Closed. Ark: Survival Evolved Official Servers

ladymarina

you don't authenticate on wildcard at all. on PC only Seam account or EGS account (using EOS) are needed. on steam server is advertised through query port and then peer port too once players are online, on EGS ARK uses EOS TLS 1.2 connections to advertise the server to epic. Both results responding showing you the servers on the ingame server browser (and on steam also on steam server browser too, that also allow to add servers manually with IP:queryport or just ip if queryport is in an auto-scanned range, like 27015-27020). only connection to wildcard services are done by client to download some txt files: official server list, "advertise" on main menu (the top-left box) and nothing more. servers may query wildcard addresses too if using default dynamic ini and default livetuning (an btw default livetuning link is dead) as well other stuff if set to default like ban list or text filtering. Private server owners can setup a webserver to self or third party hosted links for them or just don't use them.

Edited by darkradeon

54 minutes ago, darkradeon said:

Private server owners can setup a webserver to self or third party hosted links for them or just don't use them.

Interesting. It typically takes so long to connect to ARK servers (as compared to Conan, Valheim & others) that I've been working from the assumption that WC was involved in the process, and that the portion of the infrastructure that WC is responsible for has been the cause of the slowness.

Having said that, connection still needs the Steam system, which means that WildCard could (as far as I know) tell Steam to stop allowing logins to ASE servers, and likewise for Epic users. Or is there something I'm overlooking?

Edited by Pipinghot

8 hours ago, darkradeon said:

you don't authenticate on wildcard at all. on PC only Seam account or EGS account (using EOS) are needed. on steam server is advertised through query port and then peer port too once players are online, on EGS ARK uses EOS TLS 1.2 connections to advertise the server to epic. Both results responding showing you the servers on the ingame server browser (and on steam also on steam server browser too, that also allow to add servers manually with IP:queryport or just ip if queryport is in an auto-scanned range, like 27015-27020). only connection to wildcard services are done by client to download some txt files: official server list, "advertise" on main menu (the top-left box) and nothing more. servers may query wildcard addresses too if using default dynamic ini and default livetuning (an btw default livetuning link is dead) as well other stuff if set to default like ban list or text filtering. Private server owners can setup a webserver to self or third party hosted links for them or just don't use them.

Agreed - but there is a huge caveat here: Steam (at least - I cannot comment on Epic launcher) will not allow the game to run unless it is up to date. So all wildcard has to do is push a patch that stops online play. Game Over.

Further, even if there is no direct "enemy action" by the game publisher, the game is no longer supported and receiving updates, and it will be an inevitable matter of time (granted this could be a long time) before the steam and or epic API that deals with server advertising and client authentication alters. At which point ASE is again game over.

10 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Interesting. It typically takes so long to connect to ARK servers (as compared to Conan, Valheim & others) that I've been working from the assumption that WC was involved in the process, and that the portion of the infrastructure that WC is responsible for has been the cause of the slowness.

Having said that, connection still needs the Steam system, which means that WildCard could (as far as I know) tell Steam to stop allowing logins to ASE servers, and likewise for Epic users. Or is there something I'm overlooking?

wildcard, like ANY developer, could theoretically patch the game to make unofficial servers stop working as well they could theoretically stop making the entire game to work. but than legal trial would just start.

2 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Agreed - but there is a huge caveat here: Steam (at least - I cannot comment on Epic launcher) will not allow the game to run unless it is up to date. So all wildcard has to do is push a patch that stops online play. Game Over.

Further, even if there is no direct "enemy action" by the game publisher, the game is no longer supported and receiving updates, and it will be an inevitable matter of time (granted this could be a long time) before the steam and or epic API that deals with server advertising and client authentication alters. At which point ASE is again game over.

Despite games using third party/publishers web services, any game with online features that just uses Steam APIs simply still wroks.
ARK just needs Steam/EOS basic services to server advertise, once connected such services aren't even directly involved for players. Steam also has even a more solid platform since you can manually add with IP and port servers, bypassing the ingame server browser.

Instead games using publishers (EA, Ubisoft, Activision) or third party online features (punkbuster, IGN etc) required community patches to continue to work (and in a lot of cases the publisher got angry cuze they "cut" "potential" new buyers on "newer games").

Edited by darkradeon

I could also say this: third party patches aren't so impossible: ARK comes already shipped with PDB files (Program Database files) for debugging purposes. Actually there are already third party "hacks" that add additional features to servers (and mods), e.g.: ARK Server API.

Edited by darkradeon

2 hours ago, darkradeon said:

wildcard, like ANY developer, could theoretically patch the game to make unofficial servers stop working as well they could theoretically stop making the entire game to work. but than legal trial would just start.

That's pretty much wishful thinking.

How many times can you find where game publishers were sued by players? And even worse, how many were successful?

I mean, I could be missing something here, but I don't think so. Players threaten lawsuits constantly on game forums everywhere and yet they never happen. The only chance of a lawsuit would be if the shareholders believed that WC was damaging their value, and given what we have learned about the ownership of WC/SG that's not going to happen.

2 hours ago, darkradeon said:

I could also say this: third party patches aren't so impossible: ARK comes already shipped with PDB files (Program Database files) for debugging purposes. Actually there are already third party "hacks" that add additional features to servers (and mods), e.g.: ARK Server API.

That seems to be a more likely answer. If they no longer support network/group play then it's fair game for someone to put out a 3rd party patch that allows people to do it on their own, we've seen than plenty of times.

19 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

The above assumes that the multie-player version of ASE continues working after ASA is released. Even for private servers, we have to authenticate through WildCard+Steam A&A infrastructure, there's no guarantee that will continue to work after they stop official support for ASE.

Would be even more messed up because right now they are telling us we will be able to, but I wouldn't put it passed them at all. Imagine purchasing a server and them letting you save your maps to it just to find out they are stopping that too? After telling us it's an option? Oof

I'm not even going to trust ASA servers sticking around long upon Ark 2 release...

I'm sure I'm not alone in that lack of trust issue they have brought upon us all.

I should have learned my lesson after the Legacy debacle heh, but alas, Ark always brought me back eventually (multiple times)...

Love-hate relationship XD

FB_IMG_1686233633776.jpg

Edited by Mike585x
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 8:44 PM, GP said:

Why would anyone be expecting official servers for a game to last forever?

The number 1 reason theres zero incentive for official players to ever buy ASA or Ark 2. Its game over. They couldve made millions just by introducing a battle pass or subscription of some sort that people wouldve happily paid, guaranteed, instead those players will be walking away. Very smart wildcard, good job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes you are right.  Just wondering if the official and legacy will download the ini file and go to their own servers avoiding buying ASA.  Until volunteers buy and test ASA.  If that turns out to be a failure, they will stay with rented or own servers.  Which in a chain reaction can lower the ratings selling ;) WC/SG can go down significantly.

42 minutes ago, Noffek said:

Yes you are right.  Just wondering if the official and legacy will download the ini file and go to their own servers avoiding buying ASA.  Until volunteers buy and test ASA.  If that turns out to be a failure, they will stay with rented or own servers.  Which in a chain reaction can lower the ratings selling ;) WC/SG can go down significantly.

No doubt some will. Ive looked into it and its $200 aud a year for 1 server which is cool. But i love map hopping so a cluster of even 3 or 4 maps is out of the question. If i want them all running at once, and being heavy breeder thay'd have to be running. Ive got an embarrassing amount of hrs in ark, been resetting those damn timers and sweat'n cooldowns continuously since 2016, so maybe its time to hang up the old tek suit anyway lol. Wildcard have proven playing on official isnt worth anyones time and effort so if i have to play on single player to get my fix a little longer it might as well be on ASE, not some groundhog day carbon copy. To be honest ive just had a gut full of wildcard. Their slogan should be 'KEEP YOUR EXPECTATIONS LOW AND YOU'LL NEVER BE DISAPPOINTED"

Edited by 460Galaxy

On 6/11/2023 at 2:41 PM, Mike585x said:

Here's hoping that they will change their mind last minute and leave at least a few servers open like they did with legacy.

One can dream right?

Agreed that's what I'm coping they keep a few open for the players that do not want to go to also because as I said it is a rehashed game of the original probably going to have the same bugs as well since they haven't fixed it in the original how are they going to fix it in the new game.pp

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ladymarina said:

Agreed that's what I'm coping they keep a few open for the players that do not want to go to also because as I said it is a rehashed game of the original probably going to have the same bugs as well since they haven't fixed it in the original how are they going to fix it in the new game.pp

Also, it would be more fair for those who don't have next gen. Especially those who play as a family and can't afford multiple next gen consoles. I've already seen so many upset about that.

I just noticed today that there are STILL legacy servers running (my character still exists! ^-^), and they are quite populated as well!

So if they did it with Legacy, I don't see the harm with doing it with official servers for people to "migrate" to.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:02 PM, ONIXxCrow said:

I asked the same question. So far all I see is the option to rent a server which is not an option for many people. 

I paid for ark years ago so I understand having to pay for a remastered version but for those that want to continue to play they're original save there must be an option for console players to have they're save to single player. I hope they work something out. Maybe they can use the account network they are setting up. If they can do it for Warframe, Destiny, and other games on PS4 they can figure something out.

Just use ark server manager locally. You can easily host your own server on your own machine and play. There is no performance impact, had 2 friends on with me yesterday and no issue.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Closed. Ark: Survival Evolved Official Servers
  • Joebl0w13 locked this topic