What's The Point of Playing ?

Crows

Hi. We're on a Official PvP server. PS4. 

We spend months breeding Rex's (we're a tribe of 3) to kill Broodmother.

We had about 15 Rex's all with 20k-25k+ health and damage ranging from 400% to 800%.

We killed Easy Broodmother with our main Rex's and other Rex's on follow, last week. Tonight, we spent quite a bit of time preparing to kill her again, and so as we load into the boss fight, one of our tribemember says he got a bluescreen (I witnessed it, bluescreen is an error that shuts the whole game down and Ark PS4 players have to deal with this every. single. day.) and his body obviously went unconscious, leaving him instantly dead as the Broodmother walked up to us across the bridge. 2 people remain with 15 Rex's, sure no problem we can just whistle attack and stack them inside her, well.. she wouldn't move from the bridge and so 6 Rex's fell off.

We chomped at her like crazy and the main Rex of the member who got the bluescreen error, his Rex (lvl 330+) was tanking her and she killed it within minutes. Then all the little spiders were killing the Rex's that fell off the bridge even though (I put them on Neutral) and so we were eventually left with 5 Rex's. We managed to get her stuck and killed her with a few minutes left and so I quickly loot the element from the Rex that got the killing blow, then we get teleported out (while I was sitting on the Rex) and it told me to choose a spawn location/bed. It wouldn't let me off the interface, so I chose my sleeping bag right next to us and it spawned me with nothing. My body wasn't even there, like I never existed and so we lost the element to top it all off. 

We then ask ourselves, why do we even play this game? I mean... it's fun, it's a great game, but why do we choose to participate in breeding (which takes days and lots of work imprinting, tedious.) to do boss fights for Tek to progress so that we're not behind all of the other tribes, especially on PvP which is important... I mean, what's the point? we could cheese the other bosses like Dragon, Mega, sure - but what's the point in sacrificing SO much time and sleep for this to happen within a matter of minutes? you might say "That's Ark, it's not for casuals. Tek shouldn't be easy to get." I understand that, but... we spend so long breeding, imprinting, losing sleep, sacrificing our real lives to PLAY this game to our fullest capacity to have strong enough Rex's to kill Broodmother, only for this to happen. 

Before you say "Recruit more members then." No, that's not the point - the game shouldn't be designed for just big tribes, there needs to be small group content and we have already killed her with 3, but due to bluescreen errors and then teleporting glitches that spawn you with no element for killing the boss, is absolutely ridiculous and we've lost motivation to continue on. We'll probably be going to other games soon because the thought of spending that much time to breed and imprint again for bosses, is insanity.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand your frustration, i too love this game, but the frustration at time can make your blood boil, to lose all that work shouldnt be allowed to happen, fair enough if it was player error, but from what ive read it wasnt, ive lost many hours/days of work through game error, and it sucks, i feel your pain

All i can say, is after today's update, this will be the last of stuff added, so hopefully they can start sorting through all these bugs

2 minutes ago, WolfeUK said:

I understand your frustration, i too love this game, but the frustration at time can make your blood boil, to lose all that work shouldnt be allowed to happen, fair enough if it was player error, but from what ive read it wasnt, ive lost many hours/days of work through game error, and it sucks, i feel your pain

All i can say, is after today's update, this will be the last of stuff added, so hopefully they can start sorting through all these bugs

Agreed... it's a shame, I hope so too. What can we do? nothing really... lots of problems indeed and I know there's many players who've had it much worse, but it really kills the motivation to play, more and more. I think it's a range of problems from breeding and imprinting, maintaining their food, making sure you imprint as much as you can then crafting all of the high armored saddles, collecting the trophy tributes and artifacts just for it to all end badly is like some sort of... virtual reality check. 

Imo that's why they shouldn't have released the game on consoles which obviously cannot handle it in it's current state.

We all should hope that WC actually does good job on their performance update phase so mediocre PCs and consoles can run the game smoothly without going to a bluescreen and fix all the bugs around bosses so you don't lose your stuff because of some arbitrary gimmicks happening.

Hate to say it, but Tek tier necessitates a decent number of tribemates. Easy Broodmother is barely accomplishable with 3 people and barely gives you any reward (10 Element lol). Every medium boss is pretty much out of your league. However, making Medium or Hard Bosses accessible to 3-player tribes would almost break the Tek Tier. As it stands it can be something of a hassle for medium sized tribes to get enough people all on and coordinated for medium/hard bosses, and for big tribes it's still something of an event needing coordination. If you could do the Hard bosses with only 3 people Tek tier would become far too easily obtainable. It is the end game. Ark can be played successfully with any number of people, but the style and type of play changes drastically depending on size. If Tek is your goal you're either going to need to do a little recruiting, or make some allies to come along with you. If you've got 15+ bred rexes you're probably more on the well off side of the server and I find it hard to believe you don't have some fairly close allies/friends made, or even that it would be difficult to do so.

Furthermore, if you struggle to find reason to play then why play? Ark is the type of game where the only reason to play is from creating your own goals and objectives. I'm all the way at the end-game with a decent amount of players. Tek is cool and all but there are only certain pieces/structures that I really care about. Otherwise for me Ark has always been about politics and social coordinating. If Tek Teir is your goal then you've got to take the necessary steps and one of those steps is finding the numbers in some way, shape or form. The real question is what will you do once you have reached full Tek Tier?

You should have run easy a few more times so you can plan contingencies for the medium fight.  We probably did easy about 10-20 times farming element and boy did we learn a lot.

Firstly, if you had of practiced beforehand you would know to get her off the bridge.  Whether you get her under the bridge or over near your spawn it's up to you.

Secondly, with enough practice you probably would have developed strategies for the little spiders, such as setting up groups and using different whistles or even just go around yourself cleaning them up.

Lots of stuff could go wrong in boss battles.  Always have a plan for when it does.  Make sure everyone knows what to do.  Several times we have almost had disasters because only the one tribe member got into the arena.  The contingency plans we put into place (we all created solo boss monster groups for controlling the rexes for just this possibility) got the tribe member the victory and brought all the rexes home.

Bosses are no joke.  They are end game content.  You can't just go into them yelling "Yolo!" and hoping for the best.  You risk faceplanting hard and losing dozens of hours of work.

Edit: we did all the medium bosses with two people, hard ape with 2, and hard bm and hard dragon grouping with some other tribes.

If they are making boss's fights that hard for 3 people what chance does 1 have ?

Id love to do the boss fights, but for a single player to get enough resources including dinos, im years away from that, and to lose it all cause of a glitch ?? no thanks, which is a bloody shame, id love to try out the tech gear, but im not gonna just spawn it in, and until i know the game runs better with no glitches of bugs then i will not bother with it

I do hope they balance the game for single players, we to do have as much right to enjoy the game as any other, and enjoy all the gear too

1 minute ago, WolfeUK said:

If they are making boss's fights that hard for 3 people what chance does 1 have ?

Id love to do the boss fights, but for a single player to get enough resources including dinos, im years away from that, and to lose it all cause of a glitch ?? no thanks, which is a bloody shame, id love to try out the tech gear, but im not gonna just spawn it in, and until i know the game runs better with no glitches of bugs then i will not bother with it

I do hope they balance the game for single players, we to do have as much right to enjoy the game as any other, and enjoy all the gear too

The game is balanced for single player, the bosses have nerfed health.

5 minutes ago, WolfeUK said:

Show me one person who has done the high level boss solo, and i mean solo from the start of the game, not just in the arena 

Ahh I thought you meant "Single player game mode"

Well I've single handedly done medium brood, hard ape, easy dragon, medium manticore.  Some things you just can't do single player or it's out of my skill level.

There's a Single Player mode for those that want to play single player and it's got nerfed bosses.

2 hours ago, DeningWei said:

You should have run easy a few more times so you can plan contingencies for the medium fight.  We probably did easy about 10-20 times farming element and boy did we learn a lot.

Firstly, if you had of practiced beforehand you would know to get her off the bridge.  Whether you get her under the bridge or over near your spawn it's up to you.

Secondly, with enough practice you probably would have developed strategies for the little spiders, such as setting up groups and using different whistles or even just go around yourself cleaning them up.

Lots of stuff could go wrong in boss battles.  Always have a plan for when it does.  Make sure everyone knows what to do.  Several times we have almost had disasters because only the one tribe member got into the arena.  The contingency plans we put into place (we all created solo boss monster groups for controlling the rexes for just this possibility) got the tribe member the victory and brought all the rexes home.

Bosses are no joke.  They are end game content.  You can't just go into them yelling "Yolo!" and hoping for the best.  You risk faceplanting hard and losing dozens of hours of work.

Edit: we did all the medium bosses with two people, hard ape with 2, and hard bm and hard dragon grouping with some other tribes.

easy answer you give without thinking, how can you do more runs and get experience when you get errors. NOW they have this exp. and if they are trying again they will be better prepaird. you can not be prepaird if.you never had this kind of experience.

and i can understand there point with breeding and some error ruins there breeding time and fun. everyone has had that point where you almost rage quit because stupid errors in the game.  

i play ps4 to never had the bluescreen. is it a ps4 pro thing?

@Crows  I'm in the same shoes as you with similar feeling. However 6 months ago I1ve decided to go on an unofficial server cluster with proper admin (eg when the server crashed during bossing, he helped to restore our lost rexes, for example), where we have increased rates (4x gather, 4x Xp, 8x breed/tame) because I also tought the timesinks in the game (especially the breeding with the current 3hourly imprinting) is just not for me. 

I'm constantly invited to official servers by my friends, but I always refuse to do it, because I see no benefit at all to go there (zero admin support, horrible lag, unbearable timsink on breeding, transfer raids, mega tribes)

It still gives me the feeling of achievement (12 hours a wyvern, 36 hours a tuso), without the tedioum of the vanilla rates. 

Props to Wildcard they allowed us to tailor the game to our liking and I encourage you to consider to leave the official world... know its hard, especially  hard to find a properly administered unofficial server, but otherwise there is simply no benefit to stick to officials imo. 

3 hours ago, Crows said:

so I quickly loot the element from the Rex that got the killing blow, then we get teleported out (while I was sitting on the Rex)

you described and made 2 well known errors in this one part of the sentence: looted the element and was mounted during teleportation. Workarounds are long known as well: stay on the ground at the end of fight and loot is safer in the dinos. Why blame the game when you refuse to adapt?

Yes, it is bug and should be fixed, there is no arguing this, but if its possible to avoid it - why did you chose not to?

2 hours ago, DeningWei said:

The game is balanced for single player, the bosses have nerfed health.

This statement is technically incorrect.

Bosses have same amount of health in singleplayer, but they receive 3x damage from all sources, making their effective HP less. They dish out 3x less damage as well making bosses 9 times easier to kill overall.

Broodmother needs to scale for PLAYERS in order to give everyone a chance. Such a simple solution, its a trend with WC to design pretty dinos and aesthetics  but fail miserably at coding / fun  / balance. Suvh a shame they cant get it through their heads the concept of keeping what people ENJOY instead of turning everything into a grind timesink in order to artificially extend the average playtime. 

6 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Imo that's why they shouldn't have released the game on consoles which obviously cannot handle it in it's current state.

We all should hope that WC actually does good job on their performance update phase so mediocre PCs and consoles can run the game smoothly without going to a bluescreen and fix all the bugs around bosses so you don't lose your stuff because of some arbitrary gimmicks happening.

It's not like it doesn't crash on elite PCs either lol. 

the whole game is more stress than its worth most of my mates have given up on it i still play a little on ps4 but like you said why bother, official servers have always been way over the top with the time requirements they never listen to us  the game is tailored to the unemployed so raptor it were moving on. hopefully one day its worth coming back , ark was a game like no other but they consistently  fail to grasp the concept of balance and time. 

7 hours ago, WolfeUK said:

Is this true? Have they added all? Which means are they gonna finally work on the game optimizations?

7 hours ago, Awakatanka said:

easy answer you give without thinking, how can you do more runs and get experience when you get errors. NOW they have this exp. and if they are trying again they will be better prepaird. you can not be prepaird if.you never had this kind of experience.

and i can understand there point with breeding and some error ruins there breeding time and fun. everyone has had that point where you almost rage quit because stupid errors in the game.  

i play ps4 to never had the bluescreen. is it a ps4 pro thing?

There's some little bugs but a bit of research (shouldn't be off the ground or in inventory when you teleport out) would have helped a long way.  Then you can practice on much more forgiving Easy Broodmother where if a couple of things go wrong you have some leeway. 

11 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

You cant honestly tell me none of these crash errors or .. boss glitches.. dont happen on pc aswell. 

Yeah, the game would be a load better after optimized for our weak consoles, but this is more of a core game problem than just console limitations

As far as boss glitches, some major work needs to be done about the phase in and out method currently

Archived