Therizinosaurous KO strategies?

Quirky

I just call them big birds, and in the south/west regions they are the only thing I have a fear of. Apart from herds of troodons anyways, but the big birds are much more common. I have made numerous attempts at taming them. It's been easy enough to keep my distance by hiding behind a spike wall or something, but after a few tranqs, they run off. They run really far and usually end up losing aggro or getting stuck in a tree. Trying to kite them back to something I can hide behind has only ever resulted in my death, and the thought of continually building new walls to hide behind until it's actually knocked out seems extremely tedious. I have only successfully knocked out one, as I happened to get it lured into an area where it couldn't run very far. Even then, it wasn't quite as high in lvl as I wanted, and it was already 6 in the morning for me so I ended up killing it instead of taming. I've tried looking up strategies but seems all anyone has to say is shoot it with tranqs (um gee thanks that's super helpful ?). Most helpful advice I've seen is using a flyer with an extra seat to be able to hit it and it not hit you. But still, I would think that the running away would be just as much of an issue. Can't really use chain bolas, or rather don't want to unless I have someone else helping for that, and my experience with bear traps is that they don't hold long enough to matter and not something I want to try with big birds without knowing exactly how long it will hold and whether it's worth it before actually making any.

So I'd like to hear more detailed accounts of how you guys have managed your KOs. I have a portion of my base designed to be able to kite dinos into and trap for convenient taming, but is extremely difficult in practice for something as fast as big birds.

Build a stone taming pen and lure it in there. Works really well if you have a quick mount, but basically make an octagonal pen and lure it in. Once it's in, quickly wall off the sides. I'd advise going two walls high, but you may be able to get away with one. A bear trap can help if you have trouble getting it to stay put while you finish the pen, but I never needed it. Once closed, start tranqing. The Turkey can damage stone, but it's fairly low and you'll most likely have it trying to flee before it can deal any serious damage to the pen. It's a little grindy, but you can keep the pen afterwards for other larger tames

My main building is constructed with stone Dino gateways filled with walls, three wings with an actual gate in each, and in one I have a metal spike wall to make it into a cage. My one attempt to get a big bird into it resulted in it getting stuck in the wall/gate since I can only ever get the gate to open outward and he didn't follow me straight in. I got him unstuck, but that resulted in my death, and him wandering/running off a cliff to where I wouldn't be able to manage getting him back to my base. They regularly spawn nearby, I've had as many as five visible from the main building, I just have a big issue kiting them where I want them because of their speed. Never wanting to turn around to make sure they are still following cause that tends to end in death, but not doing so tends to end in losing them or also dying.

How long will a bear trap hold one?

1 hour ago, Jostabeere said:

I tamed them with Quetzals.

I do this as well, but it sound like the OP has no Quetz, so I was looking for another strategy for him. I usually chase them with my Quetz, stand up on the Quetz and shoot at them from above. This works out mainly. What I did not try yet is to pick them up with my Quetz and drop them in a taming pen.

stone pillars are your friend.

make a pen out of them, 3 rows wide and 3 rows deep, leave one side open => lure it in rby running through the pillars on the other side => close the entrance with pillars => congrats you got it stuck :D let the taming begin. of you are unsure if you can close the entrane without dying put a trap in to make it stuck. :) 

you only need 16 stone pillars for this. :) good luck

2 hours ago, magictina1970 said:

I do this as well, but it sound like the OP has no Quetz, so I was looking for another strategy for him. I usually chase them with my Quetz, stand up on the Quetz and shoot at them from above. This works out mainly. What I did not try yet is to pick them up with my Quetz and drop them in a taming pen.

I can verify this works, just be careful to pick the theri up the right way. If they're facing you they can still attack you, and they hurt. Found that one out the hard way. But it wasn't too big of an issue, I just dropped it in a safe spot then picked it up again facing away from us so it couldn't do anything.

@Quirky Do you mean a Behemoth Gate or a regular dino gate that you tried kiting it through? Behemoth Gates open both ways, you just have to do it from the correct side. Right is outward left is inward. Regular dino gates don't seem to behave that way but you can just make a new gate and flip it around backwards to get it to open inward as long as you don't mind the aesthetics. 

Another way to do it potentially is if you have a bird of any type, build a taming pen at the base of the cliff and use the bird to lure your theri of choice off the side of it deliberately, so it falls right into the pen. I used to do that with allos all the time because they're an absolute pain to KO. Might take a couple practice runs and you'll need the pen to be on the larger side, but it does work.

I built a trapper boat which works very well for this.  I just extended the foundations back and built a 2x3x2 pen out of stone with a dino gate (to get the dinos out after taming) and a regular door (to get myself out :) ) on the front.  Leave the top open and put ramps on one end.  Then just kite your dinos up the ramps and into the pit.  Works like a charm.

Only problem is, the boat never leaves shore anymore because I don't want it to get eaten by a Leed...

17 hours ago, Cymas said:

Another way to do it potentially is if you have a bird of any type, build a taming pen at the base of the cliff and use the bird to lure your theri of choice off the side of it deliberately, so it falls right into the pen. I used to do that with allos all the time because they're an absolute pain to KO. Might take a couple practice runs and you'll need the pen to be on the larger side, but it does work.

That's a really good idea. Can have the trap fully set up, not have to worry about being able to close it up without it escaping, just drop them right in. I can absolutely make that work without a flyer even.

10 hours ago, PedoBear said:

Lead them into a "U" shaped trap with a bear trap in it, when the bear trap grabs them for a few seconds you use that time to seal off the taming pen then start narcing them.Also "Right Alt" is your selfie cam which makes it really easy to look behind you to ensure the dino is still chasing you.

I'm on PS4, I don't believe there's a selfie cam.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:40 PM, PuffyPony said:

Build a stone taming pen and lure it in there. Works really well if you have a quick mount, but basically make an octagonal pen and lure it in. Once it's in, quickly wall off the sides. I'd advise going two walls high, but you may be able to get away with one. A bear trap can help if you have trouble getting it to stay put while you finish the pen, but I never needed it. Once closed, start tranqing. The Turkey can damage stone, but it's fairly low and you'll most likely have it trying to flee before it can deal any serious damage to the pen. It's a little grindy, but you can keep the pen afterwards for other larger tames

yea, build a stone pen to house it in and if you are lucky enough to have a wyvern or a quetz then you can pick up the "big bird"  and drop it in.

On Wed Apr 26 2017 at 7:35 AM, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Tripwire narcs? Lead it into 2-4 and it will have significant torpor. Then you can KO it with a dart/arrow when it runs. Be careful to not run into your trap yourself. 

I feel the need to point out the trip wire narcs don't work on dinos lol I'm sure they were just trolling but I'm gonna kill the joke for the OP's sanity lol

You can build a ramp on the wall of a taming pen and let it chase you up the ramp then when it falls in it's stuck and you can escape between door frames. This works with rexes and such, the only difference is they're hella fast lol Make a couple of beds by the pen and try again if you die?

10 hours ago, DragonEnchantress said:

I feel the need to point out the trip wire narcs don't work on dinos lol I'm sure they were just trolling but I'm gonna kill the joke for the OP's sanity lol

You can build a ramp on the wall of a taming pen and let it chase you up the ramp then when it falls in it's stuck and you can escape between door frames. This works with rexes and such, the only difference is they're hella fast lol Make a couple of beds by the pen and try again if you die?

Yes they do. Check wiki. You cannot KO the Dino directly with the traps, but the traps can deal massive amounts. 

Poison GRENADES don't work on dinos

11 hours ago, DragonEnchantress said:

I do this with most my theriz, outrun them barely at 130 speed watch out. Also ill add two things with these taming ramp pens and theriz:

1) They get lots of air off ramp, go slow or watch out it doesnt jump it (rip most of my tames as it soared into my base)

2) they WILL walk over 2 high walls if theyre pissed at you. Use 3

(Again ; rip my noobie argy i was using to lure this theriz lol)

@Quirky

Archived