Mindwipe tonic can now only be applied once per level up.

Sphere

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so thinking about this change there are a lot of problems that it will cause. I understand that the reason you are doing it is because you don't want people to just mind wipe to craft something then mind wipe back.  But the thing is this change does not fix this problem at all. Everyone will simply just create another survivor on another server and pump pure crafting into it. Then use that survivor to craft everything.  If you somehow tie the crafted product to that character and make it so only the person who crafted the item gets the buff then for the most part people wont even care about the bonus crafting. 33% wont make up for a loss of HP, carry weight, ect....  So im sorry but your logic here is just flawed and wont hold up to real game play.

Next, what we loose by making this change is just massive.  If a person screws up and is max level they cannot fix it anymore which means having to level a new survivor. Don't you remember the outcry people had before the mindwipe was put in. This just puts us back in that state.  This also removes the versatility of a player.  If you spec a specific way you are stuck that way. I can only imagine how bland pvp will get for those people who enjoy min/maxing their characters for their roll in a battle/war. It also puts further stress on stats that most people view as pointless right now (food, water, oxy) Food and water will remain useless but I do know a few people who spec into oxy to get the swim speed increase for example in PvP.  I personally like to mind wipe when I plan on doing a harder cave or boss to go for more hp, stam, melee damage.  Then when I'm out in the world I tend to go more balance with a leaning to carry weight as the majority of day to day tasks require moving things around. Maybe this is not what you intended for the game but It does make the game far more enjoyable when i have the ability to tweak my survivor to fit the task at hand.

So i hope that by reading this you guys will really see what this change does. It doesn't address the problem you are trying to address and it hurts the rest of the game.

7 hours ago, GP said:

Deciding on your level up should require thinking and consideration, its about strategy. Doing mind wipe 10 times a day to make your tasks easier is another very good reason for this change.

Why wouldn't we want to make thing easier on ourselves? This is a great game but it's a huge time sink and it's all just pure grind. Grind out metal for bases, for those rediculous 30k+ ingot saddles, hide, wood stone and so on. It's a major grind and if it means that I can respec my player to pump 100 points into weight so it doesn't take me 2 hours to move those 30k ingots, then that should be my choice. And when I'm done, I should be able to go back and respec my character how I choose and for what the next roll/task is I need to complete.

Seems like these changes are for the "few" and not the "many"

Just my thoughts:

- Global Mindwipe cooldown of a week seems more interesting than "never again". Non-stackable of course.

- Players should be able to learn all basic engrams, even if as a requirement undergo several ascensions (could chose 1 per ascension? No need to tie it to levels or points then).

I use mindwipe to re-specialize my engrams, not my stats. I need an alternative as our tribe isn't that big. It dwindled to 2 (down from 7). I really wished basic engrams were eventually attainable, all of them. Even if this involved more ascensions as mentioned above. So what is my alternative now? I am master saddler, master armorer, master builder.. There aren't enough points (without modding) to do my weekly roles, and every time we get a few blueprints I respec to get stuff we don't have access to.

Cheers

if this is actually how this works its a terrible idea. this isnt an MMO where you have enchanters, crafters, damage classes blah blah blah. this is a survival game where people need to be able to do what they can to survive. the introduction to increased craft quality is an awesome idea but you follow it up with oh btw, you cant actually use this because if you do your character will be completely worthless after you craft stuff. so instead your going to flood the servers with tons of extra characters that people are gonna make to try to counter this because at this point i mind wipe when im building(majority weight), mind wipe when im caving(damage,hp and stam) mind wipe when im doing everyday things (fort, weight, move speed, stam). but now that im max level i have to just decide what i want to do permanently....lol. so once again existing players get the shaft, while new players get a chance to at least mind wipe as much as possible while lvling to get what they want.

Guys, the developers here think that no mindwipe was how the game was intended to be from the very start. They think that returning it back to that original idea, with a compromise, is how it should be. However what they don't realize is, their original thinking was flawed from day one. The discussions going on in this thread highlight this.

6 hours ago, BobRoss said:

Just because you think its stupid doesnt make it stupid. I think the change just requires us to be more thoughtfull of our stats and put some thought into it. I remember playing MMORPGs where you had to spend stat points at lvl 1 and it impacted the classes you would choose at lvl 60. 

LOL. are you still going with this idiotic defense of what's clearly a terrible game mechanic? Just because this kind of poor mechanic was in older games. doesn't defend it's addition to modern games, should SWC also revert all graphics to vanilla EQ standards because "that's how it used to be done!". You're the only person here that thinks this is an acceptable solution because it's somehow brings some pseudo strategy. I played on scorched earth for months before Ragnarok became DLC, and was already level 100, when it did we started a cluster and added Ragnarok, without being able to use a mindwipe tonic, I would have been excluded from around 30% of the game play due to not being able to venture into the ocean, because I never once put a single point into oxygen, a completely useless stat on SE. Don't come the raw prawn with your "thoughtful allocation of stats" rubbish.

Even if it had a one month cooldown, it would be a better idea than once a level, which, FYI means once per level, and doesn't mean it's rolls over, so you don't get 2 uses at level 2 if you didn't use your level 1 use.

3 minutes ago, Armitige said:

LOL. are you still going with this idiotic defense of what's clearly a terrible game mechanic? Just because this kind of poor mechanic was in older games. doesn't defend it's addition to modern games, should SWC also revert all graphics to vanilla EQ standards because "that's how it used to be done!". You're the only person here that thinks this is an acceptable solution because it's somehow brings some pseudo strategy. I played on scorched earth for months before Ragnarok became DLC, and was already level 100, when it did we started a cluster and added Ragnarok, without being able to use a mindwipe tonic, I would have been excluded from around 30% of the game play due to not being able to venture into the ocean, because I never once put a single point into oxygen, a completely useless stat on SE. Don't come the raw prawn with your "thoughtful allocation of stats" rubbish.

Even if it had a one month cooldown, it would be a better idea than once a level, which, FYI means once per level, and doesn't mean it's rolls over, so you get 2 uses at level 2 if you didn't use your level 1 use.

You can still use Lazarus chowder.. plus newt thingies give you oxygen.. I'm in favor of a cooldown as well, but this mechanic doesn't completely lock you down as you seem to think it does..

1 minute ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

You can still use Lazarus chowder.. plus newt thingies give you oxygen.. I'm in favor of a cooldown as well, but this mechanic doesn't completely lock you down as you seem to think it does..

Thanks for the advice, but lazurus chowder and diplocaulus are no substitute being able to raise my oxygen to three or four hundred with a mindwipe at the expense of, say, run speed and half my fortitude, lazurus chowder doesn't make you swim faster, and diplocaulus is more of a hindrance than a help. And, yeah, it does lock you down, to one reset per level. I just hope SWC have the intelligence to change this to a server setting.

3 minutes ago, Armitige said:

Thanks for the advice, but lazurus chowder and diplocaulus are no substitute being able to raise my oxygen to three or four hundred with a mindwipe at the expense of, say, run speed and half my fortitude, lazurus chowder doesn't make you swim faster, and diplocaulus is more of a hindrance than a help. And, yeah, it does lock you down, to one reset per level. I just hope SWC have the intelligence to change this to a server setting.

Would love to change that server setting on the Officials right now actually. What a stupid decision they made.

Simple put.... I shouldn't be screwed one day down the road when I want to make a chair, even though I can make plasma turrets and forcefield generators.... smh 

Make mindwipe a week cooldown and more expensive to cook one. I get that mindwiping to improve doing menial tasks is not the intention but totally taking away the ability to do it when you reach your player cap is a bit silly. We evolve our characters to become more intelligent, not be unable to make a campfire because we haven't made one in a long time, thats just basic stuff you never forget.

I think also it would be good to see some way of permanently learning basic engrams at endgame level, for things that are nearly a waste of points for someone whos up to tek tier, such as: campfires, chairs/tables, standing/wall torches, scissors, trophy mounts (all items that are purely decorative really), etc....

Really doubt people are going to use the new crafting skill system, especially now. At least not without buyingalt accounts but hey, WC gotta make their paper too i guess :P

24 minutes ago, Armitige said:

Even if it had a one month cooldown, it would be a better idea than once a level, which, FYI means once per level, and doesn't mean it's rolls over, so you don't get 2 uses at level 2 if you didn't use your level 1 use.

So you're telling me you are not able to tame any ocean creature or swimming land animal? What kind of arguement is this?

Archived