Sound Pass

BigDally

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex and giga at least need to be a bit louder.

Also I know it's off the topic of sound, but any chance we can see our flyers get a little speed boost through imprinting? It would make the flying a bit more varied while not making them too fast. Right now any flyer fight with two opponents on the same type can so easily run away from the other, but if YOU have a burd with 100% imprint giving it 120 speed over their 100 then you'll be a little bit faster giving you an advantage.

Id say the bronto, when it swings its tail it sounds like a dillo chirping in the background. The footsteps when it walks don't match when it actually steps on the ground and its other noises seems too high pitched for the sounds it makes.

Also, I miss the sounds in certain spots of the swamp, it was relaxing listening to the frogs before now its just too quiet in specific spots. At 55.5 77.7, if you mark that location as the middle on the west side you have frogs, on the east side you just have crickets and the occasional wolves or something?

The stego sounds like a horse from real life with its footsteps and the tail swing doesn't have much of a sound and seems to end with a growl at the end.

The bears roar doesn't last long enough, that current roar it has cant scare anyone either.

And a random sound suggestion, ark has some music tracks right? It would be nice if we could have a jukebox style player in arks options to manually play and loop them someday, id probably listen to the Halloween tracks while playing. :P

On 5/31/2017 at 5:40 PM, Airthrow said:

Ah, an excellent point on the night ambience. I live in stonehenge and when I heard the wolves/dogs howling at night I was genuinely scared like "oh lord they've found me!" 

It's the little things that make this game so great. 

And keep us in the loop if you find anything for the water animals, usually there's not much to hear (for me at least) as the battle music dominates the sound, but most of the big animals share the same sounds, or close, if memory serves. The dunk sounds a lot like the shark (both fine) but the mosa and plesio both have this uncharacteristically comical death wail. I just got used to it until you started this thread. 

Glad to see they're listening, and that we can have a positive, supportive thread :)

Heh thanks. though now sadly this thread will probably die cause the devs made their own sound pass thread. xD Oh well, as long as they hear us!

EDIT: Wait what happened? How did this end up with the other thread?! O.o Interesting...

1. The Giga roar is to robo-rapor?  I think the Rex roar with more base/volume would fit better.

2. Human female's sound way to mannish.

3. Can we have a way to add custom music for certain situations?  While i like some of the music.. I think some music would fit way better.. for example air battles (wyvern vs wyvern) could use the classic Ride of the Valkyries.  Just add drop folds to put mp3s in.  Folders like battle, building, near babies, breeding, rain music?, thunderstorm, etc. So when when for example it starts to rain it could play some background music. Or when you get close to babies it plays classic slow paced music.  Basicly allow the game to randomly choose between .mp3s that are in the drop folder during events. 

4. Maybe add specific music when entering battle with different critters... Like have on song play when a rex enter battle, then a giga shows up and a more epic "heavier" song starts to play.  To emphasize the servility of the fight.

I think the raptor should do a bit more of the slower (not lower) frequency but sharp snarling sounds as it makes it really sound dangerous. Not as sophisticated as a wolf's snarl but rougher if that makes any sense.

The Rex roar should be louder but also quicker. Like with other large predators like lions/tigers/bears for example they already induce fear when they are in front of you and you should expect the roar but it still makes one jump when they roar because it's just louder and quicker than you expect. That's the kind of roar the Rex should have, it should make you jump, so it's not just about how 'cool' it sounds but also whether it has the desired effect of making one crap their pants :-)

Hope this is helpful

There are my thoughts about new sound effects. Some are from my older thread, some are new.

General walking sound effects (apply to every dinosaur):

• Dinosaurs must have different walking sound effects depending on what surface they walk on. Otherwise it's very immersion breaking, like you hear "walking on dirt sound effect" on metal floor. I'm sure UE4 supports that owing the fact UE3 does that.
  • Stop making heavy mechanical AT-ST/AT-AT walker sounds as walking sound effects of dinosaurs. When animal walk on a dirt you have to hear raspy sound that it's being made by leaves and dirt being lifted by foot and then squished sand sound when foot is placed back on the ground.
  • Adjust walking sound effects to the animations inculding attacking ones. For example when Anky swings its tail you have to hear every step according to its animation, not only 2 steps.

Running:

• When an animal run it has to have heavy and rapid breathing sound. I know that allo and raptors do not have such effect.

Animation and sound effects:

• Please, keep in mind the sound animal makes ought to fit to animations. So for example, no deep and long growls, when dinosaur doesn't move its jaws at all in idle animation. Usually in idle animation dinosaur moves very slightly, so adjust the volume and the sound effect to that. In idle animal is relaxed, so it shouldn't make a lot loud sounds.
  • Sound effects the animal have must be consistent. So every sound blends nicely and you can tell that X call, Y purr and Z growl belongs to that animal.

3D sound detection and emitting:

• When you ride the animal in TPP and turn left/right while you're looking in that direction you can hear in your headset that the source of footsteps are on the left/right, even though your animal is still in the center of the screen. It's a bit confusing for my eyes and ears.

Human:

• Male grunting sounds while harvesting wood or rocks need improvment. It's hard for me to imagine that human would have made such sounds in real life.
  • I don't hear any difference between old and new walking sounds.
  • to be added.

Dodo:

• to be added.

Raptor (Must be redone entirely):

• They sounds like they want to spit something out of their throats or they smoke way too many cigarrets. They are not terryfing nor immersive as every should be since Jurassic Park. Primal Carnage Exctinction's sound designer did way better job than you did with your raptor. Must be remade completely. 
  • Walking sounds effects sounds like piston work or walking mech robot. Must be remade completely.       
  • Idle sound effects sounds like radio static. Must be remade completely.        
  • Leveling up sounds are off too.
  • Jumping sounds. Raptor wants to spit phlegm that runs down its throat. Must be remade completely.      
  • Overall you have to remake all raptors sounds. I'm not impressed by new ones at all. The old screech sounded way better than what you did for new bite sounds for example. I though you would be adding missing sounds to raptors and slightly adjust them, not making them worse than used to be. So delete all of their current sounds and redo them from scratch. As it is now I cannot stand using that animal in the game due to its awful sound effects.
  • There is an example of well-made Utahraptor sounds: 

Quetzal:                                                                                                      

• Walking sounds must be redone. They sounds like there is giant mech robot walking on the ground. Must be remade completely.
  • Flapping wings sounds are alright.
  • It makes too much noises in the idle animation.
  • A lot of sounds it makes don't make sense, they sound to differently compering to each other to make you think that's the same animal. Sounds are not consistent.
  • Remove JP Velociraptor purring sounds from the idle animation.
  • Remove old Quetzal distress call from new idle sound effects.

Argentavis:

• In general job well done.      
  • Reduced how noisy it is in the air and how often it makes sound. Adjust volume too.

Dilo:

• Sounds alright.
  • However, it seems it doesn't make any idle sounds in the wild or tamed. Needs some idle sounds from time to time.

Rex:

• Remove echo in walking sounds. They may sounds slightly too heavy.
  • Remove "crunching bone" sound in the bite effect. It would have fit better if that crunching was only heared if you had bitten another animal. Trex don't break bones when it bites normally. Maybe something more unniversal as bite sound?

Ptera:

• Redo flapping wings sounds. Currently, they sound like wet working plunger or when you flap wet clothes before you hang them out.

Compy:

• Well done, they sound adorable :)

Parasaur

• Again, heavy mechanical walking sounds. Must be redone entirely.

Pachy

• Sounds are too quiet for to check their sounds fully.
  • They don't make any other noise than walking sounds in the wild. It should make some in my opinion.
  • Mechanical walking sounds again, please redo walking sounds.

Bronto:

• Walking sounds quite mechanical and it doesn't remind you of the animal walking on the dirt. It sounds like working piston. Or something hitting a wooden table or crate. You made here AT-AT with dinosaur skin. Walking sound effects have to be redone.
  • The effect of the tail traveling in the air when you swipe is good. However the grunt sound of the animals is a bit too quiet.
  • Idle sounds are a bit too quiet.
  • I prefered the old whale-like sounds much more.

Giga:

• When you ride it in FPP and walk through the water you hear none splashing water sounds effects. In TPP it uses generic splashing water sounds that ought to be changed as well.
  • Walking sounds on the ground sounds heavy as they should, but still it doesn't fit to the surface the dinosaur is walking on. Might be to mechanical as well.
  • I'm pleased with the roar. I think it would be better if roar animation lasted longer with longer sound effect accordingly. Maybe it should be a bit louder. 
  • Good walking sounds.
  • Bite might be too quiet. 

Carno:

• Some sounds would have suited a raptor better than a carno, but still would need some work on them. For example the head swipe would have been good "hurt" raptor sound. The bite a good "bite" raptor sound. In general sounds it makes do not suit the animal that big.
  • It needs new and unique walking sounds. 
  • Sounds are not consistent.

Baryonyx:

• Walking sounds are too quiet and it sounds like walking on the wooden floor. Needs to be redone.
  • Bite sound is too quiet.

Semi automatic shotgun:

• Reloading sound effects are different depending on if you reload the gun after firing in iron sights mode or not. Sounds are not the same. 

Basically the biggest sound issue is what Lewiatan said. I understand that UE4 won't do different stepping sounds for different surfaces for different animals, but I'd much rather have the old goofy "oomph" sounding footsteps than what we have now. The old footstep sounds were much more immersive and convincing than the new ones and was fitting for most surfaces. New footsteps sounds are like an AT-ST or a Transformer. Very immersion breaking to hear metal clanking from a large dino on the beach, would be better off with a dirt crushing sound underfoot like the old sounds

I was never a fan of the quetz'st's original calls, personally, I much prefer the loon-like shrill that it had prior to it's current sound set.

Raptor sounds far, far too deep, but you already know this, so I'll leave it at that.

Anky's do need an overhaul. They sound like Snorlax, and they're vastly louder than any other dino in our barn.

T-Rex's o.g roar is iconic and I love it, but it needs to be a bit louder. As for it's normal sounds, i'm indifferent, I guess.

Ptera's need work, as they sound like someone's constantly strangling them.

Compie's need something more chirpy and less hissing.

I took a moment to appreciate the ambient noises at night on Craggs island, and I must say the background soundscape it far more immersive than it used to be.  The occasional call or cry in the distance, insect like noises here and there, all of it sets a great atmosphere.  Obviously there are limitations, but the more variable that soundscape can be made (depending on location and creatures in the area) the better.

I would suggest to some well intentioned folks in this thread to be very careful what you ask for.  Some requests here sound great on paper, but in reality would drive you insane over time.

Not every creature (even large carnivores) needs a loud, full throated roar.  If you really want to scare someone a sudden loud roar nearby can do that sure, but you can also generate a strong fear response if some of your more deadly creatures tend to stay quiet.  Think of how chilling the background "tik tik tik" noise was that the Predator made when prey caught it's attention (granted, it also had a hefty roar... but it rarely used it).  Some small (vicious) creatures use sharp, high pitched snarls to their advantage in nature... others rarely make any noise other than a low pitched growl deep in their throat.  And of course herbivores run the gamut as well, using everything from soft moo's or the occasional snort (the Equus is great by the way) to trumpet like blasts of alarm or warning.

I'm just saying, louder isn't always better (and sometimes can be down right annoying after a while)... and a roar isn't always the best way to go.

Keep up the excellent work on the ambient noises as well WC, those do far more to generate immersion and atmosphere than most folks realize.

5 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

A lot of sounds it makes don't make sense, they sound to differently compering to each other to make you think that's the same animal. Sounds are not consistent.

I won't touch on the rest of your critic above, but I have to point out that this particular point concerning the Quetzal doesn't make a lot of sense.  In nature many animals emit a wide variety of sounds routinely.  Consider the difference between a wolfs growl, bark, whine and howl... drastically different noises from the same creature.  There is no reason at all why a Quetz can't be melodic at times, and at others emit a harsh reptilian hiss (after all, it is a reptile).

Additionally I don't find anything wrong with the occasional inclusion of a loud honk or call erupting out of it when idle.  This is fairly consistent with many large avians (geese, flamingos, cranes), just as long as it is intermittent enough that it doesn't become annoying and isn't too overly loud.

As a side note, I rather liked the loud beak chomping sound during certain animations... I hope that component hasn't gone away.

The Quetz in particular has got to be a tricky one to get the sound correct for.  It's calls need to reflect that it is a beautiful and majestic force of nature in the air... and at the same time convey (ideally) some sense of just how formidable a predator it probably was to smaller creatures like us.  Theories are undecided as to whether if was a fish skimmer/spearer, or if it like to hunt while walking around (towering over most everything else in the landscape) tossing back man sized and smaller creatures like they were grasshoppers.  Since it is so commonly used, and due to it's nature, I can see it having a complicated and varied sound bank.

2 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

I won't touch on the rest of your critic above, but I have to point out that this particular point concerning the Quetzal doesn't make a lot of sense.  In nature many animals emit a wide variety of sounds routinely.  Consider the difference between a wolfs growl, bark, whine and howl... drastically different noises from the same creature.  There is no reason at all why a Quetz can't be melodic at times, and at others emit a harsh reptilian hiss (after all, it is a reptile).

Additionally I don't find anything wrong with the occasional inclusion of a loud honk or call erupting out of it when idle.  This is fairly consistent with many large avians (geese, flamingos, cranes), just as long as it is intermittent enough that it doesn't become annoying and isn't too overly loud.

As a side note, I rather liked the loud beak chomping sound during certain animations... I hope that component hasn't gone away.

The Quetz in particular has got to be a tricky one to get the sound correct for.  It's calls need to reflect that it is a beautiful and majestic force of nature in the air... and at the same time convey (ideally) some sense of just how formidable a predator it probably was to smaller creatures like us.  Theories are undecided as to whether if was a fish skimmer/spearer, or if it like to hunt while walking around (towering over most everything else in the landscape) tossing back man sized and smaller creatures like they were grasshoppers.  Since it is so commonly used, and due to it's nature, I can see it having a complicated and varied sound bank.

By consistency of sounds I meant, that you wouldn't have some random sound out of blue, which does not fit to the rest in the slightest and breaks your suspension of disbelief by that. For example, why does Quetzal have so unique and recognisable JP's Veloctiraptor purring sound in idle animation? It is that similar to say the least. That kind of inconsitency I meant. The old honking and the newest sounds made very odd mix that it's hard to listen to. For example we have screech/hiss and at the end of it old honking copied and pasted at the end. I'm aware fully animals make different sounds and I don't mind them if they're consistent with the rest.

3 hours ago, ShawnWolf said:

Basically the biggest sound issue is what Lewiatan said. I understand that UE4 won't do different stepping sounds for different surfaces for different animals, but I'd much rather have the old goofy "oomph" sounding footsteps than what we have now. The old footstep sounds were much more immersive and convincing than the new ones and was fitting for most surfaces. New footsteps sounds are like an AT-ST or a Transformer. Very immersion breaking to hear metal clanking from a large dino on the beach, would be better off with a dirt crushing sound underfoot like the old sounds

UE4 can do that, but due to how badly optimised this game is they had to limited even that part of the game to save performance according to SBaker. I hope that issue is temporary.

Just now, Lewiatan said:

UE4 can do that, but due to how badly optimised this game is they had to limited even that part of the game to save performance according to SBaker. I hope that issue is temporary.

Oh. Thanks for clarifying. I'm hoping that when optimisations come that they can add that in, as well as the previously mentioned being able to hear dino roar further than a hundred units away. 

It's kind of like on-ground item meshes. I would like that QoL improvement in the future.

1 minute ago, ShawnWolf said:

Oh. Thanks for clarifying. I'm hoping that when optimisations come that they can add that in, as well as the previously mentioned being able to hear dino roar further than a hundred units away. 

It's kind of like on-ground item meshes. I would like that QoL improvement in the future.

No problem, I hope they will add different walking sounds per material/texuture as we're reaching final version. Good sound design does miracles in the game. Can we imagine Battlefield 1 without feature we want now for ARK? I don't think so. It makes game way more believable and immersive.

As for on-ground-item meshes, I think they might come when game will be running as good as let's say Battlefield 1 on medium-end machines. But that's offtopic :)

Archived