breeding Dino Breeding - Worth It?

Crazcat

Hi!

So I will start this off with the obvious, I am very new to the game. I had Ark for a long time but only recently got to start playing because I finally have a PC that can handle it.

I play on an unofficial server with friends PVP but for the most part its just casual skirmishes no complete destruction.

I am currently the first one on the server to obtain high level Rexs (86 and 195 post tame with no levels) the next highest on the server is a level 14.

Both Rexs are COMPLETELY AVERAGE in every possible way aside from color - in this regard they are FABULOUS!

I just need to know if it is worth it to attempt to breed these two Rexs or if I should just wait until I find something with more points in better stats.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know - I apologize for anything I might be missing here - again - super new, don't know a lot about breeding. Anything helps!

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Crazcat said:

Hi!

So I will start this off with the obvious, I am very new to the game. I had Ark for a long time but only recently got to start playing because I finally have a PC that can handle it.

I play on an unofficial server with friends PVP but for the most part its just casual skirmishes no complete destruction.

I am currently the first one on the server to obtain high level Rexs (86 and 195 post tame with no levels) the next highest on the server is a level 14.

Both Rexs are COMPLETELY AVERAGE in every possible way aside from color - in this regard they are FABULOUS!

I just need to know if it is worth it to attempt to breed these two Rexs or if I should just wait until I find something with more points in better stats.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know - I apologize for anything I might be missing here - again - super new, don't know a lot about breeding. Anything helps!

Thank you! 

Great question!  I'd assume your server has standard levels up to level 150 correct?  So alot of folks would say don't breed them with good reasons, but I'd say it depends on what you want to use them for.  If you are thinking you'd just like some nice looking Rex's around to go around and maybe do meat and hide runs and you'd like the experience with breeding then why not?  If you are thinking you'd like to use them for Boss fights then no.  If it was me I'd consider finding an opposite gender for the 195 in order to try and keep the color but also start working on a stronger Rex for fighting bosses and ditch the 86 all together.

As a learning experience, I would start breeding but with the goal of eventually starting a new program with higher stat'd tames down the road. You will be miles ahead getting the highest level tames you can with great stats. 

The first stage of breeding is not that difficult. Look over their stats and see which has the strongest Health Point, Melee Damage, etc. The goal is to get the best stats available on a new mating pair. Then later use that mating pair to move into the next stage of breeding, which is looking for mutations. 

Hint: don't think about 'levels', think about the stats. 

If those are the only two you have, worth breeding. If you can get more, all the better!

but getting more will be needed to be able to get boss rexes. Stats matter more than levels do!

The level of the Rex is based on how many points go into the stats in total. Lets say you have a Rex with 40 points into melee, and it has 20 points in health. If you find a Rex with 40 points in health (post-tame) and you breed the two, there is a chance of the baby having 40 points in hp, and 40 points into Melee.

The most wilds a breeder would want is 6. Time and patience spent on breeding, and eventually get a Rex with 40+ points into each stat (tho Oxygen and food doesnt matter).

The baby will be born at a level that is based on the total points that it inherited from it's parents, that is how some babies can be born as a higher level than the parents.

And one short post  cant describe all the variables and details that go into raising dinos. I dont know what I would do without DodoDex's Stat Calculators.

7 hours ago, Kristofer said:

Yes. Even if not top stats, it is worth breeding as when you imprint they get bonus stats. At 100 they get 20% to stats and when the imprinted ride it they get an extra 30% rider bonus. Makin for 50% extra Hp (defence) and 50% extra attack when riding your personal dinosaur.

Partly incorrect. Rider bonus does not add 30% to stats of the dinos or hp. It adds damage and resistance.

21 hours ago, Kristofer said:

Yes. Even if not top stats, it is worth breeding as when you imprint they get bonus stats. At 100 they get 20% to stats and when the imprinted ride it they get an extra 30% rider bonus. Makin for 50% extra Hp (defence) and 50% extra attack when riding your personal dinosaur.

the imprint goes over the 20% so the actual increase is 56%

On 4/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, Crazcat said:

Breeding is totally worth it, but if you're doing it for PvP there are only two reasons to breed:

1) You want some spare animals that you can afford to lose in combat.

Considering that your competition only has a Lvl 14 rex, you could breed your 86 & 195 together just so you have a spare rex, then you could afford to lose one in fighting. Then again, it takes a fair amount of time to breed, hatch and raise a new rex, it would probably be more efficient to keep looking for more to tame. As things are right now you don't need to have the best rexes, just better than your competion.

Having said that, breeding is a time intensive activity, and to gain a good understanding of breeding you really need to have a solid understanding of taming, stats & what you hope to gain when you breed new animals.

With your current experience level, I suggest that you focus on continuing to learn the game and become proficient at taming (practice using Dododex, learning how to build good taming pens, etc.). If you tame any high level rexes (let's say 130-150 wild, before taming) put them aside in a safe place so that you'll have them when you're ready to really learn about breeding.

The basic rule for breeding is: "Tame for levels, breed for stats." If that doesn't make any sense to you then you're probably not ready to start breeding yet.

2) Because you feel like it.

Maybe you want to breed some rexes for colors, or maybe you want to breed some other species for color (or other reasons). Then you should, just as long as you keep in mind that breeding is almost always a less efficient use of time than taming. Generally speaking, breeding is thought of as an "end game" activity, when you're ready to explore caves for artifacts and do boss fights, or when you need extra strong animals to take control of a server.

To give you an idea of how much time breeding takes, here is a link to a breeding series by TimmyCarbine. Just sitting and watching the 6 videos takes over 1.5 hours total. If that sounds like a lot of time then you're not ready to do breeding yet.

Archived