Mutated colours all vanished after update

DaveH

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Wildcard Community
4 hours ago, DeHammer said:

So based on this, I assume that my mutated dinos still in cryopods will also be impacted once released, even if I left them cryo'd and opened them 'down the road' long after the event was over? 

I would say as bad as eliminating hundreds of hours of breeding work to achieve specific colors, it also leaves me thinking there's no point in pursuing further color mutations in the future. Shame as that was an interesting aspect of the game, but a lot of work.

I would prefer not to have to use mods to get the best game experience, but alas...

Don't worry it doesn't break the feature of breeding color mutations itself, the problem is just that the array of colors went through a change that got things a little messed up.

We didn't remove any of the available colors, we just removed a ton of duplication that was occurring and making all these color reference inconsistent.

2 hours ago, Glydyr said:

Im confused why this has happened when im not using any mods that alter dinos and it seems others with the same bug dont either? 

2 hours ago, Zahlea said:

My guess was that it's mods that for some reason add colours....

It's any mods. what was happening was that every single mod added was duplicating the color definitions in the array. so there were multiple instances of every color.
When breeding and the game chooses random color mutation it randomly picks from any color definition. so not every index for "Red" was consistent. When we cleared out the bloat, indexes pointing to the duplicated colors were suddenly invalid and defaulting to white.

Now, I have a plan for making this problem recoverable from in the future, I can also get the game to reroll some new colors for everyone where there are these color indexes pointing to an invalid color (which is defaulting to white), then maybe there is some incentive to not feel like you have to spend 50 hours manually assigning colors to your creatures, and you might get some desirable colors back.

1 hour ago, ZenRowe said:

Don't worry it doesn't break the feature of breeding color mutations itself, the problem is just that the array of colors went through a change that got things a little messed up.

We didn't remove any of the available colors, we just removed a ton of duplication that was occurring and making all these color reference inconsistent.

It's any mods. what was happening was that every single mod added was duplicating the color definitions in the array. so there were multiple instances of every color.
When breeding and the game chooses random color mutation it randomly picks from any color definition. so not every index for "Red" was consistent. When we cleared out the bloat, indexes pointing to the duplicated colors were suddenly invalid and defaulting to white.

Now, I have a plan for making this problem recoverable from in the future, I can also get the game to reroll some new colors for everyone where there are these color indexes pointing to an invalid color (which is defaulting to white), then maybe there is some incentive to not feel like you have to spend 50 hours manually assigning colors to your creatures, and you might get some desirable colors back.

That makes total sense, Thankyou very much :) 

Re-rolling previously mutated colours would be great, atleast then people would have the option of manually changing them or keeping the new colours. When would this be done? Days? Weeks? 

11 hours ago, ZenRowe said:

After some investigation, I understand the cause of this...

Unfortunately, any colors lost from this update can't be automatically recovered ? .Dino colors, after their randomized selection, are saved to the creature and referenced by an index number only that is associated with a master array of colors. (No we can't change this unless you want your servers to slow to a crawl, string comparisons are resource expensive)

Unofficial servers (and singleplayer) that run mods are vulnerable to this issue and have always been, any change to the order of mods or anything that alters the contents of that array can cause the index to suddenly match up with a different color. It can happen at any time to any unofficial server (This last update had a pretty important change to the way mods merge color definitions to cut down on some bloated data, and that caused the issue this time)

However, I do recognize how much time everyone puts into breeding and hunting for their choice colors, and while we can't recover the lost colors, I am investigating methods for us to make it so that you can recover them in the future if this happens on your servers. I can't make any promises right now, I'm still in the investigation phase and we also have some larger bugs on our plate, the damage is also already done in this case.

Now while we can't automatically recover your lost colors it is possible for your server admins to do it manually (or yourself if on singleplayer), but don't be too hard on them if they choose not to do this, it will be very tedious and it's not their fault it happened either. There are admin commands for manually assigning colors to specific dino regions, and if you can identify what colors you had (possibly cross-referencing from the wiki, or if special mod colors you might have to ask the mod author for help) then a server admin can help you reapply the colors manually.

Again, I do apologize I know a lot of people put insane time into acquiring these color mutations, the change that caused this was made for the purpose of making the color system better so that we could add new colors in the future and make it so mods could better stack their own color definitions in. ?

Really? All my mutations are messed up. All that work making the perfect dinos gone down the drain. I hate Wildcard so, so much right now. I think I'm going to be taking a break from ARK for a while.

Mine does too. I'm on single player too. Fortunetaly, there is an admin code to put the color you want on dinos, so I spent two hours doing that ...

Every species got affected. Sometimes, everything got white, sometimes not. Not all the mutation-only-color vanished, some of my dinos kept cyan and magenta. Inside the same species, different color regions were affected from a dino to another.

Also, I have mutated deinonychus I did when the ark addition mod still have them. When the mod was removed, they became normal ark deinonychus and I put the color back on them using admin comand. Those deinonychus were NOT affected at all.

If this can help.

Dear Ark Developers regarding losing dino mutation colors

I speak for myself and i think maybe some others who have lost hundreds of hours and more of time and effort to mutate and groom colors into our dinos lines.....

Fix and test your garbage freaking updates, you know you're going to do these things, and either you simply don't care enough to test these things, or your quality assurance team need to be replaced. 

You have cost me countless mutations and painstakingly cultivated dinos. Because you didn't take the time and care for an event you had well planned months and months ahead of time and knew happens every single year on the exact same month and week. 

I love this game and appreciate what the team does do. But I am getting so tired of getting these broken updates time after time and saying oops and continuing to do the same thing. 

Fix your stuff.

So I was looking for a reason why all my hardly-mutated creatures suddenly went grey or white and I found this thread... Not really making me happy to know it's a real issue and can't just be fixed... yet it makes sense. I was messing with colors so much that I actually found different colors then any color palette on the wiki or net is listing but also I found at least 10k duplicates... 

That's why I see the reason for cleaning up the mess of the whole color-coding.

8 hours ago, ZenRowe said:

This also explains why most of the manually added colors of dinos stayed the same because usually people use the colors of palettes they find online and as those most of the time only refer to the first few (~60?) color codes they probably didn't change at all.

4 hours ago, Thegeekgroundhog said:

Also, I have mutated deinonychus I did when the ark addition mod still have them. When the mod was removed, they became normal ark deinonychus and I put the color back on them using admin comand. Those deinonychus were NOT affected at all.

I guess my second point applies to your Deinonynchus as well.

It is a pity that a major change like this doesn't go through some serious regression testing before being released and hopefully that WildCard learn from this and actually do some regression testing before moving forward with these changes.

I mean it is not like you don't have example saves to play with!

And what about the ones that didn't go to white, like my Pink Giga, that is now a standard Giga color.

• Wildcard Community

The current plan is that we'll be adding an admin command that can be used to reapply the correct colors on tamed dinos (So that in the future any changes to the color definitions array either by us or by mods will be effectively non-destructive).
In addition, because we can't recover the colors lost from this occurrence (the only factual memory of what those colors were is in your head), those colors that were lost will get re-rolled for new mutation colors.
I don't have an ETA on when that will be available, but it's in the works already.

1 hour ago, ZenRowe said:

In addition, because we can't recover the colors lost from this occurrence (the only factual memory of what those colors were is in your head), those colors that were lost will get re-rolled for new mutation colors.

And in our screenshots and tools like ARK Smart Breeding. BTW, if you breed the messed up dinos, they will pass on the white, not their original mutation.

7 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

And what about the ones that didn't go to white, like my Pink Giga, that is now a standard Giga color.

That's the issue for me as well. My lime green mutant Gigas are now regular Giga colors. Breeding Gigas for color mutation is a ton of work, way more than the average dino. 

As they were...

ThreeAmigos.thumb.jpg.9a57216fc2c1ab9282b53309b0b4f11c.jpg

As they are now....

disappointed2.jpg

10 hours ago, Luewen said:

Except it was mods conflicting with the update. They cant possibly test hundreds of mods for every patch. If You are playing with mods, its a risk you need to take.

Maybe they should have tested it with ANY mod?

20 hours ago, ZenRowe said:

It's any mods. what was happening was that every single mod added was duplicating the color definitions in the array. 

3 hours ago, Baklap said:

Maybe they should have tested it with ANY mod?

I don't think Wildcsrd should have to code around modders.  Modders should have to code around Wildcard.  Think of the impossibility of trying to improve your own game without breaking code written by countless other developers with varying styles, methods, and levels of quality.  When you use a mod there is always a risk as you are modifying the way the original software was intended to operate.  It's unfortunate and I feel for those that have lost a lot of work.  I breed for colors myself so I respect what was lost.

Winter Wonderland Event Changed The Colour of my Tame Dinos

I had bred up some awesome mutated megatheriums, Light green, hi vis green and hi vis pink ones. They all looked great, BUT as soon as the Winter Wonderland event started my lovely coloured megatheriums are now WHITE!!!! What the heck have wildcard done to my animals? :(

Has anyone else had this issue with the same or different animals?

10 minutes ago, KingDavido said:

Winter Wonderland Event Changed The Colour of my Tame Dinos

I had bred up some awesome mutated megatheriums, Light green, hi vis green and hi vis pink ones. They all looked great, BUT as soon as the Winter Wonderland event started my lovely coloured megatheriums are now WHITE!!!! What the heck have wildcard done to my animals? :(

Has anyone else had this issue with the same or different animals?

I would definitely suggest reading the thread before you post in it.

• Wildcard Community

Here is an option that should work pretty well for anyone that knows that none of the mods they had installed added any custom colors.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1940481639

This mod will try to correct all of your dino colors. It works by making assumptions about what the color definitions array looked like for you before the update that caused this, so It's not suitable for us to do in the core game... but as an option, this should actually work pretty well for many.

Archived