvE are completely different games, but unfortunately they've ruled out separate balancing. However, I do think they could certainly expand significantly on the options settings and some things they've already done in the past like Cryo sickness etc working slightly differently between PvP/PvE, enabling and disabling features more appropriate to each of them. It's always been very disappointing to see some of the creature over-nerfs for PvE like the Stego TLC'ed on release was fantastic only to go back to...whatever. 

10 hours ago, Countrydude89 said:

What I meant in the 2nd paragraph, is that nearly every discussion of the speed leveling nerf makes no mention that this is only for official servers. Over 50% of the player base does not play on official servers, but they seem to get talked about like that is the only way to play ARK. Personally, I've played about 10k hours of ARK, with less than 1K of that on official servers. That was enough for me to realize I never want to play on an official server again.

I'm probably the only one to mention that it is only officials in this thread. An yes, the PvP meta sucks for all of us that play PvE (a subject for a whole different thread). Once again, PvP players are a minority, but get the attention in the game as if they are a much larger part of the game than they actually are. There are games that are just PvP. Also games that are just PvE. Those types of games work much better in my opinion than the mix that is ARK. If there was a PvE only version of ARK, I'd play that. Nothing really beats ARK at the moment (at least for me).

genesis two needs reworked  (maybe gen one too idk).... there needs to be some sort of control on trade so you cant just get top of the line soakers and saddles and whatever without any work its not fun for the victims and i dont see how you can enjoy that also when genesis two or if it comes out it should not be way much better than grabbing a anky and argy and farming legit ... thats pay to win

it kind of sucks because the tribes who survive should get strong lines, but down the line of dlcs when the fresh wipe starts players will be way behind even on a month of no transfers by the time they are out they will have no chance of surviving thats why defenses need tweaked in some way imo .....this is all connected to move speed in my opinion its all the same problem.

In terms of the speed nerf being "optional" depending on (server) .ini settings, I am skeptical. I refer to the flyer speed nerf that came out ages ago (very similar to this!) and then a while later a patch allowed the flyer speed to be .ini controllable. However that patch has never worked 100% with movement stats being reset at odd times, or not applying at all, or just not working.

And with regard to PVE / PVP meta and "rules": Someone above said "its one game" - live with it. It is not only "the meta" that punishes PVE people. Why are decay rules different between the two game modes? When someone is offline for x days, then make their dinos / structures open to claiming by a 3rd party - and the 3rd party can choose to build on or destroy the ruins? Why can PVE not pick up wild dinos with a flyer? Because PVE people don't protect a base like PVP people do so griefing is an issue. My view here is bent towards PVP - any person that builds a monstrous blockade across the safe costal road from A to B SHOULD have 20 pegos and 30 raptors and half a dozen acid spitting arthropleurid's dropped in the middle of their base ;) But yeah - this lot is just my opinion. The best answer is not to play official, and the really top tier answer is to host your own server(s) to play the game as you like!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/18/2023 at 10:58 AM, DirkInSA said:

In terms of the speed nerf being "optional" depending on (server) .ini settings, I am skeptical. I refer to the flyer speed nerf that came out ages ago (very similar to this!) and then a while later a patch allowed the flyer speed to be .ini controllable. However that patch has never worked 100% with movement stats being reset at odd times, or not applying at all, or just not working.

And with regard to PVE / PVP meta and "rules": Someone above said "its one game" - live with it. It is not only "the meta" that punishes PVE people. Why are decay rules different between the two game modes? When someone is offline for x days, then make their dinos / structures open to claiming by a 3rd party - and the 3rd party can choose to build on or destroy the ruins? Why can PVE not pick up wild dinos with a flyer? Because PVE people don't protect a base like PVP people do so griefing is an issue. My view here is bent towards PVP - any person that builds a monstrous blockade across the safe costal road from A to B SHOULD have 20 pegos and 30 raptors and half a dozen acid spitting arthropleurid's dropped in the middle of their base ;) But yeah - this lot is just my opinion. The best answer is not to play official, and the really top tier answer is to host your own server(s) to play the game as you like!

you need coffee

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, akosmc5 said:

Genesis boss and missions will need heavy rebalancing if they get rid off movement speed levels

Ive seen this posted many times on YT. Those missions were largely garbage and need a complete overhaul anyway. Gen 1 is so far down the pipeline I dont even think it's worth really talking about now.

However, it would be sick if we could do the Bloodstalker and Manta ray races against other players. Maybe a separate lobby system similar to how GTAV does its racing.

I always thought the concept of the races was so cool, just the execution was an utter failure (sadly a familiar theme with WC).

Edited by St1ckyBandit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 5:19 PM, DrSmithDVM said:

I'm actually pretty happy with it. It will increase the skill required to survive early game and hopefully bring more skill and less desync into PVP combat. The game has evolved into easy mode over the years and I'm glad they are making adjustments.

Sure... ill just have stand off with a raptor when i spawn some random place on top of a rock, hoping it wont pathfind its way to me while yelling for help... skills

the kidnapping babies makes it clearer to why but i heard only lower tier dinos so its not that crazy to still have movement .... well see what happens there are more changes that i like than what i dont like so im optimistic.... im just a console player waiting trying to watch too many asa videos so my experience is genuin but i can get a good start once i step on a server

53 minutes ago, zero064 said:

I was thinking that last night too as I was outrunning an alpha carno on foot. Not sure that would've been possible in ASE without some good luck.

Maybe my "hardcore" skills and thousands of ArkSE hours make it somewhat a second nature for me to not die lol.
But I find it hard to actually die, or even get really hurt from wildlife ASA encounters unless its a decision for me because I need a respawn.
Yes movement speed is buffed, no actual fact checking, but so it feels. Stamina also seems "buffed"
Maybe its the lag, but I can easily outrun raptors...
The animals have a hard time dropping a hit, even when standing still...
So the little fast strave to the left, right before beeing attacked by Raptor, will make it miss or you can even trow it off a cliff. Same with Hyenadon, laying on the edge of a cliff will make them all jump over you and dissapear in the void...
Swim upwards to avoid a sharkbite, they will even ignore you if you are floating...
I feel like its way too easy now... 
Is it me and my lag or is this a general conviction?

Ow and,,, the AI, pathfinding is also insanely terrible!

Edited by SunsetErosion
  • Like 2