Ark: Aberration - Master Thread

Snapshot

1 hour ago, Snapshot said:

So they just dropped that new trailer for Aberration?(Sorry if spelled wrong) Seems to be an underground world with all kinds of creatures designed to live there. I thought it looked pretty cool what are your guys thoughts?

My thoughts is that they got everyone hyped. All issues that were present before launch (during EA days) and after launch are still present but everyone is focused on the new DLC so devs get another free pass. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Pachycephalosaurus said:

ok here is what we know. 0:10 Angler with legs 0:17 GlowStick 0:20 Firefly?? 0:24 Zipline 0:28 mushroom platforms. 0:28 Ladders that fall. 0:31 invisible thing(Rock Drake???) 0:37 it flies. 0:40 goes from flying to acting like a thyla instantly. 0:42 climbing gear. 0:45 rad scorpion? 0:48 wingsuits 0:57 energy shotgun 1:00 sword 1:03 Rock Drake??(0:31) 1:14 Purple ob

Looks more like platforms on the side of a rock than on a mushroom ;)

1 minute ago, UnluckyRose24 said:

I love the expansion, it looks cool but.. I am having a hard time getting hyped when my dinosaurs are constantly dissapearing because they get stuck behind trees and such. Should they be spending resources on this when the game still needs polishing?

Are you referring to their development team or their bug fixing team? (They have two completely different departments if you didn't know)

2 minutes ago, agentexeider said:

that's not why the asset files were available in the island maps. It has nothing to do with the fact that it was an early access game. The assets are required to be in both maps for inter-operability, to allow you to be able to transfer dinos and resources between maps, they have to be there.

part of the mechanic of establishing yourself on multiple arks is for the exact purpose of grabbing a resource on one ark and moving to another, grabbing dinos on one ark and moving them to another. Those files have to present in every ark file to allow inter-operability. otherwise, the community gets divided. Because let's say player A has Aberration while Player B does not, they are on a server in a tribe together, Player A has a dino from that ark on the island. For player B to physically be able to see that dino/creature, and likely to even connect to the server, that requires that the server have those files, and that the client's version match the servers, so as a result those files will be in your install whether you have the DLC or not.

Now through normal gameplay means, those assets would be unavailable to you, but using admin commands to physically grant the items or spawn the creatures. That's how you could get the items/creatures without having to actually own the map.

Thanks for making this clear. I am a server admin, I know what you are talking about. They could make some kind of logic to make them not usable if you don't own the Expansion (Visible yes, but not ridable, not usable, not learnable, etc).

Anyway I should add that I'm not ok with this. I'd rather prefer the normal approach as they did with SE. 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

Just now, VIKAS said:

Thanks for making this clear. I am a server admin, I know what you are talking about. They could make some kind of logic to make them not usable if you don't own the Expansion (Visible yes, but not ridable, not usable, not learnable, etc).

Anyway I should add that I'm not ok with this. I'd rather prefer the normal approach as they did with SE. 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

Well technically they actually do have in game logic that does that, when you go into the SE engram list if you haven't been there there is a series of "Go to Scorched Earth to learn this." message plastered on all the engrams. but again you can bypass this by using admin commands to grant you the engrams.

Even the tekgram lock, where you cant use the tek tier related items without the associated tekgram can be bypassed by using the admin command to give you the tekgram, thus allowing you to use the object in question.

admin commands truly are the god particle in the ark universe, from them, anything and everything can and will happen.

Just now, agentexeider said:

Well technically they actually do have in game logic that does that, when you go into the SE engram list if you haven't been there there is a series of "Go to Scorched Earth to learn this." message plastered on all the engrams. but again you can bypass this by using admin commands to grant you the engrams.

Even the tekgram lock, where you cant use the tek tier related items without the associated tekgram can be bypassed by using the admin command to give you the tekgram, thus allowing you to use the object in question.

admin commands truly are the god particle in the ark universe, from them, anything and everything can and will happen.

You really seems to know something about IT. So you also know that you could restrict more things apart the engrams.

Is not only the tekgram lock, now you could even ascend to alfa with one command if you want. But I prefer to wait and see and don't give nasty ideas to them but trust me all could be "logic" implemented even admincommands related to "exclusive" assets.

Regards and hope you are right and Me wrong seriously.

14 minutes ago, Nayrok said:

Are you referring to their development team or their bug fixing team? (They have two completely different departments if you didn't know)

Oh! No I did not know that, I thought they only had one team?
Thank you for informing me, I am afraid I know very little about how this all works.
If there are still bugs and such, should they not move some of the workers from the development team to the bug fixing team, as they seem to be struggelig a bit? Just to make sure the core-game is perfect before they start announcing even more expansions?

Probably more fun than SE, but im still disapointed I was hoping for a ocean themed DLC as the forerunner. SO instead I went and bought DOOM on ps4, two days after it stopped being on sale. Im not horking up money for this till its on sale thats for sure, and i sure as HELL aint spending $59.99 on the ps4 season pass - no ammount of season pass exclusive skins or DLC op wall climbing too/stealth gliding wall climbing super megalanias are gonna change my mind. (May want to trade for anglerpugs though.)

9 minutes ago, UnluckyRose24 said:

Oh! No I did not know that, I thought they only had one team?
Thank you for informing me, I am afraid I know very little about how this all works.
If there are still bugs and such, should they not move some of the workers from the development team to the bug fixing team, as they seem to be struggelig a bit? Just to make sure the core-game is perfect before they start announcing even more expansions?

It's like asking the hostess of a restaurant to help in the kitchen because the cooks can't keep up with orders. That's not her job description and she's probably not even trained on that and may do more harm than good. Not every employee can swap seamlessly between departments. I'm sure WC has frontloaded their bug team already and is doing their best. Patience is a virtue that few gamers have. Luckily WC knows this already and is moving along as fast as they can without kissing off employees and making them quit 

9 minutes ago, Nayrok said:

It's like asking the hostess of a restaurant to help in the kitchen because the cooks can't keep up with orders. That's not her job description and she's probably not even trained on that and may do more harm than good. Not every employee can swap seamlessly between departments. I'm sure WC has frontloaded their bug team already and is doing their best. Patience is a virtue that few gamers have. Luckily WC knows this already and is moving along as fast as they can without kissing off employees and making them quit 

My apologies, I just find myself growing a tad sad when games are released even though there are still bugs in them, though I am pleased that the WC team moved the deadline for the game several times to offer us gamers the best experience., they have created a truly amazing game!
It´´s just.. One of those ichny-something stole almost all my stuff today, and even though it dropped them, they just kinda fell trough the ground and vanished - it´s not a massive problem or anything, but it would have been nice if things like  that were fixed before the release.

I figured that, seeing as someone on the expansion team must be taking care of the bugs *there*, they must have the experience and know-how to offer help to the core game-team as well, if not, that means that the bug-team working on the core game are taking care of the bugs for  both the original ARK and the expansion, and that does mean they have less time to focus on the core game.

51 minutes ago, Nayrok said:

I am a very patience gamer. I mean i have lost my head a few times in the past.
Though i do hope that you're right, i want the future to hold a good future for the client support and bug fixing departments.

As far as i understand the game development industry, essentially what i see in WC is that the development department teams, have been working hard to provide us unique and a wide diversity of content, and have been successful with their goals. [SE is amazing, Ragnarock - even though is part of the mod program - is amazing, Aberration looks promising for the time being].

Obviously not everyone is going to be pleased with the final product, no matter what, but that's just because we are different, and have our own perceptions about the world.
Some prefer the Ark to be primitive with extinct creatures, while others have always preferred playing with surreal entities (Mostly by using mods - Dragon Punk mod for example).

However how far will this go on, it just depends on WC entirely.
A few mistakes were acceptable in EA, and even post-launch is acceptable, but it depends on the context and interpretation in the end. If they keep constantly expanding, as well as, surpassing the boundaries, in the general point of view. They will start lose credibility from the client side, no matter how successful they are, or were this should be of their interest.

If i had my own company, team, family, community i would want them to believe in me and my work no matter how contradictory it might ended being.

On my end, I just question myself if the hostess job is fair and worth it for everyone involved. If she can't do her job due to a single, or multiple cookers being incompetent. Then her job is... not actually fulfilling, right?
She probably gets paid at the end of the month, under horrible working conditions. But no one wants that in their job, even, if they can tolerate it. This only has heavy consequences from that point on wards, the clients might be sad or frustrated due to the hostess not being able to either focus, or work properly. 
The clients will ended up wanting to express those extreme emotions, no matter what.
Sadly the hostess will be the easy target and will have to endure everything and anything from anyone and everyone. This example might not be correlated to your argument or the situation at hand.

Though i feel some odd similarities. WC in terms of organization must be horrible, and messed up. The end product is the issues, in the general point of view, present in Ark that are still present and haven't been addressed as well as the balancing aspect.

I love this game, as well as many other EA games that haven't been launched. But all share the same problem. 
I do have high hopes for WC accomplishment in releasing the game, and they need to put their act together after this recent mess. The new DLC is just a luxury in the mean time. 

2 hours ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Commentray

:08 This creature is called the Lantern Pug. Petting it makes light

:16 is the Glow stick Appears to be Lighting bugs as well

:22 The player is placing something in a pedestal, possibly this Charge Energy or to stablize the ark 

:25 Ziplines

:28 Looks like you can build on cliffs

:35 Rock Drake is the camouflage flier

:44 Cave Picks

:45 Cave Crustacean

:46 Raptor in it, either native or transfered in

:47 WIngsuit

:48 Shock gun and the ‘Nameless’: unrelenting, Element-infused humanoids which have evolved into vicious light-hating monstrosities! (Possibly)

1:10 radioactive light 

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

Looks more like platforms on the side of a rock than on a mushroom ;)

Here is the info I got from trailer and description

2 hours ago, DanishE said:

In my opinion they should delay Aberration i wee bit, seems to me Scorched just came out. With Aberration on the way i feel i won't be able to fully immerse in Scorched, unless i'm putting in multitudes of hours each week, which isn't exactly considering school chews up most of my time. Meh, but this is just me complaining, i'm still exited to see what the ARK Devs have in store for us!

I already "finished" scorched earth long ago, setting the goal for myself at taming a male and female of each new creature, and migrating them all back to island. You're in for a treat, i had alot of fun immersing myself into the scorched earth map.

Is anyone else as hyped about the new DLC WildCard announced? In the trailer I saw so much new stuff, from new creatures to new buildings (I saw what looked like stone platforms) and I can only assume that the ark you are in is the one you see that is broken in space after you beat the Overseer boss on the island and you ascend. Feel free to discuss and debate what you saw and maybe we can figure out what is going on. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Of course we will find out if its good when it releases but right now it did not make me excited at all like scorched earth did...

Getting a dragon to use on your center or island server sounded amazing. In this 1 though the creatures they showed did not really look useful at all off of that map..

I was really hoping for a frozen earth DLC

Archived