What are the dangers in PVE (ASA)

Slashianist

Hello.

Me and my girlfriend have started playing on official PVE and I would like to know what are the dangers for our base/dinos.

Can people kite wild dinos to our base to kill our dinos and destroy everything? Do I need high metal walls around everything to be safe?
Can our dinos be damaged through walls? Should our dinos be set on passive or neutral?

I just kinda wanna know what is the standard way of playing on PVE and keeping your stuff safe and what to look out for form someone who's experienced on official PVE.

Thank you.

Unfortunately PVE has a very toxic playerbase so yes you need to be prepared for that. Best practice would be to have all your stuff inside with a locked door, however i personally hate living in a big box so i always build a full roleplay style 'village', you need to have defence though, so turrets, plant-x and some dinos on neutral to kill wild dinos that may either wonder in or be kited to your base. Don't have everything on neutral, it will be chaos if everything tries to attack something and also it can be exploited to kite your dinos away.

Metal is pretty much safe against everything (excluding a few) but it depends if you want to live in a big bean can, i myself use stone and wood to build but also am fully aware repairs will need to be made occasionally. 

No, dinos and players cannot hit anything through any wall type, the difference is how long the wall can stand attacks before it breaks, in PVE stone and above is fine, although alphas can damage stone its unlikely they will stay committed to get inside your base.

When you logout, sleep in a bed.

If a titan is led to your base, do NOT hit it, as long as you dont attack, everything should be okay, if you do hit it, then its likely back to the beach for you if you are not prepared.

When you are offline, nothing can be killed or damaged excluding your player.

• Like 1

The old system made it possible to have multiple layered walls so you could hide the metal if you don't like to live in a tin can.
You do need defense, even on PvE. In my experience the majority of players was nice but you only need one single troll to wreck a server. Try to make your defenses as passive as possible to avoid agroing normaly peacefull creatures, or make them as strong as you can to kill all.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 hours ago, Slashianist said:

Hello.

Me and my girlfriend have started playing on official PVE and I would like to know what are the dangers for our base/dinos.

Can people kite wild dinos to our base to kill our dinos and destroy everything? Do I need high metal walls around everything to be safe?
Can our dinos be damaged through walls? Should our dinos be set on passive or neutral?

I just kinda wanna know what is the standard way of playing on PVE and keeping your stuff safe and what to look out for form someone who's experienced on official PVE.

Thank you.

Due to ORP, nothing much is a danger in PVE anymore. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yggdrassil said:

Unfortunately PVE has a very toxic playerbase so yes you need to be prepared for that. Best practice would be to have all your stuff inside with a locked door, however i personally hate living in a big box so i always build a full roleplay style 'village', you need to have defence though, so turrets, plant-x and some dinos on neutral to kill wild dinos that may either wonder in or be kited to your base. Don't have everything on neutral, it will be chaos if everything tries to attack something and also it can be exploited to kite your dinos away.

Metal is pretty much safe against everything (excluding a few) but it depends if you want to live in a big bean can, i myself use stone and wood to build but also am fully aware repairs will need to be made occasionally. 

No, dinos and players cannot hit anything through any wall type, the difference is how long the wall can stand attacks before it breaks, in PVE stone and above is fine, although alphas can damage stone its unlikely they will stay committed to get inside your base.

When you logout, sleep in a bed.

If a titan is led to your base, do NOT hit it, as long as you dont attack, everything should be okay, if you do hit it, then its likely back to the beach for you if you are not prepared.

When you are offline, nothing can be killed or damaged excluding your player.

To develop on this,

The titanosaur can damage your tames if someone stands next to them and lets themself take damage. At this point, if your tames are on neutral, they will aggro the titan directly which "gives it permission" to destroy your base.

If your tames are on passive, they still take damage, but not your structures. So, if someone kites to you, the safer play is to whistle all your dinos in a spot that can't be reached, on passive. The titan will not damage your house at this point.

Also noteworthy is that they have an extremely short attention span.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Slashianist said:

Hello.

Thank you.

If you play on unofficial there are some great mods people are adding that make the game pretty fun. You may want to check out one of those.

5 hours ago, MMaas said:

The old system made it possible to have multiple layered walls so you could hide the metal if you don't like to live in a tin can.
You do need defense, even on PvE. In my experience the majority of players was nice but you only need one single troll to wreck a server. Try to make your defenses as passive as possible to avoid agroing normaly peacefull creatures, or make them as strong as you can to kill all.

A very useful Tip, I say it myself, if you dont have a bunker, but rather just walls, is to keep in mind that Re-fertilizer can recover big rocks (ASE) These other players can use to get dinos over your walls...
Remember where those big rocks were, so you can fortify your walls better at that point, or replace your walls more accordingly...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SunsetErosion said:

A very useful Tip, I say it myself, if you dont have a bunker, but rather just walls, is to keep in mind that Re-fertilizer can recover big rocks (ASE) These other players can use to get dinos over your walls...
Remember where those big rocks were, so you can fortify your walls better at that point, or replace your walls more accordingly...

Re-fertilizer is annoying to work with but indeed a possible tool for trolls. Unfortunatly there's not much you can do against a quetzal or other dino with platform saddle and ramps except becoming paranoid and make the walls realy high.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

To develop on this,

The titanosaur can damage your tames if someone stands next to them and lets themself take damage. At this point, if your tames are on neutral, they will aggro the titan directly which "gives it permission" to destroy your base.

If your tames are on passive, they still take damage, but not your structures. So, if someone kites to you, the safer play is to whistle all your dinos in a spot that can't be reached, on passive. The titan will not damage your house at this point.

Also noteworthy is that they have an extremely short attention span.

I haven't tested this in a long time. But I'm pretty sure they patched that out many years ago. As long as you/tribe doesn't damage it. It won't hurt you. 

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I haven't tested this in a long time. But I'm pretty sure they patched that out many years ago. As long as you/tribe doesn't damage it. It won't hurt you. 

Someone on our server was kited to on our pve server the other day, they lost about 50 dinos, but their base was intact.

Yesterday, someone was fighting a titan and it hit a tamed bronto, which fought back

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Someone on our server was kited to on our pve server the other day, they lost about 50 dinos, but their base was intact.

Yesterday, someone was fighting a titan and it hit a tamed bronto, which fought back

I bet it was the old ASE code lol back in the game. They did change it back in the day. Titan kiting was never a thing after that. 

image.png

Edited by Joebl0w13

4 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I bet it was the old ASE code lol back in the game. They did change it back in the day. Titan kiting was never a thing after that. 

image.png

I'm of the same opinion, in ASE Official PVE I had the base "open" and near a Titan Spawn, several times I had his paws completely above my tames, he didn't do damage to anything as long as no one attacked him. But ASA seems to have the original code of ASE (I wouldn't be surprised if in AB the turrets won't see the Meks) so now I'm wary of relying 100% on the ASE experience.

However Orp Pve works if you're offline, plus the new pathfinding should stop the Titan from literally climbing over your base (?).

The only note I would pay attention to is the Plant-X which could attack it automatically (I haven't yet tested in ASA if they have specific exclusion functions, which is my hope :D).

---

Ultimately: I would worry more about the Alpha creatures...

3 hours ago, CervantesMor said:

The only note I would pay attention to is the Plant-X which could attack it automatically (I haven't yet tested in ASA if they have specific exclusion functions, which is my hope :D).

In ASE Titanosaur, and alphas would never be targeted by turrets. It would also be hard for anyone to tame a Titano, just to be able to add it to a exclude list :/
I dont remember the outcome for the Turret, accidently hitting a Titano, but I think the outcome was, the titano ignores those hits...
Or something like, it only gets enough agro after 4-5 hits.

Edit: I think Alphas, Titanos are in a different "faction" or tamegroup. Like Alpha Raptors are, in my experience never targeted by hyenadons for example. But normal raptors are, when the Hyenadons are in a large group?

Edited by SunsetErosion
  • Thanks 1