Your friendly reminder about Overwolf

RealNomad

One fine little detail im sure most of you missed is that Snail wants to bring paid mods to console with overwolf. Overwolf are known degenerates, their mod manager is as invasive as it gets, and the terms of use for it make that point very clear.   Overwolf is known to also cause performance issues so there's that too. If overwolf gets crammed down our throats on PC and paid mods become a thing through them I will not be buying it. If I choose to support a mod creator I want for them to get ALL of the money i donate. Not 70% of it. Not 80% of it. ALL of it. And If I choose to support a mod creator, it is MY choice. Not theirs. 

These scum are trying to turn our passion into their product and that ENRAGES me.

6 hours ago, RealNomad said:

One fine little detail im sure most of you missed is that Snail wants to bring paid mods to console with overwolf. Overwolf are known degenerates, their mod manager is as invasive as it gets, and the terms of use for it make that point very clear.   Overwolf is known to also cause performance issues so there's that too.

Yeah, Overwolf is terrible and has been since the day it was launched.

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Gaming isn't about the passion for making great games anymore. It's a huge industry. The customer comes last after profits. 

One could easily make the argument that the "passion for making great games" sailed a long time ago, 1982 to be exact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts

It's easy to generalize about the industry, but doing so lets WC off the hook for their failings. There are plenty of companies that have a passion for making great games, the question is which games people want to spend their money on.

On the subject of greed, the unofficial servers will remain open BUT since day one unofficial admin owners have all said with their mouths you can "donate" when they mean in three months if you have not given any money toward this server (paypal subscription monthly sub) your character get's the ol McDonald's employee of the month reward.  Because you can be easily replaced.  

1 hour ago, SarahMonette said:

On the subject of greed, the unofficial servers will remain open BUT since day one unofficial admin owners have all said with their mouths you can "donate" when they mean in three months if you have not given any money toward this server (paypal subscription monthly sub) your character get's the ol McDonald's employee of the month reward.  Because you can be easily replaced.  

people have been charging players on private minecraft servers for years.  This is not against the CoC and is a very common way of private servers paying the fees needed to keep the server running.

20 hours ago, SarahMonette said:

since day one unofficial admin owners have all said with their mouths you can "donate" when they mean in three months if you have not given any money toward this server (paypal subscription monthly sub) your character get's the ol McDonald's employee of the month reward.  Because you can be easily replaced.  

That's a sweeping generalization if I've seen one. I don't ask for donations. If people like my server enough to ask if it's possible to do so then I point them to the donate option on nitrado, but never have I once asked someone to dig into their pockets for my benefit. Hell, I even refund them their donations out of my pocket via PayPal or cash app if they end up having to get the boot from the server or simply can't play anymore before the server is removed from the cluster. If you have the funds and budget wisely you just pay it as you would any other bill.

On 4/6/2023 at 12:19 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

Gaming isn't about the passion for making great games anymore. It's a huge industry. The customer comes last after profits. 

There's still a precious few game companies that do what they do for the love of it. The warframe devs come to mind. Game's completely free and mostly kept afloat by microtransactions players use to buy plantinum which doesn't offer them anything outside of cosmetics a player can't get freely if they grind and wait out crafting times. Hell, you don't even need to buy platinum yourself since it's tradable between players. Game's got a whole economy, devs that actually play the game and livestream it and giveaways, and mostly runs smoothly barring a hiccup or two on occasion. It's only real flaw is that occasionally they drag their feet on dropping the gavel on popular problem players because they're part of a protected group (those who've played long enough probably know all about AGGP and his lunacy).

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

There's still a precious few game companies that do what they do for the love of it. The warframe devs come to mind. Game's completely free and mostly kept afloat by microtransactions players use to buy plantinum which doesn't offer them anything outside of cosmetics a player can't get freely if they grind and wait out crafting times. Hell, you don't even need to buy platinum yourself since it's tradable between players. Game's got a whole economy, devs that actually play the game and livestream it and giveaways, and mostly runs smoothly barring a hiccup or two on occasion. It's only real flaw is that occasionally they drag their feet on dropping the gavel on popular problem players because they're part of a protected group (those who've played long enough probably know all about AGGP and his lunacy).

Well, I would imagine most game companies build games for the love of it. That's pretty obvious. It's the economies of scale that sneak in and tend to muddy the waters. It's not something most small companies can escape really. At some point, if your product catches on, you need investors or partners and things change. Popular products can't stay small. It's a bit of a double-edged sword. This applies to all companies, not just game studios. 

On 4/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, darkradeon said:

for sure mod.io would be a far better less bloated gamer friendly alternatives and still it supports multiple platforms and consoles, also with ad hoc support for unreal engine too (official ue 5.x support is cooking in these days).

WildCard said they'd be using mod.io for Ark 2.  So I guess that was an unintended announcement too 😞

image.png.e8f4f733bd8285004aa184a84ec33c7a.pnghttps://blog.mod.io/studio-wildcards-ark-2-to-feature-mod-io-s-revolutionary-cross-platform-ugc-support-in-2023-225af540b7cd

33 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Well, I would imagine most game companies build games for the love of it. That's pretty obvious. It's the economies of scale that sneak in and tend to muddy the waters. It's not something most small companies can escape really. At some point, if your product catches on, you need investors or partners and things change. Popular products can't stay small. It's a bit of a double-edged sword. This applies to all companies, not just game studios. 

A sad truth if there ever was one I'll admit. No man should hope that their hobby or personal pet joy remains niche to avoid that corruption and yet here we are. Still it makes one wonder why some companies go whole hog into the scummy practices rather than trying to slowly shift and giving reasonable explanations for what they do. 

15 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

WildCard said they'd be using mod.io for Ark 2.  So I guess that was an unintended announcement too 😞

image.png.e8f4f733bd8285004aa184a84ec33c7a.pnghttps://blog.mod.io/studio-wildcards-ark-2-to-feature-mod-io-s-revolutionary-cross-platform-ugc-support-in-2023-225af540b7cd

yes  I know, the fact they changed idea on everything really sucks. what's the advantage of using a d3d12 backend low overhead cpu if you waste again cpu scycle for that malware called overwolf?

Hey guys Or from the Overwolf support team here, I came across this post and I wanted to know if there is anything I can help your guys with...
Overwolf used to have some performance issues in the past but we feel most of them are behind us and if I'm wrong I would like the chance to make it right :)

If you have any performance issues with Overwolf or any of our apps please contact our support team via https://support.overwolf.com/en/support/tickets/new

I hope that with your help we can improve 🙏

25 minutes ago, Overwolf said:

I wanted to know if there is anything I can help your guys with...

You can help by dropping out and letting wildcard turn the project over to mod.io or keeping your collective yaps shut until tempers cool down. Either option is better than coming to a currently very inflamed forum to offer PR speak.

1 hour ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

You can help by dropping out and letting wildcard turn the project over to mod.io or keeping your collective yaps shut until tempers cool down. Either option is better than coming to a currently very inflamed forum to offer PR speak.

Fat chance of that happening. I have no intention of shutting up about this until Wildcard gets the message and goes back to Mod.io. We dont want paied mods anywhere near this game. I cant imagine a faster way to kill unofficial servers and by extension the game as a whole than charging for mods. 

45 minutes ago, Overwolf said:

Sadly I'm hot here to discuss business plans even if I have any effect on them, just a friendly head of support that saw your post and would like to ask of you to give us a chance here, and if you do have any issues we are here to help :)

Assuming you are actually from overwolf, why would you come here just to say please trust us? Not even willing to discuss the concerns ppl brought up about your company. Where is the point? 

1 hour ago, acat said:

Assuming you are actually from overwolf, why would you come here just to say please trust us? Not even willing to discuss the concerns ppl brought up about your company. Where is the point? 

I too, fail to see how this does anything. If they are trying to build trust, this approach isn't gonna work. After being stabbed in the back repeatedly by Snail and Wildcard backtracking on everything they originally said about the remaster and probably lying to us under Snail's orders, im not exactly begging for the chance to put my trust into yet another company.  I am just so freaking tired of the abuse. The having to watch every single hobby I have ever known or cared about destroyed in the worst possible ways by companies who dont give a poop. Its depressing, and ive had about as much as I can stand. (and I say that as someone who bought the game on the first day of Early access in June of 2015, almost 8 years ago).

11 hours ago, acat said:

This. Making an account purely to try and assuage fears despite having a terrible reputation doesn't actually calm people down, nor does posting a support link when people here are extremely accustomed to having their support tickets ignored outright for months at a time. All it does is smack of trying to get ahead of the clearly very angry and uninterested in hearing mob so they can say "well shucks, we tried to reach out"

On 4/8/2023 at 3:14 AM, Overwolf said:

Hey guys Or from the Overwolf support team here, I came across this post and I wanted to know if there is anything I can help your guys with...
Overwolf used to have some performance issues in the past but we feel most of them are behind us and if I'm wrong I would like the chance to make it right :)

If you have any performance issues with Overwolf or any of our apps please contact our support team via https://support.overwolf.com/en/support/tickets/new

I hope that with your help we can improve 🙏

No matter how sincere you as an individual may be, the fact is you still work for Overwolf, a company with an anti-consumer business model that remarkably few players would ever want to allow on their computers. Any talk of "Support" isn't going to fix that fundamental problem.

* Worst case description, Overwolf is basically malware.

* Best case description, Overwolf is bad bloatware.

* Somewhere in the middle, Overwolf is basically spamware.

The vast majority of OW installs are forced on players that don't want it because it's bundled or required by some game or other software. Case in point - it looks like this corporate agreement between OW and WildCard will force thousands and thousands of unwilling players to install Overwolf for mod management, something they would never do given a choice. If we were dealing with a free market, one in which players could choose their own mod management tool, only a vanishingly small number of those players would actually choose OW.

What can you do to improve? Work for a company with a product that players actually want because it benefits them.

18 hours ago, Overwolf said:

Sadly I'm hot here to discuss business plans even if I have any effect on them, just a friendly head of support that saw your post and would like to ask of you to give us a chance here, and if you do have any issues we are here to help :)

Well, nothing serious, only because of you Ps4 and Xbox One players will no longer play ASA, and the excess will lose everything irretrievably.  I've never been for Modding or using them.  I was not in favor of using bugs in the game "GLITCH".  And how do you solve the problem when this application has notorious blue screens, mods only have a rather destructive effect. 

Besides, I'm not in the habit of buying something a second time. Personally, I don't want you in ARK. 

I Not to buy ARK ASA Ark2! 

Archived