Ark Ascended Questions

Justin990406

23 hours ago, Donastator said:

tysm...my wife would kill me if I wasted 50$

You have until oct 31 to play ASE then (if) ALL ASE servers go pop if not before .. thats really not much time to enjoy ark imo, you can wait and buy ASA but it will be in early access so be prepared for possible rollbacks / (more) bugs and wipes.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Even with UE5 being multiplatform there is still at least a little bit of work that is needed to run a game on each platform, especially a larger game like ARK. It's possible that they might be able to roll out on consoles at the same time, but I wouldn't count on it. The contract they signed with Nitrado only specifies PC, so obviously they're going to focus on PC first so they can meet that deadline without paying any extra money if they can help it.

In theory it's not that hard to publish a game to multiple platforms, but when you look at WildCard's history there is usually a surprisingly large amount of time between their PC releases and the other platforms. WildCard might surprise us and do consoles at the same time, or even very soon after PC, but based on their history I wouldn't count on that happening, there will probably be a time delay.

For cross play  biggest issues likely will be  Technical Challenges (input latency, graphics settings, and performance optimization) and Platform Policies (such as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo). 

Time will tell what they did, try to do, and ultimately achieved ... 

44 minutes ago, Duffmek said:

You have until oct 31 to play ASE then (if) ALL ASE servers go pop if not before .. thats really not much time to enjoy ark imo, you can wait and buy ASA but it will be in early access so be prepared for possible rollbacks / (more) bugs and wipes.

Very unlikely that all ASE servers go "pop". There are hosted servers on platforms like G-Portal, there are clusters that are running at peoples homes. There are also other ways to play ASE that don't involve servers at all. The OP did not say if he was on console or PC, which makes a difference too.

If ASE keeps being supported, and really why wouldn't it? No one has said it won't be supported. I can see it as the more popular of choices between ASE and ASA for at least a year. If you have a choice to play on a 10 server ASE cluster with 10 different maps and 2 or 3 maps of ASA, I think a lot of people will chose ASE, or maybe not play ARK at all. 

It has already been described how you can get a save (I think next Wednesday) and load it on a PC to run the server or just buy a monthly subscription from Nitrado and select an official server save and play that. 

There is nothing going just "pop".

Edit: Well one chance that they go pop. If no one buys ASA (seems unlikely) and they lose so much money that the company goes under, then "pop". Of course this can happen to any game and has.

Edited by wildbill

16 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Very unlikely that all ASE servers go "pop". There are hosted servers on platforms like G-Portal, there are clusters that are running at peoples homes. There are also other ways to play ASE that don't involve servers at all. The OP did not say if he was on console or PC, which makes a difference too.

If ASE keeps being supported, and really why wouldn't it? No one has said it won't be supported. I can see it as the more popular of choices between ASE and ASA for at least a year. If you have a choice to play on a 10 server ASE cluster with 10 different maps and 2 or 3 maps of ASA, I think a lot of people will chose ASE, or maybe not play ARK at all. 

It has already been described how you can get a save (I think next Wednesday) and load it on a PC to run the server or just buy a monthly subscription from Nitrado and select an official server save and play that. 

There is nothing going just "pop".

Edit: Well one chance that they go pop. If no one buys ASA (seems unlikely) and they lose so much money that the company goes under, then "pop". Of course this can happen to any game and has.

OK all OFFICIAL servers that are run by WC are going pop and afaik and remember they did say ASE was not going to be supported after ASA is launched.

Yes we / you can rent a server from nitrado and put the save file that you have downloaded onto it but thats it - it is not like the official network that you can see now, but you can play unofficial no problem - until something goes belly up then its going to be a bigger problem.

3 hours ago, Duffmek said:

OK all OFFICIAL servers that are run by WC are going pop and afaik and remember they did say ASE was not going to be supported after ASA is launched.

Yes we / you can rent a server from nitrado and put the save file that you have downloaded onto it but thats it - it is not like the official network that you can see now, but you can play unofficial no problem - until something goes belly up then its going to be a bigger problem.

Where did they say ASE will not be supported? I don't recall that, just the shutdown of the official servers. 

Clearly, there is support of ASE after ASA is launched. If there was no support, then why would you be able to load an official server save in a Nitrado hosted ARK game?

Also I don't think "thats it". If you look now, there is lot more that you see than the official network. You just need to take your blinders, em, I mean filters off.

Using the OFFICIAL SERVERS filter I see 1763 servers. Using the UNOFFIICIAL filter I see 2102 (although there might be more).

There is also PC single player and other modes to play ARK.

Even if you don't use a save from an official server, you can still play ASE, you just need to start a new game. So nothing going "pop" except some official server saves if they are never downloaded and later become unavailable.

Edited by wildbill
typo
  • Facepalm 1

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Where did they say ASE will not be supported?

ARK: Survival Evolved Updates: will be limited to crashes and critical bug fixes

You can host the game on a server or play SP but other than that. The game is no longer being developed. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

ARK: Survival Evolved Updates: will be limited to crashes and critical bug fixes

You can host the game on a server or play SP but other than that. The game is no longer being developed. 

Thanks for the clarification, I would call this no longer being updated, not no longer being supported. 

Even with no updates, we might see new content, since most of the new content I've played in the last few years in ARK has been from modders. Personally, I don't see this stopping me from playing ASE for a few more years until I switch to ASA or some other game, or just find another hobby.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, wildbill said:

Where did they say ASE will not be supported? I don't recall that, just the shutdown of the official servers. 

Clearly, there is support of ASE after ASA is launched. If there was no support, then why would you be able to load an official server save in a Nitrado hosted ARK game?

Also I don't think "thats it". If you look now, there is lot more that you see than the official network. You just need to take your blinders, em, I mean filters off.

Using the OFFICIAL SERVERS filter I see 1763 servers. Using the UNOFFIICIAL filter I see 2102 (although there might be more).

There is also PC single player and other modes to play ARK.

Even if you don't use a save from an official server, you can still play ASE, you just need to start a new game. So nothing going "pop" except some official server saves if they are never downloaded and later become unavailable.

CC 355 has all the info u need.

On 8/27/2023 at 10:37 AM, Duffmek said:

CC 355 has all the info u need.

Thanks. I did read that 5 or 6 months ago when it first came out. I guess I didn't remember all the details too well :)

It also says in CC 355, that ASA will be out at the end of August, so I wouldn't take everything in there as still being accurate :)

Edited by wildbill

9 hours ago, wildbill said:

Thanks. I did read that 5 or 6 months ago when it first came out. I guess I didn't remember all the details too well :)

It also says in CC 355, that ASA will be out at the end of August, so I wouldn't take everything in there as still being accurate :)

...why, is there anything they say that is accurate?!? :D:D:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, RazourBlade said:

Does anyone know a date for when asa releases or is it gonna be delayed again? Because I need to make sure I'm off work when it drops

I did something like that with my friends when City of Heroes launched.  It took well over 4 hrs before I could even get playing....and after that, it was a s(&*show... Luckily day 2 was better.

• 1 month later...

What game modes are planned for asa? I know smalltribes has been confirmed next to the regular official pvp and pve, but no word on anything else. I am personally interested to know whether we will have orp servers again, but it would be good to have a list of all planned modes, maybe even including new ones to replace less popular ones. Kinda important to know for a lot of people before buying the game.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Noricha said:

Hopefully it releases on Halloween, so far it’s been all tricks and no treats.

I think based on the contract they have, releasing on the 31st is shaky ground - wording in legal docs is always stressed and I think ASA needs to be out prior to the 31st. I would expect it before then but not by that much.

1 hour ago, A1phaDrag0n01 said:

Are Mods going to be available on Official ASA Servers? Are people on Official servers going to able to purchase mods when they arrive and be able to use them on Official servers?

I'm wondering this as well.

I'm a playstation player so I'm not familiar with ark mods, but if there are certain powerful ones that players can buy, the game could possibly become pay to win.

Again, not sure if such game changing mods exist, but I see it as a potential pitfall.

• Volunteer Moderator
42 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

the game could possibly become pay to win.

Not really since everyone on the unofficial server would have to be running the same mods. It would just be 'pay to be equal'. 

No point in mods on official servers. It would just become part of the game similar to parts of S+. 

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A1phaDrag0n01 said:

Are Mods going to be available on Official ASA Servers? Are people on Official servers going to able to purchase mods when they arrive and be able to use them on Official servers?

I doubt it. WildCard, like most games, seems to be pretty dedicated to the idea that mods are only for unofficial servers.

Of course they could surprise us, but it's pretty safe to assume mods will not be used on official servers.

20 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Not really since everyone on the unofficial server would have to be running the same mods. It would just be 'pay to be equal'. 

No point in mods on official servers. It would just become part of the game similar to parts of S+. 

I guess that opens up a whole other can of worms where you essentially have to pay to play on certain servers. Kinda seems like making mods purchasable beyond purely cosmetic stuff is going to lead to headaches. Or maybe I'm missing something here.