Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

Cedric

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well @Cedric as you may already know ARK is well known for its lack of balance.the game is stacked in the attackers favour vs defence when it comes to time and resources etc.me and my buddys have played since legacy and been alpha on many servers so i am not making this suggestion because i get stomped,i am making it because its a correct fact.If you want people to enjoy this game i would suggest what conan exiles does,i tried the game didn't like it but what they seriously did get right was their RAID window concept.on that game you can PVP 24 hours BUT you cant't attack/wipe bases outside of the RAID window.so 4pm to 11pm the wars begin.outside of that window people get a break and get chance to rebuild/repair/farm/raise etc.

Ark as it stands right now its just stupidly unhealthy.having to be on 24 hours a day to stop someone deleting your progress while you sleep is just bad for business.imagine someone goes out,payed £50 for your game and never gets passed bob status because they don't have the time or inclination to 24 hour camp a pixelated dino pen?.with a raid window their chances of survival raise from 0% to some actual percentage lol.

Having a raid window of 8 hours is more than enough to wipe someone(if you don't wipe them,you will the next day due to setting them back)and anyone who wants 24 hour raids just wants to grieve or have an easy PVE offline raid instead of playing ARK the way it's ment to be(the trailer shows massive wars not a tribe soaking the other while they sleep).this would remove the majority of issues.Meshing would have to happen while your online,snipping tames wouldn't be a thing,the boring and unbalanced offlining meta would not exist.people would feel they have breathing room after a wipe or a wipe attempt to carry on.logging out won't help you because its not ORP based and if you don't log in then thats your own fault.that was in your control,whats out of your control is being on 24 horus a day to stop being PVE offlined.raid windows benefit EVERYONE,not just the few.Right now,during a war,the 1st to go to sleep loses,that is just straight up crazy unhealthy and not needed at all.

As it stands right now,ARK is catering to the few at the expense of the many.if anyone i know in RL asks me if they should play ARK i tell them not to bother because i won't be responsible for recommending someone pay £50 to get stomped in to the ground and not even be able to attempt  do anything of significance to the ones who own servers in such a one sided fight.

I know this isn't a popular suggestion but fact of the matter is,24 hour base destruction is just unhealthy for people,for ARK and for Wildcards profits..

Soo,i suggest a game mode with an actual RAID window where its 24 hour PVP but your base and anything within the base cannot be killed outside of said RAID window.if you leave the base on a tame for example then its a free for all and you and your tames can be killed.Once the purge begins 4pm-11pm for example,then nothing is safe and everything is up for grabs/killing/destroying.

Ark PVE back at the every beginning, during beta was more fun than it is now.  My friends and i met on an official server back on day one of the beta and we loved it.  There was a sense of a thriving community from across the globe.  We did bosses together on weekends and shared the loot.  Tek was a luxury not an necessity. For 3 years solid we logged in to maintain our bases chat with our new friends and plan the weekends events.  It was the time when x2 every weekend was not a thing.  You made it to level 100 and that was that and yet we still carried on.  No ascension.  Where dino breeding was a must however we would give our cast aways to newbies for them to enjoy and if unfortunately there was no newbies we would responsibly dispose of them ourselves to keep numbers low.

we lived, breathed the island.  Then scorched came along and a new experience began.  It was welcomed, again many of us tried to join same server however it was difficukt as new players were now joining striaght to scorched earth.  Many of us separated and then the dreaded migration started.  We lost our scorched earth server, i remember we moved all our stuff back to the island leaving alot behind to decay as we were dino capped on island if we brought everything over.  It didnt deter us though.  But all that work accounted to alot of real hours.  Months down the line our island server was also on that cull list.  It broke our hearts knowing that was it as we couldnt be moving server to server and we decided to starve all our dinos and watch as all our stuff decayed infront of us.  But new servers on the horizon what could go wrong?  Everything!

Many of our friends gave up they had played 3 years solid and couldnt be bothered to start again.  We were different we did and boy what an unfriendly environment the game had fully released and maps were covered by pillars out of greed and people selling land for real money!  Yes paypal!  What?  this was preposterous, ive paid to play a game and someone was trying to make a profit by selling land belonging to a game we had the right to play.

There was no feel of community anymore.  You went offline worried to what you would find the next morning when you logged in.  Currently my bases are all cryoed i havent bothered with valguero on official as i didnt want the drama, the arguments, the fights and abuse that it brings.

So we decided to start our own server with friends from the very first island we played but the prices to be able to rent a cluster (all maps)  is ridiculous.  we are all full time employees we have families and a life outside of Ark therefore taming and breeding on higher settings is a must x4 currently as we dont want the game to be too easy and slowed he time for dinos to starve and buildings to decay etc.  Its more a relaxed environment.

We wanted to come back to official but servers are a nightmare atm as no room to build and rates too low.  Is there a possibility that you will open clusters on official so transferring can only be done via servers belonging to that cluster i.e having one of each map with higher rates of taming and breeding but half the amount of official i.e 30 people?  For example i would only be allowed to travel to 1 of each map, ab, extinction, centre, rag valguero etc. blonging to thst cluster i.e cluster 001, I would not be able to travel from cluster to cluster i.e the island belonging to cluster 001 to another island belonging to cluster 002 etc?  This would minimise the  people who are selling dinos land etc for paypal as well as you are limiting them to sell to that cluster alone instead of everyone.

If its not possible.  Could you rent out clusters instead of individual servers so groups of us can enjoy your game without having to fork out an extra 60 pounds plus per month?

If this is also not an option could you please allow transfers between our private servers without the need to remove the password set?  I want a cluster to be private between friends, if i wanted to have a public domain i would play on official.

Could you dino cap stats so the game is not so easy?  I mean what cant a 495 base giga kill?  Or soloing a boss with base stats of a 880 melee rex?  Where is the sense of community getting together for a common goal.

last suggestion.  Genesis... back to the beginning... wipe all servers after fixing the exploits or make all current official servers legacy and bring out fresh ones.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:35 PM, ladyteruki said:

The very nature of Ark makes playing on a server a community experience, especially for PvE people. Ark is a game that insist on making you spend hours building, taming, breeding, etc. Legacy players don't even have the "luxury" of server hopping, they're all in this together, days in days out.
After trying to play on a "regular" PvE server where people turned out to be nasty af, I moved to play on a Legacy PVE Rag server for hundreds of hours. I loved the people there. Some left, some stayed, of course, but there was a real spirit of community because there was just this map, and there was just us. Some of the veterans on the server ended up serving as unofficial admins (welcoming new people, giving them tips, helping them find a place to set up camp, helping them as they learned their way around, intervening in disputes, etc.). Legacy people do fine without the official support, but their isolation also makes them the less toxic communities of Ark. Something many other servers could learn from. To me, Legacy is the epitome of what Ark should be in PvE.

I think I speak for the majority of the community when I say the pvp legacy server should be first on the block. Followed by official event servers that remain low pop (auto-wipe pvp servers can go too). And if you have to lose any pve legacy servers, don’t bring the new set of legacies at the wipe of the old ones. Turn the intended official pve ones into legacy first, give people time to move and so forth. 

There isn’t really pvp on the legacy ones and when there is, it might as well be on a dedicated. 

The person I quoted made very good points as Idk how many people think about the PVE legacy when they hear legacy. Most official pvp probably doesn’t even know there are legacy pve servers, but if they did, I think they’d agree pvp legacy should go first. 

Edit: I’ve only ever played official and dedi pvp, so this is just my two cents

As of right now there are 120+ official servers (mostly legacy) that have 0 players on currently, it should be an obvious choice to remove all of these and the ones with the dwindling numbers as there's little point of having a server dedicated to a couple players that don't want to leave that server. 

As  for the new servers, I feel like 10 man servers should be added, this is by far the most requested from what I have seen. 

10 man servers would also make land bases more viable, decrease or eliminate the offline timer that is on 6 man servers which again contributes to straying away from the cave meta that completely dominates small tribes at the moment. 

Yeah players from legacy should know they're on their last legs. For sure they should have known that when WC said they'd not wipe servers back when the legacy players where funding the creation of this game that they were liars. Big bold face liars who can hardly tell the truth to save their own careers. 

i'm watching this stream the other day and this guy says "ark still has as many players as it ever did" and i'm like "lie" you've closed a thousand servers in the last year.

when the said they titan would be un-nerfed on pve "lie" 

honestly anyone who's been around for more than 30 minutes should just see anything WC says and assume they'll do the opposite. 

Besides ...we all know the only reason genesis is happening is because your Atlas scam didn't work. Sold season tickets to god knows how many people then stole the rug right out from under them to use ark maps that should have been included in the season pass to make a whole new ..and very bad game. thank god there is still enough competency left in the world to have called you on that ...

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, SadieSaurus said:

Me and a friend just returned to the game and are playing on Legacy as that's where our existing characters are. So these servers are going to be closed eventually? Am I right in thinking we can't transfer off the Legacy servers with our dinos ourselves? And that Wildcard will not help or move us either?

im a pve legacy day one player and tbh, the games been out long enough to have had more than your monies worth and a total legacy wipe is our cue to leave game . they call the wipes migrations because at first at least it was assumed tribes would just up and move to new officials and start over which many did . allas now , tribes are dug in and entrenched in legacy with like you , old or even new players are joining. someone in global chat asked the other day . what is a legacy server ? lol . so now instead of moving to new , any wipes will just have tribes exit game altogether . wc still make money from legacy players hence why every one I see has a hlne pet. again . all I will say is although im legacy I agree with wipes but it should be extended to officials new too as they also have low to zero pop servers. ive suggested wc just list 4 of each map and have everyone a time limit to move thus all of legacy can be left the hell alone instead of wipes hanging over them . its the threat of wipes that is killing the game, people just want clarity. and what was confirmed with the 2nd season pass and wc investment in the game for 2 more years was by letting  legacy purchase said season pass gave us impression as they always have that if legacy servers are used and are populated then your safe . for now lol .

4 hours ago, brownievec said:

im a pve legacy day one player and tbh, the games been out long enough to have had more than your monies worth and a total legacy wipe is our cue to leave game . they call the wipes migrations because at first at least it was assumed tribes would just up and move to new officials and start over which many did . allas now , tribes are dug in and entrenched in legacy with like you , old or even new players are joining. someone in global chat asked the other day . what is a legacy server ? lol . so now instead of moving to new , any wipes will just have tribes exit game altogether . wc still make money from legacy players hence why every one I see has a hlne pet. again . all I will say is although im legacy I agree with wipes but it should be extended to officials new too as they also have low to zero pop servers. ive suggested wc just list 4 of each map and have everyone a time limit to move thus all of legacy can be left the hell alone instead of wipes hanging over them . its the threat of wipes that is killing the game, people just want clarity. and what was confirmed with the 2nd season pass and wc investment in the game for 2 more years was by letting  legacy purchase said season pass gave us impression as they always have that if legacy servers are used and are populated then your safe . for now lol .

Yes!!! Let's hope they stand by their words in community  crunch 135...I will never join official lol .getting development wiped for light pets or if ur base is too big because another player  is jealous  of what you have thousands of hours wiped without even a warning. Legacy lives matter...I've bought every dlc all season pass on 2 platforms and will continue  to aswell :)  

On 8/8/2019 at 1:25 PM, Ronson12 said:

Well @Cedric as you may already know ARK is well known for its lack of balance.the game is stacked in the attackers favour vs defence when it comes to time and resources etc.me and my buddys have played since legacy and been alpha on many servers so i am not making this suggestion because i get stomped,i am making it because its a correct fact.If you want people to enjoy this game i would suggest what conan exiles does,i tried the game didn't like it but what they seriously did get right was their RAID window concept.on that game you can PVP 24 hours BUT you cant't attack/wipe bases outside of the RAID window.so 4pm to 11pm the wars begin.outside of that window people get a break and get chance to rebuild/repair/farm/raise etc.

Ark as it stands right now its just stupidly unhealthy.having to be on 24 hours a day to stop someone deleting your progress while you sleep is just bad for business.imagine someone goes out,payed £50 for your game and never gets passed bob status because they don't have the time or inclination to 24 hour camp a pixelated dino pen?.with a raid window their chances of survival raise from 0% to some actual percentage lol.

Having a raid window of 8 hours is more than enough to wipe someone(if you don't wipe them,you will the next day due to setting them back)and anyone who wants 24 hour raids just wants to grieve or have an easy PVE offline raid instead of playing ARK the way it's ment to be(the trailer shows massive wars not a tribe soaking the other while they sleep).this would remove the majority of issues.Meshing would have to happen while your online,snipping tames wouldn't be a thing,the boring and unbalanced offlining meta would not exist.people would feel they have breathing room after a wipe or a wipe attempt to carry on.logging out won't help you because its not ORP based and if you don't log in then thats your own fault.that was in your control,whats out of your control is being on 24 horus a day to stop being PVE offlined.raid windows benefit EVERYONE,not just the few.Right now,during a war,the 1st to go to sleep loses,that is just straight up crazy unhealthy and not needed at all.

As it stands right now,ARK is catering to the few at the expense of the many.if anyone i know in RL asks me if they should play ARK i tell them not to bother because i won't be responsible for recommending someone pay £50 to get stomped in to the ground and not even be able to attempt  do anything of significance to the ones who own servers in such a one sided fight.

I know this isn't a popular suggestion but fact of the matter is,24 hour base destruction is just unhealthy for people,for ARK and for Wildcards profits..

Soo,i suggest a game mode with an actual RAID window where its 24 hour PVP but your base and anything within the base cannot be killed outside of said RAID window.if you leave the base on a tame for example then its a free for all and you and your tames can be killed.Once the purge begins 4pm-11pm for example,then nothing is safe and everything is up for grabs/killing/destroying.

THIS , is so well said.   The time it takes to farm/build is way to time consuming compared to how easy it is to raid.   Thats what me and the people i know stopped playing this game.

There are not that much new fresh gamemode suggested, but a lot of basic mode with just different settings.

I think that something like an instance game mode. Would satisfy those who wants pvp but don't want to farm/build because it's time consuming .

This gamemode could work a bit like SOTF.

- a lobby/waiting room, to create tribes

- when 2 tribes with the same number of players are ready, they are sent in an instance

- in an instance area (similar to bosses arena) a pre-existing base is given to a tribe and an outpost for the other. They are attackers and defenders (And why not a variant where both tribe are attackers ).

- each instance is different and works with a "Pack"... 

Each Pack have :

1. A set of dinos for each tribes

2. A base (attackers) and an outpost (defenders)(rafts or platform dino can replace base/outpost)

3. A set of stuff (players can't craft anything and have to use only what's given to them)

4.  An objectif (destroy a specific structure, capture their flag, kill a dino...)

The gamemode could use a season system, each month, packs are replaced by new ones (maybe 20 different pack per month).

What could be good is to let players create their own packs and submit them in hope to see them in the next month rotation.

With just some customization settings and player's creativity we could have a gamemode with endless possibilities.

We can easily imagine different packs : Rafts battle (no need to explain), medieval war (with stone castle, catapult, horses), dogfight (a desert titan base attacked with only griffins and tek tapejera), underwater, treeplatform etc...

For the pve sides, with some settings a kind of horde mode should be possible in a pack (defend a base sieged by wild dinos)

Parasaur wars, that we see in the trailer could finally be real

We can see this as a creative mode where players can create their own instances

Hard to say, but when we started in Ark, we didn't know about this issue that one day would be erased. But after more than 3000 hours of Ark playing on a server, today considered "legacy", it's really hard to drop friends we did on the server. Our conquest, our Dinos creations. At least if there was the option to migrate to the new ones I believe that no one would still be in legacy. I, for example, would have migrated if this option existed.

On 14/06/2019 at 16:51, Cedric said:

Pesar: Legado, novos servidores e novos modos

Recebemos feedback de que a comunidade está procurando novas aventuras. Isso pode vir na forma de novos servidores com a experiência original ou novos servidores com um toque diferente. Você foi ouvido!

Vamos discutir alguns números relativos. Considere a quantidade de servidores que temos agora como 100% dos servidores disponíveis para discussão. Para que novos servidores sejam estabelecidos, teremos que tirar desses 100% (o que existe hoje). Atualmente, procuramos servidores com baixa população ou servidores herdados quando queremos abrir novos tipos de servidores - como fizemos recentemente. 

Servidores legados não receberão suporte (detecção de malha, aplicação, mapas etc.). Haverá sentimentos contraditórios sobre isso, mas não espere que o legado esteja presente para sempre. Com isso em mente, que tipos de novos modos / servidores você gostaria de ver?

Jogadores legados, o que faz você ficar no legado? A comunidade que você construiu?

What makes a player choose server A, B or C? first option is ping, the second is population. You need to stop conflicting or want to compare new and old servers, not all players live in Germany or in a country where the quality of the Internet is taken seriously, as a nearby server helps a lot in gameplay. What needs to be noted is the merit. if the server has a low population, it should be deleted and if it has a good use of the population it should be maintained. Now clarified I will otherwise justify the facts. Being a serious company is it fair to exclude a server that among 109 islands is among the top 10  islands? just for being legacy? Welcome to 504! I think being a serious company would have nothing to question. The correct one today is a merge and end this useless comparison. https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark?features[0eff04dc-e9ce-11e8-8977-231f2f82f764]=true&features[2e0790dc-d6f7-11e7-8461-b3f086e6eb8c][or][0]=332a4834-d6f7-11e7-8461-27f523657d7e&features[2e079b9a-d6f7-11e7-8461-83e84cedb373]=true

Outside the new DLCs coming near Xmas I want no new modes or new servers, but I would like a full map TLC of all the old servers to entice new players maybe replacing the current drops with OSDs that do no destroy structures around them, and other similar features rebalancing the bosses and maybe adding another tek tier or non-tek structure tier, and closing all the logical tech gaps and shortcomings. Plenty of mods out there that can be used to fill in those gaps.

If you guys start closing down non legacy PVE servers as well you are going start losing people fast.

Heres my 2 cents, if you want people to eventually make the move to official...STOP GIVING THEM NEW CONTENT.

i mean, if you keep giving them new content it gives them no reason to make the move. Those 10 , 20 or 30 whatever servers could be better off used as officials when new maps are released. New maps are a nightmare to join when they start out for the first month or 2. It doesnt make any sense to keep legacy going this long after full release of the game. 

5 hours ago, Kai905 said:

Heres my 2 cents, if you want people to eventually make the move to official...STOP GIVING THEM NEW CONTENT.

i mean, if you keep giving them new content it gives them no reason to make the move. Those 10 , 20 or 30 whatever servers could be better off used as officials when new maps are released. New maps are a nightmare to join when they start out for the first month or 2. It doesnt make any sense to keep legacy going this long after full release of the game. 

Good point .but here's my 2 cents as well we the legacy community  doesn't get Givin anything. We spend $$ on that new content as well WC see's this''if you think joining  a new map\dlc is hard to join just think how hard it would  be to join if the thousands  of legacy players that sill play on legacy joined the official  network...makes plenty  of sense it's $$ and to top it off WC needs to stand behind their words... community  crunch 135 states that not all legacy will be wiped ... ppl seem to forget that here's your reminder ?

On 9/16/2019 at 11:03 AM, Lycan187u said:

Good point .but here's my 2 cents as well we the legacy community  doesn't get Givin anything. We spend $$ on that new content as well WC see's this''if you think joining  a new map\dlc is hard to join just think how hard it would  be to join if the thousands  of legacy players that sill play on legacy joined the official  network...makes plenty  of sense it's $$ and to top it off WC needs to stand behind their words... community  crunch 135 states that not all legacy will be wiped ... ppl seem to forget that here's your reminder ?

Im not saying to wipe all of the legacy servers. Just saying when new maps come out to only make them available on official servers. You’ll see more legacy people making the jump to official to play on a new map they like and it’ll leave more legacy servers empty to wipe. They’ll still get their $... and standing behind their word of not supporting legacy, you’re absolutely right. So they should stop supporting them by giving them new stuff.

15 hours ago, Kai905 said:

Im not saying to wipe all of the legacy servers. Just saying when new maps come out to only make them available on official servers. You’ll see more legacy people making the jump to official to play on a new map they like and it’ll leave more legacy servers empty to wipe. They’ll still get their $... and standing behind their word of not supporting legacy, you’re absolutely right. So they should stop supporting them by giving them new stuff.

Why would we want to make the move though that's the thing..what's the benefits. None ...why do I stay legacy??? I can name a few 1st being .developed wiped on legacy we have no worries of coming online to find out we have been developed wiped for having  too many light pets if I solely  want to breed those cute Lil sucker's I should be able too.2nd if the only place I can find to build my base the way I want to being a sandbox game"" is in a river or near someone's base I should be able too but not on official. 3rd if another player is jealous  of my base Dino they can report me under false claims I can be banned\wiped. The community  is toxic as hell on offical.not all but most . These are some of my reasons  for staying  in legacy..and my 9k+hours invested in my dino lines and my personal loot .my greatest memories  are from alpha\beta in the game why would I just leave them behind for this new offical...

1 hour ago, Lycan187u said:

Why would we want to make the move though that's the thing..what's the benefits. None ...why do I stay legacy??? I can name a few 1st being .developed wiped on legacy we have no worries of coming online to find out we have been developed wiped for having  too many light pets if I solely  want to breed those cute Lil sucker's I should be able too.2nd if the only place I can find to build my base the way I want to being a sandbox game"" is in a river or near someone's base I should be able too but not on official. 3rd if another player is jealous  of my base Dino they can report me under false claims I can be banned\wiped. The community  is toxic as hell on offical.not all but most . These are some of my reasons  for staying  in legacy..and my 9k+hours invested in my dino lines and my personal loot .my greatest memories  are from alpha\beta in the game why would I just leave them behind for this new offical...

if it was up to me i would stay on legacy server where i am. I have many dinos many mutations of years. sometime before the official release. and I have said. the legacy community remains the most united. the most organized. my opinion!

• Cedric locked this topic
  • Cedric unpinned this topic

Archived