Any elaboration on what the flyer nerf will entail?

Novarae

I don't know if I posted it here or elsewhere, but I am okay with a Pteradon being a simple mode of transportation without much in terms of attack abilities or carrying weight.  We use bigger birds for carrying.  I'd still like to see them able to pick up the small creatures they currently handle, but not players.  I'd hate for speed and/or stamina to be cut too much because the effect will be multiplicative.  So for instance, if there is a 20% cut in stam and a 20% cut in speed, all else being equal, that is a 36% cut in distance travelled.  If you went to 50% on both as some have suggested, you would be able to travel only 25% of the distance previous.  That is game changing, and not in a good way in my opinion.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally and just my opinion, do with it what you will.... but I think they need to pay a little bit more attention to the actual game. Quit screwing with everything (i personally have no issue with any of the animals, the materials yadda yadda yadda) but I do have a problem with the brutal lag in every server I jump into. I run 150 internet speed and can play any other online game just fine. As soon as Ark is involved the servers lag like no tomorrow. It screws with taming, it screws with fighting. If the point of the game is to survive, make it so that there's no rubber banding or bluescreening.

All I can say is thank the -GODS- we can have our own private servers and change it to revert your stupid effing dino nerfs. NOTHING needs changing. They all need to stay as is and just release the damn thing. Everyone's happy with all of it as is. Please for the love of gods and everything holy.. just stop.. just STOP CHANGING THINGS EVERY FREAKING PATCH. Getting really old. Y'all are just changing stuff around for no logical reason just because you feel you have to.

Playing on private servers is the only way to play, we can revert and ignore all of your stupid changes and keep the game how it's supposed to be.

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, SuperGenki said:

Hmmm....how do you explain the Therizinosaurus then? ;)

It's very aggressive and made us do such things.

Though in all seriousness they play the role of the apex-farmer I guess? Plus you can have a theriz that focuses on a particular kind of harvesting :) and there's nothing to say it won't get additional tweaks later ;).

54 minutes ago, Jat said:

It's very aggressive and made us do such things.

Though in all seriousness they play the role of the apex-farmer I guess? Plus you can have a theriz that focuses on a particular kind of harvesting :) and there's nothing to say it won't get additional tweaks later .;)

You have been warned fellas. Gigas used to be OP...yet I prefer farming meat on my much more mobile and effective REX now. 

Quetzs used to be super birds, they are only still used because there is not an alternative. 

Theriz will sadly live the same end eventually.

3 hours ago, Zederia said:

so.. 40% of what, exactly? current sta? max sta?  I'm not the mechanics guy, but maybe c spin should do a lower percentage vs speed? do we have any real numbers on the current version to crunch against?

I was suggesting 30-40% of max stam.  I think limiting pteras to 1-2 spins between landing would really change their combat ability without reducing their effectiveness as a scout/travel mount.  Also, it would remove a lot of their functionality in raids because we all know that one tribe member who would spin a rex without checking his stam and suddenly have to force land next to the thing.  Chomp Chomp!

I think the major problem with pteras is that they can be use as hit & run monsters by trolls. Spin, spin, spin, spin, run away if I get damaged at all.  I think a pteras place in combat should be scouting, and...that's it.  I don't think they should be able to pick enemy players, and I don't think they should be able to repeatedly spin stuff.  It makes almost no sense for a dino that always runs away and never attacks when untamed to suddenly turn into a killer sky death ninja.

So, now that you've basically stated that you're planning on making travel times, and likely, farming times, exponentially longer, is there any plan to address that fact?

Or are we all going to be doing 3 hour trips to the Volcano with bronto resource trains because the developers think it's "Fun"? 

Realistically, I spend two, three weeks preparing for PvP, and I can blow through it all in six hours, even if I do well. Less if I don't. Why is it, in your opinion, that you need to make that process longer?

Just now, iAmE said:

So, now that you've basically stated that you're planning on making travel times, and likely, farming times, exponentially longer, is there any plan to address that fact?

Or are we all going to be doing 3 hour trips to the Volcano with bronto resource trains because the developers think it's "Fun"? 

Yeah, also dino follow and land movement should be adressed. It's currently unappealing to use them, because they always get stuck on rocks, trees or launch themselves off cliffs when on follow or ridden, a problem not present in flyers.

It is however a good thing in my opinion that flyers are brought more in line with other dinos. But land creatures should also have their carry weight increased to compensate, as well as better movement in general. :)

6 minutes ago, Shrekasaurus said:

And why's that? The other saddles aren't op at all, hence why you never really see a Bronto or Paracer that often. A FLYING platform saddle would definitely pack some heat... 

To be fair, in PvP, all platform saddles are broken because they basically make the rider Immune to almost everything. Pretty much all that gets used in PvP is Ptera, Rex, Giga and Turtle + Platform Saddle dinos. 

3 hours ago, ThzNutz said:

there is no such thing:D

*cough* Thylacoleo *cough*

And my opinion of a flyer nerf is make Pteras borderline useless. They are a low tier tame and should be treated as such. You want offense/defensive options? you should need a quetzal. Make argies base stats a little faster and a little better weight while you're at it. Wyverns are fine, turrets eat them up like candy already lol. Im honestly more afraid of Pteras than I am Wyverns and that's not ok.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:26 PM, Danny118 said:

How do people feel about a large aggressive flier that will go after tamed birds before going after anything wild and therefore making the skies more treacherous in general. I was imagining something would essentially be a giga/mosa of the sky.

Yeah. Every now and then, instead of a Beacon drop coming down, a UFO should spawn and chase down tamed flyers, shooting at them with Tek shots. Hell, could even make it a boss, and if you somehow defeat it, get Tek Saddle BPs for Flyers.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Facebunz said:

Thylacoleo

tree kitties are alot of fun:D

2 minutes ago, Facebunz said:

Wyverns are fine, turrets eat them up like candy

and fds do not fall off a 10' high rock (rest in peace poor Tiahmat)

i'd say lets see how the changes are and give them some time to iterate upon those changes--it might just turn out fine:)

4 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

tree kitties are alot of fun:D

and fds do not fall off a 10' high rock (rest in peace poor Tiahmat)

i'd say lets see how the changes are and give them some time to iterate upon those changes--it might just turn out fine:)

For sure, that's just my opinion because I use Argies all the time anyway lol. 

R.I.P. Tiahmat...

So I know a lot of people will disagree with me. But, I actually like the state of birds. Or maybe its just I find my argie OP as raptor. 250 Argie, with 500% attack, 200% move speed, and almost 8k HP. oh did I mention the 2k weight? Ya, ive been raided twice by raiders and my argie has eaten them alive. Any bird can beat any other bird (except maybe wyverns), I can pick riders off their ptera with an argie, I can avoid most everything with a ptera, quetz is great for gathering making it convenient for BIG hauls, Wyverns are my only issue, but I just think they should have to stay on SE, nothing wrong with where their at. I'm scared for this nerf, but at the same time don't mind seeing if raiding becomes A LOT harder with flyers.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:44 AM, sal said:

I have not seen any further information but if i would guess it should be

* A huge nerf to the movement speed you get via levels, at least 50% reduction

* Pteras can no longer grab

* Remove Quetz Platform saddle

* A debuff to the bird when you carry a creature (slower movement, more stamina drain)

* A rework of the flight model, right now you fly like a X-Fighter in space, aerodynamics are completly ignored =)

but we will see =)

I just love this. Ptera one of the most easiest tame and breed should never ever been a force to be reckoned with. Ptera is literally the counter for every land animal and wyvern FFS. 

If you are telling me but . IF ME GO UP IN A REDWOOD TREEE I CAN CATCH A PTERA with a thylacaleo HUEUHUEUH. LV 350 + ptera are so fast that turret have a hard time catch up to them.

6 hours ago, 2jady said:

Been breeding for a very long time to get my stats up, would suck to see all that time wasted.

well that just too bad son. It was bound to happen, everything meta as high chance of getting nerf unlike something that is under performing. Like a raptor, i really dont see raptor getting nerf any time soon . But ptera are way too easy to breed and tame for what they do.

Should have breed Raptor since there 99 % chance that they wont be nerf. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
5 hours ago, kithylin said:

All I can say is thank the -GODS- we can have our own private servers and change it to revert your stupid effing dino nerfs. NOTHING needs changing. They all need to stay as is and just release the damn thing.

How can you revert the speed nerfs though? I'm still gutted that my pteras were nerfed so long back...

13 minutes ago, Carcajou said:

well that just too bad son. It was bound to happen, everything meta as high chance of getting nerf unlike something that is under performing. Like a raptor, i really dont see raptor getting nerf any time soon . But ptera are way too easy to breed and tame for what they do.

Should have breed Raptor since there 99 % chance that they wont be nerf. 

You realize that it's this train of thought that made Ptera's OP right?

The only reason Ptera's are "OMGSOOP" is because the developers have already gone through and gutted Argies for "OMGSOOP" reasons. Right?

Or did everyone forget about the days of God Argies?

If we listen to people like you, we may as well just all be riding Dodo's on the beach hitting each other with pillows. 

Although I really really hate the Quetz platform/Ank mining combo (ridiculous idea) I can't see how they can get rid of the platform now. It's been far too widely used so removing it (or even hugely nerfing it) would hand already established tribes an almost insurmountable advantage and make their jobs keeping the little guys down so much easier.

Unless, of course, they wipe on release ;)

Archived