Any elaboration on what the flyer nerf will entail?

Novarae

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not seen any further information but if i would guess it should be

* A huge nerf to the movement speed you get via levels, at least 50% reduction

* Pteras can no longer grab

* Remove Quetz Platform saddle

* A debuff to the bird when you carry a creature (slower movement, more stamina drain)

* A rework of the flight model, right now you fly like a X-Fighter in space, aerodynamics are completly ignored =)

but we will see =)

I just hope the devs learned from the BP fiasco, and wont have the same hasty, last minute brute force changes/clamping what they did there. 

But the fact this line had been added sneakily almost at the end of the patch development cycle indicates me, it wont be a well thought carefully designed and balanced change.... :(

More info would be really good, because I wouldn't spend more time on my quetz/ptera breeding projects if they clamp them to the oblivion soon...

From what I've read, Jat posted something a few weeks ago about how Birds once tamed early on essentially by pass the survival aspect of the game being able to fly from 1 part of the map to the other without stops. Pteranadons being the biggest offender being really really easy to tame a high level one, From this I've gathered it's probably going to be a Stam nerf and a Stam drain nerf probably primarily aimed at Pteranadons but affecting them all. MS nerfs and dmg multiplier increase nerfs are likely too.

Whatever it is,its affecting all of them,so maybe a big stamina/speed debuff.

I cant see it being anything else,the saddles got slashed,they already take more damage from bullets/bows.

Quetzals had a health debuff a while ago,i know they are still in excess of 55k on officials but i think thats ok.

Pteras not being able to pick would be interesting but i cant see that happening.

Hopefully we find out soon.

Lets be honest ariel combat in this game almost negates land tames if you have good quetzals and pteras, so maybe a re-balance would do good,who knows.

6 minutes ago, Morloa said:

From this I've gathered it's probably going to be a Stam nerf and a Stam drain nerf probably primarily aimed at Pteranadons but affecting them all. MS nerfs and dmg multiplier increase nerfs are likely too.

While that might be a good nerf for ptera, Argent/Tapejara/Pelagornis already have anemic damage and further nerf would make them utterly obsolete. If anything needs a nerf - its ptera's barrel roll (again) and speed for all flyers, especially wyvern.

32 minutes ago, szabiferi said:

I just hope the devs learned from the BP fiasco, and wont have the same hasty, last minute brute force changes/clamping what they did there. 

But the fact this line had been added sneakily almost at the end of the patch development cycle indicates me, it wont be a well thought carefully designed and balanced change.... :(

More info would be really good, because I wouldn't spend more time on my quetz/ptera breeding projects if they clamp them to the oblivion soon...

you know there was a big pinned topic requesting testers to give their opinion on the matter right? so not really sneaky

3 minutes ago, oScottieHo said:

Whatever it is,its affecting all of them,so maybe a big stamina/speed debuff.

I cant see it being anything else,the saddles got slashed,they already take more damage from bullets/bows.

Quetzals had a health debuff a while ago,i know they are still in excess of 55k on officials but i think thats ok.

Pteras not being able to pick would be interesting but i cant see that happening.

Hopefully we find out soon.

Lets be honest ariel combat in this game almost negates land tames if you have good quetzals and pteras, so maybe a re-balance would do good,who knows.

how in the world is a 55K health quetz OK. they flee when attacked in the wild, they shouldnt be war birds at all. even their dossier states they are slow haulers, but their MS is more than an argy...

I want them to:

get rid of quetz platform saddle completely its stupid.

slow MS HARD when carrying anything and make it so argy can carry small creatures up to size of raptors and quetz up to size of anky, nothing bigger like stegos and such. ptera and pela shouldnt carry anything at all.

drastically nerf the MS on all of the fliers and make it a stat you cant level.

IMO not 1 flier should even be used for assault with the exception of the argy for scouting or picking off attacks, but they should all die super fast to bulletfire.

Just now, DarthaNyan said:

While that might be a good nerf for ptera, Argent/Tapejara/Pelagornis already have anemic damage and further nerf would make them utterly obsolete. If anything needs a nerf - its ptera's barrel roll (again) and speed for all flyers, especially wyvern.

I think they'll are be affected to what they were originally planned to be if anything I think the Argentavis will benefit from this, Pteranadons already have far worse stam than a pteranadon (my pterandon line 1950 base stam) my Argent line (4500 base stam) they would have to specifically target the Argent to make it as useless as it is now. The aim of this is probably to stat birds back to what they were intended to be when ark was released the Pteranadons took frequent breaks and argentavis were able to fly long distances at the cost of being slower but staying in the air much longer so they were preferred. As the levels got buffed from 30 to 60 to 90 to 120 to 150 the balancing of birds seems to have escaped wildcard and allowed the pteranadon to be able to do laps of the map at high speeds rendering the argent's purpose in the game useless

5 minutes ago, Morloa said:

I think they'll are be affected to what they were originally planned to be if anything I think the Argentavis will benefit from this, Pteranadons already have far worse stam than a pteranadon (my pterandon line 1950 base stam) my Argent line (4500 base stam) they would have to specifically target the Argent to make it as useless as it is now. The aim of this is probably to stat birds back to what they were intended to be when ark was released the Pteranadons took frequent breaks and argentavis were able to fly long distances at the cost of being slower but staying in the air much longer so they were preferred. As the levels got buffed from 30 to 60 to 90 to 120 to 150 the balancing of birds seems to have escaped wildcard and allowed the pteranadon to be able to do laps of the map at high speeds rendering the argent's purpose in the game useless

True. I also liked flyer balance when lvl 30 was max (after argent infinite stamina during glide nerf - argents were battle birds and pteras were anti-argent-rider interceptors). But drastically increasing stamina drain on all flyers would affect low level tames (entry level for newer players) to the point of not being usable at all.

2 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

It would have to be balanced by limiting the number of auto firing stations... but would make bronto and paracer more viable and help nudge people to use them more than quetz for combat. 

they are used right now to tank bullets a lot ...

allowing turrets on them would be a huge power shift torwards attackers ...

4 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

I want them to:

get rid of quetz platform saddle completely its stupid.

slow MS HARD when carrying anything and make it so argy can carry small creatures up to size of raptors and quetz up to size of anky, nothing bigger like stegos and such. ptera and pela shouldnt carry anything at all.

drastically nerf the MS on all of the fliers and make it a stat you cant level..

A true Quetzel nerf has been along time coming, one that curbs infinite mining and how convenient it is. The introduction of the Quetzal was the exact point when the game changed, it's been the most useful dino since it was released as a Machine of war doubling as the best Farming dino in the game.

The third point is a silly suggestion if you're going to make them all slower at there base than they are which is already very slow than make it so it can't be levelled you're going to end up with the same thing that happens now where pteranadons are just all stat's stem and can fly the entire map and remain the most convenient form of transport that bypasses the survival aspect of the game.

The 2nd point would definitely limit what the pteranadon can achieve as a purely scouting bird.

2 minutes ago, Critter said:

YES to the potential 'no grab' Petra's change. IDK about the no platform saddle for Quetzals though. If they just reduce the platform limit by half, alright, but entirely? It's gonna make half the tasks we use quetzals for way more tedious 0-0

and it should be, maybe land dinos will see the light of day again then 

1 hour ago, Critter said:

YES to the potential 'no grab' Petra's change. IDK about the no platform saddle for Quetzals though. If they just reduce the platform limit by half, alright, but entirely? It's gonna make half the tasks we use quetzals for way more tedious 0-0

Why should they disable grabbing? Pteras will be useless then.

6 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

True. I also liked flyer balance when lvl 30 was max (after argent infinite stamina during glide nerf - argents were battle birds and pteras were anti-argent-rider interceptors). But drastically increasing stamina drain on all flyers would affect low level tames (entry level for newer players) to the point of not being usable at all.

Depends on how they decide to nerf they could always nerf it so it scales the same way the giga scales with melee however have a high base with incredibly low scalings, meaning that the difference between a 300 base pteranadon and a level 60 is 20 seconds of flight time

1 hour ago, Morloa said:

Pterandons will still posses the ability to C spin, they won't be as usefull but it is possible to C spin the rider of a dino

Still, I don't think that the abilities of flyers should be nerfed in any way. Rather, they should just take multiplied damage from weapons. Its good in both PvP and PvE

Just now, rororoxor said:

Still, I 

Still, I don't think that the abilities of flyers should be nerfed in any way. Rather, they should just take multiplied damage from weapons. Its good in both PvP and PvE

I see, Pteranadons and Argents get melted by Sniper fire and 1 tapped in the head to a JM+ Compound bow. I think they already take plenty of dmg unless you mean to turrets? cause that's something I could get behind.

10 minutes ago, Morloa said:

I see, Pteranadons and Argents get melted by Sniper fire and 1 tapped in the head to a JM+ Compound bow. I think they already take plenty of dmg unless you mean to turrets? cause that's something I could get behind.

good luck hitting a ptera at 300+ms speed on a laggy server ... not even turrets hit it then ...

the problem is the speed, they are too damn fast, faster than the game can handle by itself.

28 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

Why should they disable grabbing? Pteras will be useless then.

they have way more uses than that. 

they are available at lvl 35, this is a huge powerspike as it allows you to scout 100X faster and get small amounts of rare resources alot quicker.

they are ridiculously fast for personal transport

they can barrel roll anything to death

so i'd say they have more purpose than pick up a player

Archived