starting dinos to tame?

KnightRider89

Get the trike. You will get berries much easier and they are pretty tanky and hit for good damage. Raptors are good with multiople of them but by themselves they won't defend you real good. Parasaurs are decent pack animals and they are fast but they are useless otherwise. They attack very weak and i dont think they can harvest berries any better than you can. Dilos are good because they are numerous and very easy to knock out so you can get 10 or so and easily destroy pesky Carnos. I'm not sure what amount will help easily save you from Rexs.

I suggest getting a turtle too they have high health, some damae resistance and they hit surprisingly hard. I think they are the third mount you can unlock too.

In My opinion I would not get any dions until you have built some sort of basic pen to keep them safe from other people and other wild dinos. If you want to get going fast and don't mind waiting a bit for taming I would try to get an Argentavis because it has decent attack but is great for getting resources far away from you base. If you want a good ground mount I would get an Iguanodon as it can get berry's and has good all around stats if you get a decent level one.

Keep in Mind you may have to grind a bit to unlock the saddles but they should be easy to get if you are crafting narcotics and building a little starting base

I play on Official Pvp and those are the 2 dions I started off with.

13 minutes ago, DavidPlayz said:

In My opinion I would not get any dions until you have built some sort of basic pen to keep them safe from other people and other wild dinos. If you want to get going fast and don't mind waiting a bit for taming I would try to get an Argentavis because it has decent attack but is great for getting resources far away from you base. If you want a good ground mount I would get an Iguanodon as it can get berry's and has good all around stats if you get a decent level one.

Keep in Mind you may have to grind a bit to unlock the saddles but they should be easy to get if you are crafting narcotics and building a little starting base

I play on Official Pvp and those are the 2 dions I started off with.

thanks 

but i am talking about solo pve not pvp

10 minutes ago, PaleoJoe said:

Trike is tanky and can harvest berries. Then go for Raptor for speed and as a way to harvest meat.

thank you

24 minutes ago, ImmortalZeal said:

Dilos, dodos, a trike low level trike.  Male and female scorpions.

:dod-xmas:thanks

15 minutes ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Get the trike. You will get berries much easier and they are pretty tanky and hit for good damage. Raptors are good with multiople of them but by themselves they won't defend you real good. Parasaurs are decent pack animals and they are fast but they are useless otherwise. They attack very weak and i dont think they can harvest berries any better than you can. Dilos are good because they are numerous and very easy to knock out so you can get 10 or so and easily destroy pesky Carnos. I'm not sure what amount will help easily save you from Rexs.

I suggest getting a turtle too they have high health, some damae resistance and they hit surprisingly hard. I think they are the third mount you can unlock too.

thanks 

Dodo should be your first Tame, collect the eggs so you can tame a pteranadon and ichy to get you in the water. Tame dilos so you can tame doedicurus and ankylosaurus. Don't bother with a trike, they are slow and take up too much space. Iguanadon is the way to go for early game berry gatherer. They have unlimited Stam while running on all 4s too to boot!

Can I add Equus to the list? Requires level 10 to start passive taming, but once tamed they get decent speed and carry weight with low stamina drain when sprinting, Along with they'll gather small amounts of berries and seeds.. The Alt-fire buck does tarpor damage (nothing funnier then a horse mercilessly beating raptors, maybe  carnos into submission.). the Saddle's optional and once it has one it's a mobile mortar and pestle ( Really useful IMO ).

First thing you need to do is get yourself to the level where you can get a slingshot.  Don't waste time taming before then.  Once you have a slingshot, continue to level up until you find a level 5-20 trike.  Don't struggle looking, if you find one great.  Find a nice rock to stand on and knock it out.  Up to now you should have been collecting berries all the time and saving your narcoberries and mejoberries.  Use the mejos to tame (any red, yellow, blue berry will work too really) and the narco's to keep it unconscious.  If you don't have enough narcoberries, that's fine.  Trike's have a slow torpor time and usually have enough HP after a slingshot knockout to be slap tamed at least once, if not twice.  By slap tame, I mean you stand there and punch it until its torpor is full again.  Only useful for low level non-kibble tames.

Once you get the trike you're going to need the saddle, which is like level 20 or 25... that's why I said it's not really an early priority.  If you have it and don't have the saddle, keep it on follow and use it for weight.  Level mostly weight, some stamina.  Once saddled, you can use that trike to get you berries.  Get as many narco berries as you can and convert the spoiled meat you should have been saving into narcotics.  Make tranq arrows when you can.  From there you will need a base.  I'd recommend a nice stone raft as a starter base.  You can keep the trike on top if you want.  With the raft, you can move around the map to find a suitable base location.  You can also start taming dodo's and keep them in the raft.  You will also want to place a medium crop plot ASAP and start growing Rockarrots.  Use medium poop as fertilizer at first, just keep checking it to make sure it isn't low.

The dodo eggs + cooked meat + rockarrot will give you pteranadon kibble.  17 on 1x gets you a 150 ptera in like an hour.  Once you have the ptera, the whole map is open to you.

You can find alphas and perch on rocks to kill them for tons of XP.  You can fly around to find tames etc.

One mistake a lot of new players make is spending ages taming a level 20 rex or carno or something thinking it will help them.  No, any low level carnivore will get completely destroyed by wilds and they won't harvest meat any better than your pick.  You won't have any good meat gatherer until you can reliably hunt alphas for raw prime for prime taming a max level carno, bear, rex or allo.  Should also work on the kibbles for those guys.

TLDR - Get a trike and a ptera first, then you can get anything else after.

First dinos to tame are trike then dilos. Dont tame parasaurs they are useless. Then tame a rapter after that dodos. then use the eggs of the dilos(kibble) to get ankys and doed and the dodo eggs(kibble) to get a pteradon at last build a trap to get a therizino(low level) or tame a beaver (casteriodes) after this you got the basic utility dinos. after this you go expand you kibble tree taming stegos ,scorpions ,turtles and other kibble dinos to get em all.

If you're going to do a kibble rout in your taming (highly recommend) would tame up at least two female and one male of everything and taming steps following the kibble chart you can find on the ark wiki or dododex (my favorite). If you dont want to go the kibble rout then just tame whatever you see lol! Good luck and hope you enjoy your gameplay ^_^ 

Learn the Bola and make some as soon as possible. Great for helping to tame smaller dinos like the raptor, dilo, and parasaur. Also useful for killing creatures for some early game meat and hide. As many people have mentioned, an early game trike is a huge help. Almost every game I start, I find a nice big rock and climb up it with a slingshot and a bunch of stone and use this method to knockout my first trike. Easily done with friends but can also be done on singleplayer. Kibble will be useful in the later game but for your first tames it is not necessary what-so-ever.

Enjoy taming!

11 hours ago, CaptWhiteboyyy said:

Learn the Bola and make some as soon as possible. Great for helping to tame smaller dinos like the raptor, dilo, and parasaur. Also useful for killing creatures for some early game meat and hide. As many people have mentioned, an early game trike is a huge help. Almost every game I start, I find a nice big rock and climb up it with a slingshot and a bunch of stone and use this method to knockout my first trike. Easily done with friends but can also be done on singleplayer. Kibble will be useful in the later game but for your first tames it is not necessary what-so-ever.

Enjoy taming!

Bolas make your life SOOO much easier. When I restarted on the Island, I was able to get an iguanodon pretty early because you can bola them. They replaced my trike because they move so much faster and gather just as well in my opinion. Their attack is pretty vicious too, just lacking the knockback the trike has. I may have been a higher level than a really early beginner, I don't remember, but don't take bolas for granted.

21 hours ago, KnightRider89 said:

as i am just about to get the game i am wondering which would be good starting off animals/dinos

i heard

1:  A few dilos

2; A parasaur

3: A trike 

4: A raptor

is that good or do recommend any others

Get a few dodos for eggs to get a good ptera 

Tame an equus first,  easy tame,  gets mad berry's for taming other stuff it does the job of a trike and parasaur 

Raptors are weak and cant carry anything,  it will get encumbered and die,  tame a Wolf they don't need saddles much stronger and better mounts 

If on rag get a griffin as no saddle needed 

Id also recommend hyeanadons and calicotheriums as they don't need kibble,  pet the dog and feed the chalico beer,  easy to make loads of if you make like 6 beer barrels.

Also a beaver,  doed and anky should be next to gather some mats for your Base.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:35 PM, Brayn said:

First thing you need to do is get yourself to the level where you can get a slingshot.  Don't waste time taming before then.  Once you have a slingshot, continue to level up until you find a level 5-20 trike.  Don't struggle looking, if you find one great.  Find a nice rock to stand on and knock it out.  Up to now you should have been collecting berries all the time and saving your narcoberries and mejoberries.  Use the mejos to tame (any red, yellow, blue berry will work too really) and the narco's to keep it unconscious.  If you don't have enough narcoberries, that's fine.  Trike's have a slow torpor time and usually have enough HP after a slingshot knockout to be slap tamed at least once, if not twice.  By slap tame, I mean you stand there and punch it until its torpor is full again.  Only useful for low level non-kibble tames.

Once you get the trike you're going to need the saddle, which is like level 20 or 25... that's why I said it's not really an early priority.  If you have it and don't have the saddle, keep it on follow and use it for weight.  Level mostly weight, some stamina.  Once saddled, you can use that trike to get you berries.  Get as many narco berries as you can and convert the spoiled meat you should have been saving into narcotics.  Make tranq arrows when you can.  From there you will need a base.  I'd recommend a nice stone raft as a starter base.  You can keep the trike on top if you want.  With the raft, you can move around the map to find a suitable base location.  You can also start taming dodo's and keep them in the raft.  You will also want to place a medium crop plot ASAP and start growing Rockarrots.  Use medium poop as fertilizer at first, just keep checking it to make sure it isn't low.

The dodo eggs + cooked meat + rockarrot will give you pteranadon kibble.  17 on 1x gets you a 150 ptera in like an hour.  Once you have the ptera, the whole map is open to you.

You can find alphas and perch on rocks to kill them for tons of XP.  You can fly around to find tames etc.

One mistake a lot of new players make is spending ages taming a level 20 rex or carno or something thinking it will help them.  No, any low level carnivore will get completely destroyed by wilds and they won't harvest meat any better than your pick.  You won't have any good meat gatherer until you can reliably hunt alphas for raw prime for prime taming a max level carno, bear, rex or allo.  Should also work on the kibbles for those guys.

TLDR - Get a trike and a ptera first, then you can get anything else after.

what difficulty would this be on 

On 10/10/2017 at 3:29 PM, KnightRider89 said:

as i am just about to get the game i am wondering which would be good starting off animals/dinos

i heard

1:  A few dilos

2; A parasaur

3: A trike 

4: A raptor

is that good or do recommend any others

A Triceratops is really good for both resource gathering and defense. Utahraptors are good for hunting. Parasaurolophus, Dodos, and Dilophosaurus I'd recommend for the eggs. Of course, much of this is up to you, but I wouldn't try taming a Tyrannosaurus or a Brontosaurus as your first creatures. Ankylosaurus and Stegosaurus are good too, especially for resource gathering (Stego for organic, Anky for stone/metals/minerals).

Archived