Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

5 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

WCs stance has been pretty simple regarding this.

A wild dino attacking you or your things is just that, a wild dino attacking you or your things. Whether it was dropped at your doorstep by a player or not doesn't matter (says WC).

In PVE you need to prepare for a wild dino attacking you or your things.

I will defer to Sean Bean.

giga.PNG

Gigas eat stone.  And Rexs.  And tamed Gigas.  You don't just "build higher walls".  You watch in horror as everything you have built and raised and tamed is consumed, while the kiter/griefer laughs his butt off.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, flamron said:

When do they allow us to start picking up wild dinos then in PVE?  Just a mechanic right?

Hey, that's a good point. Sure I brought the animal over someone's base and dropped it but it's a completely valid PvE tactic since wild animals roam or whatever.

Okay. Here's the simplest explanation: PvE is singleplayer with other people. If any trouble a person runs into can't be found in singleplayer without human intervention then it's PvP. Only that solo player could cause a giga to run across the entire map straight for the player's base.

17 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

Hey, that's a good point. Sure I brought the animal over someone's base and dropped it but it's a completely valid PvE tactic since wild animals roam or whatever.

Okay. Here's the simplest explanation: PvE is singleplayer with other people. If any trouble a person runs into can't be found in singleplayer without human intervention then it's PvP. Only that solo player could cause a giga to run across the entire map straight for the player's base.

If griefing other players is so acceptable and OK and perfectly fine, then WildCard should remove ORP and give us back PvE flier-carrying!  OH wait...  Those things were taken out because of griefing. 

I understand, it is simple to alter mechanics like flier-carry or add something like ORP to curb trolls/griefers.  Hell, they even added some bit of code that wild dinos can not damage structures belonging to someone other than you if you kite them to it, unless they are aggro'd on that player.  I have tested this with a friend in a different tribe.  All it took was 2 side-by-side pillars and one irritated Carno.  When I took him to the pillars and he flew up on a flier out of range, it damaged only my pillar, and vice-versa.

The bolded part is a TAD reductive, but makes a great point.

Relating to kiting/griefing.

I'm mostly against it (it's not a black and white issue for me, it is many shades of gray and if you say 50 I will hunt you down. xD) and yet I am guilty of it once to chase off some racists (Tribe of N(you can fill out the rest)). Even though they were the scum of the earth I still felt crappy after doing it. However when you don't try and integrate yourself into the community and instead do things that go against the community, you know it's going to happen. Don't be a Stepford wife but by using racists terms (which was reported with screen shots and of course not looked into by WC before we go down that road) or purposefully doing stuff to fill the dino cap for either trolling or personal use, then can you really be upset that someone retaliated? Rarely does someone get kited/griefed if they didn't do some griefing themselves first. 

I know someone is going to stop reading after that last line and post their story. I get it. it happens. That is why I wrote rarely instead of never. Yes some people want to watch the world burn. For those people and knowing WC's stance, is kiting/griefing back an acceptable response?

Look at the picture I included/ All those rafts are owned by the same tribe. A tribe who is rarely on the server. We are not currently at dino cap but if we were, should we let that go despite it being done as an obviously selfish function? What would you do on your server? Just farm and build some more? Diplomatic solutions aren't possible if the tribe is not on nor do they respond when you try to talk to them in chat. 

PVE would be great if it wasn't for the people sometime. lol. 

While I don't envison myself ever kiting again I can't say i'm against it in certain situations. Be a human and it probably won't affect you. (I have a mouth/quick typing finger, never kited because overall I am a helpful community oriented player and I set up a fairly decent base defense with even my outside dino's). 

rafts.jpg

6 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Relating to kiting/griefing.

I'm mostly against it (it's not a black and white issue for me, it is many shades of gray and if you say 50 I will hunt you down. xD) and yet I am guilty of it once to chase off some racists (Tribe of N(you can fill out the rest)). Even though they were the scum of the earth I still felt crappy after doing it. However when you don't try and integrate yourself into the community and instead do things that go against the community, you know it's going to happen. Don't be a Stepford wife but by using racists terms (which was reported with screen shots and of course not looked into by WC before we go down that road) or purposefully doing stuff to fill the dino cap for either trolling or personal use, then can you really be upset that someone retaliated? Rarely does someone get kited/griefed if they didn't do some griefing themselves first. 

I know someone is going to stop reading after that last line and post their story. I get it. it happens. That is why I wrote rarely instead of never. Yes some people want to watch the world burn. For those people and knowing WC's stance, is kiting/griefing back an acceptable response?

Look at the picture I included/ All those rafts are owned by the same tribe. A tribe who is rarely on the server. We are not currently at dino cap but if we were, should we let that go despite it being done as an obviously selfish function? What would you do on your server? Just farm and build some more? Diplomatic solutions aren't possible if the tribe is not on nor do they respond when you try to talk to them in chat. 

PVE would be great if it wasn't for the people sometime. lol. 

While I don't envison myself ever kiting again I can't say i'm against it in certain situations. Be a human and it probably won't affect you. (I have a mouth/quick typing finger, never kited because overall I am a helpful community oriented player and I set up a fairly decent base defense with even my outside dino's). 

rafts.jpg

I feel bad as well when our server has to employ PvP tactics but like you we only use them against griefers. People who any self-respecting game studio would boot out the door.

While I've never personally done something like that I have supported it against griefers as Ranger1 pointed out. My server only goes after griefers though. Like the person who had all resource nodes foundationed on the volcano for months on end. We don't take these actions lightly either. Again, it took months of harassment, taunting, and the volcano problem for anyone to act outside of sending in tickets and also asking him to stop. That was also one of the incidents where I watched ramps on quetzals helpfully launch a wild giga over high walls.

Using any PvP tactics, like kiting, against a person who has done nothing but have dinos on a tame capped server? That is just plain wrong.

(I did read the entire post before responding. :) )

On 10/27/2017 at 1:43 PM, xracer98 said:

Invest in a private server. You can do what you want,when you want.
Game play can be set to your liking..
We too, got sick of laggy servers, capped servers etc.
Been running a private server and taming, raising like crazy..
With the group that we play with, its a very stress free environment.

But on the private servers you dont get the pvp that you would get on the official servers. I guess if you are all about pve then it would be the right choice but its just sad how the pvp servers are putting all these restrictions on the game where people have to actually go out and buy a private server for them and their friends to play. 

Been at cap limit for a while now.  I was 50% into quetz tame when server capped.  Took little over a month for it to hit cap.  Not sure what to do when you can't tame dinos.  I just feed my dinos and log off now. Since I wanna do end game and i will not be able to do that without taming more.  Sure I could go to unofficial. 
But the only way I see this playing out is every server will cap, then people have to merge into tribes to share their part of cap to form enough for bosses.  New people will have to join tribes with dinos
One thing they can do is eliminate the kibble system and rework taming so that you don't have large tribes with egg farms or, even worse, alt egg farm tribes.

I'm going to put a post together in a bit to solicit suggestions from the community about how they could rework the taming system to eliminate the need for egg farms.

26 minutes ago, RosloCain said:

One thing they can do is eliminate the kibble system and rework taming so that you don't have large tribes with egg farms or, even worse, alt egg farm tribes.

I'm going to put a post together in a bit to solicit suggestions from the community about how they could rework the taming system to eliminate the need for egg farms.

Bond with them. Hunt, fight, kill with the carnivores. Fight, harvest, graze with the herbivores.

But before that you knock them out and pet them, hand feed them, etc. in order to build up the trust bar enough for them to not kill you when they wake up.

I've always felt that we should be hunting alongside carnivores to tame them. Stuffing them full of food is an incredibly lazy system. Removing the need for kibble completely would do wonders for the problem of hitting the tame cap. But as usual it's not the one solution. We need multiple changes to the game to fix that problem. Removing claiming was one of those steps.

17 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

Bond with them. Hunt, fight, kill with the carnivores. Fight, harvest, graze with the herbivores.

But before that you knock them out and pet them, hand feed them, etc. in order to build up the trust bar enough for them to not kill you when they wake up.

I've always felt that we should be hunting alongside carnivores to tame them. Stuffing them full of food is an incredibly lazy system. Removing the need for kibble completely would do wonders for the problem of hitting the tame cap. But as usual it's not the one solution. We need multiple changes to the game to fix that problem. Removing claiming was one of those steps.

Oh my god that would be awesome...

On 12/13/2017 at 7:00 PM, TheDonn said:

Oh my god that would be awesome...

The Basilik is nearly what you are talking about you have to drop eggs (fert) in front of its path towards you (from a vid i saw) anywho.

I had an idea too :

Eh, i just had an idea for the kibble issue, that might actually work, you know how idk say elephants protect their young in the wild and they sleep in packs or how birds have nests, why instead of just the wyverns having a nest of eggs we can get a nest of eggs for every dino.  Obviously we would probably have to fight a pair or whatever for said eggs but at least this might actually work.

^PREVENT an sort of blocking building pillaring, manipulation gating of any kind to these locations before releasing this, if this is too complicated just increase wild egg production..we still have to find great stats or whatever so its not really un-'gating' an aspect of the game...

idk if anyone already said that dont got time to read entire thread, the more i can come up with the more i'll post, shouldn't even be helping tbh.

^maybe even combine the two^quoted post above this 1.

23 minutes ago, zeroBurnAcidCool said:

The Basilik is nearly what you are talking about you have to drop eggs (fert) in front of its path towards you (from a vid i saw) anywho.

The Titanoboa already tames in that way.  That isn't really similar to a cooperative hunting effort to increase the bond/tame, I feel...  Which is what I was exclaiming about.  Basilisk and Boas are basically non-KO kibble feedings, but are both still very very hostile.

On 12/14/2017 at 3:42 AM, Vrallox said:

I dont think players want more creatures with a taming method of Troodon.

I just came back from a 4 month break, since legacy servers are not on the new cluster and it's near impossible for me to go back to legacy anyway as i believe the whole tribe/alliance split up.  Well anyway, I decided to give rag a go since its a new fresh and about to be complete map, I thought I would start there -:

Server 1, great back in the game at last, built small base to store farming stuffs hit level 40 so I thought right time to go tame something since i was able to produce narco now.  As soon as i ko'd this ptera I see the message about too many dino this server or words to that effect (its been a long day).  So i start to run to obelisk and die a few times, not working out for me this server think i'll start a new.

Server 2, this time around I got to level 31 or something after building my small storage base, so this time i'm thinking, i'm not spending all that time farming for narcs if this server is capped also, lots of big bases so it might be.  Went to tame a lystro and couldn't, guess what, server cap!!!!!!!!

Server 3, very first thing in this server, i ask in global how far are we from server dino cap, no one answers 12 online.  SO went farm mejo and find a lystro, was able to tame it "YESSSSS" i thought, finally.  Up to lvl 58 now not long before I can ride me rex but guess what conversation came up in global earlier........... thats right, you got it, "the server is very near to dino limit"

I mean seriously, the pillar spam i can live with as there's usually somewhere u can build albeit thinking out the box and not what u want, but there usually is a spot nonetheless but this dino server limit cap is killing us new players, we have the tribe dino cap, can we just leave it at that, have unlimited cap for the server.

Or at the very least make tribe cap lower with an unlimited server cap to find the balance.

I mean what do we really need as a tribe, 2 of each dino for eggs, farming animals what 2 of each and backup, and then theres boss squads 2 squads per boss, i'm not sure the total number but i would guess its close to half current tribe cap

End result, lose all new potential players as they can't tame dino anywhere.

There is supposed to be a list of current dino capped server but the only ones I found haven't been updated in 4 months

Guest DJRone89
8 minutes ago, Meatmelt said:

....... and now please do something serious regarding taming cap!

Do you really expect them to reply or make a statement when you can’t even construct a topic properly?

8 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Such as?

Let me try to explain it to you if you are new to the game.

It happens that most, if not all, official PvE servers are capped, this means that you can't tame or breed anymore. Some people don't appreciate it and do think this is bad.

So if this issue will be take into account by WC many people will be happy.

8 minutes ago, Meatmelt said:

Let me try to explain it to you if you are new to the game.

It happens that most, if not all, official PvE servers are capped, this means that you can't tame or breed anymore. Some people don't appreciate it and do think this is bad.

So if this issue will be take into account by WC many people will be happy.

Oh sweet summer child, I'm not new to the game at all ;)
I am aware of the taming cap that almost all official servers are suffering from.

I'm asking you however what would be a viable solution to the problem.
Do you simply want them to remove the cap, allowing infinite dinosaurs to be tamed?
Do you want them to impose a cap per person/tribe/alliance?
Do you have a different idea perhaps?

6 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Oh sweet summer child, I'm not new to the game at all ;)
I am aware of the taming cap that almost all official servers are suffering from.

I'm asking you however what would be a viable solution to the problem.
Do you simply want them to remove the cap, allowing infinite dinosaurs to be tamed?
Do you want them to impose a cap per person/tribe/alliance?
Do you have a different idea perhaps?

Ok, let me explain another thing.

The story of the Client and the Customer. Well, I'll save you the story but the moral is the following:  "It is not a Customer problem if what he got for real money doesn't work as intended. Is the Client that should find a solution to make happy the Customer because the Client is already happy for the money he's got. Should not everyone be happy?"

Archived