Server Dino Cap Discussion

HeatherJo
Message added by Joebl0w13

This is the place to discuss the per server dino cap mechanic. It's platform independent, anybody can post here. Feel free to talk about your particular server but lists of capped servers will stay maintained in their proper platform subforums.

2 minutes ago, Graytalon said:

You know, I've been reading this and my head ache returned from the weekend 8x spree...it was horrible.  First off, I love the game.  I hate the lag, the cap, and cantaloupe.  I believe there isn't a simple solution because of server transfers.  I know of people who have tribe tames maxed out on 2 or more servers.  They are using other servers as a locker or storage for their dinos. 

Yes, I can feel the hate coming, but how about we go back to before dino transfers.  If you wanted to take a look at another server, fine transfer naked.  Or failing that, set an account limit of say 200 and not a tribe limit.  And yes, I know that people have 2, 5, 10, 20 accounts, but I don't have a better solution.  I did like the Dino Aging idea that Tolem suggested back on pg1.  Have a death date hard coded in to something like 2 to 3 months.  That would mean that no dodo could be around forever dropping eggs.  It would make us have to either tame, breed or die.

I've heard theories as to why everything is not working as it should.  I don't know.  I hope that they have a solution soon.  Before I find some other pass time.

Graytalon,

Lowly Gamer, since 1999, the Realm

Removing transfers?
Then how would you collect the dinosaurs?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Olivar said:

Removing transfers?
Then how would you collect the dinosaurs?

Why remove them.  Give people a dead line as to when it goes into effect and leave them to judge.  Here's what might happen; a player has dinos on 3 servers.  Moves them all to one server.  The other servers are "freed up".  Server he went to is capped.  As things will do, people will either become annoyed and leave or figure out a way to lower the dino population.  No, I don't know how.  Regardless, his dinos are fixed to a server.  If he wants to go tame a new wyvern....well, he can, but on a different server.  

The point was 1 person having 1500 dinos, yes possible, is ridiculous.  Keeping those others just to have them is sort of strange, but within the game.  But having to spend time over there limits the time on the other servers.  Once you can't send 20 Wyverns, I saw it, on to the Island just to say you did, things will balance out.  Ok, I hope they would, but I have thought a lot of stuff in this game should have balanced out already, so what do I know.

Graytalon,

Lowly Gamer, since 1999, the Realm

So a few  co-workers and myself powered up PC Version of ARK and looked to enjoy the weekend of gaming in ARK for some good fun.   Sadly, EVERY official server we tried across EVERY map Friday we logged in and knocked out a local dodo to sadly find server cap being an issue...including the new Ragnarok servers.  So we went on to a different game.....sorry ARK

Saturday....same thing

Sunday....same thing.

Over a dozen servers that had decent ping rates all had server caps to taming.

Has the game engine providers made it clear that this is how ARK will be ?   

Going into the holidays with Star Wars and Life Is Feudal launching this month....seems to be a very bad decision to let this issue of reducing game play and not allowing new player any form of game play on official servers (where other players may be).....running your own server is boring and uneventful...lame.

Should we all just delete the game and toss it into the pile of other games designers gave up trying to maintain and promote healthy gameplay and player growth?

I have been on the same Ragnarok Server since it came out. I have been through a 600+ hours of a lot of poor performance of game code, server issues you name it. Why? The fact remains ARK is a really fun game and the concept makes it attractive for a large range of different types of players. However the reoccurring issue I see is developers or support teams not connecting with their user base. Some of the short sited changes have made the game almost unplayable. When users reach out to support or try to chat with Devs they seem often to be ignored. The recent attempt to correct server performance by enabling a poorly thought out Server CAP on the number of dynos each Tribe can have has failed to correct the issue and has added a new set of issues  making the game almost unplayable for those interested in taming, breeding or even trying to establish or support an economy within server communities. I urge Wildcard to start listening to their end users and work on resolving the current issues including communicating better with their user base - before launching any additional content.    Ark you have come soo far don't blow it be ignoring those you are here to serve. BTW: as an experiment I logged on to multiple new servers to see if taming was possible and each server I went to was at CAP.

On 11/5/2017 at 2:32 AM, HalfSlabBacon said:

Really??? You're kidding me right???

I haven't played online shooters in many years; Yet even I know Overwatch, COD, Destiny, & Halo, to name a few, all have public servers Soo toxic they make Ark officials look like kindergarten.

Fact is, public servers attract griefers, trolls, and butt holes... Why??? Because they can't get invited to good private servers. In the rare occasion one of them does, they usually get banned in a matter of hours.

It's no different then social drinking... Invite a small group of people to your house, and it's usually a good time. Go to a large night club, it's a pretty safe bet you end up dealing with idiots.

I'm actually not. I've played every last one of those games - Planetside 2 included - and continue to play Overwatch. Not one of those games have had the consistent DDOS,  lag, and crashing that Ark has. Not even 'remotely' close to even use such an analogy. 

To 'any' degree whatsoever.

However, the toxic players are another thing. You're 100% correct on that aspect, but as you've said: They can be everywhere. Anywhere people are allowed to be their natural selves under the guise of anonymity, there are bound to be some people who's candid social interactions basically just amount to them being a loud fart in the room.

1 hour ago, Masurao said:

I'm actually not. I've played every last one of those games - Planetside 2 included - and continue to play Overwatch. Not one of those games have had the consistent DDOS,  lag, and crashing that Ark has. Not even 'remotely' close to even use such an analogy. 

To 'any' degree whatsoever.

However, the toxic players are another thing. You're 100% correct on that aspect, but as you've said: They can be everywhere. Anywhere people are allowed to be their natural selves under the guise of anonymity, there are bound to be some people who's candid social interactions basically just amount to them being a loud fart in the room.

Ok, well perhaps next time let me know you're changing the subject to performance when quoting me on toxic players. Lol.

This whole server cap thing is a major issue. Not just because you cannot play the game as it is intended to be played but day after day new people that would otherwise have joined and been loyal supporters of Ark are being turned away with a bad smell from not being able to even play the game.

Secondly, it's creating toxicity within the server community. Not just between tribes but with new players as well. We're all a friendly bunch and anytime a new player would join the server we would welcome them with open arms and help them learn the game. Now however we do everything we can to turn them away from playing. Not only to save them from the headache of not being able to play the game but also to prevent the dino cap becoming even more inflated from new players joining and taming between cap timers.

In Early Access this was perfectly acceptable, but for an official release game to have a cap on the amount of things you can tame. In a game solely focused around surviving via taming, breeding etc... Do the Ark devs actually care about the longevity of the game? Or are they not fussed with the first impressions a player has so long as that player has paid to have such first impressions?

Steam refunds are a thing btw...

7 minutes ago, guppy said:

well i did not read all the comments but dont you think more servers would be the answer for this.

Exactly right! This entire debate, the whole discussion and the simplest answer is that it has all been caused by overpopulation.

I understand that it might not be the best option financially for Wild Card to use to solve this game breaking issue. But the thing I don't understand is that Wild Card have such a loyal and dedicated fan base that would be way more than happy to subscribe to paid servers in order to support Wild Card and keep playing the game the way it was intended to be played. 

At present my friends I've met through this game are dropping like flies as one by one they becoming disenchanted with this massive game breaking feature. Some of them even killed off 3/4 of their own dinos so they could keep taming and breeding. But sure enough the cap always comes back and then they are disadvantaged because other players hoard all their dinos and wont make the same sacrifices. 

@Jatheish , @Jen  .. We really love your game and want nothing but the best for it. But can we *please* at least have a response as to whether you guys are looking into this issue yet?

yea your right this can be a game end for wild card if this is not answered

33 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Exactly right! This entire debate, the whole discussion and the simplest answer is that it has all been caused by overpopulation.

I understand that it might not be the best option financially for Wild Card to use to solve this game breaking issue. But the thing I don't understand is that Wild Card have such a loyal and dedicated fan base that would be way more than happy to subscribe to paid servers in order to support Wild Card and keep playing the game the way it was intended to be played. 

At present my friends I've met through this game are dropping like flies as one by one they becoming disenchanted with this massive game breaking feature. Some of them even killed off 3/4 of their own dinos so they could keep taming and breeding. But sure enough the cap always comes back and then they are disadvantaged because other players hoard all their dinos and wont make the same sacrifices. 

@Jatheish , @Jen  .. We really love your game and want nothing but the best for it. But can we *please* at least have a response as to whether you guys are looking into this issue yet?

you are right this can be a issue for the future of this game too

On 11/4/2017 at 1:26 PM, Teddansen said:

Try moving servers or politely asking your server to demolish rafts or kill half their dodos . 

Good luck with that.  We did some purging right when the server initially hit cap, but moving forward all those "excess dinos" we have we're keeping so that when we want to tame something we'll have something to kill to get under the cap.  This is pretty much standard procedure on my server now.

Taming has now become a zero sum game.  Anything someone else tames now directly impacts my ability to tame something at a later date.  The current tames we already have are now resources to use.  Server caps actually increase hording behavior as happens anytime resources become scarce.

I see two possible ways forward.

1.  More servers to ease the overcrowding that is causing the servers to cap in the first place.

2.  Less players (aka people quitting) to achieve the same effect of server density.

Option 1 requires wildcard to spend more money.  This is a good idea if that translates into more DLC buys (at least enough to offset the increased costs of additional servers)

Option 2 requires no additional investment, but will result in less DLC buys as players give up and move on to other games.

Also, I don't think adding a spoil timer for tames (age death) will fix the problem and might actually make it worse.

If I know my Rex is going to die in a few months, I'm going to have more of them around to compensate for the new attrition mechanic.  You run the risk of increasing hording behavior making the problem even worse (not to mention making an already grindy game more of a grind in the process)

With all the ranting and raving going on about tame capped servers, it makes things look like they are worse than it actually is in reality.

Does anyone know of a list of servers by the platform that has hit server tame cap?

By platform is important as the server numbers on one platform are used on others and are not necessarily the same maps.

I think once we can look at this list it will be much shorter than it seems.

My bet is it is mostly Rag map servers and a lower amount of Center map servers with little or none at the cap for Island and SE Maps.

If this is the case, then that would point to a problem for the supported mods and not the main game (Wildcard) side of things.

Any links to spreadsheets/databases etc. are greatly appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Palenor said:

With all the ranting and raving going on about tame capped servers, it makes things look like they are worse than it actually is in reality.

Does anyone know of a list of servers by the platform that has hit server tame cap?

By platform is important as the server numbers on one platform are used on others and are not necessarily the same maps.

My bet is it is mostly Rag map servers and a lower amount of Center map servers with little or none at the cap for Island and SE Maps.

If this is the case, then that would point to a problem for the supported mods and not the main game (Wildcard) side of things.

There is a thread already with servers that are capped and no, its not just Rag servers. Even if its ONE server out of 25 or 50, its one too many. Thats $60 someone spent to play a game and cant play whats advertised because its "capped". 

If you're sitting pretty on a server that isnt capped, doesnt have the issues others have, like a Scorched Earth server, then whats it matter to you, right? Doesnt affect you, so everyone else affected must just be blowing steam, right?

Unfortunately not only is it a bigger problem then you may think, its a problem that everyone whos been in beta and the devs, have known about for years. And yet it remains and now here we are with a good chunk of frustrated people.

7 minutes ago, Palenor said:

It's almost all Rag servers that are hitting cap.  That doesn't mean the server cap issue is a rag only issue because it won't stay on Rag.

Tribes are already setting up bases on other non rag servers to use as dino storage.  The longer this issue goes unaddressed, the bigger an impact it will have on non rag servers.  As more and more tames flow into uncapped servers the closer those servers come to cap. When they hit cap, players on that server set up storage bases on other servers, on and on and on until tame caps are an issue on most/all servers regardless of map.

Unless enough people get frustrated and quit, which becomes a whole other problem.

Archived